Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Perchance to Dream also handled it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I like the shift from Bright Happy Simulation to Dark Reality in one page, to be fair.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mad Hatter willing to give Batman his perfect world just so he would leave him alone makes for a better motivation than Mad Hatter thought was saaaad

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

hey shut up about Grounded

Batman Gotham Adventures apparently, don't know the number

Let's argue some more about how Batman is broken as a person instead

I don't dislike it, but it just feels strange to see one of Batman's enemies to show genuine empathy for him.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Calaveron posted:

Mad Hatter willing to give Batman his perfect world just so he would leave him alone makes for a better motivation than Mad Hatter thought was saaaad
I think you may fundamentally misunderstand the nature of this story. Batman is the protagonist of the issue, but it's about the Mad Hatter, a tragically unhappy desperate man, trying to fix someone who in his mind is broken just like him. If the Hatter could make Batman be happy, then maybe, someday the Hatter could learn to be happy as well.

All the Gotham Adventures issues had a deep empathy for its wounded heroes and ruined villains. A bunch of the issues have stuck with me for years and years, while all the rest of the franchise blends together.

This is one of my all-time favorite Batman stories, in which Two-Face's lucky coin is switched with a weighted fake. And he starts to feel the unbearable guilt of all the choices he let the coin make.

Gotham Adventures #12

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

For the Man Who Has Everything was way better.

I liked how in JLU, when Batman gets the black mercy on him after pulling it off Superman, his perfect world is his dad beating the poo poo out of Joe Chill, forever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I liked how in JLU, when Batman gets the black mercy on him after pulling it off Superman, his perfect world is his dad beating the poo poo out of Joe Chill, forever.

Ugh, and the look on his face as Wonder Woman starts to rip the plant off him and his dad slowly starts to lose the fight. UGH :qq:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't dislike it, but it just feels strange to see one of Batman's enemies to show genuine empathy for him.

I'm hardly an authority on Batman's history but Hatter's always seemed to skew on the deluded and/or unwell side of the rogue's gallery, rather than the overtly malicious. Misguided empathy doesn't seem unusual.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd agree he has odd motivations. Usually his crimes aren't for money, instead being some other reason. This is actually true of a quite a few batman bad guys, off the cuff it seems like these motivations are most prevalent (in my opinion):
- Penguin: Money/Weakening an opponent in the world of organized crime
- Joker: Attacking Batman/the sane world/Chaos. Generally not in it for the money
- Two Face: Duality, and sometimes money/influence depending on the writer? This is the one I feel I have the least handle on
- Riddler: Showing people how smart he is
- Clayface: Getting money for a cure for his condition? He's apparently a good guy now
- Croc: Generally doesn't plan/commit crimes of his own other than those of opportunity or revenge
- Freeze: Nora/His continued existence
- Hatter: Weird creepy poo poo involving an Alice/Money(?)/Because he's bored?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You can weaponize cars really easily, that's no reason to not use them.

Yeah, it is an idiot kind of logic and it turns a series of books about a peaceful nation being invaded by evil villains into a nation led by assholes being invaded by other assholes. It really doesn't help if you like me had a baby cousin who died of cancer and has a dying grandmother from the same illness.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I always liked how in the DCAU, Bats' personal connection to Harvey always colors his interactions with him, and how he never gives up on him.

Also, I don't have it, but I remember reading this short thing in a collection around the time the Face the Face arc was going where they did a comic in the style of the Gotham Adventures (which was no longer printing) where Harvey gets an operation to fix his face after successful mental counseling. It doesn't work. It can't work, and it's really tragic. It was done in black and white which added a classiness to it. I want to say Dini himself wrote it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is it different to how Dark Knight Returns handled it? If so please find and post.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Choco1980 posted:

I always liked how in the DCAU, Bats' personal connection to Harvey always colors his interactions with him, and how he never gives up on him.

Also, I don't have it, but I remember reading this short thing in a collection around the time the Face the Face arc was going where they did a comic in the style of the Gotham Adventures (which was no longer printing) where Harvey gets an operation to fix his face after successful mental counseling. It doesn't work. It can't work, and it's really tragic. It was done in black and white which added a classiness to it. I want to say Dini himself wrote it.

I know there was at least one story where the Joker nudged a Harvey that was on the edge of a genuine recovery back over the edge, just because it was Tuesday.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Infinitum posted:

Is it different to how Dark Knight Returns handled it? If so please find and post.

It was very different. Harvey was cured and had his face fixed but he started dating a woman who turned out to have a twin, and that fact alone started the cracks in his psyche. The twin turned out to be manipulative and homicidal and starts turning Harvey back towards the dark side.

This imgur album has the whole comic:
http://imgur.com/a/kAl7l

Story and art by Bruce Timm, Dini had nothing to do with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Dini had nothing to do with it.
Oh boy doesn't that describe a lot of the DCAU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

I'd agree he has odd motivations. Usually his crimes aren't for money, instead being some other reason. This is actually true of a quite a few batman bad guys, off the cuff it seems like these motivations are most prevalent (in my opinion):
- Penguin: Money/Weakening an opponent in the world of organized crime
- Joker: Attacking Batman/the sane world/Chaos. Generally not in it for the money
- Two Face: Duality, and sometimes money/influence depending on the writer? This is the one I feel I have the least handle on
- Riddler: Showing people how smart he is
- Clayface: Getting money for a cure for his condition? He's apparently a good guy now
- Croc: Generally doesn't plan/commit crimes of his own other than those of opportunity or revenge
- Freeze: Nora/His continued existence
- Hatter: Weird creepy poo poo involving an Alice/Money(?)/Because he's bored?

