Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Bird Law posted:

:ohdear: Wondering how is it possible to play Splatoon in portable mode? The gyro controls are what made Splatoon so great for me, I could actually play a console shooter because I really, really suck at aiming with the joysticks.

When you Switch to Portable Mode though, wouldn't you be swinging the screen around while you aim?

I think they'll probably just have you Gyro aim in Home or Standing mode and make use of the more standard control in tablet mode with maybe gyro aim tweaking so you're not moving it too far our of the way, kinda like how Zelda 3DS handles Gyro aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
There was a video posted about a week ago that showed this exact tech. It was some guy for some company at a tech expo but I can't remember where in the thread it was before it exploded with posts.

Can someone post it again? I'm sure it was pretty much identical (sans dock) but I think it had a touch screen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Not only is that not confirmed. Bethesda has even come out and said Skyrim may not even be coming to the NX and that Skyrim is just being used as a demo and an example of how Bethesda will be supporting the system in the future.

Bethesda weighs in:

quote:

Update 2: While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said.

lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kin posted:

There was a video posted about a week ago that showed this exact tech. It was some guy for some company at a tech expo but I can't remember where in the thread it was before it exploded with posts.

Can someone post it again? I'm sure it was pretty much identical (sans dock) but I think it had a touch screen.

This thing?

http://kotaku.com/china-already-has-a-handheld-like-the-nintendo-switch-1788056087

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

They didn't say that Skyrim "may not even be coming to the NX and that Skyrim is just being used as a demo." The writer of the article is just extrapolating that from them declining to comment. It's likely that they're waiting to make a bigger announcement at some point that goes along with Nintendo's PR schedule. I doubt Nintendo would've included it so heavily if anything else were going on.

Also, the speculation on the touch screen doesn't make much sense. Touch screens are incredibly cheap, of course it'll have touch functionality.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 21, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's one of those things where like, I don't care about Skyrim. I have the PC version, which is like the definitive experience for any one of those Bethesda open world RPGs. However, it's still new to anybody who's been gaming exclusively in a Nintendo ecosystem for the last decade. The 360 version of Skyrim was super important to me back when it came out; as a broke-rear end college student with a computer that was already mediocre when I bought it 4 years prior, I couldn't play current-gen titles except on my 360. Skyrim was my life for basically a couple months that year.

The game is so old that most of us are super jaded to it now, but for all its jank and limitations, that world was super impressive and fascinating back when everything was new. I hope that Nintendo-only people will get to experience that.

edit:
Also if the Switch is at least as powerful as a PS3/360 or better, maybe we'll get a portable version of GTA V :birddrugs:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 21, 2016

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Mario hasnt been officially confirmed so i guess its not coming out either. Thats too bad. Maybe... it will never have games....

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nintendo's own website is saying there will be more info in the coming months about the console/games so I guess random twitter guy was wrong? v:shobon:v

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gaspy Conana posted:

Also, the speculation on the touch screen doesn't make much sense. Touch screens are incredibly cheap, of course it'll have touch functionality.

That's true but they'll have to limit its use in games. They really don't seem to want rumors about portable-only games, which focus on a touch screen would imply

Whatever's coming it's sure gotten people speculating like crazy

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nintendo's own website is saying there will be more info in the coming months about the console/games so I guess random twitter guy was wrong? v:shobon:v
"In the coming months" could easily mean January or whatever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

irlZaphod posted:

"In the coming months" could easily mean January or whatever.

January feels way to close to the wire to announce your launch lineup. On the other hand, 5 months before launch also seems really close to the wire for revealing/fully acknowledging the existence of your new console, so

I guess congrats to Nintendo for throwing me off my balance?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

What're those ports on the dock? They look proprietary

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They look like USB to me.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Seriously, do you dumb fuckers really think they're going to kill off Miiverse or change fundamental parts of Splatoon

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jables88 posted:

This is easily the worst post I've ever seen.

What? I'm sorry man, I can't hear you!

I'm still stuck at the make-pretend MLG wishful thinking event about Splatoon that Nintendo herself has used to rile you guys up into thinking that Splatoon is a game with some meaningful circulation, other than as a fill-in up-port to sell the Switch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What're those ports on the dock? They look proprietary

They're USB. Higher res photos will show you a little 'USB' above the ports.

limaCAT posted:

Nintendo herself has used to rile you guys up into thinking that Splatoon is a game with some meaningful circulation, other than as a fill-in up-port to sell the Switch.

Splatoon is cool and good :colbert:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

limaCAT posted:

I'm still stuck at the make-pretend MLG wishful thinking event about Splatoon that Nintendo herself has used to rile you guys up into thinking that Splatoon is a game with some meaningful circulation, other than as a fill-in up-port to sell the Switch.

Nintendo herself

:reddit:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Which Joy Con has the girl gamer button?! This is bullshit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Splatoon was really dang popular considering its platform, and it's already had tournaments in japan.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that would be totally viable on this thing is VR. I recently bought a Galaxy S7 and for some reason it came with a Gear VR headset. While it's obviously shite compared to even PSVR it still works great. Release a headset that you snap the Switch tablet into and hey presto. I'm sure Nintendo could do some cool stuff with it even with the limitations. A port of Metroid Prime for instance.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Hey so I didn't really care about this until someone mentioned in another thread that this was supposed to also be the next handheld from Nintendo instead of the next home console (that just happens to be portable)?

