Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, I also hated how they started championing green screen and overabundance of CG usage in that video, too!
It's almost like it's sarcastic or something.
They have gotten really cynical over Hollywood it seems, moreso than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I dunno, I think they've pretty much always been this cynical about the Hollywood Movie Factory Cash Machine. They've always hated anything involving marketing or any sort of design-by-committee interference, and generally they're far more interested in singular visions and auteur work.

Hell, they're like that for more than just Hollywood. They hate clickbait, vlogs, and 'Like Share and Subscribe!' expand your brand stuff too.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah they're just more self aware about it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

I cannot blame them, the cynicism of Hollywood is kind of justified. You can see them getting tired of the franchise machines (you can tell they have huge superhero fatigue at this point). I look back at this summer, and there were few movies that I thought were any good. The summer tent-pole system seems to be buckling under the weight of over-inflated budgets, threatening to cause the studio system to collapse under it's own weight.

The state of Hollywood is one where one wrong move could have major ramifications.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I got the feeling the point is that they're praising diversity that feel natural and organic, but making fun of the films that advertise WE@RE SO DIVERSE PLEASE LIKE US BECAUSE WE'RE SO DIVERSE pandering. The review was positive on how The Force Awakens had diverse casting in a way that felt natural and reflected real life, but made fun of the cynical Hollywood marketing of the diversity, where the studio wanted a pat on the back for doing something that films should be doing already.

The Force Awakens was really good on diversity - it felt natural and you didn't notice it, because it made the universe feel more real and more like real life. Unless you were on the internet screaming about John Boyega and Daisy Ridley (because having fun, well written characters who just so happen to be played by actors other than white men once in a while is too much apparently).

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cat doter posted:

apparently dumb enough to realise they were implying the diversity in the film was forced and cynical, just like the exact same argument they've made previously, gently caress me right

What's forced about it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OldMemes posted:

I got the feeling the point is that they're praising diversity that feel natural and organic, but making fun of the films that advertise WE@RE SO DIVERSE PLEASE LIKE US BECAUSE WE'RE SO DIVERSE pandering. The review was positive on how The Force Awakens had diverse casting in a way that felt natural and reflected real life, but made fun of the cynical Hollywood marketing of the diversity, where the studio wanted a pat on the back for doing something that films should be doing already.

The Force Awakens was really good on diversity - it felt natural and you didn't notice it, because it made the universe feel more real and more like real life. Unless you were on the internet screaming about John Boyega and Daisy Ridley (because having fun, well written characters who just so happen to be played by actors other than white men once in a while is too much apparently).

Yeah, that's how I felt too. Hollywood marketing takes a good thing then screws it up. The whole thing with diversity advocates, especially if they're in a group that's underrepresented in media, is that they don't want to be treated as special others. The whole point is that they want their casting to be as natural and uncelebrated as anyone else's (as in a white person's).

Now if only Hollywood would get with the times when it comes to treatment and pay of those actors.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Can somebody please point me to a Disney press release bragging about the diversity of TFA? Or even an interview with JJ Abrams or an actual producer on the film talking up how diverse it is. Because the talking point that always comes up, when people are criticizing diversity in media, is "I'm totally fine with diversity, it's just that when it's in the marketing it's cynical", and yet nobody ever can point to an actual example of the film's marketing that sells the movie on diversity or how progressive it is.

That section of the Plinkett TFA review was absolute gibberish. "Diversity is good, but we don't actually need it, so it's bad, but it's good, but I didn't like it". And "Look at this black kid happily playing with a white action figure" takes the cake for the title of Most White Guy Thing ever said in a RLM video.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't agree with their diversity poo poo either. Even forced white guy marketed diversity is still good because.....the cast is now diverse.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What's forced about it?

