Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cowman posted:

I have an old 1999 Subaru Legacy SUS Sedan and I love it, however it's over 170k miles and right now the steering wheel is shaking and the car is curving to the right. I took it to a mechanic and they said it was the tire rod and replaced it but it's still doing that. I mentioned it to a coworker who works on cars and he mentioned it might be the tire. He said to look for a bulge and I think I saw one however I'm not sure. I took a look at the tire pressure and it was a tiny bit lower than the others so I bumped it up a little bit but I doubt that did anything. I will say that the tires are getting pretty worn and I was thinking about replacing them so I hope it's the tire and I'm just missing the bulge. I took some pictures but I figure the bulge would be obvious and I don't think they're that helpful.

If it is actually the tires, where's a good place to order them? I'm in SE Tennessee so snow is possible but not likely. Rain is a big possibility and problem since the roads are so curvy and poorly maintained (potholes everywhere). I'll probably take it to the dealer sometime this weekend since there's an old recall on the front suspension that was never taken care of so I'll get them to inspect it.

On a different note, what are some good/necessary modifications/upgrades for this car? The transmission is pretty rough and slow to shift and I read something about the head gasket on older subarus needing a specific replacement and I don't know if my car is included. I'm also extremely new at working on cars, the biggest thing I've done is replace the alternator which was pretty easy, before that it was just replacing tires. I want this car to last me a while and I really adore it and had fun replacing the alternator since it was so easy. I don't have anything more than some sockets and a jack so I'm not going to be able to do anything underneath the car. It's got 170k miles so I'm not looking to put in thousands of dollars but stuff that's good to replace for maintenance/efficiency purposes would be good to know.

Can't see any bulges in the tire(s) but it's still possible. Your ball joints are probably toast though is my guess. They can be a bitch to replace it is the pinch bolt style. At that point I'd just take off the knuckle and take it to a machine shop unless you have a torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Gabby_Jay posted:

What kind of area is Chullora? Could they get an inordinate number of hoons wanting to test WRXes they can't afford? Can't think of too many reasons why they'd be such hardasses, other than the owner is an arsehole.

Having said that I'd buy one from somewhere else, then stop by and show them my new car...

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I've got a 2010 Outback sport that sounds like the Jetson's car when its cold. High pitched spaceman car sounds that are the same volume but of increasing frequency as I rev the motor. Does it in neutral, does it in gear, makes no difference. I popped the hood the other morning and listened to it for a minute. I feel like its coming from the pulley for the A/C compressor, just to the driver side of the alternator. Is that actually possible, or should I be looking elsewhere? Can I get just the pulley, or do I have to rip out the whole A/C compressor unit? Car has 91k miles and is on the original timing belt. EJ253 with a 5 speed.

daslog posted:

Did Subaru still use those lovely plastic idler pulleys on the AC compressor on the 2010s? If they did, then replace it.

I'll take a look, but when I looked in the user manual I think what I saw was that the A/C compressor had its own belt also driven off the crankshaft. But then there would have to be a way to tension it so... I'll try to look when I can, but its dark and cold out right now and its not pressing so. whiskey.

Incidentally, I was looking at pics of my long lost 2011 STi today. If only they will get rid of the EJ257 and give me a wagon again. A man can dream.

At PPIHC:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A/C belt is stretch fit on newer EJs, no idler/tensioner. FA/FB has one belt driving everything so there is a tensioner and a few idlers probably.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 19, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Incidentally, I was looking at pics of my long lost 2011 STi today. If only they will get rid of the EJ257 and give me a wagon again. A man can dream.

Well... they have done both but you can only have it with a CVT.

gently caress YOU SUBARU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
huh? The sti still has the EJ, the wrx with the FA is still available in manual.

And I am hearing that the new engine has weak rods, likes to rev even less than the ej, and has worse flowing heads.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

huh? The sti still has the EJ, the wrx with the FA is still available in manual.

And I am hearing that the new engine has weak rods, likes to rev even less than the ej, and has worse flowing heads.

Hes talking about the Levorg.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Levorg.

I hope it fails spectaclarly until Subaru gets a loving clue and puts any other gearbox in.

Edit : Wait..... Levorg backwards is Grovel? There's a joke about pleading for a real geabox in there

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

How can this be when CAD and fluid flow analysis programs exist vs when the EJ came out? That's pretty sad.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

Gabby_Jay posted:

What kind of area is Chullora? Could they get an inordinate number of hoons wanting to test WRXes they can't afford? Can't think of too many reasons why they'd be such hardasses, other than the owner is an arsehole.