Is it confirmed that the 3ds line is getting dropped for this or something or are people just overreacting? It never occurred to me that this was intended to be Nintendo's next handheld because, you know, that'd mean they were going to release a handheld that doesn't fit in anyone's pocket which seems stupid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope Nintendo literally never does stupid as gently caress VR

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Which Joycon is the best Joycon?

Is it Joycon L, with the joystick on the left?
Or is is Joycon R, with the joystick in the middle?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Which Joy Con has the girl gamer button?! This is bullshit.

They both have one. If you are pregnant you use the + and if not you use the -

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kashuno posted:

:same:
Let the lessons of the Virtual Boy never be forgotten

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lodin posted:

One thing that would be totally viable on this thing is VR. I recently bought a Galaxy S7 and for some reason it came with a Gear VR headset. While it's obviously shite compared to even PSVR it still works great. Release a headset that you snap the Switch tablet into and hey presto. I'm sure Nintendo could do some cool stuff with it even with the limitations. A port of Metroid Prime for instance.

Kashuno posted:

Gear VR is kind of fantastic, because it's just like a $30 headset for the phone that you already were gonna have anyway. It's the cheapest, most convenient way to take a dump at 3 in the morning while experiencing a beautiful tropical beach through your eyes and headphones.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Hey so I didn't really care about this until someone mentioned in another thread that this was supposed to also be the next handheld from Nintendo instead of the next home console (that just happens to be portable)?

Is it confirmed that the 3ds line is getting dropped for this or something or are people just overreacting? It never occurred to me that this was intended to be Nintendo's next handheld because, you know, that'd mean they were going to release a handheld that doesn't fit in anyone's pocket which seems stupid.

i don't understand this complaint. handhelds haven't fit comfortably in pockets for years. it's time to throw out your cargo shorts.

obviously, yes, this is meant to replace a dedicated handheld in the long run. what would be the point of it otherwise? they'd be undermining the design of the console for literally no benefits.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
What that, a d-pad FOR ANTS?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the big question is would it be weird to use this thing on the shitter

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wicka posted:

i don't understand this complaint. handhelds haven't fit comfortably in pockets for years. it's time to throw out your cargo shorts.

obviously, yes, this is meant to replace a dedicated handheld in the long run. what would be the point of it otherwise? they'd be undermining the design of the console for literally no benefits.

This is 100% identical to the time Nintendo said that the DS wasn't meant to be a replacement for the GBA. Nintendo is still having flashbacks about the time American parents had like a national flip-out on the morning news over how the SNES wasn't going to be backwards compatible with the NES.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kashuno posted:

Nintendo doesn't seem interested in VR anyway. I'd totally play VR Mario Kart though

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

This is 100% identical to the time Nintendo said that the DS wasn't meant to be a replacement for the GBA. Nintendo is still having flashbacks about the time American parents had like a national flip-out on the morning news over how the SNES wasn't going to be backwards compatible with the NES.

they are of course not going to say "the 3DS is dead" because it's still selling and people are still making games for it, i don't know why anyone expects that from them

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Motto posted:

Splatoon was really dang popular considering its platform, and it's already had tournaments in japan.

Nintendo has a second tournament going on currently, with the final happening in February. Maybe we'll hear something new about New Splatoon during regional tournaments.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Macaluso posted:

Nintendo doesn't seem interested in VR anyway. I'd totally play VR Mario Kart though

In a way Mario Kart 7 was just that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the big question is would it be weird to use this thing on the shitter

Thats literally it's purpose

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Motto posted:

Yea Splatoon exceeded expectations to the point that it went from being a niche whatever title to a guaranteed killer app for their next console.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thinking back over Nintendo history. It seems like the GameCube onward people have claimed that their consoles have been jumped up versions of the previous. At the time people were saying that the Wii was basically just a GC with some stat boosts.

In hindsight, It was around the end of the GameCube era where graphical fidelity began to be really steeped in diminishing returns. Current Xbox One games don't look that much better than a later 360 title.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

grafix for this look good, idk why people are worried about the horsepower. if you really give a poo poo about ULTRA HIGH graphics then you wouldn't be playing on a console, would you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

well why not posted:

Thinking back over Nintendo history. It seems like the GameCube onward people have claimed that their consoles have been jumped up versions of the previous. At the time people were saying that the Wii was basically just a GC with some stat boosts.

In hindsight, It was around the end of the GameCube era where graphical fidelity began to be really steeped in diminishing returns. Current Xbox One games don't look that much better than a later 360 title.

i honestly don't think we'd be having this conversation if the wii had HD support. sure, graphics have always been part of the equation, and the wii was criticized from the beginning for being underpowered. but that wasn't a hugely notable complaint until the end of the generation, when everyone started buying HD TVs, and the wii's graphics started to look so bad that it was almost unusable.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

MinibarMatchman posted:

grafix for this look good, idk why people are worried about the horsepower. if you really give a poo poo about ULTRA HIGH graphics then you wouldn't be playing on a console, would you

Here come people who don't know how to work Windows to tell you what an elitist piece of poo poo you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I must have 4K 120fps on my ultra portable device at all times

• Locked thread