I dunno, ask them, it's their bullshit argument

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I don't agree with their diversity poo poo either. Even forced white guy marketed diversity is still good because.....the cast is now diverse.
That’s exactly what RLM was saying, though. At no point did they say or even imply that diversity was a bad thing, or that they didn't like it. In fact, here’s a direct quote from the video:

Redlettermedia posted:

It’s now a more diverse onscreen world we live in, and that’s a fine thing! But, do you remember when morons on the internet attempted to boycott Star Wars because of the two main leads? [shows headlines talking about racist trolls] What was the loving point of that?
I’ll admit that that whole section of the review was confusingly-worded and even I’m not 100% sure what they’re complaining about, but it’s not diversity itself. My guess is that they were saying that diversity isn't something people should fixate on because it doesn't make a movie good on its own, and the lack of it doesn't automatically make a movie (specifically the OT) bad.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 21, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I agree with their point for the most part, especially as it relates to Ghostbusters where "look at how loving feminist we are" was an actual part of the marketing, but the thing about kids not caring is the part where it gets iffy to me. It's probably true that kids don't actually care and would watch the movie anyway, but that doesn't mean it isn't hugely important for them to accept diversity as a natural thing and not something that'a out of the norm.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bakeneko posted:

That’s exactly what RLM was saying, though. At no point did they say or even imply that diversity was a bad thing, or that they didn't like it. In fact, here’s a direct quote from the video:

I’ll admit that that whole section of the review was confusingly-worded and even I’m not 100% sure what they’re complaining about, but it’s not diversity itself. My guess is that they were saying that diversity isn't something people should fixate on because it doesn't make a movie good on its own, and the lack of it doesn't automatically make a movie (specifically the OT) bad.

It certainly makes it better than the exact same movie with a primarily white cast.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry that might be vaugly worded.

Even if the movie is bad, it is doing far more social good as a media product when it taking steps to normalize non-white or non-male protagonists. Especially in mass market trash reboot crap like star wars or ghostbusters or whatever.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Honestly I feel like I seldom see stuff actually marketed as diverse. It's just the alt-right and that ilk who get mad that there's BLACK PEOPLE in their films hence forced diversity apparently. I know I heard that about the Magnificent Seven remake, which, for what it's worth, was diversity done extremely well imo. Also if you feel like checking out Reddit (don't do this) people are melting down because of BLACK PEOPLE BEING IN WORLD WAR ONE IN THE NEW BATTLEFIELD. THE HORROR OF IT ALL AND MUH HISTORICAL REALISM :reddit: :qq: :reddit:. poo poo, I'm sure people are throwing a fit because of the Rocky Horror TV remake having a black trans actress as Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

I mean when you force diversity you can end up with tokenism or it seeming like pandering but honestly as of late I haven't really felt like that with much of anything I've seen/read/played. To a degree media is getting better about being inclusive and there's a long, long way to go but it's not this big evil that a lot of right wing folks seem to think.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That line of thinking is their whole argument, though, at least the way I see it. The whole hubbub surrounding Ghostbusters was that many people thought it looked like poopy garbage but then Paul Feig and crew came out and said it was only because of misogynism or whatever and it became a whole thing which they demonstrated in that review. I certainly don't think it's worth getting in a tiff over personally, but they probably get a lot of heat for that kind of thing being internet makers of #content which I suppose is why they focus on it. The whole time they have said that diversity in itself is a Good Thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tracula posted:

Honestly I feel like I seldom see stuff actually marketed as diverse. It's just the alt-right and that ilk who get mad that there's BLACK PEOPLE in their films hence forced diversity apparently. I know I heard that about the Magnificent Seven remake, which, for what it's worth, was diversity done extremely well imo. Also if you feel like checking out Reddit (don't do this) people are melting down because of BLACK PEOPLE BEING IN WORLD WAR ONE IN THE NEW BATTLEFIELD. THE HORROR OF IT ALL AND MUH HISTORICAL REALISM :reddit: :qq: :reddit:. poo poo, I'm sure people are throwing a fit because of the Rocky Horror TV remake having a black trans actress as Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

I mean when you force diversity you can end up with tokenism or it seeming like pandering but honestly as of late I haven't really felt like that with much of anything I've seen/read/played. To a degree media is getting better about being inclusive and there's a long, long way to go but it's not this big evil that a lot of right wing folks seem to think.