I bought mine from a dealer that's 1/2 mile from a university campus. I work at a tech company, so I'm paid well, but wear t-shirts and jeans and look slobby and all that. They were being assholes about taking a test drive and kept asking things like "how serious are you about buying the car?" The answer was "I've wanted this car since before I could drive and before it was available in the USA and I just walked away from another dealer because of terrible show room experience, so I'm dead serious about buying it." They kept being dicks about it, so I told them they could run a credit check if they'd like, but I was walking out in two minutes, which did the trick.

They said they get kids coming down from the college wanting to drive WRXes and GTIs from the VW side of the lot, so I understand why they do it, but way to start off on the wrong foot. Ultimately, I'm happy they're like that, because prior to me taking the test drive, the odometer only showed 5 miles.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Well, my Impreza went through a quart of oil in 300 miles. I was due for an oil change today anyway, so I cleaned off everything to make any leak in the bay easier to track, and took it in expecting that they wuldn't be able to pinpoint exactly where the leak was, blah blah blah.

Instead, it turns out that the tech had added some fluorescein to the oil last time, remembered the car (which was good, since it wasn't written down anywhere and he hadn't told me), so he was able too see pretty much immediately that I don't have an oil leak, I have three: both valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket. Good times. Mystery solved, at least.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Test drove a '17 wrx. gently caress, if they don't put this engine in a brz they are more retarded than we all think.

Lovely car and I will probably buy one.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Laserface posted:

gently caress, if they don't put this engine in a Crosstrek they are more retarded than we all think.
My stance on the issue. If Cadillac only needed to sell 37 CTS-V wagons in order to make up the development costs, I would think Subaru would make money on on a CrossWRX even as a niche market.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pretty sure Subaru does not want to divert sales away from the wrx or other mainstream cars. They seem to just be meeting demand and want to make sure that the cost with scaling are justified. Also, Toyota may not be on board either. I have no idea though, just speculation.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They are sitting on this generations s13. Thats it. Just sitting there with it. But they wont do more.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I've heard somewhere that Toyota won't let Subaru drop the FA20F/FA20DIT into the BRZ because Toyota don't have an equivalent engine and they don't want the "BRZ STi" (or whatever they'd call it) stealing sales from the 86.

I have no idea where I read/heard that though so take with a liberal amount of salt. With the silliness they've done like the Levorg being CVT-only, Subaru might just be making poor choices.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I would hope there is only a fixed term contract for parity, and that after a certain date they can freely turn the car into whatever they want. It would be sad to see the platform remain stagnant for it's whole life.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Why not just let Toyota market it as a TRD?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toyota doesn't want to make anything too exciting these days. The FT is almost too much for them as it is.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
The gas mileage on my 2006 OBXT is pretty crap. I'm running an up pipe, down pipe (with cats), EBC, fuel pump (DeatschWerks DW65) and Accessport V3. It's been dynotuned after the installs, as well, with about 18 PSI peak. I started off with about 18-19 MPG in the city, but I'm down to about 15-16 currently, which seems kind of low for what's running.

I have a bluetooth OBD2 scanner and have been running Torque Pro for shits and giggles. My A/F stays about 14.5 at idle and then goes between about 12 at WOT to 20 when shifting, which seems about normal. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Is my foot just too heavy or something? I've been considering taking it in for a retune, but I'm not even sure what to look for as far as potential problems, or even if there are any issues.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What's AFR at cruise?

The EJ never really was great for fuel economy but that sounds worse than I'd expect.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Larrymer posted:

What's AFR at cruise?

The EJ never really was great for fuel economy but that sounds worse than I'd expect.

Yeah, I know it's a thirsty engine. I was just hoping it'd be better than an old pickup. Cruise tends to sit between 14-15, I think. I'm at the office now, but I'll take it out later and get some readings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That sounds a lot like my LGT's pure city economy though lots of cold starts and love of the go pedal.
Still gets ok FE cruising on the highway. I'd be curious what happens if you stick it on cruise control at 65 for an hour or ao.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hell, I get 27 highway, but 15 city (drat 2 mile commute) on a tune+turboback 2004 WRX. those LGT numbers don't sound super off to me. A friend in a similarly modded '04 STI gets about the same.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
I'm gonna go try and get some cruising AF numbers in a bit, but would the mods and tune cause a 3 MPG drop on their own? This is my first turbo Subaru, but I had a well tuned turbo Honda (leave me alone!) and it managed to keep the same efficiency before and after boosting. Am I just comparing apples to rice maybe?

