Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
If your kitten is biting you a bunch, how hard are they biting? If the answer is "not that hard," that's REALLY GOOD and you can continue cat wrangling and whatever. If they start biting harder, you'll need to stop and/or scruff them and let them know it's not ok in whatever your favored way is. It's much harder to deal with cats that always want to bite at full strength, and I've found that playing with cats a bunch and letting them nip you early on helps them learn to control their bite strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
My cat took 2 years to learn about bite-strength and we're still having lessons :zoro:

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
The downside of this nonintervention thing with my cats is that one of them has chased the other out of bed and now I have no fuzzbuckets to keep me company and snuggle overnight.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
The only thing that stopped Decoy from harrassing Hugo was getting a dog, who now indignantly interrupts all fights. Get a dog and you will get your bedtime fuzzbuckets back +1 huge hairy rear end in a top hat that takes up all the leg room.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Came home noticed a couple of red spots on the carpet. Neither cat seemed hurt. After dinner, Cookie took a huge piss in the litterbox, then tried to poop. The only thing he produced was squirting reddish water down his legs. Its too late for nearby vets, I'll take him in when its morning... what the gently caress is up with cookie?

HELP.

The Commissar
Feb 13, 2011

MrSlam posted:

My cat took 2 years to learn about bite-strength and we're still having lessons :zoro:

Just like mine. Even when he doesn't apply as much force it still hurts as hell. The worst is when he decides to bite my nose while I'm sleeping.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
For the past two days, I've gotten out of the shower in the evening to find a trail of cat poop into the hallway and my bedroom or the living room. A bit here, a bit there. Almost as if one of my cats was running and pooping at the same time. Since it has only happened when I was in the shower (at different times yesterday and today), I don't know which one of the cats is doing it, or if indeed it is the same cat.

I've seen this before, when one of the cats was startled out of a litter box because I was trying to clean it out when they jumped in to do their business. Is it possible one of the other cats is startling them/chasing them out of the litter box mid-poop? Or are they just mad at me for taking a shower?

I'm going out of town tomorrow for two days and a friend of mine is coming to feed them. I've already warned her to watch her step. I don't know what else to do about it, since I don't know which cat is doing it.

I haven't really changed anything in their diet or their litter box. I did get some new litter a week ago, but I've since added in the previous litter I had been using. And I've changed the litter a couple of times (due to running out and having to get whatever was available at the nearest store), and they have never seemed to care. They're pretty easy going in general.

They're all almost six months old, and I've had them for about two months. Haven't really had any poop-related issues until now (except for little poopy butthole spots when they haven't cleaned themselves enough; that's fun).

Any thoughts?

Here they are waiting out Hurricane Matthew a week or so ago: http://imgur.com/a/DLFXX

Edit: As a follow-up, any suggestions for keeping the cats from jumping into a litter box while I'm cleaning it out? I've tried putting it up high, turning it so the opening is away from them (I'm using three Sterilite storage bins), closing them out of the room (which I'm worried will lead to an accident)... not sure if this is something that they'll grow out of. It's really annoying and makes cleaning the litter boxes take a lot longer.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 20, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How much space for a single cat? I've had a cat before but in larger apt to a single bedroom now. I feel like apart from following me cats don't really run around as much as dogs :v:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Alder posted:

How much space for a single cat? I've had a cat before but in larger apt to a single bedroom now. I feel like apart from following me cats don't really run around as much as dogs :v:

Yup, cats don't need a ton of space. What does help is vertical space, like cat trees and shelves and furniture they can jump onto and climb around on. Especially if it's also next to a window for premium cat TV watching.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Alder posted:

I live in a bachelor's suite and although I can't say for sure my cat generally seems pretty happy. give it a cat tree and play with it for a little while every day

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lizard_phunk posted:

If you want to crank the catnip up to max, get some matatabi sticks (Actinidia polygama - also goes by the name "silver vine").

I originally picked some up when I lived in Japan. My cat goes insane over these and will claw and chew the bark while rolling around like a maniac. Please hold on to them tightly so your cat doesn't actually choke on them.

The last batch I got was from Ebay for like $1 with free shipping internationally and :catdrugs:

I've been wanting to get Jet CATSTONED for a while, but none of the lovely pet store catnip works well. I ordered some matatabi off of Amazon and I'll see if this helps him go nuts :)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Alder posted:

Yeah definitely give them lots of vertical space, e.g. Cat tree (Armatkat has great inexpensive ones) and bookshelves they can jump on. Hidey spaces are good too.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Synthbuttrange posted:

Came home noticed a couple of red spots on the carpet. Neither cat seemed hurt. After dinner, Cookie took a huge piss in the litterbox, then tried to poop. The only thing he produced was squirting reddish water down his legs. Its too late for nearby vets, I'll take him in when its morning... what the gently caress is up with cookie?

