Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

I'd love something like Reuters TV, but for audio.

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/500005/hourly-news-summary/

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Axiem posted:

If you're Xcode-development-inclined, I threw together a super-simple clock app for my sister because she begged me enough. It's super no-frills and not appstore-worthy by any means.

Thanks, but that's way over my head. I'll just find something in the app store.

decypher posted:

Try rotating the phone and sliding over.

I am on iOS 9 and tapping a location does nothing. When you rotate to landscape you get the map view, then when you slide over from that you get the big jumbo clock.

I'm on an ipad air, but tried it anyway. No dice, but thanks regardless

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

flosofl posted:

I'd love something like Reuters TV, but for audio.

I'd never heard of this until you posted it, but holy poo poo yes. It's kind of nuts that it can expand or contract to fit however long you want it to be.

Yeah, I found that while doing some more poking around - If I can figure out a way to get Pocket Casts/some other app to somehow automatically make a playlist with that at the front, it'd be pretty neat. That feels like something that should be doable. "This playlist is Hourly News Summary, Other Nerd Podcast, then Comedy Podcast" without me having to specifically pull in the new episodes every week.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 18, 2016

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
quote is not edit

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have an old iPhone 4S. It works fine with one exception: the Podcasts app crashes.

For some reason, the Podcasts app started crashing more or less randomly when clicking through stuff. Tried connecting to iTunes and just removing all subscriptions, deleting all episodes and adding them back later. Now, the app crashes within a few seconds of starting up, without any interaction. The internal database must be corrupted or something.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Already switched to Overcast, but regular Apple Podcasts app was really all I needed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

I have an old iPhone 4S. It works fine with one exception: the Podcasts app crashes.

For some reason, the Podcasts app started crashing more or less randomly when clicking through stuff. Tried connecting to iTunes and just removing all subscriptions, deleting all episodes and adding them back later. Now, the app crashes within a few seconds of starting up, without any interaction. The internal database must be corrupted or something.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Already switched to Overcast, but regular Apple Podcasts app was really all I needed.

I've been noticing a lot of jankiness with the Apple Podcasts app. It stinks because I also just needed a no frills podcast app.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
iCatcher is a fantastic podcast app. For years I've read so much bullshit in this thread with podcast app drama when I've always used iCatcher with absolutely zero issues. It Just Works.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone else had problems with the start/stop times of their music since going to 10? Some songs will stop suddenly while playing, and my other songs that skip the intros/outros will play the full song on my phone, but skip them in iTunes.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Please tell me I can fix this. Every time I type I'M it auto caps the m like you see. How do I loving make that not happen.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You could theoretically make a keyboard shortcut for it

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Expand your suggestion bar (swipe up from the top of the keyboard towards the top of the phone), enter it exactly as " I'm ", then tap the left-most option, do that over and over again until the autocorrect engine realizes what to do?

EDIT: \/ if you've entered "I'M" in conversations more frequently (like I'M SO EXICTED or I'M A YUUUUUGE GOON) then it'll just assume that's how you want it formatted from now on.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
But why is it doing it?!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

rear end Catchcum posted:

But why is it doing it?!

you yell too much

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way for me to speak into my iPad and have it come out of the speakers attached to my (older) Apple TV?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there an app that can help me find small venues nearby that have local small bands playing at them? I live in a city but I'm looking for something where I can see local coffee shops that let an unknown band play some night or something like that.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Celery Jello posted:

Yeah, I found that while doing some more poking around - If I can figure out a way to get Pocket Casts/some other app to somehow automatically make a playlist with that at the front, it'd be pretty neat. That feels like something that should be doable. "This playlist is Hourly News Summary, Other Nerd Podcast, then Comedy Podcast" without me having to specifically pull in the new episodes every week.

Downcast can do this. You can set certain podcasts to always play before others (it is a 1-10 priority scale), and have playlists that automatically include specified podcasts. It will automatically download them in the background too, if you want.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Duet Display is 50% off

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Duet Display is 50% off

VERY recommended. It works fantastic, especially on the 12" pro.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
They've got a new Pro subscription also that allows for pressure/tilt goodness on Mac and Windows. I haven't tried it on my Windows PC yet, but AFAIK it's the only alternative to Astropad for Windows that supports all the Apple Pencil dynamics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cataloging app? I want somewhere to document all my comic trades/movies/records/whatever. UPC scanning would be ideal and having a Mac app with cloud support would be a nice bonus. I have no problems paying for quality.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Mike posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cataloging app? I want somewhere to document all my comic trades/movies/records/whatever. UPC scanning would be ideal and having a Mac app with cloud support would be a nice bonus. I have no problems paying for quality.

