Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Father O'Blivion posted:

If our national intelligence agencies are to be believed, Russia has had a hand meddling with our system of democracy and the techology and culture it produces to better the world.

Why does that matter? What is the implication either way?

sebmojo posted:

russia has the gdp of south korea

Can you all please just start openly saying what your position is instead of writing one line and hoping that cross-cultural, translated inferences on an internet forum will make your intention clear to anyone. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

botany posted:

Can you all please just start openly saying what your position is instead of writing one line and hoping that cross-cultural, translated inferences on an internet forum will make your intention clear to anyone. Thank you.

What are you talking about.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
On a subway train in China and the news is running a "Bernie got screwed" pro wiki leaks story. Ugh

On the plus side, I enjoyed explaining why Trump is going to get trounced by Hillary to students in my AP Physics class. We were discussing different types of models and I used 538 as an example.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

botany posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Let us English posted:

On a subway train in China and the news is running a "Bernie got screwed" pro wiki leaks story. Ugh

On the plus side, I enjoyed explaining why Trump is going to get trounced by Hillary to students in my AP Physics class. We were discussing different types of models and I used 538 as an example.

I realize this is the least important part of your post, but, they have AP classes in China?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

JFairfax posted:

The British people have just voted to destroy their own country.

Crippling a country with sanctions worked well in Iraq, 500,000 dead Iraqi children sure got rid of saddam.

Russians are a bit crazy and like Americans quite a lot of them like a strong man and dislike gays? (Which is a little contradictory but that's life)

Sanctions regimes and trade restrictions don't work in fermenting revolution and regime change, the population sees through it and blames the foreign state for this and not their own government

Is that why Iran has no nuclear program now? Sanctions sometimes work and sometimes don't. The US needs the right policy tool for the right job, and you need new talking points. Iraq? Really? You sound like some dumb frustration WTO protestor from 1999.

Lightning Knight posted:

I realize this is the least important part of your post, but, they have AP classes in China?

I teach on behalf of a school in the US. Lots of America bound students take the AP exams. They're smart kids but I'm not bullish on their chances at this point in the semester. Lots of 3 and 4s in that class' future. AP exams require a level of reading and writing skill that is hard to teach in a majority Chinese environment. Even if my class is in English, they need full immersion to get them from high-intermediate to advanced.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 21, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Considering all of this is probably most directly caused by Obama retaliating for the birther bullshit - is there any idea of why Trump was so bothered by Obama in '08?
I guess the way he responded rather directly points towards the worst of explanations, but are there any other likely explanations?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Cingulate posted:

Considering all of this is probably most directly caused by Obama retaliating for the birther bullshit - is there any idea of why Trump was so bothered by Obama in '08?
I guess the way he responded rather directly points towards the worst of explanations, but are there any other likely explanations?

He was radicalized into a Breitbart-spewing Cheeto Fascist by Sean Hannity.

He was then rich enough to get the purestrain Crazy from the central figures of the vast right wing conspiracy. He befriended them, and then now they run his campaign for the presidency.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

People said the same thing about Rick Santorum after 2012. He's a loser, and he's embarassed himself enormously with his horribly timed embrace of Trump

Plus he came in 2nd behind a guy who didn't even get a Majority and who swept out a bunch of supposedly Religious Right states from under his feet

But there are still people that pine for him because they believe somehow Zodiac Killer is a kinder, gentler, more electable republican because he went hard on Christian Values(tm). Of course, I only heard this before he finally caved in and endorsed trump, so who loving knows now which way the "WE AREN'T RACIST" winds are blowing for the Rs that would vote for Satan just to avoid wearing the Trump Orange on their brand's sleeve.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What are you talking about.

He's saying the dude is a racist who is "just asking questions," and is asking him to stop beating around the bush and make his hateful point directly instead of hiding it behind bullshit.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The more I read about Brexit the more it seems like that Halloween story with the cursed monkeys paw.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Agnosticnixie posted:

France doesn't have a weak executive.

I want to print this post, frame it, and send it to François Hollande for his birthday, with a little note that says "Look, here's your last supporter in the world, cherish this moment forever"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

botany posted:

I was saying that russia has the GDP of south korea

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno. I choose not to boil down the people of Russia to their unelected representative. I haven't been to Russia and my Russian history is sketchy but I know they're an ancient and vibrant people with a strong culture who have endured more hardship than most Americans would care to think about. Hurr durr what have Russians done this century for the world is a loving stupid and rear end in a top hat thing to even imply.

Edit:

Any (dumb Clancy-ish) hypothetical war between Russia and Germany would probably center on the ground anyway and last I checked Germany doesn't gently caress around with their tanks.

Edit 2: I am absolutely guilty of using "the Russians" as shorthand for the Putin regime but the people of Russia didn't choose him and aren't the ones responsible for the lovely things he does. He's a tyrant, not a president.
Pretty sure they don't even have one full armor division anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

I figured he was just a deep personal grudge keeping person in general and you never know what will set one of them off.

