Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have a game going as Hojo right now. Inspector can't play until later tonight tho so I think I'll start a SP game as Saladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure that most of the already discussed shortcomings will be fixed by future patches but I'm really getting put off by the graphical style they decided to follow. Also the map is messy and confusing even compared to civ3 :(

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
As someone who knew Civ V inside and out and generally played on Immortal, man is it disorienting to not have a clue about what techs/civics do what, what I should be prioritizing, what wonders are important to my given civ/leader, etc. It feels like none of my knowledge from that game has carried over at all.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

DEO3 posted:

As someone who knew Civ V inside and out and generally played on Immortal, man is it disorienting to not have a clue about what techs/civics do what, what I should be prioritizing, what wonders are important to my given civ/leader, etc. It feels like none of my knowledge from that game has carried over at all.

I played Civ 5 on deity and I don't know if I am willing to invest the time and energy into learning all the nuances of Civ 6. At a certain point it becomes less about your decision making abilities and more about cheesing game mechanics.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PirateBob posted:

What do you actually need luxury resources for in this game, with the happiness mechanic apparently removed?

As others have said, happiness hasn't been removed at all, it's just been renamed and returned to a local city mechanic rather than nation-wide.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Klaaz posted:

I'm pretty sure that most of the already discussed shortcomings will be fixed by future patches but I'm really getting put off by the graphical style they decided to follow. Also the map is messy and confusing even compared to civ3 :(

Part of me feels like Blizzard's influence in the gaming industry led to the artistic vision for Civilization VI. Blizzard has proven that cartoony sells, but also there is fear among developers that very few genres of games exist for blizzard to appropriate. A turn based Civilization game is probably one of the very genres left that they haven't touched (lately)

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 21, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Klaaz posted:

I don't mind most of the stylistic stuff, but it really bothers me that it isn't always clear whether a tile has hills on it. That's something I should be able to pick up at a glance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DEO3 posted:

Religion, tourism/cultural victory, combat, and even many of the units have been carried over almost whole cloth.

City management, happiness/amenities, technology, and especially government/civics are very new.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"We must make our games look like a children's cartoon, for if we do not then Blizzard shall do it for us."

- Game Developers trembling in fear

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ok seriously how the gently caress do i make ai leaders stop offering me churros, this is really getting on my nerves

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So in previous installments, war has always been a major pain in the rear end.

I'd go in, exterminate a rival in 3000 BC, and everyone would hate me for it until the end of time. I would move to cripple enemies by taking away strategic resources or luxuries and get warmonger penalties that would never, ever, ever fade.

Does Civilization 6 help make war less of a slog by making it not penalize you for the rest of the game if you decide to be a little more vicious early on?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't mind the AI leader chat if it didn't take 3 seconds to fade out, 3 seconds to fade back in, then 3 seconds for << Goodbye >> to appear.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

khy posted:

I'd go in, exterminate a rival in 3000 BC, and everyone would hate me for it until the end of time. I would move to cripple enemies by taking away strategic resources or luxuries and get warmonger penalties that would never, ever, ever fade.

Does Civilization 6 help make war less of a slog by making it not penalize you for the rest of the game if you decide to be a little more vicious early on?

You don't get warmonger penalties at all if you declare war in the Ancient Era. Though, your civ will incur war weariness (mostly to prevent you from opening a war in Ancient Era then keeping it going indefinitely).

Declaring a surprise war gets you huge warmonger penalties. Denouncing, then after five turns declaring a formal war is about half the penalty for surprise war.

Once you unlock a certain civic policy, you can declare different types of wars that further reduce the penalty if your circumstances meet the criteria: reconquest, liberation, protectorate, holy war. Way late in the game you can also declare wars of colonization on civs that are way far behind you in tech.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Brannock posted:

I wouldn't mind the AI leader chat if it didn't take 3 seconds to fade out, 3 seconds to fade back in, then 3 seconds for << Goodbye >> to appear.

:agreed:

khy posted:

Now the warmonger penalties start at 0 and gradually escalate as you advance ages, and there's a casus belli system where you reduce or remove warmonger penalties if you give a formal war declaration (with advance notice), are attacking to reconquer one your cities that was taken, or other such reasons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

Archers seem to be a fairly solid response to any kind of early warfare.

Although my enemies haven't had many cavalry, presumably that murders them.

I've been playing on Prince and the AI doesn't really expand very quickly - they all seem to have huge armies though.

It does... sort of. A single basic horseman takes about three turns to kill one archer, and it can take an archer up to five or six volleys to take down a horseman, but you want like three or four archers together (even against barbarians! One archer vs barbarians isn't gonna cut it anymore, they leave the encampment and hunt you hard) and the +10 vs land units promotion changes your 15-20 damage per shot to like 40+. But I guess it's like anything else where if you have enough of a unit, then yeah sure, the natural counter is nullified.

As far as I'm concerned, the game's AI is a huge step up. I started near Hojo, we were bros, we fought in the same stone age wars against the same stone age enemies... and then he flipped his huge army around and backstabbed me. He took my capital city, I've never seen an AI do that before. I mean, as soon as my archers got home, I buried him, but god drat. The game seriously understands its own rules.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Roadie posted:

From what I understand: each luxury resource type gives you 1 amenity each to up to (number of copies × 4) cities.

So, if you have diamond ×2, that's 1 amenity each to up to 8 cities. If you only have 4 cities or less, you might as well trade the second diamond to somebody for money or whatever

On the other hand, if you have diamond ×1 and mercury ×1, that's 2 amenities each to up to 4 cities.

tl;dr: you want (cities ÷ 4, round up) copies of each luxury resource

I thought so, but the UI makes it so hard to see what you are getting uses out of.

