Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Final Cut Pro sells hardware, so I'd bet either they say "Hay guys the new iMacs are rilly rilly powerful" or "have this new Trash Can with dual RX 480's."

3 years without a peep on the Pro line is going to turn into Pro sales going into the cellar, if they haven't already.

And if there is a new Pro, they should think about multiple SSDs..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh really? I assumed Apple had abandoned FCP

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh really? I assumed Apple had abandoned FCP
The soul still burns, my friend. http://www.fcpxcreativesummit.com

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dunno if FCP is a hardware seller any more. Anyone I know who's editing serious stuff has moved to Premiere by now. I mean they're still editing on Macs but that's more personal choice. Of course you'll always have the Avid old heads.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Any chance they might make the top level SSD 2TB (or more) or is that another turbonerd fantasy like ports for the periperals I already own and use.

Oh right I'm supposed to pay $240/yr in perpetuity for cloud storage now

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

About the only thing you could be picky about with 2015 rMBPs vs 2013s is the marginally better SSD speed (and even there, you need to buy a 512 GB/ 1 TB SSD to see much difference.)
In my case it's extremely marginal because my late-2013 is already on the fast 1TB PCIe SSD. Newer ones show synthetic benchmark advantages, but based on the stuff I do here at work with NVMe SSDs we're at a point of diminishing returns with most consumer workloads.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

or a super de duper turbo PCIe 16x SSD
Optane/3D Xpoint :getin:

IanTheM posted:

I really hope that there's the Mac Pro refresh that's been delayed forever. The new gen AMD graphics cards are here already... It's probably just going to be the laptops though, since there hasn't been a single proper rumor regarding the Mac Pro at all, but at least they're starting to refresh things. New version of FCP X slated to be announced Thursday as well.
Broadwell EP has been out for a while now, Skylake is around the corner at this point (...relative to Mac Pro update time scales at least). Course I wonder if they ever thought that Skylake EP would be loving huge.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I'm looking at swapping back to a 15" from a 13" at work and what I'd really like is to be able to push a 5K screen from a laptop without using MST. If the new models have Thunderbolt 3 ports that support 5K DisplayPort signals (which they should if they actually are Kaby Lake as has been rumoured) then that'll be enough for me to purchase one.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dunno if FCP is a hardware seller any more. Anyone I know who's editing serious stuff has moved to Premiere by now. I mean they're still editing on Macs but that's more personal choice. Of course you'll always have the Avid old heads.
FCPX pushed old FCP users to Premiere who were using AE in their workflow anyways. FCPX is pretty much social media's darling for editing though. poo poo is easy for YouTubers and FAST.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Housh posted:

FCPX pushed old FCP users to Premiere who were using AE in their workflow anyways. FCPX is pretty much social media's darling for editing though. poo poo is easy for YouTubers and FAST.

FCP X's disadvantage is the same thing that gives it an advantage. Apple did a super Apple thing, and went for broke trying to do something unique. They lost of a lot of users to Premiere, since it was so similar to how 7 worked, but at the same time created a program that does certain things better than any other. I find that personally it's easy to work with after I got used to it when I picked up editing again, I don't really feel it holds me back on top of the fact that I don't rely on After Effects. I use it for the same reason why a lot of other people don't use it, though, which is that it's a tool that I'm familiar with that makes it easier to just edit. On the other end of the spectrum, Avid hasn't died off because it also provides functionalities (multiple editors working on the same project) that no other program provides, despite all it's anachronisms. There's a place for FCP X, if Apple provides good enough machines for it. I'm just worried that they're not going to go beyond MacBooks and iMacs, both of which are basically just laptops.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The way multicam works in FCPX is beautiful. I'm sure the other NLEs caught up (except Avid, because lol) but at the time support was added there was nothing like it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Magic Bar patent filed. The keyboard panel is for real.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I am so excited for the new Macs. Not sure how much I'll care (or use) the display bar, though. It'll probably be on the Pros only anyway.

Give me my retina Airs (that isn't the MacBook) :f5:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Airs are dead

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'd wait until after next Thursday to say that for sure.

Edit: Man, wish I could put myself into a coma until Thursday afternoon.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 20, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
We won't see Mac Pro updates until the new Xeons launch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm gonna guess that now is not quite the right time to buy a new MBP? Started looking at the specs for some of the newer ones and hoo boy, they're tempting.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna guess that now is not quite the right time to buy a new MBP? Started looking at the specs for some of the newer ones and hoo boy, they're tempting.

wait a week

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna guess that now is not quite the right time to buy a new MBP?
That's depends on how stupid you want to feel in 6 days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll take that as a yes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pollyanna posted:

I'll take that as a yes.

