Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

God. I wish I hasn't left "Hatred of the Nation" until last. This is easily the worst episode of the bunch.

Whoever said it felt like an episode of Dr.Who is right.

...and it's long. Why is it such a long episode? It's so stupid. :(

https://youtu.be/-1GadTfGFvU :v:

E: Finished it, It just kept getting stupider. The whole thing watched like a bad parody of Black Mirror or an awful Syfy original.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I considered the ending of Shut Up and Dance during that scene people have mentioned at the beginning, but then totally forgot about that with everything else going on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snuffman posted:

God. I wish I hasn't left "Hatred of the Nation" until last. This is easily the worst episode of the bunch.

no loving kidding. i don't know what the hell they were thinking with that one. the internet dogpile thing is a rich vein for social commentary but what the gently caress do robot bees have to do with any of that and holy poo poo what an awful awful direction to go in.

edit: lol i just go to the part about 1/3 of the way through where they spend like 20 minutes explaining all the idiotic minutiae about the robobees.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 22, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shut Up and Dance is probably the single most mortifying episode of television I've ever seen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Daedalus1134 posted:

Most likely Uncanny Valley. I thought the same thing.
That's it, you nailed it! The parallels are way too on the nose to not notice. Also, I think that's a reupload because I'm confident I saw it well over a year ago and that's only 10 months old.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finished Hated in the Nation

Yeah it wasn't amazing. I still enjoyed it though - I have a weakness for the bombastic so as stupid as the bee thing was it was pretty entertaining. Definitely one of the weakest episodes both of the season and the show. I still liked it better than Playtest, and the Waldo Moment remains the shittiest episode of the whole show.

Overall the season was pretty great! I think it held its own with the other seasons.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Could somebody tell me what the first little scene in the Dance episode that made the twist a little bit darker?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lampsacus posted:

Could somebody tell me what the first little scene in the Dance episode that made the twist a little bit darker?

Where he gives the little girl the toy when he was working at the restaurant

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Most under 4.5 in the first
Despite all the casual fiving,
Probably because you can rate
Other people's driving

Edit: oh I was right

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 22, 2016

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Loved Nosedive

Thought Playtest was ok

The 'would you kindly' in Playtest is most definitely a Bioshock reference as mentioned in this neat article about the ep. There are a ton of other video game easter eggs in the ep as well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/black-mirror-playtest-horrific-take-on-hololens-gaming-w446236

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Playtest:

Am I the only one who instinctively reached for their phone when it first played the interference sound? I get that on my headphones all the drat time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

San Junipero:

The 80s-ish blinking lights in the room full of computers at the end, endlessly doing a little blinky dance :unsmith:

Men Against Fire:

I don't think it was terrible, but I'd agree it's the weakest so far. You know the twist just a little too early, then officially learn the twist, then there's too much denouement.. It's still really well made, though, and well-acted, and even if it's a bit heavy-handed, it is an important message, I think.

Onto the last one!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Holy poo poo I just watched San Junipero it made me cry. :( Goddamn that was a good episode. Episode 4 I would totally loving do this , yes upload my mind

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 22, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Having had more time to digest the season, I wanted to address this post:

Escobarbarian posted:

My main issue with San Junipero is that it makes a really strong argument for why she chooses not to live there forever, with all the stuff about her dead husband, but then she just does anyway? With nothing shown to change her mind, she just isn't doing it and then is yay the end?

Honestly I think you're dead wrong, but I do understand where you're coming from. If you believe that her last conversation with Yorkie is really her getting angry at Yorkie for suggesting that she do what her husband didn't and her daughter couldn't, then yes her change of heart in the end might seem strange. I really don't think that's the right interpretation though. She's not actually angry at Yorkie, she's angry at herself. There's no more stuff to change her mind because they already established earlier exactly the emotions she's dealing with - here at the very end of her life when she was all set and ready to die and cease existing, she discovers something she wants so much that she doesn't know what to do. Her anger at Yorkie is just another version of what she did earlier by running away and hiding from her. She couldn't bear to face the fact that she'd fallen in love again and wanted to keep living. To do so felt like a betrayal of her husband and daughter, but it didn't change the fact that she really really wanted to.

Her angry speech to Yorkie didn't ring true to me. It didn't make me go "oh this is how she truly feels" it made me go "this is how she still thinks she has to feel and is trying to remind herself of that". It's followed up with her driving angrily away and crashing her car, all of which screams to me that deep down she feels she's making the wrong decision. I don't think we needed a scene showing her changing her mind. The subtext says to me that her mind was already changed, and she had an understandably very hard time accepting it.

I thought it was absolutely brilliantly done and it's easily one of my favorite episodes of the whole show.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

And finished. I though Dance and Junipero were stand outs for the whole show. Playtest was an incredibly solid take on a tired premise. Men against fire and Hated were enjoyable enough. Nosedive is I think the only episode of black mirror where I've been bored. Certainly I haven't liked other episodes, but I've never been bored by them.