It's also a pain you cannot upgrade units to less than the max possible. I discovered gunpowder but have no Niter nearby. I have some warriors hanging about and want to upgrade them, but the only option is to upgrade them to Musketmen - which I cannot since I have no Niter. It should let me upgrade to Legions so they;d still be useful, and I could have done that if I'd known I had to before getting Gunpowder :sigh:

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Is there any performance tweaks? It's taking 30-60 seconds every turn. This is crap.

I've got a decent rig that's pulling ~84FPS, but ti's barely touching the CPU.

Any ideas?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Here's my lovely meme review of Civ6

bye!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i do not understand amenities and it sucks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kongo you are garbage

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov posted:

Here's my lovely meme review of Civ6

bye!

idgi but I haven't been following the thread. Is this a thread joke?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

idgi but I haven't been following the thread. Is this a thread joke?

if that's the defeat screen, the thread joke is, the ai is good and is stomping human players who think they're gonna walk all over it

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm a bit late to founding a religion. What should I pick between Religious Community (Shrines and temples give +1 housing), Work Ethic (+1% production per follower) and Zen Meditation (+1 Amenity in cities with 2 specialty districts)?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't figure out how to send an envoy

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I think the picture is meant to represent morning and the joke is that more than 2 hours passed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think the picture is meant to represent morning and the joke is that more than 2 hours passed.

Eureka!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I can't figure out how to send an envoy

There are tiny stylized arrows next to the number of envoys you've sent to a city-state. They don't look like they're interactive, they look like they're some kind of border for the numbers. Click the one on the right to increase envoys and the one on the left to decrease the number of planned envoys.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hahaha whoops I just lost 4 hours to this game.

gently caress you Montezuma stop crowding me in you rear end in a top hat, I just wanna build film studios and make monster movies for the Scythians, why you gotta be like this.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

There are tiny stylized arrows next to the number of envoys you've sent to a city-state. They don't look like they're interactive, they look like they're some kind of border for the numbers. Click the one on the right to increase envoys and the one on the left to decrease the number of planned envoys.

Then there's a button way at the bottom right that you have to click to confirm your selection..... some iOS 5 era UX here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Production is at such a premium in the game that I think Industrial Zones are mandatory for every single city. You can switch up the other districts and distribute them however you feel best (have a culture city, science city, etc), but every city really needs that production boost to be even remotely functional.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I declared war on the Russian rear end in a top hat to take one of his settlers he sent towards me and he just keeps on sending them so I can't sign a peace treaty. The drat jerk keeps spamming me with terrible deals that doesn't involve anything worthwhile but at least I found out you can just hit escape to say no and then again right away to skip past the pointless crying about how stupid stupid he is.

Brannock posted:

Production is at such a premium in the game that I think Industrial Zones are mandatory for every single city. You can switch up the other districts and distribute them however you feel best (have a culture city, science city, etc), but every city really needs that production boost to be even remotely functional.
Yeah, it makes the civs with unique industrial districts REALLY good. Production is so goddamn slow.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Deleter posted:

Hahaha whoops I just lost 4 hours to this game.

gently caress you Montezuma stop crowding me in you rear end in a top hat, I just wanna build film studios and make monster movies for the Scythians, why you gotta be like this.

i keep playing it before work and i'm gonna regret this someday

No, seriously, I just took Cairo off of Saladin, but not before he rushed a walls in response to my attack. This is not Civ 5 where if you saw a city throw down a wonder, it behooved you to cruise until it was finished because the dumb AI won't change its production once it commits to something. This is fantastic!

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
What do the first two AI leader conversations mean, where they talk about allowing into your capital city and exchanging gifts or whatever.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Periodiko posted:

What do the first two AI leader conversations mean, where they talk about allowing into your capital city and exchanging gifts or whatever.

I think it means you share eachother's capital location. In case you had 2 scouts meet up in the middle of nowhere for first contact.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Peter is ugly and exceptionally whiny, I miss Catherine.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PirateBob posted:

I'm a bit late to founding a religion. What should I pick between Religious Community (Shrines and temples give +1 housing), Work Ethic (+1% production per follower) and Zen Meditation (+1 Amenity in cities with 2 specialty districts)?

What's a bigger problem in the game, amenities or housing?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Periodiko posted:

Pretty sure that the hospitality conversation is based on who found what. If your scout gets close to their cities then you get a conversation that lets them show you where their capital is. If their scout gets close to your cities then you can tell them where your capital is. If your scout runs into their scout then you can exchange capital locations. Doing so gives you a minor diplomatic boost but also means that they might know where you live, which can get unpleasant if you have the wrong neighbor, while telling them to piss off gives a minor diplomatic penalty but means it'll maybe take longer for them to roll over your borders. The gift (spend delegation) option involves spending 25 gp, which essentially improves the other civ's treasury by 25 gp and gives a the gift-giver a minor diplomatic boost. Basically it's a decent way to make inroads to becoming friends early on, one which works better if you throw them some trade routes/deals and also maybe don't conflict with their agenda.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poil posted:

I'm spending half the time fighting the UI with the horrible delayed unit cycling and how hard it is to see anything when you have a settler or religious unit selected. Not to mention how grayed out every unit becomes when it's not active and WHY THE gently caress ISN'T THERE AN ALERT BUTTON SO MY UNITS WON'T JUST SIT AROUND IGNORING THE BARBS WALK AROUND THEM?!? No notification that a city can bombard either. :argh:

This poo poo and the terrible trade route UI(lack of indicator of what your last trade route was, can't set it to autorefresh) are some absolutely baffling decisions.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Brannock posted:

Everything is so loving slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Aztecs are pretty fun to play as. Never be at peace, always be warring always be getting free workers.