Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yo Twitch Numbers Comedy Jokeman could you perhaps return to whatever Xbox Star Citizen hate thread you normally inhabit? Thanks

You can't just kick out the 90% of this thread that came in here just to shitpost, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the Switch is gonna be really good

i think this will be the end of Nintendo . :rip:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Can you use the Switch as an extra controller for Super Smash Bros for Switch?

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 21, 2016

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geokinesis posted:

switch or bitch

bitch!!!!! bitch for life :rock:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

F. Lobot posted:

Ffuffufgu

Why did you delete your nonsense?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yo the switch is gonna be good though. It's coming to all of my rooftop bbqs.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

ddogflex posted:

Why did you delete your nonsense?

Fact checking takes the thrill out of posting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Laura Kate Dale had a good article on LPVG explaining how she got her information and what information that wasn't in the promo video that she believes to be true based on which sources.

Also, she basically confirms Emily Rogers sources on hardware are rock solid, and different sources than hers.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is it confirmed its not a touch screen or

you can touch screen

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
This is probably old news, but I noticed the players in the video for Mario Kart were drifting, and those joy-cons have to have shoulder buttons right where they connect to the battery pack or tablet. Then again, it's just a promotional video, but this would be amazingly innovative if true.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BexGu posted:

I really want people to get their hands on the Switch to see how sturdy the core unit is. If the power is going to be in the mobile tablet for a unit meant for kids I wonder how the Switch will handle being dropped, spilled on, stepped on, etc. Can the screen be easily replaced? Is there going to be a Nintendo branch screen proctor/case like for phones?

It's a Nintendo console so it'll probably be built like a god drat brick.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

This is probably old news, but I noticed the players in the video for Mario Kart were drifting, and those joy-cons have to have shoulder buttons right where they connect to the battery pack or tablet. Then again, it's just a promotional video, but this would be amazingly innovative if true.

The joycons each have one trigger and one shoulder buttons that, when mounted to the tablet, are on the top. You can see them most clearly in the image here pointing out the game card and the one showing off the kickstand.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 21, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The 3ds is sturdy as gently caress and they sell screen protectors already for both the 3ds and Wii U.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
They Joy-Cons were the black sheep of the Decepticon army...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm sad the screen isn't 3D I really liked the 3D on the 3DS, oh well

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

If they went as far as sticking shoulder buttons mapped to L and ZL/R and ZR on the attachment rails of each joycon, that's incredibly elegant and much better than trying to use whatever two are digging into your palm.

This got me thinking and I realized that each one has as many buttons as an SNES controller - there's two shoulder buttons on each one (L/R and ZL/ZR) as well as a +/- button and a home button/whatever's on the other one that can be used as start/select. So that means you can do portable 2-player SNES VC games with no additional accessories.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lemming posted:

You are in the vast minority.

Dear Nintendo,

Please have Mario Kart out by September so I can set it up on the 40 foot projection screen at my rehearsal dinner.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

wicka posted:

i don't understand this complaint. handhelds haven't fit comfortably in pockets for years. it's time to throw out your cargo shorts.

obviously, yes, this is meant to replace a dedicated handheld in the long run. what would be the point of it otherwise? they'd be undermining the design of the console for literally no benefits.

I'm 6'8'' so the pockets in my pants are pretty big and can hold my new 3ds just fine if I need to take it somewhere, but I didn't realize size was an issue. I haven't heard any of my friends complain about it at any rate, it's only as long as most phones are now even if it's twice as thick.

Like I said though I'm a bit tall so any pockets on my pants are big.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm hoping we have the option of just purchasing the handheld unit separately from the base for a lower price but include the Joy-cons and a charger.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 21, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

spasticColon posted:

I'm hoping we have the option of just purchasing the handheld unit separately from the base for a lower price but include the Joy-cons and a charger of course.

I'd like the option to purchase the base/unit without the joycons and with the pro controller.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm going to buy this. how does the screen size compare with standard tablets? ohw much is it going to cost? can i get some deal that gets me the bigger, better version that inevitably comes out?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

katkillad2 posted:

I'd like the option to purchase the base/unit without the joycons and with the pro controller.

