Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Spellman posted:

I had some normal people at my house tonight, was surprised when one of them brought up the Switch

what if they are secretly abnormal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

you never know what people are doing behind doors, late at night. these sick fucks could be wondering about the battery life of nintendos latest console

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they need to plan how far into their rooftop bbq they should wait to signal the quirky girl in the next building to drop by with her switch so that the system doesn't die before its time for smores

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

reiley will you teach me the smash and pokken ways when they are on switch?

play pokken with me instead

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

The plus versions are 1080p, at 5.5in., and I'm guessing this thing is going to be more in line with a small tablet than a big phone. I'm not necessarily saying it's a fatal flaw, but if they do go lower rez I hope they at least go OLED or something.

E: BEATEN LIKE NINTENDO IN ALMOST EVERY CONSOLE GENERATION SINCE THE LATE 90S

It's going to be 6.2 inches, IPS LCD, 720p. That's a PPI of ~236, with general concensus being that 300 is where you don't need to go higher for general use. So it's not exactly a Retina screen, but it's most likely going to look good enough that boosting the resolution wouldn't be worth the trade-off in framerate and battery life. Agreed on the OLED though, it's a shame they aren't going that way.

Also, FWIW, the Vita has a PPI of ~220, and I think that looks very sharp.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how many games on android/ios are even rendered natively above 720p, X1/PS4 games barely crack 800p

like i'm choosing my next video card and i'm probably getting the low end 1050ti that comes out on the 25th and that card is like "don't expect to game above 1080p." i feel like unless you're a super PC nerd you probably haven't actually experienced what super-HD gaming looks like to be able to know the difference when you see a game on the Switch screen

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 22, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Quest For Glory II posted:

how many games on android/ios are even rendered natively above 720p, X1/PS4 games barely crack 800p

I think most PS4 games are 1080p, actually. 900p is generally the lowest they go.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

It's going to be 6.2 inches, IPS LCD, 720p. That's a PPI of ~236, with general concensus being that 300 is where you don't need to go higher for general use. So it's not exactly a Retina screen, but it's most likely going to look good enough that boosting the resolution wouldn't be worth the trade-off in framerate and battery life. Agreed on the OLED though, it's a shame they aren't going that way.

Also, FWIW, the Vita has a PPI of ~220, and I think that looks very sharp.
The retina MacBooks are around 220 too btw. The retina thing has to do with viewing distance, it's not a hard number...in any case it should be fine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

I think most PS4 games are 1080p, actually. 900p is generally the lowest they go.
looking at a list, you're right. there are games like Watch Dogs, AC Syndicate & Uninty, Battlefield 4, the MP for Uncharted 4 and Killzone that hit 900p, so there are some notable games

Xbox One is where you really see it, some games that are 720p in fact, like Dead Rising 3, and Ground Zeroes, Battlefront, BF4

I think the Switch games will look really fuckin good on that screen, if it even comes close to X1's detail, let alone with Nintendo's own first party games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It'll definitely have a touchscreen, because how could they not rerelease Mario Maker on it?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

reiley will you teach me the smash and pokken ways when they are on switch?

I would be happy to.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Lizard Wizard posted:

It'll definitely have a touchscreen, because how could they not rerelease Mario Maker on it?

Nintendo will certainly rerelease Mario Maker.

They'll port it to the iPad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like the touch screen on both the 3DS and the Wii U so I am hopeful the Switch will keep that up. It's cool to tap icons and stuff.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can't attach the controllers to make the screen a vertical shmup machine, can you?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SelenicMartian posted:

You can't attach the controllers to make the screen a vertical shmup machine, can you?

There's no grooves on the top and bottom sides from what I can tell, so probably not!

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's no grooves on the top and bottom sides from what I can tell, so probably not!

that was just a prop, not the actual device

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Holy poo poo we are going to hold vidcons in our actual hands Charles Barkley was right.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

pretty sure the switch is for sexy 20-something hipsters??? at roof parties??

im sexy 20 something but afraid of heights

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This thread was better when it wasn't about battery life and everyone talking about how normal people actually behave.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does the Nintendo Switch have a "bagel" setting?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

a.lo posted:

im sexy 20 something but afraid of heights

Don't worry, you will be able to give a party in your gooncave. Nintendo got you covered but they did not want to diluite the message.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Pretty clever of Apple about giving Nintendo rights for using their attachable joypad patents in exchange of a few iTunes games (and probably other monetary arrangments as well).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
But the battery! It's 2016! Why can't it do 4K and play Battlefield 1????

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

But the battery! It's 2016! Why can't it do 4K and play Battlefield 1????

Do you want to murder people like Samsung and note 7 batteries?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bloodysabbath posted:

the Wii audience has moved on to iPhones and IPads

this is really, genuinely nonsense. phone gaming is still an afterthought. the olds nintendo sold wiis too are just still playing wii.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going to have to make a video compilation of all the youtube commentors who mistook Link's arrowtime mechanic as slowdown on the tablet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mobile gaming has already had its boom and bubble burst, now it's just there, extant, for some VERY FEW developers to cash in bigtime (mostly using predatory tactics) and for most to fail and shutter

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Another new day for me to be excited about the Nintendo Switch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

elf help book posted:

Another new day for me to be excited about the Nintendo Switch.

:yeah:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All I'm saying is the Switch better have a Metroid game.

And it better be a METROID game and none of this Federation Force or THE BABY nonsense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also Blast Corps 2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

And it better be a METROID game and none of this Federation Force or THE BABY nonsense.

if it doesn't feature games from every major nintendo IP then the entire idea of merging their platforms would be kind of pointless

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a zero percent chance that it won't have a touch screen

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Infinitum posted:

Accept that Metroid died with Retro, much like Diddy Kong Racing died with Rare.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo has been waiting this whole time to bring back Devil World.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm here for Spla2n

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lizard Wizard posted:

You'll just hook up a USB mouse to it in my dream world

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

HyperPuma posted:

normal people dont even know that nintendo is making a new console

A coworker was telling me yesterday about how he thought the Switch looked amazing and he was one of the few people I didn't show it off to already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anidav posted:

Accept that Metroid died with Retro, much like Diddy Kong Racing died with Rare.

Anidav

Friend

Mate

Buddy

Unless you know something the rest of the world doesn't, Retro Studios is very much alive

• Locked thread