Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tias posted:

GLOO-stuh-SHEER, I was taught in :eng101:

No the sauce is called woostuh-sheer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I hate all of you

Now tell me something fun about combat helos or Zhukov's ethics

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want a military scifi thriller from the perspective of an army that uses Deep Battle, is that so hard to ask for? :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want a military scifi thriller from the perspective of an army that uses Deep Battle, is that so hard to ask for? :smith:

I would think that Turtledove's repeated copy-pasting of WW2 history means he actually managed to do that at some point, albeit unintentionally. Maybe in his Stalingrad expy?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

England: drop the "o" + "in" = Lemster
Massachusetts: just drop the "o": Leminster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5PboFvRCk

:psypop:

what is the linguistic history that lead to stuff like this?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would think that Turtledove's repeated copy-pasting of WW2 history means he actually managed to do that at some point, albeit unintentionally. Maybe in his Stalingrad expy?

I actually experimented and modded in his Hitler's War series into Arsenal of Democracy and it was fun and the front lines came disturbingly close to where they were in the books. I should do it again for Hearts of Iron 4, I'm just not sure how to mod in the switching of France and England from fighting Germany to not, than to it again.

The problem with Turtledove is that we rarely have the right PoV characters or amount of details/exposition to see the differences in how armies fought; and sometimes I suspect a little Popular History at times.

Like it's usually "A company of infantry with a few tanks advanced up to the Germans until one or two of the tanks blew up and the infantry had to retreat" if the campaign isn't going well and "The tanks managed to blow up the AT guns and kept going, running over the trenches as the enemy beat a retreat." Ralph Peters is the closest I've seen.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Siivola posted:

I found a picture of Hey Gal.

I kinda want to live in a techinocolor world

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Jaroslav and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned George Marshall, the CEO of World War 2.

I was asleep OK?

Anyway I'd choose Marshall or William Dean.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 21, 2016

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

England: drop the "o" + "in" = Lemster
Massachusetts: just drop the "o": Leminster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5PboFvRCk

The proper thick-accented locals of the Herefordshire one say it "Lemner", just to make things even more confusing.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It never shows up in any meaningful way in the games, but the humans in Mass Effect (the "Systems Alliance") are described in fluff material as relying on something analogous to Deep Battle.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Was that in one of the ME1 codex entries that I read but then forgot in the intervening years since I last played? I remember all about their space doctrine but can't recall much of anything about Systems Alliance ground forces beyond the explanation of the whole alphanumeric individual classification thing (e.g. N7).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xiansi posted:

I'm as English as your avatar, but happened to go to school with a girl called Siobhan, so I worked that one out early enough. Even though I've never met a Sinéad in real life, there was a famous one in the '80s, so that helped.

I went to high school with a Sinead, but her parents didn't know the right pronunciation. Called herself "Sin-ee-add" or Sinny for short. Plastic paddies, heh.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StashAugustine posted:

the strategic vision of Patton, the geopolitical deft touch of MacArthur, the humility of Montgomery, the ethics of Zhukov, and the competence of Chaing Kai-Sek

Was Chiang Kai-Shek incompetent? I always rather got the impression that he did pretty well for the burning tire fire he had to work with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mass Effect has some really cool space combat fluff that gets totally ignored by the actual game

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Crazycryodude posted:

Was that in one of the ME1 codex entries that I read but then forgot in the intervening years since I last played? I remember all about their space doctrine but can't recall much of anything about Systems Alliance ground forces beyond the explanation of the whole alphanumeric individual classification thing (e.g. N7).

it was a fluff entry in ME1, yeah. I think it wasn't even about their ground tactics specifically; it was about the Alliance's overall war strategy (attack unguarded rear areas, disrupt logistical support) and how it compared to the Turians (Decisive Battle, overwhelming force) and the Salarians (espionage and sabotage)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh alright I remember that. I was scared for a second that my self-proclaimed ME Lore Nerd certificate was in jeopardy.

