Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
My satin varnish arrived yesterday. Sadly I have no spaceships to smother it over.

New update is (finally) out though. Hawk are aiming to have everything packed by the end of the month (so just over a week). But actually dispatching them might run into November. It seems they are now packing boxes faster than the couriers are taking them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gloss black armour and metallic details? I'll have to hold off painting my PHR to see how those xenomorphs turn out.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
My stuff (Captain pledge with quite a few add ons) is arriving Monday!

I may have already bought and built UCM and PHR starter fleets as well...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Ugleb posted:

My satin varnish arrived yesterday. Sadly I have no spaceships to smother it over.

New update is (finally) out though. Hawk are aiming to have everything packed by the end of the month (so just over a week). But actually dispatching them might run into November. It seems they are now packing boxes faster than the couriers are taking them away.

I will still be surprised if they get everything packed this month, but them starting to send out Commodores today surprised me so who knows? I figured they would not be going out till next week sometime as they worked through the 600 Captian Orders.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Man the UCM missile frigs are nasty. A group of four ripped apart a Hector+fighter support in a single turn. Then ate a whole turn's fire trying to peel them outta my battleline.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ijyt posted:

Gloss black armour and metallic details? I'll have to hold off painting my PHR to see how those xenomorphs turn out.

The gloss black is just to make the metallics shinier. The flat surfaces are going to be some where between light blue grey and panzer grey. I am not fully decided.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Man the UCM missile frigs are nasty. A group of four ripped apart a Hector+fighter support in a single turn. Then ate a whole turn's fire trying to peel them outta my battleline.
Already got 6 of these bad bitches exactly for this reason

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I think I've got my 999 point fleet for PHR sorted.

quote:

Vanguard (280)
Bellerophon (180)
- 2x Pandora (100)

Line (227)
Orion (107)
- 3x Europa (120)

Pathfinder (308)
2x Ikarus (230)
- 2x Medea (78)

Pathfinder (178)
Ajax (100)
- 2x Medea (78)

I'm not sure how much objective grabbing force is too much, but 4 strike carriers at a sub-1000 point game seems enough to contest objectives well.

To expand to 1,250 I add another group comprising an Orpheus and two more Pandoras. Then for 1,500 drop a Europa and add a Battleship instead. I don't know how well it will work but I think it should be fun and that's what counts.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Please don't paint them like vibrators, like so many other people are !

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
No, please do. And use soft touch paint for the armor so they feel silky smooth.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
PJR Represent !

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

All hail PJR *vzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt*

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So for people assembling PHR, how do you make the hull halves join flush? It looks like there's a very tiny difference in height near the sprue joint at the top of the halves.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Renfield posted:

Please don't paint them like vibrators, like so many other people are !

I've gone for a sports car green which is so dark it doesn't photograph at all well, with silver and gold detailing. It looks great in the flesh but without a proper light box it might as well just be black.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So for people assembling PHR, how do you make the hull halves join flush? It looks like there's a very tiny difference in height near the sprue joint at the top of the halves.

Either use excess plastic glue so it squeezes out and then sand it down, or use some modelling putty to fill out the gap. No idea how I'm going to fix the front sensor on the frigates, GW has spoiled me on kits that go seamlessly together. :(

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My excitement got the better of me, and i just ordered two more PHR starters.

These models just look so awesome.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ijyt posted:

Either use excess plastic glue so it squeezes out and then sand it down, or use some modelling putty to fill out the gap.

Thanks.

Another question for those of you assembling goodies - how hard is it to align the Scourge crests properly? It looks like it's something you have to eyeball, and that always leaves me paranoid as hell. I'm hoping the larger crest for the Basilisk is keyed on the bottom, but who knows.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A great thing for plastic gap filling is this.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

wdarkk posted:

Another question for those of you assembling goodies - how hard is it to align the Scourge crests properly? It looks like it's something you have to eyeball, and that always leaves me paranoid as hell. I'm hoping the larger crest for the Basilisk is keyed on the bottom, but who knows.

Fear not. The crests all have mounting tabs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Thanks.

Oh yeah I forgot something that might not be entirely obvious, wait for the plastic glue to fully cure if you're going that route, otherwise you'll just having strings of melted plastic everywhere. :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Right now i'm super tempted to buy a Garden of Morr set from GW and use the tiny mausoleums as huge and spooky cathedrals in Dropzone. And i could always use the whole thing in Warmachine at a later date...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I had a chat with Dave at the launch event in Bromley today. We can expect battleships soonish (he gave a date but specifically asked me not to quote it, as it depends on freeing up manpower from packing), and corvettes and dreadnoughts early next year. He gave us a sneak peak of the UCM corvette - it's got a huge centreline ramjet intake, and is built around the engine like a catamaran.

The Scourge superdreadnoughts mentioned in the fluff will remain fluff-only - apparently they'd be the size of the table if actually done in-scale. No sooner did Dave say this than a dozen heads turned from the painting table and we all clamoured for him to release rules to play games on top of one.

He's hoping some brave souls build a Olympus Orbital Defences table, and we ballparked some rules surrounding DZC games in a huge hangar bay with a fragile set of forcefields keeping the air in. I suggested he do a scenario for the "UCM trench run" depicted in the Phase 2 fluff and he agreed it was a good idea, but don't hold your breath waiting.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Has anyone figured out a comparable shaltari and phr fleet to run against the regular starter set?

