Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
reminder: Rhythm Heaven Paradise Megamix came out in Europe today, digital and physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Basically it ignores what makes a good handheld in an attempt to make it double as a console, and vice-versa. The concept is dumb from the get-go, and it'll take a lot of work on Nintendo's part to make it work well.

I appreciate you posting your opinion, even though it was entirely wrong.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

reminder: Rhythm Heaven Paradise Megamix came out in Europe today, digital and physical.
I thought it was digital-only?

e: Oh I apparently got it mixed up, NA got it earlier than EU but digital only. We're getting it now on both digital and retail. Neat!

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 21, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh Gamestop, you and your crazy pricing. :allears:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

glad as gently caress i didn't pull the trigger on a New 3Ds the other week.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

well why not posted:

glad as gently caress i didn't pull the trigger on a New 3Ds the other week.

Why? The Switch isn't coming out until March of next year, and we don't know if it's compatible with the 3DS at all.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I wanna know if it's backwards compatible with wii u games, if not I might buy one now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rumours are that there's no backwards compatibility with either WiiU or 3DS.

The 3DS is still a fantastic console with a ton of great games, and will remain in existence after March 2017.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Why? The Switch isn't coming out until March of next year, and we don't know if it's compatible with the 3DS at all.

Because I have an OG 3Ds and haven't honestly used it that much. I won't be completely burnt on Zelda ports or pokemon until the Switch drops.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
3DS still has basically the strongest library in history, it's not a bad thing to buy.

Also: I don't think the Switch will fit in my pants?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharktamer posted:

I wanna know if it's backwards compatible with wii u games, if not I might buy one now.

The Switch doesn't have a disc drive, or dual screen functionality, but yeah you can probably play Wii U games with it. Just grind the disc up and pour the powder in the cartridge slot

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr Cheeto posted:

Finally, it is my time to shine. Messenger bag superiority.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

sharktamer posted:

A Famitsu article just came out that said it is not, but apparently they specified that it is the WiiU disc and 3DS carts that wouldn't work.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Wii U ports, like how Wii U has some Wii games on the eShop, but like... yeah, there's no disc drive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

3DS still has basically the strongest library in history, it's not a bad thing to buy.

The PS2 still has a good five+ years and several hundred titles on everything else. The 3DS still has a fantastic library in its own right though.

irlZaphod posted:

Rumours are that there's no backwards compatibility with either WiiU or 3DS.

The 3DS is still a fantastic console with a ton of great games, and will remain in existence after March 2017.

It's an nVidia Tegra GPU and only has one screen. There's nothing compatible there to work with.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch doesn't have a disc drive, or dual screen functionality, but yeah you can probably play Wii U games with it. Just grind the disc up and pour the powder in the cartridge slot

Oh poo poo you got me, fukin rekt

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PS2 still has a good five+ years and several hundred titles on everything else. The 3DS still has a fantastic library in its own right though.

*pushes up glasses*

*moves hands from RGB backlit moust to RGB backlit corsair keyboard*

*leans intently forward in dx-racer chair*

I think good sir that the PC has the best catalog

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll have to concede, the PS2 was the best selling game console of all time for good reason.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I haven't used or thought about my New 3DS in at least a year if not longer - if I sell it with the ambassador certificate, can the new owner keep all the ambassador titles? Is that worth more on the secondary market?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I haven't used or thought about my New 3DS in at least a year if not longer - if I sell it with the ambassador certificate, can the new owner keep all the ambassador titles? Is that worth more on the secondary market?

Your NNID would have to go with it, I think.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Amazon has an exclusive New 3DS XL color that comes with Super Mario World pre-installed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

It's nice that Amazon and Nintendo are friends again :kimchi:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please forgive the ignorant question: I see there's a some special black Pokemon New 3DS XL out on 10/28. I'm thinking about getting it for my little brother's birthday. Is this something I should preorder or are things like this usually plentiful at Target/Gamestop/etc. on release day? I seem to recall some limited edition 3DS releases being hard to find, but I would imagine Pokemon is pretty popular.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please forgive the ignorant question: I see there's a some special black Pokemon New 3DS XL out on 10/28. I'm thinking about getting it for my little brother's birthday. Is this something I should preorder or are things like this usually plentiful at Target/Gamestop/etc. on release day? I seem to recall some limited edition 3DS releases being hard to find, but I would imagine Pokemon is pretty popular.

