Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Super No Vacancy posted:

isn't half the reason portables are big in japan because people have like 90 minutes train commutes each way

Well if it's 3 hours it would last through both commutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rad Valtar posted:

There's only two things I think seem dumb about the Switch. The name and the fact there is no one that wants to ay multiplayer on a tiny screen with two micro controllers.

Think about how a kid would use it. I remember playing advanced wars passing the GBA around on field trip buses. Hot seat was great. You could get 2-3 kids playing on a school bus pretty easily around a switch. Will any adult ever use this feature? Likely not. I also probably would have used it with my brother in the back of the car. You aren't going to be playing call of duty or anything with the screen sitting on the middle seat and you staring down at it. But Mario Party would work well. I'm sure there's a few other games that would be okay with a bit of a bumpy ride.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I had a Sega Nomad and it was great, and that only had about 2.5-3 hours of battery life tops. This thing can be 3 or 4 and it'll be A-OK.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

isn't half the reason portables are big in japan because people have like 90 minutes train commutes each way

It's that but also because they're never home except to sleep.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I did see a port on the back side of the dock in one of the pics that looked like the connector on the bottom of Wii remotes. Just one, though. Is the adapter for that or is that what the USB ports are for?

I can't say too much but the GameCube adapter supports four controllers on one USB port, with a second USB cable available for optional Rumble Support. You can piece together the facts from that, I bet ;)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The original 3DS also had a really terrible battery life. I remember buying an after market battery because it was only 2-3 hours. The problem is the dock looks like it expects an exact width so 3rd party batteries are going to be harder to make unless there is some wiggle room.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pixaal posted:

The original 3DS also had a really terrible battery life. I remember buying an after market battery because it was only 2-3 hours. The problem is the dock looks like it expects an exact width so 3rd party batteries are going to be harder to make unless there is some wiggle room.

they could make them connect by wire as a separate unit or something you can put in your pocket while you hold the console. keep weight down on the handset that way too

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Depending on what is going on with the dock and how much it actually does, maybe someone making a bigger battery like Hori would just make a bigger dock as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another thing I've noticed which is kind of weird. The top of the screen juts out of the dock. There has to be some reason for that. Maybe notifications appear there like a ticker?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

pixaal posted:

It would have to be on the bottom, where the power input presumably is. You could make one with a through put off all the other signals, but that's gonna be an expensive battery. Hopefully they have a USB charger you can plug in anywhere. (Like a mobile brick)

There's no way the dock is only way to charge. But nintendo....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Another thing I've noticed which is kind of weird. The top of the screen juts out of the dock. There has to be some reason for that. Maybe notifications appear there like a ticker?

its probably just to get a grip on the system cause if there's no joy cons on it, it'll be pretty flush with the toaster slot its in otherwise

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Going back to the whole joycon shoulder buttons issue:

I wish that they were reversed, so the left one had buttons on top joystick on bottom, and the right had buttons on bottom joystick on top.

Then when taken off you would have the flat connector side in your palm, and curved outside facing up. You could have both left and right triggers.

With the current layout, unless I'm missing something, the trigger and shoulder buttons will be on the bottom and thus unusable? And somehow a controller with a joystick and four buttons but no shoulder buttons disturbs me.

As mentioned, drifting in Mario kart. If I can't jump and drift with right index and do items with left index I'll weep. Can you imagine an MK game where for instance Y was accelerate, B was jump and drift, and items were A? Not a world i want to live in.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Mourning Due posted:

Going back to the whole joycon shoulder buttons issue:

I wish that they were reversed, so the left one had buttons on top joystick on bottom, and the right had buttons on bottom joystick on top.

Then when taken off you would have the flat connector side in your palm, and curved outside facing up. You could have both left and right triggers.

With the current layout, unless I'm missing something, the trigger and shoulder buttons will be on the bottom and thus unusable? And somehow a controller with a joystick and four buttons but no shoulder buttons disturbs me.

As mentioned, drifting in Mario kart. If I can't jump and drift with right index and do items with left index I'll weep. Can you imagine an MK game where for instance Y was accelerate, B was jump and drift, and items were A? Not a world i want to live in.

I was confused about this too, but look closely. You hold the controller curved side down. In that position, the bumper is on the side of the device, and the trigger is easily accessible on the back left for the left joy on, and back right for the right joycon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

marketing switch as a portable home console rather than a handheld with tv cast seems pretty important for mitigating the battery life argument.

i think it will do well there. i think most traditional gaming on handheld is better suited to a few longer sessions per day of play rather than the 3 minute bursts that cellphones have taken over, even if 3ds did get a few super versions of mobile games over the last few years like puzzle and dragon.

its like the train ride + lunchtime machine for every day

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sea Sponge Run posted:

The bus commute jerk :mad:

no one wants to see that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

oddium posted:

no one wants to see that

Theres entire genres of Japanese adult entertainment that says otherwise

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oddium posted:

no one wants to see that

hey now my switch is recharging

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mariovania lookin good get hype

E or Mario Souls take your pick

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/21/no-more-official-nintendo-switch-announcements-to-come-until-2017?abthid=580a9613d6e672bd2800000c

Spokesperson for Nintendo confirming no new details will be revealed until 2017 :(. Kinda lovely - maybe they're still not 100% done figuring out the internals fully themselves? Just seems like an odd move to wait that long to reveal anymore.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

InFlames235 posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/21/no-more-official-nintendo-switch-announcements-to-come-until-2017?abthid=580a9613d6e672bd2800000c

Spokesperson for Nintendo confirming no new details will be revealed until 2017 :(. Kinda lovely - maybe they're still not 100% done figuring out the internals fully themselves? Just seems like an odd move to wait that long to reveal anymore.

