Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

You mean the poster? He's a mod now, unless something happened recently. He changed his name to X-O

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

did he die or something? poo poo, what am I missing here???

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ashikan judan posted:

The rear end scene is good because it's a quintessential example of Superman helping, not because he's powerful, but because of who and what he is.

The Deadpool scene is good because the writer recognized that couldn't possibly work for Deadpool, and found a way that he could help anyway, and in a way that is both real and not often seen in cape comics.

They're both good scenes.

Yeah. And what Deadpool does isn't even too different from what Superman does; he shows her that someone does care. He just does it in a Deadpool way (i.e., distracting her by letting her tag along on his amoral adventures while he lines up the help she really needs). As someone who's lived with anxiety and depression, I was touched by this issue.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Gerry Duggan is cool and good and was a definite highlight on Nerd Poker when he was on it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

did he die or something? poo poo, what am I missing here???

Literal Deadpool the poster literally posted a literal Deadpool comic.

Figuratively

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RIP SA poster/mod Deadpool

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like X-O, and in turn I'm pretty sure I'm their favorite poster.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 14, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
All this talk, and nobody mentioning the other Superman jumper story, where he sits and waits because the jumper doesn't want to talk, and he promises not to grab her of the ledge. And when she does talk, he agrees with her that life is hard, not fair. And tells her if she really, truly feels like there's no possibility of any more good days in her life, that everything is permanently and unfixably downhill in her life, then he won't stop her from stepping off the ledge. It's incredibly powerful and honest, and I've actively and shamelessly stolen from it several times with troubled friends of my own. The only help Supes can be in that situation is to be there to listen. Much like the Deadpool situation, the most he can do is help the person find help, not actually stop her. And that's the most most of us can do as well.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who has seen a variety of mental health professionals for depression it is terrifying how Superman comics manage to come across as more truthful, inspirational, and comforting than well-educated experts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

All this talk, and nobody mentioning the other Superman jumper story, where he sits and waits because the jumper doesn't want to talk, and he promises not to grab her of the ledge. And when she does talk, he agrees with her that life is hard, not fair. And tells her if she really, truly feels like there's no possibility of any more good days in her life, that everything is permanently and unfixably downhill in her life, then he won't stop her from stepping off the ledge. It's incredibly powerful and honest, and I've actively and shamelessly stolen from it several times with troubled friends of my own. The only help Supes can be in that situation is to be there to listen. Much like the Deadpool situation, the most he can do is help the person find help, not actually stop her. And that's the most most of us can do as well.

I really hated this since it just seemed like it took three pages to do what Morrison did in one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I like X-O, and in turn I'm pretty sure I'm their favorite poster.

what

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I was joking.

Endless Mike posted:

I really hated this since it just seemed like it took three pages to do what Morrison did in one.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

It appears our budding young misanthrope has learned irony.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They're different beasts attempting to accomplish different things.

Morrison's page is a character moment that even as he's dying and getting his affairs in order he still has the time, energy, and good nature to help out some random girl. These other pages were a refutation of Superman's common reputation as a hokey, rigid, unrealistic optimist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

[/quote]

Yeah that too

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Choco1980 posted:

Dick move to make her step off the ledge either way, Clark

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mind the walrus posted:

They're different beasts attempting to accomplish different things.

Morrison's page is a character moment that even as he's dying and getting his affairs in order he still has the time, energy, and good nature to help out some random girl. These other pages were a refutation of Superman's common reputation as a hokey, rigid, unrealistic optimist.

Agreed. And as someone who has needed talking away from self harm, I'd say the longer passage does far more with its words. Yes, Morrison's is more economical, but it's not really the same message. There's a big difference between "don't jump, there really are people who care" and "I can't really stop you from jumping if that's what you really want, but I hope you don't. Even if I can't do anything for you, I'll listen anyways." I know which I prefer to hear. Also, one puts in a stereotypical moody goth teenager, and one puts in a just normal lady. I know which is more realistic there too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'd like to mention Regan was getting help - Superman specifically mentions her psychiatrist got held up due to a traffic accident (and IIRC it was overhearing his conversation where he told her to hang on and wait for him that let Supes know someone was feeling suicidal). Him hugging her was never meant to show he could solve all her problems with a brief pep talk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Him hugging her was never meant to show he could solve all her problems with a brief pep talk.
Literally no one was saying this.

