Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So with the new DLC factions being separate from the main factions, can you actually get real same race coop games now without using a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

So I really like the DLC but there's just one thing that really kinda chaps my rear end. The new factions start you out west where you don't typically see much action as Dwarfs and Greenskins, but then the entire objective of both campaigns is to just go back to the badlands...

It's kind of a big gently caress you like "Hey are you enjoying these new starting positions? Okay, great, we're going to start you out with penalties that annoy the poo poo out of you until you go back to the badlands and just do what you would in a normal campaign."

I was thinking this too tbh. I really don't care to retake Eight Peaks as Skarsnik, I just want to gently caress around and turn the Grey Mountains into one giant Moria. Fortunately as Skarsnik it's pretty ignorable as you can just pretend you're playing a Goblin faction. Other than that the DLC is awesome and roleplaying as Skarsnik makes for great fun. Karl Franz showed up near Grimhold and I trapped him in the canyon. The Empire sued for peace, I took their 2k gold and then murdered him anyway :getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Took Eight Peaks, then two turns later Grimgor had lost Black Crag and Iron Rock. From 4th strength to 22nd in a heartbeat :eyepop:

Now I'm fighting high end dwarves with Night goblin hordes backed with trolls and squigs aplenty, pounding dwarves field armies with artillery while the squigs and mercenaries obliterate the enemy batteries behind their lines.

Dwarves are tough motherfuckers teched up.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Krimzon Killers do not mess around. Holy poo poo those guys backed up by skulkers took on three black orc units at once during the siege of Karak Eight Peaks.

Early Greenskin campaign was finally fun instead of a rush to murder dwarfs.

I just tried them out, I don't why CA did it but they're literally worse black orcs. I can see that they'd still have some value in campaign, because they're rank 9 and it takes a long time to level a unit up that far. They just seem like a weirdly lame ROR though.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Really enjoying this new DLC, the new factions/start positions are a good new challenge.

Playing Skarsnik has brought up an old question for me though, which is how to use goblin wolf riders. As melee cav I can never seem to leverage them the same way I do other factions', and the archers just lack punch.

How do y'all use them effectively?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The Krimson Killers have really high damage output and you can mix them in with a unit of Goblins and have the armour sundering let them do extra damage. I put half a dozen cannon rounds into the KK and they still chewed through a unit of Greatswords and a bunch of Spearmen before going down, and that was them alone. They are really annoying to fight against as Chaos since they pretty much guarantee that one of your best infantry units is going to dissipate into a red mist. They are Chosen Orcs which sucks for Chaos because Greenskins get all the cool support chaff to go along with them.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Mukip posted:

The Krimson Killers have really high damage output and you can mix them in with a unit of Goblins and have the armour sundering let them do extra damage. I put half a dozen cannon rounds into the KK and they still chewed through a unit of Greatswords and a bunch of Spearmen before going down, and that was them alone. They are really annoying to fight against as Chaos since they pretty much guarantee that one of your best infantry units is going to dissipate into a red mist. They are Chosen Orcs which sucks for Chaos because Greenskins get all the cool support chaff to go along with them.

Right, but level 9 black orcs would be even harder bastards. Try it out in custom battle, they lose to normal black orcs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Their role is to absolutely devastate blobs of anything not elite. They do AOE damage so the more units you attack them with at once the more damage they do, using them to block or assault a gate in a siege battle is going to lead to a horrific slaughter for the other guy. If you can give them magic damage somehow they can also probably do a huge amount of damage to vampire etheral blobs.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ-CXlbQ5Ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIIZPreEvwc

Vs ZearothK and Beans respectively.

Can't really talk here, playing civ.

4-0 in my favour vs. Zearoth, 3-1 my favour vs. Beans

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anything been said about when the Skaven will come?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Uh, are fanatics supposed to do nothing to cavalry?

This has to be a bug, right?

I tried to hit a seperate group of pistoliers with fanatics from another night goblin unit, 0 damage or even reaction from the pistoliers.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CommissarMega posted:

Has anything been said about when the Skaven will come?

Nothing. The general consensus is it will be in a major expansion, because they're popular and would require a bunch of new mechanics, but that's just speculation.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Nothing. The general consensus is it will be in a major expansion, because they're popular and would require a bunch of new mechanics, but that's just speculation.

Doubtful. Russian leak that's still being followed somewhat says next is Wood Elves/Bretonnia by December, followed by Skaven or Tomb Kings ( probably Skaven first since it's far more popular. ).

