Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did you see what happens when it's put under stress? Any seam that was tightly closed is "broken". The phone is not made for water.

Yes, and I never said it was. My point is that it can survive some water in certain situations. It still look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hey, just an update on the status of my Pixel, purchased the date after launch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lil bit of help - grabbed a larger SD card for my Z5. Tried robocopying the contents from my old to the new via my computer (I'm not using integrated storage) (used /e /copyall), and the phone works fine when I boot with the old in, but booting with the new in, 'My Account' promptly crashes and no SIM is recognised.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Lil bit of help - grabbed a larger SD card for my Z5. Tried robocopying the contents from my old to the new via my computer (I'm not using integrated storage) (used /e /copyall), and the phone works fine when I boot with the old in, but booting with the new in, 'My Account' promptly crashes and no SIM is recognised.

Have you tried getting a phone with out an SD card and using that instead? It seems to work fine for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You buying for me?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh hey my Pixel XL shipped. It's arriving Monday.

If mine had shipped on Wednesday I'd probably be using it right now. Now I have to wait an entire weekend too?? :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

myron cope posted:

If mine had shipped on Wednesday I'd probably be using it right now. Now I have to wait an entire weekend too?? :(

I'm going to Verizon on Tuesday! I have to wait even longer!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

You buying for me?

Sure. Send me your bank acct number and I'll wire you the money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't think we need the constant stream of shipping updates.

One a page is plenty.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I've been cleaning out some old fall clothes I have and I came across this gem. Totally forgot about it; I ordered the OG Droid on day 1, and this was in the box when it was shipped to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OG Droid still had the best charging dock.

It also came WITH the phone, no add on purchase!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

100% Dundee posted:

Any idea what kind of time frame we are looking at before some of the higher quality USB-C stuff becomes reasonably cheap? Pixel XL will be my first USB-C device and I'm not trying to spend another $150-200 just yet to buy another charger, car charger and a few spare cables. Maybe I'll just wait and see if anything pops up for cyber monday/black friday.

I snagged a couple of these to use with my old cords.

[2 in 1 Pack] Anker USB-C to Micro USB Adapter, Converts USB Type-C input to Micro USB, Uses 56K Resistor, Works with MacBook, ChromeBook Pixel, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, OnePlus 2 and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHKYIRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZqIcybR6BNC7Q

I figure with fast charging and a still new battery, I wouldn't need charging on the go like I did with my old phone. These come in handy the few times I do. My old car charger keeps the phone from draining when using GPS and my battery pack slowly adds juice if I need it. Hopefully prices on fancy fast charging USB C stuff will drop by the time the battery is old and tired.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Before anyone asks, yes, Anker is a reputable manufacturer.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Trip report. The Pixel owns.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I know they discontinued the paid "premium" tier which allowed higher message storage back in July. It seems like removing that feature (which required the app to support upgrading to premium) might have been the first step to standardizing the visual voice mail.

Wait, so is Verizon's Visual Voicemail free now? I've been using Google Voice for voicemail all this time because I didn't feel like paying for what I thought was such a basic and necessary feature.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

Wait, so is Verizon's Visual Voicemail free now? I've been using Google Voice for voicemail all this time because I didn't feel like paying for what I thought was such a basic and necessary feature.

Basic visual voicemail has been free for a few years.

FAUXTON posted:

Before anyone asks, yes, Anker is a reputable manufacturer.

They are, and I like their stuff, but even they have been caught with their pants down with USB C and had to recall cables. Even now, their USB C cables are really only passable and their C battery packs have a few issues (they default to drain rather than charge so if you aren't careful, your phone will charge the battery pack and not vice versa). They haven't been seeking USB-IF certification on any of their stuff and there is stuff at comparable price that has.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think we need the constant stream of shipping updates.

One a page is plenty.

No, I need them, I'm so close...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well to no one's surprise, the S7 Edge is a fragile piece of garbage. One foot drop from my car, even a "military drop-tested" case didn't do anything. At least I have freed myself from the Stockholm syndrome that is owning Samsungs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Something interesting iFixit's pixel teardown.

iFixit posted:

With nearly everything out of the case, we've seen almost zero evidence of this phone's HTC manufacturing origin.

Despite being a major smartphone brand in its own right, this time HTC appears to have left its mark on nothing save the battery. As Google's silent partner, it has been relegated to the same status as Foxconn.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting, but not surprising. Despite calls that this was just an A9 dressed up, it was very apparent once the phone was fully revealed that HTC didn't have anything to do with the design and only handed the manufacturing.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Well the Pixel looks like an HTC phone externally at least. Given that most people don't care or see the internals you'd expect Google to be more concerned with HTC's influence on the external design compared to the internal.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Shoren posted:

Well the Pixel looks like an HTC phone externally at least. Given that most people don't care or see the internals you'd expect Google to be more concerned with HTC's influence on the external design compared to the internal.

