Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The tooltips for districts and buildings seem low on detail; I don't think any of them list their adjacency bonuses. Is there a way to turn on 'advanced tooltips' or something to get more detail? I also can't figure out how to enable the production queue in my cities =(

This is the game's biggest shortcoming right now imo. Even for people who bought the game day 1 and presumably have played a bunch of civ, it's somewhat confusing and overwhelming because there is just not enough easy information for new stuff. Easier adjacency bonus info is a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

This is the game's biggest shortcoming right now imo. Even for people who bought the game day 1 and presumably have played a bunch of civ, it's somewhat confusing and overwhelming because there is just not enough easy information for new stuff. Easier adjacency bonus info is a big one.

The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure the preview build handed out to the streamers did have all the adjacency bonuses listed right there in the tooltip.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ It did, yeah.

Antti posted:

You get open borders if you're the suzerain, there's also a late game diplomatic policy card to force open borders on them.

Projects are listed beneath the units, space race stuff and the projects to open up nukes are listed there as projects. They are large scale things that don't take up a tile, basically.

Here's my question: how the hell do I queue up builds in a city?

You don't, there's no build queue in another stunning UI decision.

Thanks for the projects tip, and the poster linking the manual was right - projects are mentioned there. It's really weird it's not in the civpedia though. I wish I had seen this in time to use the Holy site project to snag a religion before all the prophets were taken. I did not see a single streamer use this feature either and I watched about 1000 turns of 5-6 civ games :s

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Holy gently caress I have no idea what I'm doing but I just killed Geneva as the Aztecs and its great. Might look to roll over Kongo next and then go overseas to see who else to murder. :black101:

No build queue is pretty baffling, though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How are you supposed to use a Great Scientist? I just got my first one, Hypatia, and all she can do is build a library? I already have one on my only campus. I used here on that one anyway, and she was supposed to give +1 science per turn, but I didn't get that :confused:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Move it to your Science District.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When you have a great person that needs to be activated on a specific district (all of them?), when you select them, places that they can be used at will have a white border on the map.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I did that, and didn't get any benefit.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh, Lux resources. If I have 1 copy I get 4 amenities, but if I have 2 copies of the same do I get 8 amenities or are extras just for trading? By the time I got copies I had several luxs and a city state bonus which made bonuses give amenities and since the tooltip doesn't break down the sources I cannot tell what is happening.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

The tooltips for districts and buildings seem low on detail; I don't think any of them list their adjacency bonuses. Is there a way to turn on 'advanced tooltips' or something to get more detail? I also can't figure out how to enable the production queue in my cities =(

I would love for a way to speed up tooltips, it takes forever right now.

Also, when I'm issuing build or move commands, city names shouldn't cause the city to be selected :argh:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
First game as Rome. Three city states next to me but not a single major civ on the entire island/2 continents I'm on. An undiscovered Civ has already been wiped out and its only turn 60.

Since I have no Civs to compete with directly, I'm just sim-city-ing my empire. Only an hour in and this feels wonderful. Map scroll is a bit wonky though. I've been plowing through Wonders, too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does the Meritocracy policy grant you +1 Culture, forever, for each district you have? Only +1 at the time that you create a district? Only districts that were constructed during the policy being active gets +1 to its yield?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What do you actually need luxury resources for in this game, with the happiness mechanic apparently removed?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

PirateBob posted:

What do you actually need luxury resources for in this game, with the happiness mechanic apparently removed?

Amenities. Which is basically happiness.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
There's so much lack of polish poo poo that I'm surprised it got through QA and beta

How is it 2016 and they have this complete garbage of a map scrolling. If you want to scroll top you have to put your mouse at the bottom of the toolbar instead of the top of screen of your screen like every game since the first age of empires. And if you want to actually use that toolbar your mouse pointer would naturally go through that area and make you scroll up whenever you want to click up there. There's no settings option to change scroll speed

And there's no settings option for tooltip delay which defaults to like 3 seconds which is so loving stupid

If you fortify your unit it eats up all their movement points because ????? None of the older civ did that poo poo why??? And they took out sentry mode too because ??? Trying to click your city to bombard enemies is annoying and the clicking to put your citizens into working certain spots just doesn't feel right somehow compared to the older civ. You can't see an enemy unit's stats without having your own combat unit selected.