StashAugustine posted:

Mass Effect has some really cool space combat fluff that gets totally ignored by the actual game

You have no idea how hyped I was for ME3's big final battle. I'd spent years nerding out over ME fluff (which was only compounded by my being a real-life naval nerd so space boats were so drat cool), then got.... that. Was so pissed that they ignored all their worldbuilding (that actually made sense, even) for a Hollywood-style 2-dimensional explosionfest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Was Chiang Kai-Shek incompetent? I always rather got the impression that he did pretty well for the burning tire fire he had to work with.

As general national leader yes, he was corrupt as hell at the very least, and he did manage to lose the country. The Yellow river flood was an enormous cockup that killed hundreds of thousands for negligible military gain. There's also a lot of fingerpointing between him and Stilwell over the extent and nature of lend lease support. Stilwell has the advantage of having written in English and most western historians have taken his side.

You do have a point that his position was extraordinarily difficult and I doubt any random leader dropped in there in his place would have made a huge difference. Not like better leadership would have fixed the "Japanese have tanks and planes and we don't" problem.

Btw, we went through the "would he have been worse than Mao?" can of worms a while back in the thread so I'd rather not go that route again if it can be avoided.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

I read them with my physical eyes because I don't know if OCR can read the weird loving alphabet Germans wrote in before the 1950s. Then i put the data in spreadsheets and when I'm done I'll put all of that into a database. This needs to be done by March. I am not familiar with programming or stats software, but after I've finished Pellisworth has said he can help me out if I want.

edit: if you can help me make a bubble map and you'll be free before March 2017, please contact me

I don't have PMs, but you could email me at milhisttemp@trashmail.com and it will go to my real email.

I don't think a stock OCR program would work, but programming a custom OCR might be doable with reasonably basic computer vision/machine learning, depending how things are set up. If you feel comfortable/want to share a sample of what a page looks like/what data you pulled off of it I could at least see if this is possible. Not sure how much time this is taking you though.

I can also definitely make bubble maps, so just lmk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Argus Zant posted:

it was a fluff entry in ME1, yeah. I think it wasn't even about their ground tactics specifically; it was about the Alliance's overall war strategy (attack unguarded rear areas, disrupt logistical support) and how it compared to the Turians (Decisive Battle, overwhelming force) and the Salarians (espionage and sabotage)

And that the Alliance saw little value in static defense in the space age. Technology and mobility are so advanced that anything resembling fixed defenses is easily outmaneuvered, so the Alliance opts for a mobile defensive/counterattack doctrine.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Argus Zant posted:

Yeah, the basic idea is they use Deep Battle on offense, and the theorized Roman Defense in Depth strategy on defense. The Fleet hangs back by warp gates and the colonies only have tiny garrisons whose main job is just to report an attack, and then the fleet masses and arrives with overwhelming force to retake the territory.

And yeah, it really sucked that they wrote all this stuff out and then went "whoo hoo star wars!!!!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fusion Restaurant posted:

what a page looks like
this is from one of the mansfeld regiment's court books :geno:

as far as bubble maps are concerned, both you and someone else offered, for which i thank you both, and will contact yall closer to march

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

this is from one of the mansfeld regiment's court books :geno:

as far as bubble maps are concerned, both you and someone else offered, for which i thank you both, and will contact yall closer to march

Haha yea nope nevermind on the OCR, that's definitely really hard with that writing style. Sounds good on the bubble maps tho!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Haha yea nope nevermind on the OCR, that's definitely really hard with that writing style.
it's literally a different alphabet.

every now and then someone will write something in a romance language, and you get stuff in the alphabet we're using right now, but painstakingly written out because the guy didn't really know how to do it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

GLOO-stuh-SHEER, I was taught in :eng101:

Gloh. Short o. And sher, short e.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

every now and then someone will write something in a romance language, and you get stuff in the alphabet we're using right now, but painstakingly written out because the guy didn't really know how to do it

Yeah... if it was just a different alphabet, but was printed neatly, that would be achievable, but not having separation between characters makes it a lot harder.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Yeah... if it was just a different alphabet, but was printed neatly, that would be achievable, but not having separation between characters makes it a lot harder.

