Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morby posted:

I was reading some reports this morning that PSN was down, but I'm downloading a patch right now for Rise of the Tomb Raider and that seems to be working ok? Must not have been a long outage.

There was some kind of major regional outage that hit a lot of big-ticket services on the East Coast this morning, it seems to have cleared up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patches usually still work when PSN is down anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Inspector Hound posted:

The combat in the first three was the most frustrating part for me, how many loving times do the developers think wolves can be shot

Oh yeah, loving word. Like, if these animals could take all this gunfire for real they wouldn't be so endangered.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Patches usually still work when PSN is down anyway.

haveblue posted:

There was some kind of major regional outage that hit a lot of big-ticket services on the East Coast this morning, it seems to have cleared up now.

PSN Store seems alright right now. Downloading World or Final Fantasy demo right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Hound posted:

The combat in the first three was the most frustrating part for me, how many loving times do the developers think wolves can be shot

At least Tomb Raider Anniversary and Legends have aged okay. And Underworld when it doesn't want to bug out and crash, I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

I mean, how many times do you think people can be shot?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Snak posted:

I mean, how many times do you think people can be shot?

If Uncharted is an accurate guide, we have skin made out of Kevlar. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Infinite times, if you take a break between every 5 or so.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Did anyone here pick up Exist Archive? Valkyrie Profile was one of my favorite RPGs of all time, so I am very curious about some hands on impressions.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Finally played through Uncharted 4. Not a huge fan of the series, but it came free with my slim so why not? It gets a "nice try" award for the story. While you can see where it is going and I'm afraid I still have zero emotional attachment to the characters, where it goes with the narrative is pretty well done and creative. Puzzles are much better, too, requiring more involvement than the previous ones. The open-worldish levels are also a nice change. Combat still was still between barely playable and okay to me: I'm afraid the open level design and increase in tactical options just ends up highlighting how generic the inherent stealth and shooting mechanics are. Unlike in TLOU, it's easier to unfuck yourself when you get caught though, so much better due to that alone. Game could have been a couple hours shorter, but I'm fine with playing it.

Of course, a lot of the typical Uncharted issues remain (trial-and-error cinematic sequences, bleh), but the weird narrative dichotomy seems to have gotten worse. Two of the earliest missions have you killing hundreds of soldiers on private property who have every legal right to be there and that you don't. You literally murder a bunch of people who have done nothing wrong. Meanwhile, the cutscenes have Drake refusing to kill someone even to save his own life, for the third game in a row? I've defended accusations of "narrative dissonance" before since almost every AAA game fails at this anyways, but I don't understand why the Uncharted people seem to go out of their way to create this weird issue that has no benefit to the story they are telling.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Try saying the words 'The Last Guardian has gone gold' out loud and see how weird it sounds.
https://twitter.com/liljuny/status/789479784120287232

Edit: Or don't since the tweet got deleted.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kuddles posted:

Finally played through Uncharted 4. Not a huge fan of the series, but it came free with my slim so why not? It gets a "nice try" award for the story. While you can see where it is going and I'm afraid I still have zero emotional attachment to the characters, where it goes with the narrative is pretty well done and creative. Puzzles are much better, too, requiring more involvement than the previous ones. The open-worldish levels are also a nice change. Combat still was still between barely playable and okay to me: I'm afraid the open level design and increase in tactical options just ends up highlighting how generic the inherent stealth and shooting mechanics are. Unlike in TLOU, it's easier to unfuck yourself when you get caught though, so much better due to that alone. Game could have been a couple hours shorter, but I'm fine with playing it.

Of course, a lot of the typical Uncharted issues remain (trial-and-error cinematic sequences, bleh), but the weird narrative dichotomy seems to have gotten worse. Two of the earliest missions have you killing hundreds of soldiers on private property who have every legal right to be there and that you don't. You literally murder a bunch of people who have done nothing wrong. Meanwhile, the cutscenes have Drake refusing to kill someone even to save his own life, for the third game in a row? I've defended accusations of "narrative dissonance" before since almost every AAA game fails at this anyways, but I don't understand why the Uncharted people seem to go out of their way to create this weird issue that has no benefit to the story they are telling.

The auction? Those soldiers start murdering guests and shooting at you.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shooting guys is fun. pew pew i'm playing a video game

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

shooting guys is fun. pew pew i'm playing a video game

Same, but Rocket League.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aphrodite posted:

The auction? Those soldiers start murdering guests and shooting at you.