This is making me feel like I don't need to run out and throw the car on the dyno right away, at least...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My buddies 14 WRX with tune, Cai and turbo back will only get over 15mpg if he never, ever takes it over 4k.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cheezit posted:

I'm gonna go try and get some cruising AF numbers in a bit, but would the mods and tune cause a 3 MPG drop on their own? This is my first turbo Subaru, but I had a well tuned turbo Honda (leave me alone!) and it managed to keep the same efficiency before and after boosting. Am I just comparing apples to rice maybe?

This is making me feel like I don't need to run out and throw the car on the dyno right away, at least...

Weird question: are you on stock sized tires and if not, did you change at the same time. I have to mentally adjust my readings up because I have non standard wheels.

A tune itself won't change the MPGs unless you are in the boost a lot. However, it is common to use the boost more after tuning (because fun), which reduces actual mileage.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

nm posted:

Weird question: are you on stock sized tires and if not, did you change at the same time. I have to mentally adjust my readings up because I have non standard wheels.

A tune itself won't change the MPGs unless you are in the boost a lot. However, it is common to use the boost more after tuning (because fun), which reduces actual mileage.

Yep, stock suspension and wheels. I'm not in positive boost that often. Ehrm, at least, I don't try to keep my foot down constantly....I rarely take it above 3500-4k. I mean, Chicago traffic...

I guess if my biggest complaint is a drop in MPG, it could be worse...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 09 wrx with Cobb st 1 gets about 27 hwy, 22 around town. The 16 wrx gets about 22 around town and as much as 35 hwy if I am careful. Do you have a roof rack? Bare bars drop my hwy to about 25 alone.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My 09 wrx with Cobb st 1 gets about 27 hwy, 22 around town. The 16 wrx gets about 22 around town and as much as 35 hwy if I am careful. Do you have a roof rack? Bare bars drop my hwy to about 25 alone.

I actually do have a roof rack! I hadn't thought that could drop the MPG that much. I'll take it off and see if it comes back up at all.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

cheezit posted:

I actually do have a roof rack! I hadn't thought that could drop the MPG that much. I'll take it off and see if it comes back up at all.

I just have the OEM crossbars on my '13 WRX hatch and I have a combined 22 with a torqued performance Stage1 tune on 50/50 highway/city commutes. Running 80 on the interstate that drops to 19.

Unfortunately, at 66k I'm getting a little puff of blue smoke on a cold start which really has me worried about ringlands. Eric at Torqued did me three revisions on that OTS tune and I check fairly often, so I'm confident that it's not running lean. Still worrisome though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nm posted:

That sounds a lot like my LGT's pure city economy though lots of cold starts and love of the go pedal.
Still gets ok FE cruising on the highway. I'd be curious what happens if you stick it on cruise control at 65 for an hour or ao.

I've been driving my old man's bone stock '10 auto LGT a bit lately and I've been extremely impressed with the economy given the size and performance of the car - even around town it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

I've been driving my old man's bone stock '10 auto LGT a bit lately and I've been extremely impressed with the economy given the size and performance of the car - even around town it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

My old mans 05 GT (5spd) is ridiculous too, and I was flooring that thing everywhere (sweet EJ20T rally whines all day)

Mums 02 Outback is pretty standard tho, just has a big rear end tank.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

MCM did a thing apparently.

Baja Sport?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Update on my outback sport making space ship sounds: I think the alternator is going. It sounds to me like the high pitched whining / whirring is coming from there. It follows with engine speed if someone taps the throttle while I listen for it. Its significantly louder in cold weather.

Could this be the alternator or am I off base?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Relevant http://m.imgur.com/a/YYtIM

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Does anyone here use freeSSM? I have a VCDS cable that I was able to change the driver so that I could use it as a general serial port pass through but I cant seem to get freessm to connect. Is there something I need to change in the port settings? Ive tried a bunch of stuff so far with no success. I have a screenshot of the default settings. TIA for any help

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Does anyone here use freeSSM? I have a VCDS cable that I was able to change the driver so that I could use it as a general serial port pass through but I cant seem to get freessm to connect. Is there something I need to change in the port settings? Ive tried a bunch of stuff so far with no success. I have a screenshot of the default settings. TIA for any help

Not sure I can help too much. I just plugged one of those eBay vagcom cables into my junk Thinkpad and got it to work with the default settings.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea worst case I'll get one of those cheapo ebay cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea worst case I'll get one of those cheapo ebay cables.

Just do that. There are a bunch of USB to serial chipsets running around and they can be weirdly particular about how they work with software.