Cursive was invented for a reason though, these guys didn't have typewriters after all. :)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Haha yea nope nevermind on the OCR, that's definitely really hard with that writing style. Sounds good on the bubble maps tho!

HEY GAL posted:

You could convoluted neural network yourself out of it but that's a lot of work to get going. Depending on how many volumes of this you're going through it may or may not be worth investigating.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Boiled Water posted:

You could convoluted neural network yourself out of it but that's a lot of work to get going. Depending on how many volumes of this you're going through it may or may not be worth investigating.
what happens if you Deep Dream seventeenth century military documents

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

Pappenheim.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Koba posted:

To this day, this remarkable feat remains the standing world record in the noble sport of fascist-tossing.

This is a point of contention in the Fascist tossing league. In the last year the Kurdish team has been running an extensive lobbying effort, with significant amounts of negotiating with the African teams (ANC, ZANU, ZAPU) to have a quid pro-quo recognition of the Rhodesians and South Africans as technical Fascists. While the African teams won't gain any records from this, they stand to gain some lifetime recognition for technical and style points. The main impetus on this is that the Kurdish team wants to get ISIS recognized as a "Fascist Leaning" organisation in order to get their 2015 Record attempt qualify for the world record. Obviously the Spanish team is stonewalling hard, but the US and Russian teams are presently still on the fence because they are noticing that their old records are no longer so impressive and it's not like they aren't already seeing potential for new records with their ongoing airstrikes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I saw a movie about Fascists tossing once, but you had to be 18 to get in

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HEY GAL posted:

network becomes self aware and goes skynet but only with spanish squares and muskets raided from museums.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Trin Tragula posted:

I saw a movie about Fascists tossing once, but you had to be 18 to get in

Tossing is casual crude slang for masturbation amongst us living in these emerald isles.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

Are implementations of CNNs which have done stuff like this floating around? I'm only really familiar w them in the context of finding adresses in street view or stuff like that, where the text is still relatively distinct letter to letter, but I'm also as far from an expert as you can get. Sounds very cool!

feedmegin posted:

Cursive was invented for a reason though, these guys didn't have typewriters after all. :)

To slow down researchers centuries later, I assume. Were most military records longform books like that? Or were they more like tables?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

xthetenth posted:

Pappenheim.

Puppenheim.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Nine of Eight posted:

This is a point of contention in the Fascist tossing league. In the last year the Kurdish team has been running an extensive lobbying effort, with significant amounts of negotiating with the African teams (ANC, ZANU, ZAPU) to have a quid pro-quo recognition of the Rhodesians and South Africans as technical Fascists. While the African teams won't gain any records from this, they stand to gain some lifetime recognition for technical and style points. The main impetus on this is that the Kurdish team wants to get ISIS recognized as a "Fascist Leaning" organisation in order to get their 2015 Record attempt qualify for the world record. Obviously the Spanish team is stonewalling hard, but the US and Russian teams are presently still on the fence because they are noticing that their old records are no longer so impressive and it's not like they aren't already seeing potential for new records with their ongoing airstrikes.

i don't know if i'd really call the rhodesians fascists. racists, sure. nor would i heap much praise on zanu given that a) zimbabwe is presently a corrupt shithole and b) they immediately took the opportunity to do some ethnic style cleansing* against zapu once majority rule was instituted.

*the parties were split along ethnic lines but i can never remember which tribe went with which party.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 21, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

VanSandman posted:

Puppenheim.

:golfclap:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Elyv posted:

:psypop:

what is the linguistic history that lead to stuff like this?

Based on trends in English, something like this probably happened: The 'o' and 'i' in Leominster, as unstressed vowels, shifted to schwas and were then gradually deprecated entirely (so you have something that a typical modern English speaker might spell "Lemnster"). That leaves two nasals adjacent, which tend to merge into one, and in this case the 'm' won out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I'm trying to build up my Eastern Front library for grad school and, uh, is there a way to get Franz Halder's diary that isn't 50 bucks or more? poo poo seems more rare and expensive than I thought it would be.