Edit: oh, did you mean why he started the birther thing in the first place? I guess it's not that then. I guess he hates it when black people seek political power?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno. I choose not to boil down the people of Russia to their unelected representative. I haven't been to Russia and my Russian history is sketchy but I know they're an ancient and vibrant people with a strong culture who have endured more hardship than most Americans would care to think about. Hurr durr what have Russians done this century for the world is a loving stupid and rear end in a top hat thing to even imply.

Edit:

Any (dumb Clancy-ish) hypothetical war between Russia and Germany would probably center on the ground anyway and last I checked Germany doesn't gently caress around with their tanks.

Edit 2: I am absolutely guilty of using "the Russians" as shorthand for the Putin regime but the people of Russia didn't choose him and aren't the ones responsible for the lovely things he does. He's a tyrant, not a president.

Putin is WILDLY popular in Russia. He may be a tyrant, but sometimes tyrants are also elected president (multiple times in Putin's case).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured he was just a deep personal grudge keeping person in general and you never know what will set one of them off.

Edit: oh, did you mean why he started the birther thing in the first place? I guess it's not that then. I guess he hates it when black people seek political power?

Maybe we should just accept the most obvious and simple answer that Donald J Trump was always just plain racist.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crabtree posted:

Maybe we should just accept the most obvious and simple answer that Donald J Trump was always just plain racist.

Are there people who don't think that?

Pretty sure that's a big reason his base supports him.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

That is a correct observation, well done you. You made that observation after I said that the US and Russia are both doing terrible things around the world, which leads me to believe that you think your observation is relevant to that discussion. If that's the case I would like you to elaborate. Super glad we're having this talk, btw.

edit: Looking up the data that is actually not a correct observation lmao. But I'd still like you to explain why it matters.

botany fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 21, 2016

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

twerking on the railroad posted:

Putin is WILDLY popular in Russia. He may be a tyrant, but sometimes tyrants are also elected president (multiple times in Putin's case).

Yeah, and Dear Leader is wildly popular in North Korea. Fear of being jailed or fed a polonium sandwich for dissent will do WONDERS for your approval rating.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It was polonium tea, thank you very much.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It was polonium tea, thank you very much.

yeah you fool

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I want to print this post, frame it, and send it to François Hollande for his birthday, with a little note that says "Look, here's your last supporter in the world, cherish this moment forever"

Fine "France has a technically powerful executive office filled with a weak executive"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, and Dear Leader is wildly popular in North Korea. Fear of being jailed or fed a polonium sandwich for dissent will do WONDERS for your approval rating.

IMHO you need a certain amount of popular support or you're done. Ask Ceausescu about that.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Spacedad posted:

Also in breaking news on that subject; after months of outlining a plan for brexit from scratch - what they've come up as their plan is hilariously British in its crushing mediocrity:

https://www.indy100.com/article/the...campaign=buffer

:doh:

This of course was after much ado from pro-brexiteers about the amazing economic powerhouse of tech and industry Britain would become exporting its goods to the world.

'We're gonna do a bake sale!'

Let Brexit be a lesson to us in the US - don't let racist demagogues get away with spreading misinformation across your country, or you'll wake up to find your economy based on selling your finest girl scout cookies.

Pro-Brexit video game from the future past, TeaJam & Earl (Grey)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Yeah except Kim JongUn's approval rating is fake and Putin's isn't. Putin is genuinely popular as hell in Russia. His 80+ approval rating of course still has a lot to do with his dictatorial control over the media and the suppression of all stories that make him look bad, but even an approval rating based on skewed reporting is still a genuine approval rating. Putin isn't going to be deposed any time soon, Russians by and large love the man.

edit: To make my point clearer, his approval rating is not because people are scared of being disappeared, it's because people only ever hear positive things about him, and the Kremlin propaganda machine is very very effective.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

is that racist?

botany posted:

That is a correct observation, well done you. You made that observation after I said that the US and Russia are both doing terrible things around the world, which leads me to believe that you think your observation is relevant to that discussion. If that's the case I would like you to elaborate. Super glad we're having this talk, btw.

edit: Looking up the data that is actually not a correct observation lmao. But I'd still like you to explain why it matters.

http://country-facts.findthedata.com/compare/26-113/Russia-vs-South-Korea

russia's gdp is 1.33 trillion, south korea's is 1.38 so sorry - russia's gdp is lower than south korea's, my mistake. the US is 18 trillion.

Russia is acting like the underdog it is, but all the talk is of big dog posturings. Seems relevant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here let me enumerate the many non-racist and non-nationalist reasons why someone would ask for a list of recent Russian accomplishments:

1) Writing a report on recent Russian accomplishments

2) Random curiosity

Hmm actually there aren't all that many

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Yeah, those are not comparable situations. Kim Jong-Un is popular because there's a cult around his family. Putin originally became popular because he navigated Russia out of the recession of the late Yeltsin years. He's now popular because the Russian right wing likes the idea of re-asserting the Russian sphere of influence and a return to the time when Russia was a great power. Also because he's cool with them oppressing the gays and immigrants from former Soviet republics.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

botany posted:

an approval rating based on skewed reporting is still a genuine approval rating.

uh

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

botany posted:

[...]an approval rating based on skewed reporting is still a genuine approval rating.