For what it's worth, my read on Two Face is that while he's a classic gangster in terms of MO, he's also obsessed with the influence of random chance in an uncaring universe. A cruel turn of fate ruined his looks, his career, his sanity and effectively his life, and now in each crime he plays that out again on his victims by subjecting them to a coin toss to see whether they will live or die (or other good outcome/bad outcome duality).

It's sort of like a twisted, long-form method of trauma processing, and it roots from the fact that he sees what happened to him as essentially unfair, unstoppable, and unlucky, rather than being the consequence of a sequence of actions. He wants to recreate that dynamic - of unfair, unstoppable bad luck - over and over again with his crimes. I'd say he's a nihilist, but he's a bit too petty for that. His main "thing" is re-enacting his own trauma through arbitrary injustice carried out on others.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I just heard the news :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

I just heard the news :smith:

This year sucks. Preacher appealed to the angry young man I was when ti was new. I loved Dillon's work even when others didn't. This is a massive loss to the industry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
These seem like cool panels.

A shame I don't know what the gently caress they are.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Android Blues posted:

For what it's worth, my read on Two Face is that while he's a classic gangster in terms of MO, he's also obsessed with the influence of random chance in an uncaring universe. A cruel turn of fate ruined his looks, his career, his sanity and effectively his life, and now in each crime he plays that out again on his victims by subjecting them to a coin toss to see whether they will live or die (or other good outcome/bad outcome duality).

It's sort of like a twisted, long-form method of trauma processing, and it roots from the fact that he sees what happened to him as essentially unfair, unstoppable, and unlucky, rather than being the consequence of a sequence of actions. He wants to recreate that dynamic - of unfair, unstoppable bad luck - over and over again with his crimes. I'd say he's a nihilist, but he's a bit too petty for that. His main "thing" is re-enacting his own trauma through arbitrary injustice carried out on others.

Yeah the current All-Star Batman comic is doing some interesting exploration of Harvey's character and past(as well as Bruce's)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toshimo posted:

Preacher, don't know the issues.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

People'll bring up the Frank-face thing, but I'm sure he recently got out of that rutt. Sad to hear of his death.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

LashLightning posted:

People'll bring up the Frank-face thing, but I'm sure he recently got out of that rutt. Sad to hear of his death.

Someone in another thread posted that he was apparently doing it intentionally to feed the joke.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Not taking no poo poo off this guy

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

purple death ray posted:

It was very different. Harvey was cured and had his face fixed but he started dating a woman who turned out to have a twin, and that fact alone started the cracks in his psyche. The twin turned out to be manipulative and homicidal and starts turning Harvey back towards the dark side.

Whoops, sorry for the mixup. Thanks for the post. It's funny that a cartoon aimed at kids works so well as one of the most adult takes on the character, and the adult themes in this strip don't feel unnatural in the least.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

What news?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steve-dillon-dead-preacher-creator-940668

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Android Blues posted:

If those panels posted earlier are an indication, he also credits his rise as DA to good luck (possibly due to an inferiority/imposter complex) as much as he credits his fall to bad luck.

I think Timm saw that Harvey is a great foil to Batman since Bruce was also the product of good fortune, in that he was born into immense wealth and privilege, only for a rotten twist of fate to rob him of his family, the only thing that mattered to him. That's why their interactions worked so well and why Batman empathized with him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

Batman: Black and White Vol. 1

I always preferred Two-Face as the conflicted villain more than the outright villain. The fact that he depends on his coin a lot pushes into this a lot. I really don't like the outright villain crime boss angle a lot of writers go with.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the point of him is that he sometimes does good things. His true "evil" is that he's abandoned moral responsibility rather than him simply being a cruel man with a gimmick.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the first time I ever saw him in a comic, was WAYYYY back in the 80s and even then I think it was an old issue. It was a cover, I think, and he had tied Batman and Robin to a coin, and was going to FLIP IT INTO SPACE! MWAUAHAHAHAHAHAH and that kinda killed any hope he had of being taken seriously by me.

If it helps, Capn' Boomerang kinda did the same poo poo with The Flash, only somehow, more retarded.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My first exposure to Two-Face was A Lonely Place of Dying, so maybe that's why he's always been one of my favorites.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vision #12 :smith:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

This series hurts, although at least it's a bittersweet ending rather than just bitter as his daughter is still alive at least

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

This series hurts, although at least it's a bittersweet ending rather than just bitter as his daughter is still alive at least

And one other :3:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Try not to save any worlds on the way to the parking lot!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

Try not to save any worlds on the way to the parking lot!

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I'm glad I recommended Vision #1 to someone because I ended up rereading it just before reading 12, and thus was able to pick up on all the callbacks to the first issue, such as their quibble over the distinction between "nice" and "kind".