Just so much poo poo that makes it obvious they rushed the release. However, it is awesome they included religions and tourism into the base game instead of partitioning them into expansions. The AI is pretty aggressive and that's cool - but only if they're on a big continent. The AI still just completely shuts down on island maps. The combat AI still doesn't know how to protect their ranged units with screens and just marches all their units into your grinder.

Civ5 was all about the early game propelling you to snowball which involves a good starting location and alot of early aggression and I think the optimal build in 6 would be even more early aggression, like just skipping scout and monument completely and keep pumping out warriors. Cities can't even defend themselves until they build a wall. As for build order you're pretty much soft capped by housing until you can research neighborhoods so there's no reason to build farms especially since space is a premium now.

Also I miss the earth and japan maps. Japan was such a good map to play in because it was compact with a ton of resources and varied terrain while being surrounded by water.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Amenities. Which is basically happiness.

Where in the UI is amenity status hidden?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

PirateBob posted:

Target a city, then Toggle City Details. Next to the Buy Tile button.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Jastiger posted:

Want mah money back.

Hey, no worries. You can spend more money to buy it separately. https://christophertin.com/store.html

:argh:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PirateBob posted:

It's per-city. Pick a city and look at how you don't get a tooltip telling you how you're getting that value.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

There's so much lack of polish poo poo that I'm surprised it got through QA and beta

I don't know man. There's certainly some annoying things I agree that suck re: map scroll, but I think this statement is a huge overreaction to what was delivered. In most respects I'd be proud of this release.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Target a city, then Toggle City Details. Next to the Buy Tile button.
That sure is easy and convenient. :downs:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
First game, first win. :smug:

Wonder how high I rank--

Ah.

All in all, I went into Civ VI with fairly low expectations but so far it's... surprisingly good? There are definitely several issues but most of them are on the "This can be fixed in a patch" -level rather than the "This is fundamentally broken" -level. The AI is as expected the weakest link, but it's not as crippled as I feared it would be and it's definitely better than V's was at launch. The UI definitely ain't great either, hopefully it'll get some polish over time. Haven't tested multiplayer yet.

Once the roughest edges get smoothed out and especially once the meatier patches and DLCs come out, it definitely has the potential to be the best Civ so far.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brannock posted:

Does the Meritocracy policy grant you +1 Culture, forever, for each district you have? Only +1 at the time that you create a district? Only districts that were constructed during the policy being active gets +1 to its yield?

Since you can pick and choose policies multiple times, I assume it would be +1 per district while you have it active, right?

Kanfy posted:

Once the roughest edges get smoothed out and especially once the meatier patches and DLCs come out, it definitely has the potential to be the best Civ so far.

Multiplayer actually works! On the first try! On release night! A+++++++ would civilize again!

And yeah, I feel like the only stuff that really jumps out at me as "Why the hell would you do this?" is all UI based, which should be easier to fix than fundamental gameplay stuff.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 21, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I take it there's no way to stop AI leaders from hijacking my screen whenever they want to tell me my military is weak or whatever? I was really hoping they would have done away with that or made it optional because it's really obnoxious.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FooF posted:

First game as Rome. Three city states next to me but not a single major civ on the entire island/2 continents I'm on. An undiscovered Civ has already been wiped out and its only turn 60.

Since I have no Civs to compete with directly, I'm just sim-city-ing my empire. Only an hour in and this feels wonderful. Map scroll is a bit wonky though. I've been plowing through Wonders, too.

Every game I'm in I have to do nothing but churn out military units for 50-100 turns or get overwhelmed by barbarians camps that spawn a warrior every other turn.

If I stop making units, or even lose a few it is game over almost instantly and I'm only on Prince difficulty.

Something seems pretty untuned at the moment.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
^You really have to hunt down the barbarian camps to keep them from spawning. Just defending your territory is not enough. The civs with good early game units really shine here. As Sumer, you can just build a few war carts and you'll be fine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Funny moments from my first hour.