... I'll dispute you on this. No its not. If you put your finger on a scale to make it tilt one way (that isn't statistically proven to make it more accurate like now normal polls are done) it's not a genuine approval rating (whatever that means).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

is that racist?
I never called you racist, and of course it isn't.

quote:

http://country-facts.findthedata.com/compare/26-113/Russia-vs-South-Korea

russia's gdp is 1.33 trillion, south korea's is 1.38 so sorry - russia's gdp is lower than south korea's, my mistake. the US is 18 trillion.

Russia and SK have very different populations. Russian GDP per capita is ~11.000USD, SK GDP per capita is ~25kUSD. I really think those are the figures that matter more than aggregate GDP. Of course they also make Russia look even weaker.

quote:

Russia is acting like the underdog it is, but all the talk is of big dog posturings. Seems relevant.

I still don't really understand what this means, to be honest. Are you saying that Russia acts out on the world stage because it is economically weak, and the US does it for other reasons? Are you saying we shouldn't take Russia seriously? Or more seriously? I'm not trying to antagonize you here, I just honestly don't know why you're bringing GDP into a discussion about war crimes. I don't see the connection.

edit:

QuarkJets posted:

Here let me enumerate the many non-racist and non-nationalist reasons why someone would ask for a list of recent Russian accomplishments:

1) Writing a report on recent Russian accomplishments

2) Random curiosity

Hmm actually there aren't all that many

That was a different poster.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

botany posted:

Yeah except Kim JongUn's approval rating is fake and Putin's isn't. Putin is genuinely popular as hell in Russia. His 80+ approval rating of course still has a lot to do with his dictatorial control over the media and the suppression of all stories that make him look bad, but even an approval rating based on skewed reporting is still a genuine approval rating. Putin isn't going to be deposed any time soon, Russians by and large love the man.

edit: To make my point clearer, his approval rating is not because people are scared of being disappeared, it's because people only ever hear positive things about him, and the Kremlin propaganda machine is very very effective.

For a country as geographically and culturally diverse as Russia, an 85%+ approval rating still seems a little bit far fetched imho, but yeah you're right, I retract my dumb comparison.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... I'll dispute you on this. No its not. If you put your finger on a scale to make it tilt one way (that isn't statistically proven to make it more accurate like now normal polls are done) it's not a genuine approval rating (whatever that means).

A genuine approval rating is one that accurately reflects what the people it polls think. For whatever reason. The reason that Russians approve of Putin are suspect as gently caress, but that doesn't mean their approval isn't genuine. This is somewhat important when we have posters in the last couple of pages speculating about how long it will take for Russians to overthrow Putin. North Korea has a higher chance of a revolt because the approval ratings there are actually fake, as in, don't reflect what the populace thinks. Russians are not going to overthrow a leader they respect and trust.

edit:

For a country as geographically and culturally diverse as Russia, an 85%+ approval rating still seems a little bit far fetched imho, but yeah you're right, I retract my dumb comparison.

It should be noted that (a) US polling firms actually conduct polls in Russia and get the same results, and (b) this result isn't static, and during the winter olympics Putin lost 20%. He made that up by invading Crimea and "fighting ISIS", both of which are hugely popular in Russia.

botany fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 21, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everyone getting caught by the fishmech.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Twitter? Neither the app nor the website are working for me. Can't connect to either

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scent of Worf posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Twitter? Neither the app nor the website are working for me. Can't connect to either

Working fine for me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A few years back, I went to a meeting organized by an experienced Democratic operative. She was giving training on party building, and after giving an impassioned speech about how Obama's healthcare reforms saved her life, she explained that every single person who wants to grow the Democratic party needs to have a story of their own, because that's what takes people by the heart. She explained that every person in the room had been invited because they'd been involved above and beyond normal, which meant we all had a special reason for being there, and asked us to pair off and explain to someone else why we were here.

I told the story of Vilerat, how I had an internet friend who taught me a ton about the value of diplomacy, and how it's such a powerful weapon. I told her about how I feel every time I see political cartoons where the cartoonist draws Hillary Clinton dancing on his grave. And I told her about that picture, with Mitt Romney smirking because he knew he'd just scored some serious political points while blood was still drying. Every time I feel discouraged about political activism, I just need to look at that picture and get an instant reminder of the awfulness I'm fighting against.

The woman I told this story to cried, and then a bell rang and it was her turn to tell me about why she got involved.

When she was a student, she was really into Model UN. She had a friend there named Christopher Stevens.

Ten pages ago but goddamn. :smith:

Also yeah twitter is broke for me. DNS issues maybe.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Starshark posted:

IMHO you need a certain amount of popular support or you're done. Ask Ceausescu about that.

There's something morbidly satisfying about watching that video with the show trial and execution of the Ceausescus. gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/789423803767992320

goin well trumpster

• Locked thread