HELP.

I am NOT a vet, but this seems very bad to me, perhaps a rough UTI or crystals (if it's in his pee) that have progressed far and quickly. If it's coming out of his butt I would be very worried. Get in to an emergency vet or ASAP in the morning.

Other considerations: is Cookie still drinking water? Is he panting, over-grooming, or wheezing? Have you changed anything about his food or care recently? Keep a very close watch on him. If the litterbox hasn't been cleaned in a day or two pull out some clumps and inspect them for blood or detritus. Lightly massage his abdomen and see how he reacts. Take careful note of all of these things to present to the vet.

The downside of cats is that they don't often express pain or discomfort in a way that's obvious to us. We see they're not whining, they're not crying, they aren't pacing or anything like that, and many people dismiss a problem because it just isn't as clear-cut as, say, a dog would make it by making a fuss. They're like your mom insisting that she's fine to not put anyone out, even when it's abundantly clear she has the 'flu.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh forgot to update here. Called the vet, they reccomended we come in right away.

Apparently some unexplained intestinal irritation. On meds now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

That. is. a. GOOD. CATTE.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Alder posted:

You can get away with a lot. If you got a kitten that's hyper as gently caress and you got a small place, they'll bank off the walls and poo poo anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We have an old pair of apple earbuds that we'll dangle in front of Leela occasionally and she makes a very specific excited meow as soon as we start that we pretty much never hear her do in any other situation. It's kind of crazy how excited she gets over a gross old pair of earbuds :3:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Alright Cat thread, I have a mystery on my hands (and no, it is not the mystery of who destroyed all the TP again).

Last night, early in the morning, Tuna was in full Play mode. If a shooed him away he would return in like two minutes and start poking me with his paws. If I close the door, he starts destroying the carpet outside of it, etc. Eventually, I hit on the idea of just shutting him in his (fairly roomy) cat carrier for a while to calm him down. So I bring it into my bedroom, manage to stick him in through the top door, and lie back and wait--I'm not going to leave him in there all night, just long enough to hopefully get him to calm down a bit. Sure enough, there's some meows and metal noises, but eventually he quiets down.

So I get up and open up the top to let him out. But he doesn't come out. I figure, okay, maybe he's not paying attention? So I open the front. Still no Tuna. I reach inside. Tuna is not inside the carrier. A bit of searching finds him just wandering around the apartment. So how the hell did he get out of there? I've been thinking it over, and there's not a lot I can come up with:

1.) I somehow completely missed him leaving the carrier when I opened it. I don't think this is especially likely.

2.) The front door wasn't closed all the way. I know for a fact that the top one was closed. It's possible that the front door was shut far enough that the locking mechanism was pressed against the frame of the door, but not in its actual holes, and he could just push it open. When I went to open the carrier, the door at least wasn't hanging open, and I think that I'd have noticed if the locking mechanism was 100% disengaged, but I can't be 100% sure of that like I am the other facts.

3.) The front door was closed, but he managed to operate the mechanism from inside the carrier. This has similar objections to 2, with the addition that I don't think he could fit his big polydactyl paws through the grid of the door. It does make it slightly more believable that he'd be able to close the door again, but that would be an honestly terrifying amount of forethought for a cat to have.

4.) Tuna is literally magic and I understand nothing of the world.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Alright Cat thread, I have a mystery on my hands (and no, it is not the mystery of who destroyed all the TP again).

Last night, early in the morning, Tuna was in full Play mode. If a shooed him away he would return in like two minutes and start poking me with his paws. If I close the door, he starts destroying the carpet outside of it, etc. Eventually, I hit on the idea of just shutting him in his (fairly roomy) cat carrier for a while to calm him down. So I bring it into my bedroom, manage to stick him in through the top door, and lie back and wait--I'm not going to leave him in there all night, just long enough to hopefully get him to calm down a bit. Sure enough, there's some meows and metal noises, but eventually he quiets down.

So I get up and open up the top to let him out. But he doesn't come out. I figure, okay, maybe he's not paying attention? So I open the front. Still no Tuna. I reach inside. Tuna is not inside the carrier. A bit of searching finds him just wandering around the apartment. So how the hell did he get out of there? I've been thinking it over, and there's not a lot I can come up with:

1.) I somehow completely missed him leaving the carrier when I opened it. I don't think this is especially likely.

