Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Wow, this is something. Blaming the voters for rigging the election by not voting for Trump.

quote:

That leaves them in a bit of rhetorical purgatory, forced to respond to Trump but unwilling to pick a fight with him. Young said Thursday there could be a "psychological rigging of the election" — meaning Indiana voters don't show up to the polls on Election Day. But he declined to explicitly rebuke or defend Trump's refusal to back the election results.

"The only way this election will be rigged is if Hoosiers don’t show up and vote, if those who are upset with the current course of the country don’t show up to vote for change in the election. Then they will have rigged the election themselves," Young said. "After Election Day, we respect the results of an election — assuming the election is not very close and there’s no need for a recount — but we respect the results of an election."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/ernst-and-young-trump-230090

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dex_sda posted:

SpaceX rockets began with designs cribbed from Russian rockets.

So that's the reason they seem to be constantly exploding.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

illcendiary posted:

I'm not familiar with The National, but if their image or lyrics are somewhat progressive, you'd be surprised how much of that flies over peoples' heads.

Like how people still think songs like "Fortunate Son" or "Born in the USA" are patriotic?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Crow Jane posted:

The National just announced they're hosting a GOTV concert November 2nd in Cincinnati for Hillary. They put on a great show and if anyone's near there you should go.

Was not expecting to see so many APPALLED people unfollowing the band in the comments section. I wouldn't think fans of The National and fans of Trump would have a lot of overlap.

They've never been secretive about their allegiances - they sold an Obama shirt with "Mr November" written on it - but still some folks tend to miss it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

illcendiary posted:

I'm not familiar with The National, but if their image or lyrics are somewhat progressive, you'd be surprised how much of that flies over peoples' heads.

Noted Rage Against the Machine fan Paul Ryan is living proof.

Paul D. Ryan if your nasty.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

comingafteryouall posted:

Wow, this is something. Blaming the voters for rigging the election by not voting for Trump.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/ernst-and-young-trump-230090
Trump is changing the English language at a remarkable rate.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

The National just announced they're hosting a GOTV concert November 2nd in Cincinnati for Hillary. They put on a great show and if anyone's near there you should go.

Was not expecting to see so many APPALLED people unfollowing the band in the comments section. I wouldn't think fans of The National and fans of Trump would have a lot of overlap.

I like The National and everything but their music dovetails wonderfully with people who complain about how stupid rap music is.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Like how people still think songs like "Fortunate Son" or "Born in the USA" are patriotic?

A DJ at a wedding I was at this weekend sang the chorus of "You Are My Sunshine" to the couple and called it a romantic song.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Inferior Third Season posted:

People are different and have different reactions. But most women that get abortions don't regret them. Many are expecting to feel bad about it but never do, and think something is wrong with them, because the anti-choice movement has been successful in portraying the process as a sad and traumatic experience. This is not to say that it wouldn't be a sad and traumatic experience for some, but it is not for many others.

Everyone's emotions are valid. :)

I think we are agreeing then. :)

No-one should feel they *have* to feel a certain way. If a person feels depressed about their abortion, or completely OK with it, both are OK.

My experience with decisions is that few (non-depressed) people ever truly regret a decision, because it becomes part of your life story.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

N. Senada posted:

This and the Amy Schumer (correct comedian?) reaction reinforce something that I encountered as a kid: people have this "all media is for me" mentality and as soon as some artist/athlete/person steps outside of their political comfort zone they become halal. It happened to the Dixie Chicks and I was always shocked that people who never seemed to give a poo poo about politics all of a sudden cared that these ladies had an opinion they didn't like. It's a real white person thing, I think.

I wonder if someone's done some scholarly research about this.

I saw this with Liam Neeson making comments about advocating for gun control and you'd have people attacking "him" on Facebook ads for his movies as if he had killed their dog. People can't discern fiction from reality anymore.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Crow Jane posted:

Another theme from this election that I'm loving loving is people threatening to unsubscribe from Facebook pages or unfollow Twitter accounts when they see something they don't like. "Keep this up and you'll lose a reader!" like seriously the most impotent useless threat possible.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

dex_sda posted:

Most of NASA's tech was cribbed from Russians, or made by real Americans like Doctor Wernher Von Braun. I believe every single rocket engine in operation right now works on metallurgy the Russians made specifically for the program. SpaceX rockets began with designs cribbed from Russian rockets. The only reason USA won the (last stage) of the space race is that they threw orders of magnitude more money and manpower at the problem: https://youtu.be/P5shc52QLQ0

I definitely get that the Russians among others contributed, in the past, to what is now the American space program. One could construe it as weapons research (yum yum ICBMs make good carrots) but nevermind that. Are there any compelling spacenerd systems currently under development and/or meaningful scientific research underway? The latest I'm aware of is the failed Phobos-Grunt Russian-Chinese effort that never left LEO. There's been some interesting work done there on Hall-effect thrusters as well IIRC. I suppose us yanks aren't privy to any of the cool stuff, but I do appreciate RT's coverage of rocket launches via youtube.

Meanwhile, the VOTER FRAUD crackdown continues in the heartland:

http://wlfi.com/2016/10/21/group-named-in-indiana-probe-was-registering-black-voters/

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A Democratic-aligned group at the center of an Indiana investigation into possible voter fraud said Thursday it focused on registering black residents of Indiana because the state had the nation’s lowest overall voter turnout in 2014.

Patriot Majority USA has ties to the Democratic Party, including Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and former president Bill Clinton, and is one of a host of organizations doing political work on both the right and left that are not required to disclose their donors.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The moment that true Americans discovered that Bradley Cooper was a democrat was one of my highlights of this election season.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

A DJ at a wedding I was at this weekend sang the chorus of "You Are My Sunshine" to the couple and called it a romantic song.
The bride's stepfather at a wedding I was at over the summer edited the lyrics of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah to be all Jesusy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

My favorite thing was people using Green Day's Good Riddance as a high school graduation song. Or send off for a TV show.

