Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Twerk from Home posted:

The refined adult baby will play games while his Tesla drives him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

People will use it. It's amazing. Being able to take your game even just to your bed, or to your couch while someone else watches something else, is an amazing experience. And now there's no tether.
I'm sure plenty of people will use it, I'm just saying if you won't then it makes sense to be down on it even being an option. It clearly took up a large amount of R&D, engineering and hardware costs that, if you just want Thing What Makes Videogame On Teevee, are doing nothing for you.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Does this thing have StreetPass? I hope it has StreetPass.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm sure plenty of people will use it, I'm just saying if you won't then it makes sense to be down on it even being an option. It clearly took up a large amount of R&D, engineering and hardware costs that, if you just want Thing What Makes Videogame On Teevee, are doing nothing for you.

Anybody who says they wouldn't use it in portable mode is quite frankly ridiculous.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'ma saw off the edges of my WiiU gamepad tonight to prepare :smuggo:

I read somewhere the dock won't have any processing power, which would make the thing much too expensive anyway. I hope for some external fan action to bump up the resolution with passive cooling when portable

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also are there price rumors yet? Anything less than $350 would be a welcome surprise imo

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I dunno if the stock dock has any processing power in it, but Nintendo did patent a way to daisy chain processors together through a supplementary unit so it's possible in the future we could see upgrade docks since mid generation upgrades seem to be all the rage these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I agree, but I don't think the Switch is going to compete with the 3DS. As ridiculous as it sounds, I think the Switch is a Home Console that you can play anywhere, while the 3DS is a dedicated handheld console, there's a distinction. The two screens alone (unless the tablet bit can be used like a gamepad) will keep them separate, I think.

there is a 0% chance that nintendo puts so much effort into creating a hybrid portable console that gives them the opportunity to focus all first-party development efforts onto a single platform and then inexplicably continues making 3DS games

wicka fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 21, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

At very minimum, it's a way to play 3DS quality games portably or on the TV. That's a huge win. I'd imagine people would pay $200 for a new portable and $100 for an adapter. If it comes in at $350 and can deliver decent quality ports or remasters that's a real fuckin' deal.

At best, it has good originals and ports and performance to rival XB/PS.

At absolute worst, plague sweeps the earth and we all die in agony.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Maybe more things will be modular, like the screen, battery and CPU board so they can just sell you the Switch2 CPU addon in 2018

Also maybe all games will be cartridge only to make piracy impossible and enable on-cart graphics hardware and stuff

Chance of the above < 1%

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

At very minimum, it's a way to play 3DS quality games portably or on the TV. That's a huge win. I'd imagine people would pay $200 for a new portable and $100 for an adapter. If it comes in at $350 and can deliver decent quality ports or remasters that's a real fuckin' deal.

At best, it has good originals and ports and performance to rival XB/PS.

At absolute worst, plague sweeps the earth and we all die in agony.

How would you play 3ds games on one screen, possibly without touch functionality?

E: I read quote as "3ds ports" or w/e please disregard

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

has ANYONE ever shipped a device with exchangeable screen or CPU?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

How would you play 3ds games on one screen, possibly without touch functionality?

3Ds quality, meaning depth and graphic fidelity, not necessarily exactly 3Ds games

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I think I'm almost more excited about it (probably) having a Tegra X2 in it than anything else. I really want to see what modern mobile architecture is capable of when you push the limits.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Philip Rivers posted:

I dunno if the stock dock has any processing power in it, but Nintendo did patent a way to daisy chain processors together through a supplementary unit so it's possible in the future we could see upgrade docks since mid generation upgrades seem to be all the rage these days.

I don't think it will, but having it docked might make it kick on its fans and put the existing processor into a higher power usage mode since battery becomes no longer a concern.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

has ANYONE ever shipped a device with exchangeable screen or CPU?

Excepting co-processors? None afaik, this one won't work that way either. Well, wasn't there talk of a modular phone at some point, that everyone forgot about after a while?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ironically, one of the things that will make Switch's off-TV functions less sloppy than the Wii U is the fact that they're removing the two-screen concept.

On Wii U, playing with the TV off meant a game that was designed for two screens had to be condensed to one. Devs didn't always bother doing this well, and the interface to activate the mode was always different. The games that worked best off-TV were the ones that just replicated the exact same image on both displays.

Switch is designed to enforce automatic parity between "TV mode" and "handheld mode", even going so far as to block the handheld's screen while it's docked. It's always a one-screen experience and the control options are always the same.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I think I'm almost more excited about it (probably) having a Tegra X2 in it than anything else. I really want to see what modern mobile architecture is capable of when you push the limits.

I wonder if it'll heat up in any appreciable ways. Many phones get toasty, the 3Ds gets mildly warm. This is probably going to be one of the more gutsy handhelds out. I wonder how they'll stop it causing clammy hand.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

By displaying the content of both screens on a single bigger Screen. The 2DS does it...
e: touch functionality is another question though...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I still don't understand what's so "gimmicky" about the tablet controller. I mean, it's there for if people want to use it (e.g. in TMS #FE - although maybe off-tv would have been better there). It has completely standard buttons which you'd find on other controllers, just with a touchscreen in the middle. Otherwise it can be used for off-tv play. You can play a lot of WiiU games with the Pro controller, even things like W101 which does use the gamepad for some functions.

anything different is a "gimmick"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

I wonder if it'll heat up in any appreciable ways. Many phones get toasty, the 3Ds gets mildly warm. This is probably going to be one of the more gutsy handhelds out. I wonder how they'll stop it causing clammy hand.

