Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

What's the modern consensus on CD-R brands for consoles? I heard Taiyo Yuden was always the best, but apparently they stopped manufacturing CD-Rs last year. A lot of people used to recommend Verbatim, since they used Taiyo Yuden discs. However, now they're CMC Magnetics. TDK also switched to CMC. I noticed a couple of my systems have trouble with my TDK disks, but will work with my newer Verbatims just fine, even though they're both CMC-made. I'm guessing the inconsistency might be due to the disks being consumer/value disks.

To make matters more confusing, CMC apparently acquired Taiyo Yuden's manufacturing process. So, if you get "CMC Pro," you're allegedly getting the same quality as the Taiyo Yudens of old. They brand these as "professional," so I just ordered a pack hoping that I wind up with discs of reasonable quality.

The MediaPro brand seems to be trying to clone Taiyo Yuden discs as well: http://www.mediasupply.com/media-pro-premium-a-grade-blank-cds-and-dvds.html

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

azurite posted:

What's the modern consensus on CD-R brands for consoles? I heard Taiyo Yuden was always the best, but apparently they stopped manufacturing CD-Rs last year. A lot of people used to recommend Verbatim, since they used Taiyo Yuden discs. However, now they're CMC Magnetics. TDK also switched to CMC. I noticed a couple of my systems have trouble with my TDK disks, but will work with my newer Verbatims just fine, even though they're both CMC-made. I'm guessing the inconsistency might be due to the disks being consumer/value disks.

To make matters more confusing, CMC apparently acquired Taiyo Yuden's manufacturing process. So, if you get "CMC Pro," you're allegedly getting the same quality as the Taiyo Yudens of old. They brand these as "professional," so I just ordered a pack hoping that I wind up with discs of reasonable quality.

The MediaPro brand seems to be trying to clone Taiyo Yuden discs as well: http://www.mediasupply.com/media-pro-premium-a-grade-blank-cds-and-dvds.html

I've been using this brand of TDK discs with great success on my Saturn and PS1. I think I've only had a few failed burns.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

I had forgotten that Sony pulled that level of confusing bullshit. :psyduck:

I couldn't believe people were not more pissed about that. I had a friend buy an 80gb PS3 fat and a bunch of PS2 games only to find out it was the 80GB fat without BC.

At least when Nintendo took GameCube compatibility out of the Wii they waited literally years (Sony waited a couple months) and they put blatant warnings on the box.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

azurite posted:

For most uses, any of the discs out there will be fine. We're well past the point where the manufacturer could mean the difference between the disc becoming unusable in weeks and the disc lasting 10 years. Remember that CD-Rs should be treated as never going to last forever at any point.

The AmazonBasics discs work great and are quite cheap. As far as actual reliability over an extended time period, I still have plenty of TDK discs from the early 2000sthat are readable today.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doc Morbid posted:

Of course, European PS3s never had any kind of PS2 backwards compatibility in the first place. :eurovision:

The very first model did, but it was the stripped down one that emulated either the EE or GS, I can't remember which. It was the only way my buddy could play PSU AOTI with me :v:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

fishmech posted:

For most uses, any of the discs out there will be fine. We're well past the point where the manufacturer could mean the difference between the disc becoming unusable in weeks and the disc lasting 10 years. Remember that CD-Rs should be treated as never going to last forever at any point.

The AmazonBasics discs work great and are quite cheap. As far as actual reliability over an extended time period, I still have plenty of TDK discs from the early 2000sthat are readable today.

I'm not really looking for archival quality, since I can always burn a new disc after my 10-year-old copy turns into a coaster. What I'm concerned about is consistency between consoles with new discs fresh off the burner. It seems like brand does make a difference in terms of compatibility with aging lasers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

kirbysuperstar posted:

The very first model did, but it was the stripped down one that emulated either the EE or GS, I can't remember which. It was the only way my buddy could play PSU AOTI with me :v:
Yeah, I was thinking there might have been an early model that had emulation-based BC. By the time I got my first PS3 in early 2008, those had long since been phased out (if they were released in my country at all).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I couldn't believe people were not more pissed about that. I had a friend buy an 80gb PS3 fat and a bunch of PS2 games only to find out it was the 80GB fat without BC.