It was really nice to watch new black mirror though.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Having had more time to digest the season, I wanted to address this post:

Honestly I think you're dead wrong, but I do understand where you're coming from. If you believe that her last conversation with Yorkie is really her getting angry at Yorkie for suggesting that she do what her husband didn't and her daughter couldn't, then yes her change of heart in the end might seem strange. I really don't think that's the right interpretation though. She's not actually angry at Yorkie, she's angry at herself. There's no more stuff to change her mind because they already established earlier exactly the emotions she's dealing with - here at the very end of her life when she was all set and ready to die and cease existing, she discovers something she wants so much that she doesn't know what to do. Her anger at Yorkie is just another version of what she did earlier by running away and hiding from her. She couldn't bear to face the fact that she'd fallen in love again and wanted to keep living. To do so felt like a betrayal of her husband and daughter, but it didn't change the fact that she really really wanted to.

Her angry speech to Yorkie didn't ring true to me. It didn't make me go "oh this is how she truly feels" it made me go "this is how she still thinks she has to feel and is trying to remind herself of that". It's followed up with her driving angrily away and crashing her car, all of which screams to me that deep down she feels she's making the wrong decision. I don't think we needed a scene showing her changing her mind. The subtext says to me that her mind was already changed, and she had an understandably very hard time accepting it.

I thought it was absolutely brilliantly done and it's easily one of my favorite episodes of the whole show.

yeah gently caress you bown i agree with this person.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'm maybe being overcautious with spoiler tags but anyway...

Nosedive was pretty on-the-nose but I think it nails the cloying superficiality and positivity of social media interactions really well, along with the sort of passive-aggressive and exhibitionist jockeying that goes with it. San Junipero is just beautiful; everything about it was just pitch perfect and the uneasy fakeness and rose-tinted nostalgia which initially made me groan about the 80s setting resolved itself nicely once the twist was revealed and let me enjoy beautiful visuals and story without reservation. Shut Up and Dance was really well put together in terms of how the tension and peril escalates throughout even though you might think the stakes are quite low for the protagonist, which then allows it to really gutpunch you at the end when you find out the real reason he's so anxious about it all. Men Against Fire's twist felt telegraphed from the outset and I kept expecting it to subvert it at some point, but it stands up okay for me if only because I agree the gently caress out of what it was trying to say. I've only just started watching episode 6, but it occurs to me that I would be totally down for a Cranky Detective Kelly MacDonald Investigates spinoff show. Playtest was a good concept executed reasonably well, but next to the others it kind of fades away into the background. I do like how it established the protagonist's fears without being too heavyhanded in its foreshadowing and how it did that very Twilight Zone thing of giving the feeling of waking up from one nightmare into another towards the end.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Holy poo poo lol. Hi Charlie :a2m:

Up to San Junipeo, only weak one so far was Playtest. The Brazil ending was super obvious and Cooper is extremely annoying, like a video game reviewer's idea of a cool bro. Shut Up and Dance and San Junipero were both excellent for totally opposite reasons.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I thought the thread title and easter egg were both in reference to this tweet made last year

https://twitter.com/mallelis/status/556560153307148288

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I was going to correct you and say it's from this article, but the tweet is from the same person so, yeah pretty much.

edit, forgot the article
http://the-toast.net/2015/01/20/next-black-mirror/

BSam fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Whoever said it felt like an episode of Dr.Who is right.

...and it's long. Why is it such a long episode? It's so stupid. :(

https://youtu.be/-1GadTfGFvU :v:

E: Finished it, It just kept getting stupider. The whole thing watched like a bad parody of Black Mirror or an awful Syfy original.

Wow. I really disagree with this. First of all it very definitely does not feel like an episode of Doctor Who, in any way. Maybe a little like season 3 of Torchwood, but the bad aspects of Doctor Who involve sloppy sentiment or a rush, whereas this, if anything took way too much time and didn't have a drop of sentiment.

I started disliking it about halfway through, thinking that it was going to just be a tired and exaggerated criticism of Outrage Culture coupled with a deserved but far too on the nose criticism of "National Security" programs that are essentially an excuse to peek in everyone's window, but I think it got far more complicated than that toward the end. There are aspects of it that reminded me of The National Anthem. In terms of the more science fiction-y stuff, it felt a bit like The Birds, in terms of the horror/suspense aspects of it were presented. In Daphne DuMaurier's short story, and, to a lesser extent, the Hitchcock movie, the birds represent a kind of meaningless, unstoppable force that cuts people off from society, sort of summing up some post World War II fears about the bombings. In this instance, the bees are more of a directed swarm, empowered by the network instead of cutting us off from it. Their relentlessness goes well with the un-erasable digital footprints we all have, and how they can come back to haunt us.

BSam posted:

I was going to correct you and say it's from this article, but the tweet is from the same person so, yeah pretty much.

edit, forgot the article
http://the-toast.net/2015/01/20/next-black-mirror/

Of course the title is from Mallory Ortberg, who rivals Charlie himself for funniest writer on the internet. RIP The Toast. :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watched Nosedive and got really bored. Then I watched Playtest and got bored and mad.

