Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, had my first bug; as Saladin, I had a joint war declared on me by... Saladin and Tomyris. Except Saladin talked about me feeling the might of Sumer or something, so I'm assuming it's actually Gilgamesh (though I haven't met him yet). Bizarre.

Edit: Yeah, checking my messages, it's Gilgamesh. Hm. I guess he showed up as me because I haven't met him properly yet, and he only came in due to the joint war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
How do I increase "amenities". Seems like it is the replacement for local happiness, but yet I cannot figure out how to increase the values to at least 0 :(

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

drat, now I want a Surface just for Civ. I wonder how it will perform later in the game on a large and busy map.

edit:

Roland Jones posted:

Well, had my first bug; as Saladin, I had a joint war declared on me by... Saladin and Tomyris. Except Saladin talked about me feeling the might of Sumer or something, so I'm assuming it's actually Gilgamesh (though I haven't met him yet). Bizarre.

There's been reports on Reddit about this as well. Sometimes the AI will accidentally wear your skin.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

by default F6 quick loads. loving amazing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

du -hast posted:

How do I increase "amenities". Seems like it is the replacement for local happiness, but yet I cannot figure out how to increase the values to at least 0 :(

Luxury resources, some civics and certain buildings provide amenities. If you're early game grabbing a luxury resource is probably the quickest way to get some. You only need to worry about having positive total amenities, I don't believe the bonus scales based on how many excess you have.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Amenities is a very boring word

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, if you build factories in two cities with six tile radius of each other, do you get +3 from each for total of +6 or just a +3 and the second factory's bonus is wasted?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

We need more civic buildings!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

victrix posted:

Amenities is a very boring word

It sounds like a placeholder that they never found a proper name for...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Stayed up all night getting a culture victory with Japan. Prince was a bit too easy, but that's probably just because I need to increase the difficulty I do.

I didn't have crashes so much as I had freezes: first randomly when moving a worker then when I tried to exit the game.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

maybe they could have gone with "happiness"

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Megazver posted:

So, if you build factories in two cities with six tile radius of each other, do you get +3 from each for total of +6 or just a +3 and the second factory's bonus is wasted?

+6

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone got any starting tips? I'm up to two capsized runs so.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I can't build any national parks with my naturalist, even though all 4 tiles are breathtaking and have no improvements or districts. Do roads count as improvements or something? Because that'd suck.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I have seven Great Writers sitting around doing jack poo poo because I can't build display cases for their works fast enough.

Apparently the only buildings that can host Great Literature are amphitheaters and the Great Library? Am I missing something?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone got any starting tips? I'm up to two capsized runs so.

Play a game or two on Babby difficulty while you figure out the basic mechanics?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Well, no wonder it's taking me 13 turns to get a Builder going even in the Information Age

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In 5 it was almost always correct to queue a scout on turn 1. In 6, it seems it is correct 100% of the time now. I can't envision a scenario where you would possible ever want something other than an early scout.

i spawned next to 2 city states and a barbarian encampment as montezuma, so eagle warriors were an obvious early choice. those free builders (and their cities i took from them) are ridiculously powerful early game, especially w/ montezumas other trait (use builder charges to speed district construction).

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 21, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Eiba posted:

Settlers get more expensive, but worse than that districts get more and more expensive as you build more too.
as in more cities = more expensive districts, or more districts = more expensive districts?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Anyone got any good general tips for starting out?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

Play a game or two on Babby difficulty while you figure out the basic mechanics?

Not happening :colbert:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Tree Bucket posted:

I got the same feeling from Firaxium.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BBJoey posted:

as in more cities = more expensive districts, or more districts = more expensive districts?

More the latter. If you have five cities and build a science district in each: each and every one of those science districts will be a little bit more expensive than the last.

But if two of them have harbor districts and three of them have commercial districts: if you build a third harbor it should be about the same price as the third commercial district was. Or at least have the same expense modifier (I wasn't paying attention to see if districts have the same starting build cost).

Also, you can't buy districts, your city straight up has to build them. Which is absolutely hilarious when you settle on a 1-tile island and find out it's gonna take 300 turns to build a harbor. Oh well, there's no global happiness anymore and that 1-tile island gave me crabs and pearls which I didn't already have. So net gain.

As an unrelated note, I do like what the devs tried in VI but I'm not a huge fan of how passive the AI is in the late-game. They're too terrified of the Warmonger penalties so unless you specifically want to be friends with an AI you can sit back and do just about any and everything short of invading to piss them off once you get to modern era.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 21, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alkydere posted:

Also, you can't buy districts, your city straight up has to build them. Which is absolutely hilarious when you settle on a 1-tile island and find out it's gonna take 300 turns to build a harbor. Oh well, there's no global happiness anymore and that 1-tile island gave me crabs and pearls which I didn't already have. So net gain.

Certain religions can buy them with faith.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Played a quick game this morning. I need to re-figure out the way this game plays. I was playing Japan and thought I was doing well, but then good ol' Teddy declared a surprise war on my by turn 50 with like, 6 warriors and a few slingers and took my capital. Yikes.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Alkydere posted:

More the latter. If you have five cities and build a science district in each: each and every one of those science districts will be a little bit more expensive than the last.

But if two of them have harbor districts and three of them have commercial districts: if you build a third harbor it should be about the same price as the third commercial district was. Or at least have the same expense modifier (I wasn't paying attention to see if districts have the same starting build cost).

And suddenly that aztec bonus of being able to spend builders on districts seems a whole lot better.

