Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
*lures a half dozen ai retards into a choke point, shoots them all as they mill around aimlessly*

"actually im a genius"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate that I'm going to have to wait until the winter sale for this. I hope the XCOM Squad makes a comeback though. :v:

Also watching Beaglerush stream and I'm actually really digging the art style. It seems to have come together nicely! Sean Bean does a great job too.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
should I get this game if I deeply regretted buying civ v at release but enjoyed it after the expansion

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I just got a culture victory out of the blue while aiming for a science once. I have no idea how that happened.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

should I get this game if I deeply regretted buying civ v at release but enjoyed it after the expansion

I think this game is comparable to Civ V with expansions, but with some release issues and a few weird problems here and there. Very good, in my opinion, but hopefully a post-release patch or two will come soon to polish a few areas. I don't regret my preorder, personally.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Depends on what you regretted about civ 5. It's pretty buggy and turns are starting taking a long time for me around the renaissance era. Basically it's a typical Firaxis release.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it feels like a refined civ v + expansions if that's what you mean, there's religions(plus a religious victory) and culture involves tourism and filling your museums with fancy things

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Away all Goats posted:

Depends on what you regretted about civ 5. It's pretty buggy and turns are starting taking a long time for me around the renaissance era. Basically it's a typical Firaxis release.

mostly the fact that the basic mechanics were pretty degenerate (early civ v had ICS as a dominant strategy) and the only way to make the game challenging also increased the bullshit level enough to make the game unfun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

mostly the fact that the basic mechanics were pretty degenerate (early civ v had ICS as a dominant strategy) and the only way to make the game challenging also increased the bullshit level enough to make the game unfun

I would wait.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Mechanics are really good. Lot of V's expansion stuff is just in (like religion, except now there's a religious victory and more to do with religion), and other mechanics have been expanded, like the stuff with districts.

Challenge, people are admittedly having variable quality there (some are getting murdered even on lower difficulties, others occasionally have the AI just mill around), but it at least seems better than V on release.

Still, waiting could be prudent. Like I said, I'm having fun, but other people are having concerns.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There really is no way to remove districts is there? I just accidentally blocked off the only aqueduct tile with a commerce district.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Eej posted:

There really is no way to remove districts is there? I just accidentally blocked off the only aqueduct tile with a commerce district.

I think it uses up a builder charge? Never actually tried it myself but I know they have a bulldoze icon

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It makes me irrationally upset that districts are just cookie cutter textures that don't relate to the status (city center/another district/woodlands) of the tile next to them. It should be like Endless Legend where they meld together to form what actually looks like a city with various districts, instead of a tiny city, and then a university in the wilderness, and then an isolated harbor on the coast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trajan just declared a joint war against me.

With myself.

Qin Shi Huang just showed up, to declare war on me, Qin Shi Huang, with Trajan. There is no other Chinese AI on the diplomacy screen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lost my retainer posted:

I just got a culture victory out of the blue while aiming for a science once. I have no idea how that happened.

I was just about to post that there's no real lead-up towards a victory, huh? I got a Culture Victory too, seemingly out of nowhere

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

Trajan just declared a joint war against me.

With myself.

Qin Shi Huang just showed up, to declare war on me, Qin Shi Huang, with Trajan. There is no other Chinese AI on the diplomacy screen.

Pretty sure that happens when someone declares a joint war against you with someone you haven't met. I posted earlier about that happening to me as Saladin; Tomyris declared war on me with Gilgamesh, except I hadn't met Gilgamesh yet so while the subtitles talked about the wrath of Sumer and whatnot I saw Saladin angrily waving his arms instead.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Finished my first game today. Japan on king, won on turn 297 with a culture win. The pacing of earning new techs and civics compared to whats happening in the game needs to be adjusted. Also echo a few of the posts here that production is really the limiting factor in cities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And here I just thought I'd entered the warring states period.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Pretty sure that happens when someone declares a joint war against you with someone you haven't met. I posted earlier about that happening to me as Saladin; Tomyris declared war on me with Gilgamesh, except I hadn't met Gilgamesh yet so while the subtitles talked about the wrath of Sumer and whatnot I saw Saladin angrily waving his arms instead.

It is that, it happened to me the same way. Only I declared war on myself the turn after peacing out of that war.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Polyakov posted:

I declared war on myself

Oh Firaxis.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eej posted:

Not that I have seen.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I took Gorgo's capital, then got her to cede it in the peace treaty. Then she rang me up and talked about what a little bitch I am, conceding like that.