Trying to have a demo fleet for all the races and than I'll build full fleets from there

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Shaltari starter box fleet is:

A: Pathfinder (Strat 7)
1 x Amber Cruiser
2 x Topaz Frigates

B: Line (Strat 8)
1 x Emerald Mothership
3 x Void Gate

C: Vanguard (Strat 12)
1 x Obsidian Heavy Cruiser
2 x Jade Frigates

I haven't looked at the points costs, but if there anything like DZC, the starters will be reasonably balanced against each other

Renfield fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 22, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Has anyone figured out a comparable shaltari and phr fleet to run against the regular starter set?

Trying to have a demo fleet for all the races and than I'll build full fleets from there

Ya I think you are encouraged to do whats on the fleet boxs. So for PHR it would be:
1x Theseus
1x Hector
1x Ikarus
2x Europa
2x Medea.

Not sure about how those are supposed to be organized in battle groups.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The UCM/Scourge Battlegroups tend to lump your Strike Carriers with your Heavy Cruiser and the attack frigates with the regular line cruiser variant. Each one has a "special" sort of ship that is on its own battlegroup, these being the Seattle-Class and Wyvern-Class, showcasing Launch Assets and CAWs respectively.

Ono
Feb 8, 2012

Pash posted:

Ya I think you are encouraged to do whats on the fleet boxs. So for PHR it would be:
1x Theseus
1x Hector
1x Ikarus
2x Europa
2x Medea.

Not sure about how those are supposed to be organized in battle groups.

Per the battlegroup cards that shipped with my Lt. pledge:

A: Pathfinder (Strat 7)
1 x Ikarus Vanguard Cruiser
2 x Medea Strike Carrier

B: Line (Strat 5)
1 x Theseus Light Cruiser

C: Vanguard (Strat 12)
1 x Hector Heavy Cruiser
2 x Europa Frigates

Ono
Feb 8, 2012

Cribbed Frobbe's approach from upthread for a Gargoyle Strike Carrier:

I planned to play PHR but I might paint up Scourge first just because it's so much easier to get a fleet ready for the table.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
After the amount of salt I've seen on display on Facebook this weekend, I don't think I'm ever going to complain again about how long Dropfleet is taking. One guy posted how he's going to refuse delivery and issue a chargeback on his bank account. Wish I could've gotten a screenshot, but away from my computer this weekend.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

After the amount of salt I've seen on display on Facebook this weekend, I don't think I'm ever going to complain again about how long Dropfleet is taking. One guy posted how he's going to refuse delivery and issue a chargeback on his bank account. Wish I could've gotten a screenshot, but away from my computer this weekend.

Tell him to just send his order my way.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I've been saving good looking color schemes from the various FB groups for a couple days... gonna put them on imgur for reference and update as I see new ones.

So far gray UCM with orange or yellow trim is my favorite, with forest green and cream as the runner up. Candy Red also looks nice on PHR.

http://imgur.com/a/VdN65

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to finally pick my stuff up tomorrow, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to painting them. Mostly because there are some really great schemes that end up being simple to do... and that I will somehow gently caress up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

YF19pilot posted:

I'd love to see that one in court.

"So, did you not receive your product?"
"Oh, They sent it, but I was annoyed that they fulfilled written contractual obligations over verbal ones and refused it, now I want my money back."
"You what?"

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Ono posted:

Cribbed Frobbe's approach from upthread for a Gargoyle Strike Carrier:

I planned to play PHR but I might paint up Scourge first just because it's so much easier to get a fleet ready for the table.

lookin' tite!

have an update on my Desolator

it's basically finished! i might wash the copper bits with nuln oil, as the reikland fleshshade i tried initially didn't really dull them to the extent i wanted. I've also got to paint the engine bits not visible in this picture.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Grey Hunter posted:

I'd love to see that one in court.

"So, did you not receive your product?"
"Oh, They sent it, but I was annoyed that they fulfilled written contractual obligations over verbal ones and refused it, now I want my money back."
"You what?"

*Points at neckbeard *
“Ah I see. Did your carer bring you to court today?"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

I've been saving good looking color schemes from the various FB groups for a couple days... gonna put them on imgur for reference and update as I see new ones.

So far gray UCM with orange or yellow trim is my favorite, with forest green and cream as the runner up. Candy Red also looks nice on PHR.

http://imgur.com/a/VdN65
Ooh what orange was used on the 6th down? Lovely colour there.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Uggggggg. I am going to need a guide on which PHR cruisers to build.

I think i am going to build a few of each chassis, and then magnetize the batteries/launchbays.

Do you guys think the light cruiser is going to get play out of starter games? It seems like PHR had Frigate killing ability across the board.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

I think i am going to build a few of each chassis, and then magnetize the batteries/launchbays.

Do you guys think the light cruiser is going to get play out of starter games? It seems like PHR had Frigate killing ability across the board.
all of them.

LCs seem good but at around the 1k margin, you need to take them in pairs and they're pricier to field that way than standard line cruisers and at starters (600pts) they just eat up too many points

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

dexefiend posted:

I like the look of the Theseus light cruiser because of its linked weapons. Makes a great flanker I imagine but you probably wont need to many of them. Maybe 2-3 on a flank though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Scourge cruisers are sharp straight off the sprue. I'm naming my first one Bloodseeker because it actually drew blood.

They also look like their chin weapons could be friction-fit with a little paint. I don't want to drill into them for magnets - anyone got any tips for swappable Scourge weapons?