At least when Nintendo took GameCube compatibility out of the Wii they waited literally years (Sony waited a couple months) and they put blatant warnings on the box.

The boxes definitely had warnings, albeit maybe not sufficiently prominent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

azurite posted:

I'm not really looking for archival quality, since I can always burn a new disc after my 10-year-old copy turns into a coaster. What I'm concerned about is consistency between consoles with new discs fresh off the burner. It seems like brand does make a difference in terms of compatibility with aging lasers.

That would be a function of dye types used, which are fairly uniform across manufacturers these days unlike the old days. The difference you see tends to be in how well the disc as a whole is constructed to prevent the dye from breaking down/otherwise being ruined.

Makes a lot more sense to replace the lasers where possible though, rather than try to squeeze out another few months of life via hunting down special discs, which might not even help.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I used some cheap memorex CD-R's to burn a handful of Sega CD and Saturn games, and the only thing that seemed to fail was a 32X FMV game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hey y'all, I bet some of you like arcade games. Just a hunch.

There's a cool marathon on Twitch this weekend all about arcade games, and it's for charity too!

I made a thread right.... here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794933

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

iastudent posted:

Hey y'all, I bet some of you like arcade games. Just a hunch.

There's a cool marathon on Twitch this weekend all about arcade games, and it's for charity too!

I made a thread right.... here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794933

I'm so pumped for IIDX to finally get in a marathon even if it's just infinitas. I've been helping PHNX get his hardware ready to go. If you thought the stepmania block on agdq was neat prepare your anus

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Densha de go gbc- I'm just as bad at it as I am every other one, but it's still kind of fun, and sort of impressive for gbc

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

I used some cheap memorex CD-R's to burn a handful of Sega CD and Saturn games, and the only thing that seemed to fail was a 32X FMV game.

I have nearly 10-year-old Memorex CDs that work flawlessly in one Saturn but won't even recognize as CDs in another.

On the other hand, my Sega CDs will take anything I throw at them. They are total beasts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Densha de go gbc- I'm just as bad at it as I am every other one, but it's still kind of fun, and sort of impressive for gbc

The portable Densha's pre-DS are all kind of weird since they're a lot of like 8-bit racing games in terms of formatting.

I still want the LCD handheld Densha de Go games even if they're terrible.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of fragile sega hardware no one owns, let's say I want to get my childhood (Majesco ver) Game Gear refurbished, should I just throw it out and get one of the Sega ones that's been refurbished or do the important mods still work on my model? Also does anyone know a place that will do it for me, since I'm garbage at soldering,

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Holy god drat poo poo. This is cute as gently caress.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2016/10/161021_p01.html?i0010=news

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Arcade Superplay Expo to benefit Save the Children (savethechildren.org) begins today! Tonight! Whatever!

Donate here : https://www.tiltify.com/events/superplay

Schedule here : https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule

I'll be score running (probably not a WR attempt, we were not able to secure a PCB of the game so this will be MAME or 360 arcade depending on which we determine to have less lag input) Splatterhouse at 10:20PM PST / 12:20AM CST. Definitely check the schedule for anything that interests you, they have some really great stuff up! There's a donation incentive for my friend zallard1 to speedrun Splatterhouse after my score run (it's only $100, I really want to meet that!) too.

Sorry I know I already posted about this, but reminders were requested. :sax: Hope you guys enjoy! :toot:

Stream : http://twitch.tv/superplay

My dumb tweets : http://twitter.com/sacaitlin

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Checked the last few pages and didn't see this.

Policenauts patch for Saturn had been released.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2744/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Checked the last few pages and didn't see this.

Policenauts patch for Saturn had been released.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2744/

I was fumbling about on page 98 and 99 trying to get it working.

Haven't had much time to actually play it much past the beginning, but I definitely want to get around to.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's very well-done. I haven't encountered any problems yet, and I'm on disc 2.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

azurite posted:

late but I always go for "made in taiwan" no matter the brand (forget finding japan made ones like TY outside specialty shops these days). never had a problem with these being read in anything i throw em at and they seem to last a very long time. the modern taiwan/CMC discs seem very much like the TY of old. I get em at walgreens, maxell brand gold ones iirc

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So I got some Atari games from Shopgoodwill.com and they they packed them in the second most ridiculous way I've ever encountered. They just straight dumped them in a box, like, not even any newspaper or anything. The thing is though, these guys are covered in some kinda oil. I'm guessing some kinda machine lubricant or something similar to that but they are gross, even some of the labels seem pretty soaked in the stuff. Checking the pictures on the site and it looks like they were like this prior to them listing but they didn't make any mention of it in the description. So I guess if you're buying from them avoid the Charlotte, NC store, because those guys are goobers.