2.) The front door wasn't closed all the way. I know for a fact that the top one was closed. It's possible that the front door was shut far enough that the locking mechanism was pressed against the frame of the door, but not in its actual holes, and he could just push it open. When I went to open the carrier, the door at least wasn't hanging open, and I think that I'd have noticed if the locking mechanism was 100% disengaged, but I can't be 100% sure of that like I am the other facts.

3.) The front door was closed, but he managed to operate the mechanism from inside the carrier. This has similar objections to 2, with the addition that I don't think he could fit his big polydactyl paws through the grid of the door. It does make it slightly more believable that he'd be able to close the door again, but that would be an honestly terrifying amount of forethought for a cat to have.

4.) Tuna is literally magic and I understand nothing of the world.

Rename him Macavity immediately. Also, get him a friend and/or some toys he can play with by himself.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The vet thinks my barfy kitty has IBD.

I didn't even know cats could get IBD. Special diet, Pepcid twice a day, perhaps the liquid Prilosec-alike made for cats? She also charms the pants off everyone at the clinic--and of course didn't get sick under observation so I had to collect vomit samples. :gonk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Lord of Hats posted:

I wouldn't completely rule it out, the smartest couple of cats I've known could plausibly do something like that. Not at all likely, but not beyond them either. Perhaps more likely is that the door opened (either through you overlooking it or through feline cunning) and Tuna shut it again by simple accident whilst leaving, just by brushing against it or something?

Vastyr
Jul 23, 2013
I hope this question hasn't been asked 10,000 times,

Does anyone know WTF is up with tapeworm tabs lately? I used to get them 3$/pop ~ and it seems like now they are WAYYYYY expensive. Any hot tips or am I stuck paying 40$+++ for 2 or 3 tabs now?

Also everyone loves pictures, so here are my 2 shitheads (They dont go outside, just a nice open window photo)

also yes i know they are fat, we are working on it ;(

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pollyanna posted:

I've been wanting to get Jet CATSTONED for a while, but none of the lovely pet store catnip works well. I ordered some matatabi off of Amazon and I'll see if this helps him go nuts :)

I've tried those and they did nothing, but I have a stupid cat that appears to be immune to all known :catdrugs:

In the 2nd photo you can just barely make out a small spot of thinning hair above her right eyebrow. She has a habit of scratching that spot with her foot, and I've noticed the spot seems to be getting balder in the past few weeks. Is this common? Should I take her to the vet?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

I've tried those and they did nothing, but I have a stupid cat that appears to be immune to all known :catdrugs:

In the 2nd photo you can just barely make out a small spot of thinning hair above her right eyebrow. She has a habit of scratching that spot with her foot, and I've noticed the spot seems to be getting balder in the past few weeks. Is this common? Should I take her to the vet?

Separated at birth.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Triplets!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Look at all those black fluffballs.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Vastyr posted:

Does anyone know WTF is up with tapeworm tabs lately? I used to get them 3$/pop ~ and it seems like now they are WAYYYYY expensive. Any hot tips or am I stuck paying 40$+++ for 2 or 3 tabs now?

Well one of the big US manufacturers, Petlabs, stopped making it this year. Their med (or some pill part) supplier ran out for months, then offered to sell the med at a way higher price, so the manufacturer discontinued. now it's just prescription which should be cheap at a vet, or Bayer through Petsmart.

Source: I work at a store that used to carry them, and after months of "soon we'll have it back" I phoned their support line and was told all this as a store rep, instead of a customer.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh my, look at those handsome cat bellies!

Vastyr
Jul 23, 2013

Culex posted:

Well one of the big US manufacturers, Petlabs, stopped making it this year. Their med (or some pill part) supplier ran out for months, then offered to sell the med at a way higher price, so the manufacturer discontinued. now it's just prescription which should be cheap at a vet, or Bayer through Petsmart.

Source: I work at a store that used to carry them, and after months of "soon we'll have it back" I phoned their support line and was told all this as a store rep, instead of a customer.

That explains a lot, thank you. I'll have to hit up the vet then (grumble grumble)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Cat Shaming: A Pair Of Triptychs

Onca has discovered how to open the cupboards under the sink, and has apparently decided that potatoes make the best cat toys. Waking up to find potatoes in unexpected places isn't any less surreal the second time.