If you want to see that in action on SA, check out the first four pages of the Red Dead Redemption 2 thread. Even suggesting that a playable woman be a thing got several responses from the "forced pc culture" brigade. It was really embarrassing. Luckily the trailer cut that poo poo down.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
While I sorta agree the diversity thing in Force Awakens felt a bit calculated (:laffo: at pretending Phasma was an actual character in this movie), one thing I though was cool about it is that it avoided the gross simplification of non-white = black that happens a lot when people half-rear end this kind of discourse.

Also it's kind of funny how in tyool 2016 Finn is considered a triumph of diversity/fall of white man's civilization, when his actual role in the movie is 100% the occasionally-useful occasionally-comic relief buddy cop sidekick.

Tracula posted:

Also if you feel like checking out Reddit (don't do this) people are melting down because of BLACK PEOPLE BEING IN WORLD WAR ONE IN THE NEW BATTLEFIELD. THE HORROR OF IT ALL AND MUH HISTORICAL REALISM :reddit: :qq: :reddit:.

Admittedly, I'm really out of the loop with the battlefield hype, but wasn't :dice: actively trolling/baiting by choosing Germans of all featured armies to introduce the black guys?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DStecks posted:

That section of the Plinkett TFA review was absolute gibberish. "Diversity is good, but we don't actually need it, so it's bad, but it's good, but I didn't like it". And "Look at this black kid happily playing with a white action figure" takes the cake for the title of Most White Guy Thing ever said in a RLM video.

The bizarre argument over Sam Jackson (that he was cast just to appeal to ~urban~ audiences) was the weakest part of the prequel reviews too.

Lichtenstein posted:

Admittedly, I'm really out of the loop with the battlefield hype, but wasn't :dice: actively trolling/baiting by choosing Germans of all featured armies to introduce the black guys?

Maybe a lot Gravity's Rainbow fans work there

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lichtenstein posted:

While I sorta agree the diversity thing in Force Awakens felt a bit calculated (:laffo: at pretending Phasma was an actual character in this movie), one thing I though was cool about it is that it avoided the gross simplification of non-white = black that happens a lot when people half-rear end this kind of discourse.

Phasma should have thrown murderballs around, to go farther with her Phantasm-reference name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxPIW5RrsY

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

EYE MADDED VODEOH BOUT HOL MOTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYck3avMMDs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kyle. Please. Kyle. You're scaring me Kyle.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Kyle. Please. Kyle. You're scaring me Kyle.

I'm just very excited about this video, that's all.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

KKall posted:

It was a very good video. You are what CD pretends to be. Someone who loves cinema and the art itself and the history of it and what surrounds it.

It's just like I said some time ago: watching your videos makes me feel like an illiterate, uncultured, mouth breathing moron.

(But in as good of a way as possible if that makes any sense.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

If you want to see that in action on SA, check out the first four pages of the Red Dead Redemption 2 thread. Even suggesting that a playable woman be a thing got several responses from the "forced pc culture" brigade. It was really embarrassing. Luckily the trailer cut that poo poo down.
That's funny because you know there is actual historical basis for female gunslingers; plus one of the best characters in RDR was a woman which is amazing because Rockstar is usually really really bad at women characters

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KKall posted:

Really cool. In fact I kind of hate myself for NOT stopping the video and watching the video. It does make me think of a few things.

1: Physical film over Digital and CGI: Tarantino for example says he really prefers to use 35MM film over a digital camera because to him it just feels better. In fact Hateful 8 had a old timey road show to show the movie on film when it debuted.Do you think how a film is physically shot or edited (in terms of format, not pacing, camera angles and shots and the like) matters as far as the end result is concerned? If that makes sense.

2: Your bit about Youtube videos made me realize something. Show of hands, how many people have seen at least five videos or 5 podcasts about Foodfight but never seen the actual movie start to finish? I think there is a growing trend of people who will watch or read about a movie without never seeing the movie itself.