I'd like just the dock and the Joy-Cons without the screen

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Same here 3D using buddy. :smith:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

katkillad2 posted:

Knowing Nintendo we'll probably get neither.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm 6'8'' so the pockets in my pants are pretty big and can hold my new 3ds just fine if I need to take it somewhere, but I didn't realize size was an issue. I haven't heard any of my friends complain about it at any rate, it's only as long as most phones are now even if it's twice as thick.

Like I said though I'm a bit tall so any pockets on my pants are big.

Just out of curiosity, what all do you keep in your pockets?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
selling the handheld unit without the dock seems like a bad business decision :shrug:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Keys, wallet, 3DS XL, two cell phones, pocket sand

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if the dock is just a power/video connector then removing it isn't going to make the device much cheaper anyway

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'd like just the dock and the Joy-Cons without the screen

I want just the dock, so that when people come over I can be all like "Let's play some Switch! Oh wait, where did I put the console...."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

katkillad2 posted:

mmm. mmm hmm. [nods sagely]

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I hope they sell extra docks. I'd drop money to have a dock set up at grandma's house so I can send the kids with this in a backpack.

Hell I have a kid family room with a wiiu now and a ps4 in my adult living room. I'd love to be able to snag this and in 30 seconds be zeldaing in the other room.

I want 3 docks please nintendo

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 21, 2016

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Guys think there's any chance this goes over 5 hours? I know the shield tablet went up to 8 hours but it wasn't running as intensive of games. Really hoping this gets to 5 - 8 hours but thinking 2 - 4 is more realistic.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
With the Nintendo Switch you can Zelda ANYWHERE

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo.......bitch

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Hopefully, the touchscreen is also used for DS/3DS Virtual Console eventually. 3DS VC (obviously without 3D) would be so cool.

I wouldn't even be upset if that meant that DS/3DS VC was portable mode only.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

spasticColon posted:

Knowing Nintendo we'll probably get neither.

Knowing Nintendo, the touch screen will not be an optional interface, making the tablet mandatory for some games.

When the console is too expensive, they won't be able to remove the table and offer a home console only model. Giving us the same problem we have no with the Wii U and pricing.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I can't think of any handheld Nintendo I'd actually not mind having in my pocket currently and that includes the gameboy pocket. The thickness matters when it's over 3x phone thickness.

InFlames235 posted:

Guys think there's any chance this goes over 5 hours? I know the shield tablet went up to 8 hours but it wasn't running as intensive of games. Really hoping this gets to 5 - 8 hours but thinking 2 - 4 is more realistic.

It'll be 2-4 but nowadays portable chargers are cheap and they'd probably sell one that would at least slow the drain and extend it to 5-8 if not better.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dr Cheeto posted:

The joycons each have one trigger and one shoulder buttons that, when mounted to the tablet, are on the top. You can see them most clearly in the image here pointing out the game card and the one showing off the kickstand.

I see that, but the people playing Mario Kart are holding them in the opposite direction, so those triggers would not be easily accessible to fingers. It seems like that maybe there are triggers where the Joy-Con connects.

Zonekeeper posted:

If they went as far as sticking shoulder buttons mapped to L and ZL/R and ZR on the attachment rails of each joycon, that's incredibly elegant and much better than trying to use whatever two are digging into your palm.

This got me thinking and I realized that each one has as many buttons as an SNES controller - there's two shoulder buttons on each one (L/R and ZL/ZR) as well as a +/- button and a home button/whatever's on the other one that can be used as start/select. So that means you can do portable 2-player SNES VC games with no additional accessories.

Even though it doesn't sound likely, I'm really hoping so.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Knowing Nintendo, the touch screen will not be an optional interface, making the tablet mandatory for some games.

When the console is too expensive, they won't be able to remove the table and offer a home console only model. Giving us the same problem we have no with the Wii U and pricing.

Sources are saying the opposite, that it is there but can not be required for any game.

• Locked thread