Choco1980 posted:

Agreed. And as someone who has needed talking away from self harm, I'd say the longer passage does far more with its words. Yes, Morrison's is more economical, but it's not really the same message. There's a big difference between "don't jump, there really are people who care" and "I can't really stop you from jumping if that's what you really want, but I hope you don't. Even if I can't do anything for you, I'll listen anyways." I know which I prefer to hear. Also, one puts in a stereotypical moody goth teenager, and one puts in a just normal lady. I know which is more realistic there too.
Like I said, each scene serves a different narrative purpose and does each very well. Morrison's ultimately serves Superman's story even if it is a wonderful moment on its own. The fact that Reagon is a stereotype goth girl doesn't matter to me. The second page is an examination of an actual suicide situation and much more in line with what actual psych patients would go through.

In both cases there isn't a pep talk nor a promise to solve all of their problems. In both cases Superman provides what many suicidal people crave most-- a sense of support. Both are wonderful and I feel very glad to live in a world where we can debate the merits of each.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Counterpoint: it's part of Grounded so it's automatically bad :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was bad and it had nothing to do with being part of Grounded.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm glad i saw that it was from Grounded before I read it otherwise Superman's crazed rambling about how he wishes Castro was dead would have confused me deeply.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm glad i saw that it was from Grounded before I read it otherwise Superman's crazed rambling about how he wishes Castro was dead would have confused me deeply.

My favourite thing is that he lists three horrible people on who should still be alive, including a pedophile.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And what's so bad about Marilyn Manson?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He refused to cooperate like a good scapegoat when people were looking to blame something for Columbine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

He refused to cooperate like a good scapegoat when people were looking to blame something for Columbine.

Well, and his habit of sexually assaulting people, as well as being abusive to spouses and bandmates.

(I agree with you about the Columbine thing, FWIW)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It was bad and it had nothing to do with being part of Grounded.

How can that be part of Grounded? he clearly flies in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

How can that be part of Grounded? he clearly flies in it.

The ground is like, just your perspective man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
His thing was that he would walk the whole way across the continent, not that he wouldn't fly to do other things in between. Grounded was bad, but let's not pretend like JMS said "NO FLYING EVER!".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

His thing was that he would walk the whole way across the continent, not that he wouldn't fly to do other things in between. Grounded was bad, but let's not pretend like JMS said "NO FLYING EVER!".

The only way I would know that is if I read it, and I'm certainly not going to do that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I read the first issue where some lady blames Superman for not saving her husband when he had a heart attack, and Superman being so heartbroken as though such an event or criticism had never been lobbed at him before. I immediately stopped reading.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite part of grounded is where Superman goes to Philadelphia and sets fire to the houses of low-income black people because they had drugs.

From the same issue as that "talking the woman off the ledge" one in fact.

Also they're like the only black people in the story despite being in loving Philadelphia.

I hate Grounded so much.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And then Superman lectures the people of Phili for letting drug dealers get established in the city. And it was up to the people to drive them out of the city into the next city as opposed to waiting for Superheroes to save them.

As for what the other cities are supposed to do once the drug dealers go there...Well that's just their problem.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Question IRL posted:

And then Superman lectures the people of Phili for letting drug dealers get established in the city. And it was up to the people to drive them out of the city into the next city as opposed to waiting for Superheroes to save them.

As for what the other cities are supposed to do once the drug dealers go there...Well that's just their problem.

I miss the days when Superman would demolish run-down areas and then build better homes in the same area for the same people to live in at Super-Speed, and tell bankers/etc. to gently caress off if they didn't like it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite part of grounded is where Superman goes to Philadelphia and sets fire to the houses of low-income black people because they had drugs.

From the same issue as that "talking the woman off the ledge" one in fact.

Also they're like the only black people in the story despite being in loving Philadelphia.

I hate Grounded so much.

Remember when Superman seriously considered reporting some (literal) alien refugees, despite the fact that they hadn't hurt anyone and we're completely self sufficient! All because they weren't "giving back to their community."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Remember when Superman seriously considered reporting some (literal) alien refugees, despite the fact that they hadn't hurt anyone and we're completely self sufficient! All because they weren't "giving back to their community."

I hate Grounded so goddamn much.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Monaghan posted:

That was the Detroit one. Someone gifed the panel of him spinning a basketball on his finger as he's like "Mind if I dial in?"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
hey shut up about Grounded

Batman Gotham Adventures apparently, don't know the number

Let's argue some more about how Batman is broken as a person instead

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For the Man Who Has Everything was way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I hate Grounded so goddamn much.

There was a fill-in during it (I believe when JMS took his ball and went home) by G Willow Wilson about Lois going back to her home town that was pretty good.