Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fangz posted:

I kinda feel like if you have to pick a WW2 US general to hold up as your role model, you'd pick Eisenhower.

Only if you think about it first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Spain: in 1973 the country's Prime Minister, Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco dies in a tragic accident during the testing of a new flying car prototype, based on a Dodge Dart and modified with 80 kilograms of explosives.

Launch pad after take off

The trajectory was perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4x6wu8u2OY&t=19s
The car landed accurately in its intended coordinates. The intent of this technology was two-fold - first of all to increase parking space in Madrid; secondly as an opening to Spain's own space program. Alas the vehicle landed upside down and the test pilots died.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

True comedy is English people pronouncing Irish names. It's even better than yanks doing it, because they don't have reason to know any better.

Hey, it's not like we're taught this stuff!

I'm as English as your avatar, but happened to go to school with a girl called Siobhan, so I worked that one out early enough. Even though I've never met a Sinéad in real life, there was a famous one in the '80s, so that helped.

And by the time I met my good friend Eoghan, who introduced me to Niamh, I was starting to get a handle on the whole thing. I'm sure I have more to learn though.

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: it's always funny hearing english people butchering the pronunciation of gnocchi

This one, I have no idea.

Gonna guess a silent g, but is is "cch" like in cheese, or more like the first one in cacio, or some other crazy poo poo?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xiansi posted:

Gonna guess a silent g, but is is "cch" like in cheese, or more like the first one in cacio, or some other crazy poo poo?

ñok-ki

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

guhnockey.

I reserve the right to pronounce anything any way I like after having watched people not from the UK try to pronounced Worcestershire/Gloucestershire.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 21, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

guhnockey.

I reserve the right to pronounce anything any way I like after having watched people not from the UK try to pronounced Worcestershire/Gloucestershire.

Not helped by the US having cities named those and not keeping the British pronunciations. :getin:

As for Irish names, I have a cousin-in-law named Aoibhin with an accent on the second i.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

guhnockey.

gunhockey, you say?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xiansi posted:

I'm as English as your avatar, but happened to go to school with a girl called Siobhan, so I worked that one out early enough. Even though I've never met a Sinéad in real life, there was a famous one in the '80s, so that helped.

And by the time I met my good friend Eoghan, who introduced me to Niamh, I was starting to get a handle on the whole thing. I'm sure I have more to learn though.
That's most of the more common ones, but then you get into surnames and poo poo gets silly. Channel 4's announcers in particular have always been comically bad.

Cythereal posted:

As for Irish names, I have a cousin-in-law named Aoibhin with an accent on the second i.
That's a perfectly cromulant name. Makes plenty of sense.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my best reenacting friend is english and he fights for the spanish and imperialists now and hearing an english try to pronounce spanish is the saddest thing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

xiansi posted:

This one, I have no idea.

I knew a Padraic and I would consistently accidentally pronounce his name wrong even after learning the right way

Now explain wtf is going on with capicola

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Not helped by the US having cities named those and not keeping the British pronunciations. :getin:

Wait what there's a place in the US actually called Glah-oo-ches-ter-shy-urr?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now explain wtf is going on with capicola
dialects

he's not from new jersey, but through my father, this is how i pronounce the only italian words i know

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what there's a place in the US actually called Glaow-ches-ter-shy-urr?

In MA we have a Worcester and a Leominster and only the English can pronounce them right

In Connecticut we had a Berlin but it was pronounced BURR-lin (emphasis on the first syllable)

And a New Britain pronounced New bri'in

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
*cough*
write as you speak
*cough*
read as is written
*cough*

Nenonen posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

I've heard it pronounced - by people from there - Glow-kester-shy-urr.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I worked with a Przemek, it was fun when people tried to pronounce his name.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I worked with a Przemek, it was fun when people tried to pronounce his name.

I have a very Gaelic-looking last name, so I relate. My dad's side of the family long since started pronouncing it something mundane and easy to say in English, but it's always a task when I first meet someone and either have to explain how to spell my last name or they try to pronounce my last name after seeing it written.

Blame a bunch of Welshmen who came over to the Thirteen Colonies in 1738 and never got around to changing how their surname is spelled.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

In MA we have a Worcester and a Leominster and only the English can pronounce them right

I know roughly how Worcester is supposed to be pronounced, but what about Leominster?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elyv posted:

I know roughly how Worcester is supposed to be pronounced, but what about Leominster?