Echoing the issues with production relative to science/culture. I'm going to have to play as Barbarossa next, just put a production district everywhere, with overlapping factories and so on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
King Food has been deposed...

Long live King Production!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
After playing this for most of the day it feels like a bit of a one step forward and one step back situation. I like some of the improvements, the civics and government stuff is fun and interesting(although perhaps balanced badly). I like how wonders are on the map and can have adjacency/map effects, but it feels like most wonders have been nerfed significantly and aren't necessarily worth building instead of having improvements. I don't feel like warfare has changed much for most of the game, and the movement changes make you slower and less mobile which personally I don't find as fun. However the UI is so much worse than in Civ V that it's hindering my enjoyment quite a bit, I don't know what they were thinking with it honestly. Once they fix up the balancing a bit, and work on the UI a lot I'll probably play it some more.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Do roads disappear if you stop using that trade route?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Away all Goats posted:

Do roads disappear if you stop using that trade route?

Nope. In fact I've been deliberately choosing new routes for my traders when my current ones expire to make new roads for free.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sorry if this has been asked, I haven't been following the thread since I started actually playing, but do units keep their unique bonuses as they upgrade? IE Eagle warriors continuing to capture builders?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think it varies. Legions definitely seem to keep their building abilities.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Is multiplayer not working for anyone else?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Requiring a trader to build all roads is a little bullshit. Internal roads should build automatically, but incrementally, i think.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Requiring a trader to build all roads is a little bullshit. Internal roads should build automatically, but incrementally, i think.

You can build roads with a Military Engineer.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Also every time I open the Civilopedia I keep clicking on [Getting Started] instead of the Search box. For some reason my brain keeps wanting to think that the inverted color box signifies the search box, not the blue box with white text.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
^ You aren't doing anything wrong. It's the devs fault.

Zeron posted:

After playing this for most of the day it feels like a bit of a one step forward and one step back situation. I like some of the improvements, the civics and government stuff is fun and interesting(although perhaps balanced badly). I like how wonders are on the map and can have adjacency/map effects, but it feels like most wonders have been nerfed significantly and aren't necessarily worth building instead of having improvements. I don't feel like warfare has changed much for most of the game, and the movement changes make you slower and less mobile which personally I don't find as fun. However the UI is so much worse than in Civ V that it's hindering my enjoyment quite a bit, I don't know what they were thinking with it honestly. Once they fix up the balancing a bit, and work on the UI a lot I'll probably play it some more.

Civ V is to Civ IV as SimCity 2013 is to SimCity 4.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

KyloWinter posted:

Is multiplayer not working for anyone else?

I didn't have any issues with playing a game earlier today

Also, I think my biggest issue is that I keep getting over aggressive trying to take out barb camps and that leads to me getting wrecked. Should I just be ignoring the camps until I have a strong army or is aggression actually the right tactic

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are wonders no longer unique or something? I had multiple notifications that someone built Stonehedge throughout the game.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The Glumslinger posted:

I didn't have any issues with playing a game earlier today

Also, I think my biggest issue is that I keep getting over aggressive trying to take out barb camps and that leads to me getting wrecked. Should I just be ignoring the camps until I have a strong army or is aggression actually the right tactic

Ya. I played earlier but it's not working now. Who knows.

Who are you getting wrecked by? Barbs? CPU? Humans? What difficulty?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Are wonders no longer unique or something? I had multiple notifications that someone built Stonehedge throughout the game.

Wonder notifications (and a couple other things) will stick around until you manually dismiss them with right click

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zeron posted:

Playing China, building the pyramids to get five uses per builder plus a free builder lets you basically build any wonder you want within a handful of turns, it's even more broken on longer games.

If you do that and then pick up the policy that gives you +2 builder uses, you get seven charges per builder, which you can expend for 105% total production on a wonder, which means you can build any classical/ancient wonder for the price of 1 builder which you can then cut using the cheap builder policy, and then seven turns to bang on it with a hammer.

It's possibly a little bit broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Playing China, building the pyramids to get five uses per builder plus a free builder lets you basically build any wonder you want within a handful of turns, it's even more broken on longer games.

If you do that and then pick up the policy that gives you +2 builder uses, you get seven charges per builder, which you can expend for 105% total production on a wonder, which means you can build any classical/ancient wonder for the price of 1 builder which you can then cut using the cheap builder policy, and then seven turns to bang on it with a hammer.

It's possibly a little bit broken.

Civilization 6: Beyond Earth 2