Definitely pre-order it. They become available again sometimes after the hype dies down, but a lot of these will get snapped up by collectors and scalpers, and there's a massive rush to order them online when they go live.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Definitely pre-order it. They become available again sometimes after the hype dies down, but a lot of these will get snapped up by collectors and scalpers, and there's a massive rush to order them online when they go live.
Thanks. Is Gamestop my best bet when it comes to this sort of stuff? I don't shop there, but I'm guessing they're a more reliable place to preorder than somewhere like Target or Best Buy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks. Is Gamestop my best bet when it comes to this sort of stuff? I don't shop there, but I'm guessing they're a more reliable place to preorder than somewhere like Target or Best Buy.

It doesn't really matter but I tend to notice my local Target getting more stock than GameStop for video game related things. Also Target and Best Buy tend to actually have sales and promotions sometimes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

They are all probably fine, but Gamestop probably has the best infrastructure for it as far as like sending you text alerts and stuff. Amazon has been not friends with Nintendo for a while, but they seem to have patched things up. I'm not sure if they'll be doing pre-orders for it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Between the DS\SNES back catalog and the 3DS catalog I have enough good stuff that I can skip the Switch if it's as meh as the design makes it look, and for that I'm grateful. It might end up being an awesome system, but it looks so... bland, like a low end tablet that you get for free for attending a conference.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sharktamer posted:

It's a different architecture and takes cartridges, so signs point to no.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Famitsu confirmed that there's no physical backwards with 3ds/wiiu

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-confirms-no-physical-backwards-compatibility-for-switch-no-comment-on-mobile-games/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hear JNCOs are making a comeback

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's interesting that they specifically said that. I'll probably still hang on to my 3DS and Wii U since you can play games natively from 3 different system libraries on each with homebrew.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's interesting that they specifically said that. I'll probably still hang on to my 3DS and Wii U since you can play games natively from 3 different system libraries on each with homebrew.

If you include emulators and VC, with the Wii U you can play games from every Nintendo system from the Wii on back. Except the Virtual Boy I guess.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're playing the Pokemon demo today (10/21) there's a special character just north of the Pokemon Center

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Does this demo ever let me buy some pokeballs, or is it just going to continue to taunt me with this city full of useless grass patches.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

Does this demo ever let me buy some pokeballs, or is it just going to continue to taunt me with this city full of useless grass patches.

You can only play the catching game and have to give them up after finishing. There is a Pikachu in the catching area so you can use the Z move.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Just got back from vacation and saw the Switch announcement. Basically seems to be what was expected from leaks and patent applications they've made. It won't replace the 3DS for portability. The most intriguing thing was the slipping it in a holder for the backseat of the car and being able to play Mario Kart on the go with the removable remotes.

So on my vacation I packed my 2DS along with DQ7 and River City: Tokyo Rumble. I didn't have much time to play and did not touch DQ7. But I beat RC:TR, then played through the campaign again and 100% it (maxed out every character, got all items and quests). A great game, though grinding for 3k kills at the end of the game was a bit tedious when my characters were maxed out before I got to 2k kills

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

To no-one's surprise at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To no-one's surprise at all.

Its kind of surprising that they specified physical copies and not all of them in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Dude definitely pre-order. I got the pokemon red blue 20th anniversary bundle and I checked back 6 months later to find that it had increased by 100 dollars and it's hard to find sellers that won't give you the "knock off international version". Was pretty surprised that my 3ds somehow appreciated. :dance:

E. I preordered mine off Amazon if that helps.