Examining the tooltips on how to raise access level with Catherine de Medici of France:

quote:

Play as Catherine de Medici

:stare:

Playing as China and I establish an embassy with the Scythians.

quote:

Our spies report that the Chinese have established an embassy with Scythia.

:stare:

Yess..... thank you CIA.

No idea what I'm doing with getting off the ground here, but having fun.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
SET.RagingBarbarians=1 is on by default :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Didn't have much trouble with barbs on King. Just a warrior and a slinger then archer cleared most camps before they were a problem. You need to kill scouts before they can find your cities and report back to their camp though. Also, if you get horse barbs spearmen are great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just converted the Kongo capital city, the last of all his cities, and two turns later Nzinga is telling me he's angry I'm reluctant to spread my religion.

Then I became suzerain of two city-states and Barbarossa calls to tell me he's happy I'm not interfering with city-states

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm in a weird place with the FOW, where I think it's legitimately attractive and aesthetically appealing, but also... somehow... annoying. I think I'm looking forward to a mod that adds traditional darkened FOW back.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ultrachrist posted:

^You really have to hunt down the barbarian camps to keep them from spawning. Just defending your territory is not enough. The civs with good early game units really shine here. As Sumer, you can just build a few war carts and you'll be fine.

The villages were respawning before my forces had even healed. And once they respawned they spawned 1 warrior every 2 turns.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
^Hmm, yeah sounds like there's some bugs there!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just converted the Kongo capital city, the last of all his cities, and two turns later Nzinga is telling me he's angry I'm reluctant to spread my religion.

Then I became suzerain of two city-states and Barbarossa calls to tell me he's happy I'm not interfering with city-states

Rome decided to take over my screen to say something along the lines of "How's it feel to be bankrupt, rear end in a top hat?" when I had like 2.5k gold and 30 gpt.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, Lux resources. If I have 1 copy I get 4 amenities, but if I have 2 copies of the same do I get 8 amenities or are extras just for trading? By the time I got copies I had several luxs and a city state bonus which made bonuses give amenities and since the tooltip doesn't break down the sources I cannot tell what is happening.

From what I understand: each luxury resource type gives you 1 amenity each to up to (number of copies × 4) cities.

So, if you have diamond ×2, that's 1 amenity each to up to 8 cities. If you only have 4 cities or less, you might as well trade the second diamond to somebody for money or whatever

On the other hand, if you have diamond ×1 and mercury ×1, that's 2 amenities each to up to 4 cities.

tl;dr: you want (cities ÷ 4, round up) copies of each luxury resource

Ice Fist posted:

I don't know man. There's certainly some annoying things I agree that suck re: map scroll, but I think this statement is a huge overreaction to what was delivered. In most respects I'd be proud of this release.

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff to nitpick over, but the basic experience as a game is really pretty rad compared to like, any other day-one Civ release ever.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Love this game. The UI needs some work and it's a little buggy but whatever. The only thing that really pisses me off is that we are 3 games in now with the same basic espionage system and it is still just annoying trash busy work. At bare minimum my counter-intelligence shouldn't constantly require refreshing. Trade routes are just as bad actually.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 21, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I'm constantly getting told by Germany that if I keep helping his enemies, he will destroy me.

I have not made deals with anyone in the entire game, ever.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

goddamn this is a hot tip.

when my :horse: aren't running over everything, I can sell them for :homebrew:

always's be building :horse:

Scythia is going to get nerfed. It's amazing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I regret going religion in my game. It's the same tediousness of Civ 4.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cams posted:

put in some hours and i feel like i still have no idea how to play optimally. maybe i am just bad, but i feel like they did a great job of of forcing you to play more adaptable and reactionary than previous iterations where sticking to a strict build order was often a winning strategy. loving the game.

It feels good to play a game as a human being rather than a build order robot, IMO.

This will pass in time, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ice Fist posted:

It's not really an overreaction because it's a game built on an existing decade old platform. Every Fallout game is simply an iteration of the last + some new things or content, and so is this. The bugs or annoyances of the UI that currently exist are troubling from a QC perspective because some of them have been problems for 5 years.