Nah it's just that they want to move 3DS units over the holidays. Remember, Nintendo's still a company!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This thing is not using Android unless Nintendo wants it to be hacked open before it even releases.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not going to have an OS. It's just plug in a cart and go.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think they just want to propagate the idea of a hybrid console, and not have us worry too much about exact specs. On the surface, it looks good. The last thing they'd want to do is have the whole internet debating on what core it should've used or how good online play will be, and have us completely worn out by March. At the moment all we really have is lighthearted speculation about what's possible with the Switch.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

InFlames235 posted:

Is it really all that odd though? They don't want people getting bogged down in the technical specs right now. They want the message to be focused about how it is a portable console that you can play on the go or on your tv. Can't blame Nintendo for wanting to make sure the message is understood everywhere after the Wii U fiasco. Will knowing today if there is a touch screen or if the dock boosts performance really matter versus finding out in January? Two months of lead time is plenty. Plus as it goes into full production that stuff will more likely than not leak out, anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I feel that this is the best possible choice Nintendo could make for a console.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not going to have an OS. It's just plug in a cart and go.

I would probably be cool with this at this point

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They should have restarted the Smash Bros. 4 Screenshot of the day site but not actually officially announce there's a new version coming out. Just have Sakurai casually posting shots of new features with varying degrees of interest each day.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

InFlames235 posted:

Why? How many of you are actually going to bring this to the park or some crap and play for more than 3 hours? And even if you were, why not just bring a battery pack or two as well to give this thing a good 4 - 5 charges. My use case is fine as I'll be using this 99% of the time in my house anyways and will be near a charging outlet almost at all times. I'd like 5 hours just so I wouldn't have to tether SUPER often, but 3 is still fine.

What if you have a really really really big dog who likes to take really really really long poop breaks?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

limaCAT posted:

What if you have a really really really big dog who likes to take really really really long poop breaks?

Should be able to finish the Forest Temple in around the time it takes for your enormous Bernese to take a huge poo poo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They should have restarted the Smash Bros. 4 Screenshot of the day site but not actually officially announce there's a new version coming out. Just have Sakurai casually posting shots of new features with varying degrees of interest each day.

That would mean telling Sakurai to make a new Smash before they announce it.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I'm intrigued but I was also intrigued by the Wii.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sakurai: Well I guess Nintendo has kidnapped me again for another Smash game........

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

thsi is why i am not a dog owner

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
good news, the switch now comes with a voucher for a rescue dog from a local shelter

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

InFlames235 posted:

This is the same exact WSJ source.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I really wonder what they're gonna do about Smash. There's zero chance there won't be Smash on the NS, but I don't think Sakurai will be able to work on an entire new Smash again. I still think simply porting the game over and adding in new characters/stages/etc instead of building everything up from scratch again.

I say "simply", I'm not a programmer and don't know how easy porting over a game like that is

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

marketing switch as a portable home console rather than a handheld with tv cast seems pretty important for mitigating the battery life argument.

i think it will do well there. i think most traditional gaming on handheld is better suited to a few longer sessions per day of play rather than the 3 minute bursts that cellphones have taken over, even if 3ds did get a few super versions of mobile games over the last few years like puzzle and dragon.

its like the train ride + lunchtime machine for every day

That but anyone needing more juice could just smuggle another charger at work.

Spellman posted:

Should be able to finish the Forest Temple in around the time it takes for your enormous Bernese to take a huge poo poo

Sounds reasonable.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Is it really all that odd though? They don't want people getting bogged down in the technical specs right now. They want the message to be focused about how it is a portable console that you can play on the go or on your tv. Can't blame Nintendo for wanting to make sure the message is understood everywhere after the Wii U fiasco. Will knowing today if there is a touch screen or if the dock boosts performance really matter versus finding out in January? Two months of lead time is plenty. Plus as it goes into full production that stuff will more likely than not leak out, anyway.

If they didn't want me to speculate whether or not it has a Tegra X2 in it then they shouldn't have let Nvidia release that press statement :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they will almost certainly tell us the price sooner rather than later for the sake of preorders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Reiley posted:

I can't say too much but the GameCube adapter supports four controllers on one USB port, with a second USB cable available for optional Rumble Support. You can piece together the facts from that, I bet ;)

I always wondered why the GameCube adapter needed two USBs. I guess four controllers + rumble over a single USB port is probably a bit much.

• Locked thread