Also, I've finally cracked and am getting a second kitten! Waiting for her to be old enough to bring home and living vicariously through breeder photos at the moment:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Tiny Deer posted:

Oh my, look at those handsome cat bellies!

Mine is down w gentle belly rubs (no biting) :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dog owner here. Cats come into the backyard and poop in it, which is fine except that my dog tries to eat it. Is there a reliable and safe way to keep cats out of the backyard?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Mola and Cinder are finally getting along a little better, I think. I caught them sleeping pretty close to each other today, Mola isn't hiding in the cave in the pet tree nearly as much, and the tussles haven't been going on for nearly as long (and are less frequent). Just hoping this keeps up.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Dog owner here. Cats come into the backyard and poop in it, which is fine except that my dog tries to eat it. Is there a reliable and safe way to keep cats out of the backyard?

Not really, unfortunately.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Steve Yun posted:

Seven foot high fences (with cooperation of your neighbors to not stack items they can climb on next to their fences) and daily perimeter sprayings of lemon-juice and vinegar.

But they do sell products at pet supply stores that claim they repel stray cats. Usually they're a type of sand you pour around your fenceline. Not sure on how effective they are but you have to re-apply it whenever it rains and possibly every couple weeks.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 24, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

My cat, Echo, needs to be put down today. She's 10 years old and is suffering from congestive heart failure, caused by dilated cardiomyopathy. It became symptomatic suddenly last night.

Back in 2008, my ex and I found her outside. She was either a stray or lost. We walked by her and gave her a few pets on our way to dinner. She was still there when we came back and was just as friendly and excited to see us. We took her in, looked for a potential owner (posted signs in the area and everything) and got her tuned up at the vet. We named her Echo because she'd always chirp back a happy meow to anything we'd say to her. She was with me for some of the bigger changes in my life - moving across the country, new job, meeting wife. She was sweet and loving and happy and was a constant in that way that only a good pet can be.

About three years ago I had to send her to live with my parents as my spouse's family is allergic to cats. They treat her like a queen. My baby daughter loves to see her during FaceTime with the grandparents and even knows her name. I feel terrible about not being there to hold her one last time. She's in an oxygen box now - the doctors are trying to keep her in good shape until my family gets there. I hope she's not in pain.

Here are the only pictures I have of her from work. Rest are at home on some portable HD.

I miss her. I don't have much else to say. Sorry to be a downer.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I have a rescue kitty I *love* - she's bright and active and playful, and had a super hard life (the shelter got her after she was run over in a parking lot, then she gave birth to a litter while in recovery from that, then thanks to all of the above her spaying went wrong and she was in heat for 3 months straight until we finally got it sorted out). The only things wrong:

1) she likes to take flying leaps at our bird cage. it's a huge cage so all it really does is frustrate the cat as she hangs on it going "what now", the birds are only mildly disturbed by the sight of Hanging Cat. Regardless I'm getting a proximity shock collar for her anyway to train her not to leap at the birds and

2) thinking she needs a cat friend. Yes, she owns the house and patrols it regularly and graciously allows my wife and I to live in it, but still thinking she needs a cat bud for when we're not around to torment.

She's an adult cat - should we get a kitten or another adult cat? Or is it already too late and I have condemned this adorable kitteh to a life forever alone leaping at bird cages and getting mild electric shocks?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ruggan posted:

My cat, Echo, needs to be put down today. She's 10 years old and is suffering from congestive heart failure, caused by dilated cardiomyopathy. It became symptomatic suddenly last night.

Back in 2008, my ex and I found her outside. She was either a stray or lost. We walked by her and gave her a few pets on our way to dinner. She was still there when we came back and was just as friendly and excited to see us. We took her in, looked for a potential owner (posted signs in the area and everything) and got her tuned up at the vet. We named her Echo because she'd always chirp back a happy meow to anything we'd say to her. She was with me for some of the bigger changes in my life - moving across the country, new job, meeting wife. She was sweet and loving and happy and was a constant in that way that only a good pet can be.

About three years ago I had to send her to live with my parents as my spouse's family is allergic to cats. They treat her like a queen. My baby daughter loves to see her during FaceTime with the grandparents and even knows her name. I feel terrible about not being there to hold her one last time. She's in an oxygen box now - the doctors are trying to keep her in good shape until my family gets there. I hope she's not in pain.

Here are the only pictures I have of her from work. Rest are at home on some portable HD.

I am so sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Ruggan posted:

I'm really sorry. She looks really happy and cat-like (=double happy) in the pics. She's obviously very loved.