:argh: Seinfeld clip show! :argh:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

N. Senada posted:

Noted Rage Against the Machine fan Paul Ryan is living proof.

Paul D. Ryan if your nasty.
My best man is a conservative and he's really into RATM. He considers them refreshingly naive.

I mean, it's not like you have many options as a right winger. Either you enjoy music with differing ideologies, or you do not listen to enjoyable music at all.

Bushiz posted:

I like The National and everything but their music dovetails wonderfully with people who complain about how stupid rap music is.
Eminem tweeted a track where he's dissing Trump yesterday or so.
I consider that not insignificant - the man has perfect credibility on a lot of topics where many other critics of Trump don't.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

illcendiary posted:

They just write really sturdy anthemic alt-rock which is perfectly crafted, but yeah if you're a dumbfuck you can easily miss all the messages and stick around for the riffs

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RATM and Ryan deserve each other because they're both idiots.

Cingulate posted:

Eminem tweeted a track where he's dissing Trump yesterday or so.
I consider that not insignificant - the man has perfect credibility on a lot of topics where many other critics of Trump don't.
On the other hand that song about killing his wife is one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard and he should feel bad about it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Apparently there's some kind of big DDoS attack against the servers that house twitter, Reddit, and a few other big sites.

How big an attack does it take to knockout Twitter and Reddit, goddamn.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

illcendiary posted:

They have a song called Mr. November and in 2008 they sold T-shirts with Obama's face on it and Mr November printed below it as a fundraiser for Obama. I think that makes their political leanings pretty obvious. People dumb.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They just write really sturdy anthemic alt-rock which is perfectly crafted, but yeah if you're a dumbfuck you can easily miss all the messages and stick around for the riffs

This description makes them sound like U2 if they were sad...I can buy that.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 21, 2016

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

VanSandman posted:

appears that the outage is limited to a few areas

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VanSandman posted:

The problem seems to be with one of Amazon's datacenters, they run a huge proportion of the internet behind the scenes now.

DDoSes these days can be in the terabit per second range, it's getting bad.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

VanSandman posted:

It's just until their fail-over servers kick in. This is assuming that everything works perfectly, which it never does, especially at scale.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

VanSandman posted:

:tinfoil:

Edit: DNS-based attacks, gigity

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-spotify-twitter-github-and-etsy-down-in-apparent-dns-attack-2016-10

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 21, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rscott posted:

It's the other way around, people have issues historically with Russia because of Stalin being the worst

Stalin was Georgian. Ayn Rand on the other hand called Russia her homeland until in the US she did stand and then adopt this country grand. Understand?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 21, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/kyletblaine/status/789454269632094208

That nasty woman. :grin:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

So that's the reason they seem to be constantly exploding.

Soyuz has a better safety record than the space shuttle.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

:getin:

Yes, this is what we need.

drat, he's only running against a Green party nominee. No Democratic nominee.

comingafteryouall fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 21, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The question is no longer, "will the GOP draw the wrong conclusion"

The question is now, "will they draw the correct one?"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think we are agreeing then. :)

No-one should feel they *have* to feel a certain way. If a person feels depressed about their abortion, or completely OK with it, both are OK.

My experience with decisions is that few (non-depressed) people ever truly regret a decision, because it becomes part of your life story.

A lot of people in the abortion movement are very touchy about language because there is a protracted war in the movement between the pearl clad ladies who lunch that have made planned parenthood boards nationwide into their little social clubs and the crusty punks with weird hair that are slowly gaining ground on them.

It's why, if you pay attention to these sorts of things, you see the idea of "choice" get phased out for "reproductive justice/access", and the slow abandonment of language like "safe, legal, and rare" and "good women have abortions" entirely, as well as people trying to remove gendered language entirely from the abortion vocabulary.

We get a little on edge anytime someone says something that could remotely be interpreted as "abortions are a big decision that is already hard enough" or similar.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Counter point: RATM owns.

I will give some credit to Trump last night, he had two good jokes. The "Pardon Me" and the Melania jokes were pretty good.

After that he just forgot the whole point of jokes is to point at something without calling it out directly. You don't say someones corrupt, but you hint in that direction. You don't talk about how Trump has burned through Campaign Managers at an alarming rate, but you poke fun at it.

He was booed and rightly so.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope we get more, "what the hell, the liberals WERE right about to loving pigs!" articles from conservative women before the election is over

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guess the state he's from!

I got it wrong on the first try. I was thinking surely it was NC.

e: The GOP congressman who tells women when they're being nasty.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

OgreNoah posted:

I'm going to enjoy a The Last Word when it's over. Green Chartreuse, Gin, Maraschino liqueur, and lime juice.

The lime juice sounds like an... interesting choice, but otherwise I'd try it. I'll have to remind myself to get one come Election Day/Night.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guessed it was my state and I was sadly correct.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The lime juice sounds like an... interesting choice, but otherwise I'd try it. I'll have to remind myself to get one come Election Day/Night.

It's a great cocktail, the lime juice works very well.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WampaLord posted:

I'd argue that there's few things more patriotic and (specifcally) American than speaking out against the government's faults.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hope someone with a camera and mic finds Reince Priebus on election night.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ciaphas posted:

Poor bastard. :(

On the bright side, he probably considers it a supreme test from God on his patience and faith, so it all works out! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I was going to guess Minnesota because that sounds like a line from a Prince song.

• Locked thread