First expansion is New World with High Elves/Dark Elves/Lizardmen. They'll want Skaven out at the same time/before that because Skaven are an integral enemy for the Lizardmen.

Personal guess would be as mentioned Wood Elves/Bretonnia in early December to get people excited with a double race DLC around the same time as Christmas/Christmas sales. By Feb/March we see Tomb Kings. By April/May we see Skaven, and CA start talking fully about the first expansion. We then see that hit by June/July/Augustish.

Alternate option is they hold Skaven until the very end as the big sendoff to the game, which ahhhhh please don't do that CA.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the Skaven DLC was listed as being for the first expansion, which will be North American Elves + Lizards.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Best thing about Bloody Handz- higher tier savage orcs are easy to recruit. And hilariously effective.

Also the Crooked Moon / Ghost dwarf starts are pretty challenging. it really is a rush to get to 8 peaks so you get dick punched by the garrison

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Best thing about Bloody Handz- higher tier savage orcs are easy to recruit. And hilariously effective.

Also the Crooked Moon / Ghost dwarf starts are pretty challenging. it really is a rush to get to 8 peaks so you get dick punched by the garrison

Skarsnik is most definitely not a challenging start. Pick on the human settlements/secessionists and you'll get a Waagh going soon enough. Your Waaagh will have a second spider and a giant. With two spiders and a giant that early in the game, nothing can really stop you.

Then just form the great goblin horde of the West, pick off Ironhammer before he even has a chance to think about Eight Peaks, then swing south and start confederating the Orc tribes.

The Dwarf start is super challenging though, since you don't really have any options for expansion, and your upkeep penalty means building an army large enough to actually take Eight Peaks is a challenge.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Carcer posted:

Their role is to absolutely devastate blobs of anything not elite. They do AOE damage so the more units you attack them with at once the more damage they do, using them to block or assault a gate in a siege battle is going to lead to a horrific slaughter for the other guy. If you can give them magic damage somehow they can also probably do a huge amount of damage to vampire etheral blobs.

Yeah I had a battle that was me with 4 units of regular black orcs and the krimson killers against a huge amount of gors/ungors/bestigors and at the end the krimson killers had about 4x as many kills as the regular black orcs.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The ghost dads cause terror so I use the thanes to rear charge orcs where possible and it kind of works.

Also Brettonian factions allying with the crooked moon to attack you loving sucks and seems to happen more often than you'd think appropriate. inot one game it generated a grudge that wanted me to kill 3 brettonian armies that I couldn't find time to clear that together with the 8 peaks grudge tanked my public order over time

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Arch Warhammer mentioned it, and I am curious to try it but the Nasty Skulkers could be a good way to defuse a flank charge with the smoke bomb. Particularly as you could then use something like squig or wolf riders to surround said cavalry

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

terrorist ambulance posted:

Also Brettonian factions allying with the crooked moon to attack you loving sucks and seems to happen more often than you'd think appropriate. inot one game it generated a grudge that wanted me to kill 3 brettonian armies that I couldn't find time to clear that together with the 8 peaks grudge tanked my public order over time

See, I love this kind of stuff because the campaign can get stale if it's always good guys vs bad guys.

Also I haven't played in a while but I am loving this DLC. It just shakes up the grand campaign in a lot of really fun ways. I'm drooling at the thought of this game 3 years from now with skaven, elves, lizardmen, tomb kings, etc etc etc. The grand campaign is just going to be mass chaos every time you play it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dandywalken posted:

Only prob is that they're only for Skarsnik's army :( But its one Hell of an army, for what its worth.

The new Goblin melee non-legendary lords get the level 4 all army poison upgrade and Skarsnik's red line too (I've got it for my secondary army in my Wurrzak game, poisoned savage orcs with +25 charge backed by hellbuffed goblin cavalry Do Not gently caress Around). The lord itself is actually about half the price/upkeep as a regular greenskin commander too. The only problem is that they have the combat stats of any other race's dedicated caster lord so you can't really commit them to getting in a scrap like you can most commanders. Squig mount alleviates this some, giving them 55 armor and beefy charge bonus, but you don't unlock that until level 12.