The point they are making is that HTC had no influence on the design of this phone, internal or external. Google just hired them to actually put the phone together. Just like how Apple hires companies like Foxconn to put together their phones and computers. This is a true Google phone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thanks for linking to the german version, you Jerk.

bull3964 posted:

Interesting, but not surprising. Despite calls that this was just an A9 dressed up, it was very apparent once the phone was fully revealed that HTC didn't have anything to do with the design and only handed the manufacturing.
Surprise level: 0

Its exactly what Google said it was.

On truck for delivery. C'mon Fedex. Show up before 7:59, please.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shoren posted:

Well the Pixel looks like an HTC phone externally at least.

It doesn't though. It's confirmation bias.

Not a single external design element of the phone is utilized by HTC other than "rectangularish shape that has a screen and is made out of metal." It only looks like an HTC phone because pretty much all unibody metal phones look similar.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bronin posted:

Trip report. The Pixel owns.

How's the battery life?

technocr4t
Jun 3, 2014
My brief experience so far with the Pixel is extremely positive. Don't believe the hate circlejerk.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endless Mike posted:

No, I need them, I'm so close...

Time for some edge play.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

technocr4t posted:

My brief experience so far with the Pixel is extremely positive. Don't believe the hate circlejerk.
Who's hating on it? As best as I can tell, a few folks are saying it's too expensive for their needs and that's about it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

technocr4t posted:

The Pixel team murdered my entire family and left me a penniless beggar.

Believe what you want to believe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Coworker got his today and I got to play with it a little, holy balls it's fast. The touch latency is crazy good. 5 minutes of using it makes my MXP feel like a POS.

He got the normal Pixel and even though I have giant hands, I love the size of it and I'm glad I didn't go XL. It feels perfect in hand and the weight is just right for the size.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Just picked up my Pixel XL

Will use non-stop all day and report back

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

The Duggler posted:

Just picked up my Pixel XL

Will use non-stop all day and report back

Thanks, man. Gonna save my $649 for now :tipshat:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 21, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

He got the normal Pixel and even though I have giant hands, I love the size of it and I'm glad I didn't go XL. It feels perfect in hand and the weight is just right for the size.

The MXP is a 5.2 inch or a 5.5? I'm considering going for the regular Pixel but I'm not sure I want to give up the .2 of my 5x.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Luchadork posted:

The MXP is a 5.2 inch or a 5.5? I'm considering going for the regular Pixel but I'm not sure I want to give up the .2 of my 5x.

MXP is 5.7

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Stan Taylor posted:

How's the battery life?

It came with around 70% battery and I pretty much used it non stop since then. I'm at 37% with 2:47h SOT right now for whatever that's worth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone want a 6.6" phone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuy1loZIR80

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Folks, this is a phablet. Not the Samsung Note series, not the 6P, not the iPhone whatever plus.

This is a goddamn phablet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Howdi. I've got a question about my Galaxy S7. I'm thinking of installing the Edge Lite ROM on the handset.

1. Does installing a custom ROM void the warranty?
2. Does installing a custom ROM require root - if so, does that void the warranty?
3. Would I get security updates on that ROM? From Samsung or from whoever creates the ROM?
4. If I install the custom ROM and then want to return to the original S7 firmware, is that doable?
5. I don't really understand what root means. Can it affect things even after I reinstall the original firmware?

The most I've done with this phone is flash the generic UK firmware onto the device over the original Vodafone firmware, so I now get updates direct from Samsung, not from Vodafone. Sorry if these questions are dumb.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 21, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't though. It's confirmation bias.

Not a single external design element of the phone is utilized by HTC other than "rectangularish shape that has a screen and is made out of metal." It only looks like an HTC phone because pretty much all unibody metal phones look similar.

I'm not denying that most phone designs are all converging to the same point, but it's hard to say that the Pixel doesn't look very similar to the HTC Desire. The Pixel design piggybacks on HTC design standards even if certain details weren't copied 1:1. I think Google could have done a lot better to make a unique phone design given the resources at their disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shoren posted:

I'm not denying that most phone designs are all converging to the same point, but it's hard to say that the Pixel doesn't look very similar to the HTC Desire. The Pixel design piggybacks on HTC design standards even if certain details weren't copied 1:1. I think Google could have done a lot better to make a unique phone design given the resources at their disposal.

Agreed, and I think this physical design will continue to be polarizing, but I really like it.