Captain Rufus posted:

It was a very good video. You are what CD pretends to be. Someone who loves cinema and the art itself and the history of it and what surrounds it.

It's just like I said some time ago: watching your videos makes me feel like an illiterate, uncultured, mouth breathing moron.

(But in as good of a way as possible if that makes any sense.)

That reminds me, i have a bunch of Criterion Films stuff I bought but havent watched yet. 2 Del Toro movies, Seven Samari, Most of the BBS Box Set. (Seen Easy Rider and King of Marvin Gardens.)

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

BigRed0427 posted:

2: Your bit about Youtube videos made me realize something. Show of hands, how many people have seen at least five videos or 5 podcasts about Foodfight but never seen the actual movie start to finish? I think there is a growing trend of people who will watch or read about a movie without never seeing the movie itself.

It frankly surprises me that there are people who will only watch videos/read reviews about things they've already seen. Looking at the back catalogue of We Hate Movies, for instance, I think I'd only seen one film they reviewed before I listened to the review. Usually it helps if I've heard *of* the thing, but often if I haven't and there's a good enough explanation/the premise sounds bizarre enough, I think "oh well I should watch/listen to that."
I mean I review things people have heard of but I've also read/reviewed a lot of things I would be pretty surprised if people had watched. I suppose I think of videos/podcasts as entertainment in their own right, not necessarily as "supplementary reading material on this week's text."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tracula posted:

poo poo, I'm sure people are throwing a fit because of the Rocky Horror TV remake having a black trans actress as Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

I'm only throwing a fit that we don't have the power to repair and revitalize Tim Curry for another thousand years, that's gonna be a celebrity death I honestly cry over.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I'm only throwing a fit that we don't have the power to repair and revitalize Tim Curry for another thousand years, that's gonna be a celebrity death I honestly cry over.
He was the narrator and from the trailer he looked in pretty rough shape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcdg65-O7ns
Oh god :cry:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

He had a stroke and has looked real bad ever since.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

He had a stroke and has looked real bad ever since.
Yeah its really depressing since he was such a lively and expressive actor

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

I hope this gets more people to watch that movie, especially ones who wouldn't otherwise. I thought the video did a good job of explaining while not completely spoiling it.

BigRed0427 posted:

I've seen Foodfight at least twice, but I don't blame people for going to an option that's easier on the eyes. What does bother me is when people do it for films that are worth watching in full.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hakkesshu posted:

That line of thinking is their whole argument, though, at least the way I see it. The whole hubbub surrounding Ghostbusters was that many people thought it looked like poopy garbage but then Paul Feig and crew came out and said it was only because of misogynism or whatever and it became a whole thing which they demonstrated in that review. I certainly don't think it's worth getting in a tiff over personally, but they probably get a lot of heat for that kind of thing being internet makers of #content which I suppose is why they focus on it. The whole time they have said that diversity in itself is a Good Thing.

Milo was a plant

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

New Old Man Reads Creepypasta up on Phelan's Patreon. It's a Sonic thing. Shocker.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's part two of two on my series retrospective on Saw, covering Saw IV, V, VI and VII. Really inconsistent quality for a series with the exact same formula for each film.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Dear Infamous Sphere, please watch Season 3 Episode 4 "San Junipero" of Black Mirror immediately.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

BigRed0427 posted:

I heard the WHM podcast on that movie and it sounded like a bad film. So I didn't pay money to watch the film. So I failed? :shrug:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

poparena posted:

Here's part two of two on my series retrospective on Saw, covering Saw IV, V, VI and VII. Really inconsistent quality for a series with the exact same formula for each film.

Blocked in Canada for copyright. RIP

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

Blocked in Canada for copyright. RIP

Yeah, it sucks. Does anybody know if disputing this work? Normally I would, but I'm not sure if I can really cite American fair use laws for a video that is exclusively blocked in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Canada so it's blocked for me as well. Anyone here remember Welshy's Saw retrospective from a few years back before he left? Those were really good and gave a neat perspective on a convoluted horror franchise.

• Locked thread