England: drop the "o" + "in" = Lemster
Massachusetts: just drop the "o": Leminster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5PboFvRCk

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know about any Gloucestershire, but I do know of Gloucester (Gloss-ter) County, New Jersey, and, as was mentioned, Worcester (Worst-er) County, Maryland

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I lied when I said English people could pronounce it right apparently; I guess New England joins Ireland in the "we've designed our language to frustrate you" club

Argus Zant posted:

I don't know about any Gloucestershire, but I do know of Gloucester (Gloss-ter) County, New Jersey, and, as was mentioned, Worcester (Worst-er) County, Maryland

Oh no, mine was in Massachusetts, and it's "Wuh-ster"

"Wuh-stuh" depending on where you go

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I lied when I said English people could pronounce it right apparently; I guess New England joins Ireland in the "we've designed our language to frustrate you" club

Oh no, mine was in Massachusetts, and it's "Wuh-ster"

"Wuh-stuh" depending on where you go

In Ohio, they dropped the bullshit and just spelled it "Wooster".

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

The direct translation would be "чаще затыкайся" (CHA-she zah-tyh-KAY-sya), but that lacks the edge of the elegant Russian tongue. Is there context?

Hey, thanks to both of you. I don't own a computer, so long story short I've been phone posting, managed to lose the drat thing, bla blah blah. Anyway, is there a more elegant way to say it in Russian or whatever moon language Hegel speaks? There's no real context, it's just something I jotted down while talking to a girl. Seems like good advice, and a good motto.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
From a few pages ago

quoted from the above

"General Marshall"" posted:

Marshall explained that the Pentagon had sent a reconnaissance team to Formosa to determine the readiness and improvability of the Chinese Nationalists, and it had yet to report back. But he wasn’t at all hopeful. He particularly worried about Communist infiltration of the Nationalists. “What we have feared all the time was a boring from within,” he said. Marshall noted that similar infiltration by German agents and sympathizers had debilitated the French army in 1940;
I did the bolding thang

I didn't know that?

edit: proofreading is hard

Nucken Futz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 21, 2016

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, thanks to both of you. I don't own a computer,

What did you do to this poor fellow?

And more important, how did you do it?

asking for a friend

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cythereal posted:

I've heard it pronounced - by people from there - Glow-kester-shy-urr.

Glue-sister?

In Maine, there is a Calis, which naturally the locals pronounce as "Callus"

In Newfoundland, there is a Bay D'espoir, which over the centuries has been rendered into Bay D'espair :negative:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Worce-ster, Glouce-ster, etc.

Now the jackwagons that pronounce it wista are only doing so as a reverse mating call. "HELLO THERE I HAVE EXTRA CHROMOSOMES, WISTA."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

HEY GAL posted:

dialects

he's not from new jersey, but through my father, this is how i pronounce the only italian words i know
The article is kind of funny, because in some areas of the US they use English phrases and words which are much more ancient than what British English would use as well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I found a picture of Hey Gal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Expand beyond just the dirt-sloggers and I'd pick Nimitz every time.

Admiral Charles Lockwood

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

Expand beyond just the dirt-sloggers and I'd pick Nimitz every time.

Personally I'm kind of surprised he didn't go with Curtis LeMay.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm surprised no one mentioned George Marshall, the CEO of World War 2.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned George Marshall, the CEO of World War 2.
we said zombie wallenstein :colbert:

Tekopo posted:

The article is kind of funny, because in some areas of the US they use English phrases and words which are much more ancient than what British English would use as well.
new mexico and their spanish as well.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nenonen posted:

To this day, this remarkable feat remains the standing world record in the noble sport of fascist-tossing.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

we said zombie wallenstein :colbert:

new mexico and their spanish as well.

and Finnish in michigan

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

and Finnish in michigan

My mom's family in Pennsylvania has a pretty awesome dialect and accent, it's like a colony of Poles ended up on the far edges of Appalachia.

Which I guess is literally what happened.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Were the guys in the hussars the same weirdos that dressed up kooky steppe outfits and fancied themselves "Samartians" or was that just the high nobility?

I'm not sure what you're getting at with kooky steppe outfits? But Sarmatism was a cultural current that permeated most of the Polish noble society in the 17th century, and the Hussars were naturally some of the wealthiest combatants around (look, when your equipment has to involve a leopard skin, it gets pricy). Slightly poorer nobles became (towarzysze) pancerni, who were a bit less heavily (and expensively) equipped, and, depending on the situation, either fulfilled similar battlefield purposes to the Hussars or acted as support for them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
GLOO-stuh-SHEER, I was taught in :eng101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hogmartin posted:

My mom's family in Pennsylvania has a pretty awesome dialect and accent, it's like a colony of Poles ended up on the far edges of Appalachia.

Which I guess is literally what happened.

This is my mom's side of the family and why that side of the family is ridiculously Scandinavian in terms of food and what we do for Christmas every year despite mostly being Irish and Scottish who settled in Illinois. They landed right in the middle of a huge area of Swedish immigrants and were assimilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Agean90 posted:

lol @ you guys assuming trump know anything about them other than WW2 general and looks manly

the strategic vision of Patton, the geopolitical deft touch of MacArthur, the humility of Montgomery, the ethics of Zhukov, and the competence of Chaing Kai-Sek