Actually does anyone know how the scaling cost works with captured units? If both players have 3 cities and one captures a settler from the other who has the more expensive settlers, the one who now has more cities, or the one who has build more settlers?

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 21, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How come wikipedia says this is available for osx but not steam?

Edit: nm there is no osx version. Bummer.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 21, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

victrix posted:

Offer Open Borders, request Open Borders

This offer is not acceptable

Ok what would make this offer acceptable

Open Borders for Open Borders

:downs:

There seems to be some sort of referencing error in the acceptable trade negotiation, after repeatedly removing stuff and clicking that button, managed to get 3 luxury resources for 30 days for... 1 gold a day, instead of the initial 49 gold per day + other things

Game is extremely pretty. Building wonders and seeing the construction animation w/ all the other poo poo you've already built around it is very cool

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

revmoo posted:

How come wikipedia says this is available for osx but not steam?

Edit: nm there is no osx version. Bummer.

Because the Mac version is a WIP.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Archers seem to be a fairly solid response to any kind of early warfare.

Although my enemies haven't had many cavalry, presumably that murders them.

I've been playing on Prince and the AI doesn't really expand very quickly - they all seem to have huge armies though.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Has anyone found a use for slingers? I built like three planning for an invasion, realized that they have 1 range and then started kicking myself. If you're going to do ancient era wars it seems like in every possible situation it's always worth it to wait for archery or just make more melee/cavalry.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Odobenidae posted:

Has anyone found a use for slingers? I built like three planning for an invasion, realized that they have 1 range and then started kicking myself. If you're going to do ancient era wars it seems like in every possible situation it's always worth it to wait for archery or just make more melee/cavalry.

They're garbage fit only to trigger the archery eureka. I could see building one and then upgrading it to an archer (for only 30 gold) once I got archery.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

In the same boat as a lot of you with the whole 'surrounded by barbarians' thing.

My solution was to get archers which absolutely murder early barbarian units. They are also tough enough to not get demolished by them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I find slingers to be very helpful in the very early game. I had one defend my capital, and it helped a warrior turn away two warrior and one slinger barbarian units. If it weren't for my slinger, I wouldn't have had a chance.

Deki posted:

The AI seems a lot more War-happy than in 5. I've gotten declared by every met civ so far and I'm not very weak. Also 2 unmet civs have gotten shithoused already.

I've seen both, playing Prince. My first game, I had to quit because the two civs I met declared Surprise War on me within five moves of each other.

The second game, I'm focusing more on military to try to prevent this, and because barbarians are multiplying like rabbits. In this game, I've seen atleast two undiscovered civs die off.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Wow, the way they've implemented screen edge scrolling is annoying.

Maybe trigger the scroll when the cursor hits the actual top edge, not when it hits the edge of the top menu bar.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, it feels like I build so slow, even when I go for production. I wonder if it's just me or if this is how it's supposed to be.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ambivalent posted:

This guy keeps breaking his promise to not convert my cities, and I get a whole 'Broken Promise!" pop-up thing, and it lists City Conversion under Casus Belli but I'm still only allowed to declare 'Surprise War'. What's up?

I think you have to unlock a specific Civic that lets you declare wars.

Airfoil posted:

Wow, the way they've implemented screen edge scrolling is annoying.

Maybe trigger the scroll when the cursor hits the actual top edge, not when it hits the edge of the top menu bar.

Just use the click/drag method?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Had a fun time starting a game as Rome last night. My only frustration was that I had to restart not just once, but twice, in order to spawn on a continent with other civilizations (yes, it was a Continents map). It was annoying too, since both of the first two settling cities had fantastic spots for Holy Sites/Campuses, and the third start wasn't nearly so good.

First impressions so far (only 50 turns in or so):
1) The early game is really fun and hectic. Barbarians everywhere, trying to cut off their scouts from your city and having to pull back exploring units to defend against the horde gives a real feeling of danger.
2) I'm only a little ways in, and the district building/placement seems like it will be very engaging. Planning out where to place districts for the future is great, and settling location is much more involved. No longer just counting resources in three tiles, now there's the significant penalty for not having fresh-water and finding places for your districts to contend with.
3) The AI seems to be decently active so far? I'm not far enough to see how war goes, hopefully better than the rumors. But there's plenty of Civ on City-State action, and one unknown civ has already been destroyed (by barbarians or another civ, I don't know). I'm already planning a war on Kongo since they forward settled my third city location.
4) The game is gorgeous. The changing time of day mechanic is really neat, and I love the look of the sun reflecting off of rivers and seas. I might turn on quick combat later, but so far I'm enjoying the animations a lot.
5) drat, that intro + the theme music is fantastic. Baba Yetu might still be my favourite, but this is definitely a close second.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aerdan posted:

Because the Mac version is a WIP.

They were aiming for simultaneous release but didn't make it. Hopefully that means the Mac version won't take too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Rolled America for my maiden Civ VI voyage and I'm having a hard time making friends, but I'm finding that the tried and true strategy of "use my smaller amount of units smarter than the AI uses their hordes" to be keeping me afloat. At first I thought that the AI was just pointlessly milling its soldiers about my city and to an extent they definitely were, but what they did accomplish was pillaging my districts, which loving sucks. It takes forever to fix those, and in the same game I had a barbarian boat swoop in to my coastal city and pillage my Harbor the very turn I finished building the drat thing! I don't know if pillaging districts will slow the AI down, but it's vital for the human player to not let it happen to them.