Apple is having an event on the 27th under the headline "Hello again," the majority of the internet has come to the conclusion that it will be about the Mac line. Immediately following that will be a great time to buy a gently-used MBP, or get a brand new one if you like what you see.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's going to be the current product line but available in an array of pastels.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

It's going to be the current product line but available in an array of pastels.

All rMBP will be available in Rose Gold only.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Just bought a less than 3 month old retina MBP off Craigslist for $600 :waycool:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

enojy posted:

Apple is having an event on the 27th under the headline "Hello again," the majority of the internet has come to the conclusion that it will be about the Mac line. Immediately following that will be a great time to buy a gently-used MBP, or get a brand new one if you like what you see.

How long after these events does it usually take for the MBPs to be in customers hands? I'm in the SF Bay Area, aka techie mecca, so I know the local craigslist should be flooded with mid-2015 macbooks as soon as these new ones reach customers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Linguica posted:

Just bought a less than 3 month old retina MBP off Craigslist for $600 :waycool:

How did you get the jizz off of it

Mordiceius posted:

How long after these events does it usually take for the MBPs to be in customers hands? I'm in the SF Bay Area, aka techie mecca, so I know the local craigslist should be flooded with mid-2015 macbooks as soon as these new ones reach customers.

Sometimes it's available that day sometimes you wait weeks.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 21, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Linguica posted:

Enjoy your stolen goods

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

mitztronic posted:

Enjoy your stolen goods
I am and I will.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Linguica posted:

I am and I will.

It's probably mine. If you pay me $1700 I'll give you the unlock code.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My workplace just moved me to using Macs and I'm looking for a full-size keyboard with Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, and a numeric keypad. Any recommendations?

Would a Windows keyboard be a lot of trouble?

Or should I stick to the wired Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad? I'm a little concerned about how it hasn't been updated for five years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Or should I stick to the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad? I'm a little concerned about how it hasn't been updated for five years.

Because it's perfect

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vegetable posted:

a Windows keyboard be a lot of trouble?

Or should I stick to the wired Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad? I'm a little concerned about how it hasn't been updated for five years.
Have they added keys recently? Just use any old USB keyboard - the command key maps to the windows key

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

Because it's perfect

I wouldn't say it's perfect, for the workplace I would say something like this: https://codekeyboards.com/ with the MX Clears is perfect. Sure, it's expensive, but it's a good mix of quiet and tactile, has all the numpad and stuff and Fn keys if you need them (that stay out of your way if you don't), easily configurable for Mac or PC, you can even disable Caps Lock.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vegetable posted:

My workplace just moved me to using Macs and I'm looking for a full-size keyboard with Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, and a numeric keypad. Any recommendations?

Would a Windows keyboard be a lot of trouble?

Usually the only difference in the basic layout is an extra modifier key for Windows or whatever and slightly different number pad. Apple keyboards (and a few third party Mac specific ones) have a normal key size plus key along with an equal key, while most keyboards have a double height plus key and no equal one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just replaced the hinges on my old MBP and it works perfectly now and I even managed to fix some weird "WIfi: No Hardware Installed" issue literally by banging on part of the motherboard and now I feel pretty badass.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I'm really hoping for a refresh/update on the Mac Mini. I don't need an all-in-one with a monitor and the Mac Pro is horrendously overpriced.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they update the Mac Mini they will just put the iPad Air into a box the size of a credit card.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mu Zeta posted:

If they update the Mac Mini they will just put the iPad Air into a box the size of a credit card.

Introducing... the Apple Pi

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah. I get that Mini users aren't their target audience, but I just want a "normal" Mac desktop without the need for a monitor, so here's to hoping though. If they don't, then I might just end up with the 13" Air or a Macbook Pro. Guess I'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I hope they announce a machine with PCIe slots. The odds are slim to none but surely somebody at Apple must be watching the prices for 5,1 Mac Pros. They still sell for good money even though their single-core benchmark scores are below those of a passively cooled 12" Macbook.

Some random poster over at macrumors wrote up a nice story. Trashcan design cancelled. Complete Mac Pro redesign with PCIe slots and enough room for an internal RAID array. I want to believe.

The reality is that Tim Cook read this story, laughed his rear off and promptly assigned an additional 250 engineers to the "Xcode on iPad Pro" project.