Because you broke in and stole stuff and maybe assaulted or killed someone first (can't remember exactly how that level goes). Drake is totally in the wrong there even if responding with deadly force is also wrong.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm thinking of picking up bf1 today to shoot guys. It's during war time so it's ok no guilt

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I've just come to accept that the Uncharted games have me shoot people who maybe don't deserve it because the game is built around shooting people. The alternative would be cinematic choreographed action sequences, but that would just turn the games into a Telltale-styled QTE fest. Which, to be fair, I wouldn't mind, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's not really about shooting tons of people in the game it's about how you can do that and then turn around 2 seconds later and agonize over killing 1 dude.

Like just dont write that. Just leave the drama out. It's easy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The part where Nate's upset about the murder is a flashback though and most of it is because he knew the guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

It's not really about shooting tons of people in the game it's about how you can do that and then turn around 2 seconds later and agonize over killing 1 dude.

Like just dont write that. Just leave the drama out. It's easy.

The whole standoff scene was a riot because it's one of the few times in Uncharted where the ludonarrative dissonance isn't just split between gameplay and cutscene. Rafe pulls the "ha ha, you won't shoot the hostage, you're too soft" villain schtick not thirty seconds after Nadine is done ranting over how many of her men the brothers Drake have killed.

"You don't have what it takes," Rafe said, and then stepped backwards and tripped over a freshly bullet-riddled corpse.

I mean it works in the moment but just becomes comedic in retrospect.

e: though nothing tops the later scene where Elena and Sully are stymied by a fifteen-foot high wall, upon which Drake is standing, with his impossibly strong length of grappling rope a-danglin' from the side of his belt.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
This is why Trevor was great in GTAV, a personification of what your insane player character would actually be like!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't like violent video games and only play them if I can kill skeletons because they are spooky.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MZ posted:

This is why Trevor was great in GTAV, a personification of what your insane player character would actually be like!

Saints Row 2 boss was like that too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's okay to shoot bad guys in Uncharted because they're all Nazis.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Captain Yossarian posted:

I don't like violent video games and only play them if I can kill skeletons because they are spooky.

those skeletons used to be people you monster

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I think I read the Baba Yaga DLC in Rise of the Tomb Raider will spoil the main game if you play it before the end -- anyone know is this is true?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

I think I read the Baba Yaga DLC in Rise of the Tomb Raider will spoil the main game if you play it before the end -- anyone know is this is true?

Even if it does I wouldn't stress about it. There's no real unsurprising twists in Rise of the Tomb Raider, the story is really straightforward.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
PSN currently not working for anyone else or is it just me? Obviously my own internet is fine right now because I'm posting this question.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CharlestonJew posted:

those skeletons used to be people you monster
there's one inside you right now, stay safe :ohdear:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

PSN currently not working for anyone else or is it just me? Obviously my own internet is fine right now because I'm posting this question.
There's a big internet situation affecting all sorts of major sites

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There's a big internet situation affecting all sorts of major sites

BUT I NEED MY BATTLEFIELD ONE!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

Down for me. Apparently so is Twitter, as I found out trying to see the PSN status update.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I hate third person story driven schlock like GTA and uncharted and tomb raider so much. Why aren't there more gameplay driven endevors like rocket league. We need more fun stuff in gaming, imo.

No disrespect to people who think those games are fun...I just don't. I wanna go fast and hard.

E: when I say "like rocket league" I mean games that are built entirely around extremely fun mechanics

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Trash Trick posted:

I hate third person story driven schlock like GTA and uncharted and tomb raider so much. Why aren't there more gameplay driven endevors like rocket league. We need more fun stuff in gaming, imo.

No disrespect to people who think those games are fun...I just don't. I wanna go fast and hard.

Thumper?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trash Trick posted:

I agree, more games should be games and not try to be game-movies.

Bloodborne has a great story while also being entirely gameplay driven. And we pretty much all love bloodborne. More like that please.

This also feeds into something someone was saying in another thread, old RPGs the story was more limited so you filled in the gaps with your brain, but modern RPGs everything is cutscenes with voice acting, so it has to stand up on its own, there's no room for your imagination to fill the gaps. So when there's problems, its more noticable. So games with technically better writing are remembered as being worse than old games with technically worse writing becuase the old games had more opportunity to use your own imagination.

Something like bloodborne is a pretty good way to do both. You have a modern game with a couple exciting cutscenes but most of the story is in the background and is mysterious so you still fill in the gaps with your own imagination as you piece together the clues.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Someone DDoSing DNS providers.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Rastor posted:

Thumper?

Ooh yeah I gotta get that one, thanks for the reminder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trash Trick posted:

E: when I say "like rocket league" I mean games that are built entirely around extremely fun mechanics

There is infinity of those.

Load up Steam's cheap games page and throw a dart at your computer monitor.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 21, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

There is infinity of those.

Load up Steam's cheap games page and thr a dart at your computer monitor.

We need MORE!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trash Trick posted:

I get bored very quickly with pure gameplay games and need a narrative hook to care about them.

• Locked thread