Delicious Library was pretty neat for that on the Mac way back when, whatever happened to that company and why didn't they get in on the app craze (as far as I can tell?)

There is a companion app to scan upc but I have no idea if the Mac app is being updated or what.. https://delicious-monster.com

priznat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 27, 2016

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using Libib for that, which has worked generally pretty well, but I'm not blown away by it.

https://appsto.re/us/4h3bR.i

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any way for me to speak into my iPad and have it come out of the speakers attached to my (older) Apple TV?

Through the optical audio? I don't know, I don't have any speakers connected to my older Apple TV.

But you can use airplay mirroring to send your voice to your TV( and any connected speakers, obviously.) It works but the drawback being your screen is shown on the TV.

The app is Microphone | VonBruno by Von Bruno. It also works with any speaker plugged into your iPhone as well, if you don't have the 7.

edit: The workflow I described is not officially supported by the app, but it works.

decypher fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 27, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
There is an app i want that is unavailable for my country.

I have tried to google multiple iterations of wether or not i can use multiple app store accounts on the same iPhone but all the hits are either about how to have multiple GameCenter accounts, how to have multiple Clash of Clans accounts or how to have multiple devices for the same app store account. Not different accounts on the same device.

Can i sign out of the app store account currently on my phone, to which all my apps are downloaded, and log on to a different account and download an app?
If yes, can i still use my apps from the other account?
Are there any restrictions in how often i can swap? I know there are restrictions to swapping which country an account is associated, 90 days, but i cannot find information wether or not this applies to changing the account entirely.

What i want to do is to log out of my current account, log on to another account and download the app, then log back to my original account.
Would i need to log back to the other account to update the app whenever it gets updated?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes, you can switch to accounts from different countries without restriction. You can use apps from both accounts at the same time on your device

The only issue is the one you mentioned: updates. Yes, you will need to sign in to the account the update is associated with in order to update it, and if the app itself isn't present in the store you're usually signed into, the update won't even show up until you switch to that country's app store (by switching accounts).

I leave my phone signed into my US account/app store 99% of the time, but every once in a while I pop over to my JP/TW accounts and am always surprised by a few app updates magically appearing.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Great, thanks!

Do i need to do this through iTunes or can i do it entirely from inside the phone?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You can do it entirely on the phone. Either through the settings app or the app store itself.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Settings / iTunes and App Store, tap your account at the top and sign out, then create another. You'll used to need a credit/debit card/iTunes voucher in the country you're creating for, don't know if that's still the case.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
No you don't, you can make an account for any country without a payment method but there is some trick to make it happen. I think it's that you have to try to make an account while "purchasing" a free app. You do need a valid address in the country you're trying to make an account for, but that's easy enough to google.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Be aware that if you use Apple Music, this will delete all the albums you may have downloaded. Your poo poo will still be the way it was beforehand, but any downloaded albums or music will go back to be streams.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

decypher posted:

Through the optical audio? I don't know, I don't have any speakers connected to my older Apple TV.

But you can use airplay mirroring to send your voice to your TV( and any connected speakers, obviously.) It works but the drawback being your screen is shown on the TV.

The app is Microphone | VonBruno by Von Bruno. It also works with any speaker plugged into your iPhone as well, if you don't have the 7.

edit: The workflow I described is not officially supported by the app, but it works.

Thanks, making a recording and playing it back worked.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks, making a recording and playing it back worked.

Glad you got it working. And I realize now I was wrong about what I said about the 7. You'd obviously just need a, uh...adapter.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm building a win 10 media center. I know the microsoft remote app works for remote access using my ipad but is there a good app to make my ipad a giant track pad for the win10 pc?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is unified remote on Windows? I use that for my Mac

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI but LastPass announced you can now access your password vault on your device for free via the LastPass app. It was previously restricted to the subscription tier.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

don't use lastpass

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Did someone say Dashlane?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

baram. posted:

don't use lastpass

Counterpoint: LastPass is good

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Schpyder posted:

For laughing at. Little else. Might as well use a post-it note.