My one complaint with the new goblin lords is that there's basically less of reason to take the non-fanatic version of melee night goblins compared to before. In a Night Goblin Big Boss' army, your basic tier 1 goblins will have the same poison attack that night goblins have. Add to that the NGs having 10 less leadership makes taking them a hard pill to swallow, even when you count in their infiltrate/stalk, which also comes standard on sneaky stabbers. I loving love the new units, mind you. Sneaky stabbers and squigs/hoppers go a long way to giving greenskins some actual lower/mid tier armor piercing/anti infantry to break dwarf armor and not make fighting them an unending nightmare chore before black orcs.

In other news, Wurrzak with a savage orc army is really quite fun. The best way to describe his start is basically Green Volkmar except savage orcs are better in almost every way compared to flagellants. Savage orcs in his army have a flat 35% damage reduction which really helps soften the blow of having 0 armor. In my army, I keep 2 units of goblin spears who march in front and act as arrow magnets to keep the boys from getting shot up as much, but once they get stuck in a fight what happens is absolutely magical, even against dwarves. In my secondary armies I don't go near as savage orc heavy. I've got a Night Goblin Big Boss army that uses like 4 savage orcs and 3ish savage boy boyz (mostly because of that army +poison effect) but the rest of his core army is goblins, including the RoR goblin units.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

This really is the best total war. DLC has all been amazing so far and it's just hella fun to play.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gammymajams posted:

I just tried them out, I don't why CA did it but they're literally worse black orcs. I can see that they'd still have some value in campaign, because they're rank 9 and it takes a long time to level a unit up that far. They just seem like a weirdly lame ROR though.

They have Area Effect attack, they don't take 3 turns to recruit, don't require the t4 muster grounds, and they have better leadership/attack/defense. Keep them away from hammerers and other black orcs and they will wreck basically anything else.

Edit: I mean, basically all the other greenskin RoRs are really, really good (hi armor piercing wolf archers), I'll forgive the black orc one for being substandard when it doesn't require 3 turns and tier 4 to recruit.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 21, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also I haven't played in a while but I am loving this DLC. It just shakes up the grand campaign in a lot of really fun ways. I'm drooling at the thought of this game 3 years from now with skaven, elves, lizardmen, tomb kings, etc etc etc. The grand campaign is just going to be mass chaos every time you play it.

yeah I was thinking about that last night too, this game is going to be nuts when you're on the brink of being annihilated right at the beginning, and it's going to be especially cool since all the armies are so different. It's one thing to have a formula that works for surviving against one type of enemy that you face a lot of early, but if there are multiple races with wildly different army types that can gently caress you up in different ways, it's going to make things a lot more interesting.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't forget that they'll also re-introduce Naval Combat into that mess as well!

Can't wait for literal sea monsters battling with ironclads and warpstonepowered submarines!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 21, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gejnor posted:

Don't forget that they'll also re-introduce Naval Combat into that mess as well!

Can't wait for literal sea monsters battling with ironclads and warpstonepowered submarines! autoresolving all naval battles and never regretting it.

For content: Is it just me or does Wurrzag not seem terribly different from a generic greenskin game? Your primary army is super cheap if you composed it of all/mostly savage orcs like they intend, but that only applies to Wurrzag's personal army and his economy is also somehow weaker than generic greenskins due to the settlement chains being downright worse than the greenskin ones. +Savage orc replenishment rate is not a terribly great replacement for the income dip he eats and the +leadership vs greenskins does him basically 0 good once you've conquered the badlands and start pushing out vs dwarves/humans/vc. I feel like it should be set up to where once you confederate greenskins or conquer the greenskin capital, you should flip to greenskin settlement chains and just maintain the ability to build savage orc huts whereever, maybe keep the primary garrisons as mostly Savage Orcs for flavor.

Edit: Wurrzag's starting political situation is similar too - go thump your neighboring orc tribes to get them in line then go fight stunties. Skarsnik at least starts all the way across the world from his main objective and can choose to zog off and raid humans/bret or bee-line for home.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 21, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Mordja posted:

I think the Skaven DLC was listed as being for the first expansion, which will be North American Elves + Lizards.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/179907/the-data-mined-dlc-faction-list-analysed/p1

Is a good link to it. But the problem with trying to draw conclusions is that these could have been put in as placeholders or a plan but it's easy to see that things have changed.

dlc03 - beastmen
dlc05 - wef + bret (wood elves)
wh_dlc08_tmb_tomb_kings
wh_dlc10_ska_skaven
wh_dlc13_chd_chaos_dwarfs
wh_dlc15_ogr_ogre_kingdoms

Then you get to the expansions.

wh_exp1_def_dark_elves
wh_exp1_hef_high_elves
wh_exp1_lzd_lizardmen

I'm no fluff expert, but I think that Wood Elves/Bret/Tomb Kings makes sense as coming all roughly at around the same time. Skaven can come any time and Chaos Dwarves + Ogres being on the other side of the map makes sense too, so there's a lot of logic to those lists, imo.