I always pictured Black Mirror as looks into dark futures that our society is leading us towards. Nosedive fit the theme but Playtest felt completely out of place. I'm not even sure what lesson they were trying to teach about our society. We don't call our mothers enough?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I've never thought of the show as intended to be prophetic or cautionary morality play so much as inspired by current trends in technology and how they could potentially go awry. Playtest's concept is maybe a bit tried-and-tested by now regardless, but I reckon it's just following the trajectory of trends in contemporary video game development to their logical endpoint rather than prescribing or preaching to the viewer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Black Mirror has one easily-digestible purpose or thesis, especially now with an episode like San Junipero that illustrates the optimistic possibilities of technology and not just the horror.

Some of the episodes are metaphors about the way we already live, some of them are cautionary, and some of them are depicting unlikely worst-case scenarios. Some of them are moralizing and some are more observational.

It's one of the advantages of the anthology format.

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 22, 2016

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just watched Nosedive with the roommate, it was his first exposure to Black Mirror.

He's not doing okay.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Men Against Fire shares its plot twist with the poorly received 2008 FPS game Haze :eng101:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Talorat posted:

Just watched Nosedive with the roommate, it was his first exposure to Black Mirror.

He's not doing okay.

Next up is a 15 Million Merits/White Bear double feature :unsmigghh:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Regy Rusty posted:

Anyway Men Chasing Fire:

Ugh that was devastating. This time around I actually did figure out pretty much the whole twist ahead of time but just seeing it all play out was rough. I don't even know what else to say, there's not the slightest glimmer of hope in that one.

One more to go...

I liked it as well, but yeah the twist is really obvious.

I think it would have worked a lot bit better if instead of 'superior blood' Nazi throwback, it was about immigration/refugees. Nazis and eugenics are just not really topical right now, and they didn't spend enough time really defining a future where it would be such a big deal. However an environmentally struggling Northern Europe keeping 'roaches' out would probably hit harder and make more sense.

Rarity posted:

Next up is a 15 Million Merits/White Bear double feature :unsmigghh:

Yeah those two are excellent. Black mirror in general tends to hit REALLY strongly when dealing with the issues of mob mentality and advanced social tools shaping society.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Shut Up and Dance is probably the single most mortifying episode of television I've ever seen.

The acting was phenomenal but I didn't really get much out of it except everything in the situation sucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't sure what the point of it was at first, but I think the idea is meant to be if 4chan activist internet vigilante types who do stuff like post people's addresses were to go further in their methods.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Escobarbarian posted:

I wasn't sure what the point of it was at first, but I think the idea is meant to be if 4chan activist internet vigilante types who do stuff like post people's addresses were to go further in their methods.

Yeah, basically taking the Lynch mob into the 21st century. No one likes pedos, but there is a reason we have trials and jails instead of just rounding people up and murdering them. That and it is really easy to dehumanize people on the internet on a worldwide scale, and black mirror tends to focus on what happens when you take those actions to the furthest extreme. Hated in the nation is entertaining and pretty heavy handedly does internet hate mob again on a larger scale.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean it was fairly obvious what the real reason was from the very beginning but it was def the white bear of this season.

It was better in execution and maintaining it's theme all the way through They copped out at the end of White Bear by throwing in lines about her just filming the child murder and her being coerced into it by her boyfriend. Instead we saw a cheating shithead and pedophile go through a gantlet of human misery, are thrown one of the biggest release values not to feel bad for the main character but are completely denied the ability to release the tension and horror built up. It stuck to it's guns and was even more depressing and scary because of it.

Troll Face.jpg is now terrifying

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The new series prompted me to finally catch up and oh man, White Bear :(

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Doltos posted:

Watched Nosedive and got really bored. Then I watched Playtest and got bored and mad.

I always pictured Black Mirror as looks into dark futures that our society is leading us towards. Nosedive fit the theme but Playtest felt completely out of place. I'm not even sure what lesson they were trying to teach about our society. We don't call our mothers enough?

How long until we stop doing spoilers? I hate the redacted CIA document look.

Playtest was all about fear as jump scares and monsters, and then adds 'oh yeah and also relationships and adult things can be really scary too', the "lesson" was face your fears. It was just pretty cackhanded in a lot of ways. In Coopers vision it escalates until the company are evil and volunteers die all the time, but then volunteers also die all the time in the real world too, guess they shouldn't have turned their phones on eh, it's just silly.

Honestly I think "we're wiping your mind to turn you into a disposable corporate asset" would have been better. Or even what I was expecting, that Cooper would go to hug his mom and she would plasticate and warp and he'd be stuck never knowing how much he was seeing was real. Neither would be very coherent as an ending but the episode wasn't either honestly.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

How long until we stop doing spoilers? I hate the redacted CIA document look.

about 20 hours away

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I have no idea how you guys binge this.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dugong posted:

I started off as a depressed alcoholic who isn't worth poo poo. This show can bring me lower, but not by much.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dugong posted:

I shot off a status message about this, super keen to binge it this weekend. Watched one episode, loaded up the next and just couldn't click play. I had no idea how much it affected me - this stuff is weird-dark. Like uncanny valley dark. Almost dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

I already hate life