When the joycons get clammy you just dump them and grab a fresh pair out of your SwitchBag

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fuckin plebs not using a switchbelt

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

wicka posted:

anything different is a "gimmick"
I think it's more anything produced by Nintendo these days is just branded a gimmick. I mean, you can do off-tv play/2nd screen stuff with PS3/4 and Vita.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SenseLess posted:

By displaying the content of both screens on a single bigger Screen. The 2DS does it...

That wouldn't make sense with the form factor though, you'd need to place it portrait-style and play the portable games while sitting next to a table

That said the architecture should allow for simple 3ds ports which would be a pretty good money printer. Uh, maybe a dedicated portrait controller dock, with IR sensors to get touch functionality? :shrug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Please hire me Nintendo I'm a great idea guy

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

That wouldn't make sense with the form factor though, you'd need to place it portrait-style and play the portable games while sitting next to a table
Well i suppose you could display them side by side.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

no Wii U compatibility? Do you think we'll get ports of the Zelda HD titles? The dream would be to get the vesrions of the 3DS and Wii U remasters all one one device.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

well why not posted:

You won't ever really be holding it by the body so as long as it isn't like, radiating heat at you it shouldn't be much of an issue. But yes, I'd imagine it would get warm.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

wicka posted:

there is a 0% chance that nintendo puts so much effort into creating a hybrid portable console that gives them the opportunity to focus all first-party development efforts onto a single platform and then inexplicably continues making 3DS games

They really should emphasize this point instead of going "The Switch is primarily a home console!". The thing I'm most looking forward, as a person that hasnt bought a nintendo home console since GC but has kept buying the portable iterations, is a unified system for their first party games. If the Switch fails then there best bet is to just go full 3rd party instead of going back to independent systems.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I don't think the Switch is gonna fail though. I actually think this is gonna be a big deal, and a big breakthrough for/legitimizer of 'serious' mobile gaming.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I think it's more anything produced by Nintendo these days is just branded a gimmick. I mean, you can do off-tv play/2nd screen stuff with PS3/4 and Vita.

yep. merging your console and handheld lines so that you only have to support one platform is as close to a pure business decision as you'll ever see from nintendo. there's nothing gimmicky about it.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They really should emphasize this point instead of going "The Switch is primarily a home console!". The thing I'm most looking forward, as a person that hasnt bought a nintendo home console since GC but has kept buying the portable iterations, is a unified system for their first party games. If the Switch fails then there best bet is to just go full 3rd party instead of going back to independent systems.

people have talked a lot about them trying not to "dilute the message," i suppose it's possible that their testing suggested it was easier to sell a home console as a portable than vice versa. you could also make the argument that it's a heck of a lot easier to sell a nintendo handheld and thus they would put more effort towards marketing it as a home console. but you're right, they haven't been clear enough yet.

wicka fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 21, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They were insistent that the NX wouldn't kill the 3DS a few months ago. Not that I think that's anything but a bald-faced lie, but they definitely seemed actively opposed to marketing it that way. Could be that they want to put the Wii U to bed but drag out the 3DS's much greater success a while longer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SenseLess posted:

The WiiU does it also, or rather, allows that configuration, for DS Virtual Console games. It would probably be easier/better on the Switch though. since you can use a stand (assuming the stand allows you to place it vertically, instead of just horizontally).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, I'm much more open to Switch than Wii / Wii U. There's not really an obvious downside to this thing. Wii lost be on annoying control schemes, Wii U didn't seem like it had appealing games until fairly recently.

If this thing launches with or near a Zelda title and can run ports of the good Wii U games then I can see it doing huge business.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are about to sell another 5 million 3/2DS consoles with the new Pokemon however, so now's not really the time for this message to come through.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wicka posted:

yep. merging your console and handheld lines so that you only have to support one platform is as close to a pure business decision as you'll ever see from nintendo. there's nothing gimmicky about it.

people have talked a lot about them trying not to "dilute the message," i suppose it's possible that their testing suggested it was easier to sell a home console as a portable than vice versa. you could also make the argument that it's a heck of a lot easier to sell a nintendo handheld and thus they would put more effort towards marketing it as a home console. but you're right, they haven't been clear enough yet.

This also means that developers will be more focussed on the singular platform - I'd expect that'll encourage optimsation to a higher standard.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SenseLess posted:

Well i suppose you could display them side by side.

True. Actually, portrait mode doesn't work quite perfectly either:

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
:ohdear: Wondering how is it possible to play Splatoon in portable mode? The gyro controls are what made Splatoon so great for me, I could actually play a console shooter because I really, really suck at aiming with the joysticks.

When you Switch to Portable Mode though, wouldn't you be swinging the screen around while you aim?

Bird Law fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 21, 2016

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Depends where the gyros are.

If they're in the joycons, you're laughin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The trailer shows the Splatoon players all using Pro Controllers. If those have gyros this time around, the game should play basically the same.

• Locked thread