Mostly it's just really surprising that a race as standard as High Elves won't be in-game for 1-2 years.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
From reddit here's a table breaking colossal squig.

http://i.imgur.com/wGlDHOI.jpg

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Has anyone elses alt-tab behavior changed with the patch? I have to alt+tab or win+d like three times before it'll bring up the taskbar or tab to the desktop. Acted normally before this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regular night goblins have a place in a sneaky goblin army. Since NG war bosses can get vanguard deployment, you can play certain goblin armies like vlad von carstein and vanguard deploy right in the enemy's face.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Mukip posted:

Ideally this is where Lore of Metal would come in, allowing Chaos to punish their enemy for bringing expensive heavily-armored units with Gehenna's Golden Hounds, Plague of Rust or Final Transmutation. Unfortunately...

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Have they added new music? I swear im hearing some sort of new tinkly (think pulling strings basically) version of the dwarf battle music to the campaign map!

When playing Belegar is what i mean then atleast.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gejnor posted:

Have they added new music? I swear im hearing some sort of new tinkly (think pulling strings basically) version of the dwarf battle music to the campaign map!

When playing Belegar is what i mean then atleast.

I'm pretty sure they've added new greenskin music too - I had some distinctive-sounding pre-battle music in one battle as Skarsnik.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I still think Skaven won't come until the first expansion, they're the only old world race the Lizardmen tangle with on their home turf regularly. If dark elves fight high elves in the expansion, then going by the 4-race structure of the base game (ignoring preorder Chaos) the Skaven ought to be the main adversaries in Lustria.

Unless they add Daemons of Chaos in which case they might as well entitle the expansion 'lol gently caress u dark elves'

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vlex posted:

I still think Skaven won't come until the first expansion, they're the only old world race the Lizardmen tangle with on their home turf regularly. If dark elves fight high elves in the expansion, then going by the 4-race structure of the base game (ignoring preorder Chaos) the Skaven ought to be the main adversaries in Lustria.

Unless they add Daemons of Chaos in which case they might as well entitle the expansion 'lol gently caress u dark elves'

The next expansion should definately be Dark Elves, High Elves, Lizardmen and Skaven

Dark Elves and High Elves have that hate boner for eachother, but the Dark Elves also sometimes wage war with the Lizardmen.

The Skaven are in constant warfare with the Lizardmen and, i think i learned from here, are the only faction that the Dark Elves bother to honor their agreements with since they respect just how backstabby they are. Lots of interplay actions here with DE's potentially allying up with Skaven in Lustria, Lizardmen could potentially have a very hard fight on their hands.

With this comes the naval stuff since theres also A LOT of naval stuff happening between Dark Elves and High Elves who are constantly fighting a big 'ol battle for sea dominance. Theres also a Vampire Pirate faction in the Lustria area to spice things up.

The Skaven are also of course present heavily in the old world so they'd be a force to be reckoned with, and something for Tilea and Estalia to fight since Skavenblight is literally inbetween their nations.. and is actually shown on the gamemap already.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Precisely, plus beastmen and Orcs are also in the new world in low numbers for extra fun.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Gotta wonder how they'll handle monetizing the Skaven. They could be part of the Lustria expansion or be a DLC or both, but I think the former would make a lot of people really mad. Guess we'll have to see. I for one am just curious to see where they're gonna go in the near future.

vvv this is an excellent guess actually. it also depends on if/how they decide to split up the maps

brocretin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 21, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The skaven in lustria are by and large plague monks and their minions, most other skaven can't handle to incredibly deadly tropical diseases that abound in lustria.

What would make sense for me is that they first do the skaven in the old world as dlc for this game and then in a later King and the Warlord style dlc they add the skaven in lustria when that expansion gets released.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
When it's the skaven's turn I wonder if we'll get that giant rat amalgamation as a toptier monster unit. Would probably be hell to animate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

peer posted:

When it's the skaven's turn I wonder if we'll get that giant rat amalgamation as a toptier monster unit. Would probably be hell to animate.

This is supposedly the reason why we don't have a Jabberslythe.

• Locked thread