Anyways anyone have an idea on the best way to clean these carts up? I was thinking Cat Litter or Rice to try to soak up the oil but don't know if there is a better way. Anyone ever have weird gross smelly oily stuff spill all over their games before?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Are you sure you didn't order them from some kind of Cold War era military dump?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I bought a Model 1 Genesis and apparently the AV cable is different from the Model 2 and it didn't come with one.

:argh:

It looks cool tho

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Soul Glo posted:

I bought a Model 1 Genesis and apparently the AV cable is different from the Model 2 and it didn't come with one.

:argh:

It looks cool tho

I just got a Model 1 this week myself. If you are running composite just got for this and this for audio it works like a charm.

I am waiting for a RGB cable at the moment. I forgot how bad composite looks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Djarum posted:

I just got a Model 1 this week myself. If you are running composite just got for this and this for audio it works like a charm.

I am waiting for a RGB cable at the moment. I forgot how bad composite looks.

I'll check this out if my local place doesn't have any tomorrow, thanks

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can also get a converter cable with a headphone jack to just use a model 2 cable with your Genesis and it's a much cleaner setup. Also check the cables closely, because the AV cable I got for my Genesis model 1 was super thin and the audio part tore off.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you have a soldering iron, it's pretty simple to rip out the RF modulator and hook up composite video directly to the RCA jack on the back. Then use a standard video cable and the headphone jack for audio.

edit: I did a small writeup on it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1720&perpage=40#post458194506

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

wa27 posted:

If you have a soldering iron, it's pretty simple to rip out the RF modulator and hook up composite video directly to the RCA jack on the back. Then use a standard video cable and the headphone jack for audio.

edit: I did a small writeup on it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1720&perpage=40#post458194506

The extent of my skillset with opening electronics stops somewhere around "changing batteries" and "dusting out the inside of a computer tower". :shobon:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Pay Monitor Burn to S-Video mod that poo poo, Jesus people it's obvious.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673990

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Monitor Burn does a great service. Next week when I get paid I will have to do the N64 and NES mods. How big of a jump is component from composite on the NES and N64. Genesis looks amazing in component, but SNES it hard to see too much of a jump, even through it does look a lot nicer.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

If my SNES is compatible, is there any reason why anyone should buy one of the ~$15-20 SCART cables instead of one of the $3 ones? Or are the $3 ones totally fine?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Spoderman posted:

If my SNES is compatible, is there any reason why anyone should buy one of the ~$15-20 SCART cables instead of one of the $3 ones? Or are the $3 ones totally fine?

3 dollar SCART cables? They're either garbage with no shielding and the SNES definitely needs shielding to prevent audio buzzing or not SCART cables at all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah Monitor Burn does a great service. Next week when I get paid I will have to do the N64 and NES mods. How big of a jump is component from composite on the NES and N64. Genesis looks amazing in component, but SNES it hard to see too much of a jump, even through it does look a lot nicer.

Component from the NES? Are you looking for some kind of RGB-Component scaler? Sorry, I'm not too well versed on the connection options available for US folks - I guess that's one thing us europeans got the upper hand with consumer TV's having RGB scart connections basically by default. (don't feel too bad, we give the advantage back with the whole 50hz thing.)

But like I said earlier RGB from the NES looks amazing. I had mine from Monitor Burn as well, or actually the AV Famicom. That thing just rocks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It... it still happens guys don't give up on your search.

Are you supposed to pair it with the composite cables?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Phantasium posted:

i hate you so much

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Phantasium posted:

for audio, use a composite or s-vdeo cable in the AVout jack

It will never happen for me... still waiting on the plug-n-play gcvideo option to be designed and released as announced in the spring

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Now flip them for :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Nice!

• Locked thread