Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Phantasium posted:

It... it still happens guys don't give up on your search.

Are you supposed to pair it with the composite cables?

Dammit I paid $15 for mine :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

drat, son. I avoided paying an arm and a leg for mine because I actually got one when the Gamecube was current. But yeah, you pair it with your AV Multi Out cable of choice for RCA L and R audio, leaving the yellow composite or whatever dangling.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

Yeah Monitor Burn does a great service. Next week when I get paid I will have to do the N64 and NES mods. How big of a jump is component from composite on the NES and N64. Genesis looks amazing in component, but SNES it hard to see too much of a jump, even through it does look a lot nicer.

Direct link:

http://i.imgur.com/mquzVIb.jpg

That's a cell phone snap of SMB1 from my PVM over direct RGB. Component probably wouldn't be too much different.

A digital capture over S-Video from my NESRGB-modded AV Famicom:

TeaJay posted:

Component from the NES? Are you looking for some kind of RGB-Component scaler? Sorry, I'm not too well versed on the connection options available for US folks - I guess that's one thing us europeans got the upper hand with consumer TV's having RGB scart connections basically by default. (don't feel too bad, we give the advantage back with the whole 50hz thing.)

But like I said earlier RGB from the NES looks amazing. I had mine from Monitor Burn as well, or actually the AV Famicom. That thing just rocks.

I believe Rirse's plan is to get his NES modded with the NESRGB board and an SNES-style multi-av out, and then use one of those Retrovision SNES component cables (that adapt raw RGB to component format internally) with it to use it over component video on his TV. There's also the NESRGB daughterboard that converts RGB and adds component output, but that would definitely cost more and involve more work to add the connections for it (if nothing else).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Direct link:

That's a cell phone snap of SMB1 from my PVM over direct RGB. Component probably wouldn't be too much different.

I believe Rirse's plan is to get his NES modded with the NESRGB board and an SNES-style multi-av out, and then use one of those Retrovision SNES component cables (that adapt raw RGB to component format internally) with it to use it over component video on his TV. There's also the NESRGB daughterboard that converts RGB and adds component output, but that would definitely cost more and involve more work to add the connections for it (if nothing else).

Honestly at this point you are better off getting a HiDef NES in a NES/Fami, around the same cost of a RGB mod, more features and you won't require any other hardware to hook it up to a modern TV.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there a good source for NES PCB photos? I've mostly just been opening my cases and saying "Well, no EEPROMs, it's probably legit."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
This is probably what you want, though it doesn't have individual game PCB images unless it's an oddity PCB.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Direct link:

Yeah I would go with the former as I have the SNES component cables. I would be getting the NES and N64 worked on at the same time since they both need a mod to get RGB function.

The NES HDMI does look nice, but I prefer playing these on a crt, which I got a nice one that is the same size as my LCD tv now. I saw what it looks like in motion and it does look great, but it also loses a bit of the charm.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Elliotw2 posted:

This is probably what you want, though it doesn't have individual game PCB images unless it's an oddity PCB.

Yeah, that's the stuff.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

Yeah I would go with the former as I have the SNES component cables. I would be getting the NES and N64 worked on at the same time since they both need a mod to get RGB function.

The NES HDMI does look nice, but I prefer playing these on a crt, which I got a nice one that is the same size as my LCD tv now. I saw what it looks like in motion and it does look great, but it also loses a bit of the charm.

I posted some pics of N64 over component here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1778&perpage=40#post460556034

You'll get noticeably more vibrant colors and harder edges, but the N64 still has that ugly texture filter over everything, so don't expect miracles. Probably worth upgrading from composite, maybe not from s-video though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1778&perpage=40#post460556034

You'll get noticeably more vibrant colors and harder edges, but the N64 still has that ugly texture filter over everything, so don't expect miracles. Probably worth upgrading from composite, maybe not from s-video though.

I have composite right now, but honestly how bad would it be just to get a s-video and just only mod the NES? S-video is only seven bucks compared to the 55 it would cost to mail and mod the N64.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

S-Video is honestly probably good enough for most consoles, N64 even more so.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. I use s-video on my n64 and it looks fine. Monitor Burn modded my Twin Famicom for RGB SCART and it's the best thing ever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wa27 posted:

That generally isn't a filter, N64 textures tend to be extremely small files and thus low quality, because of the small texture cache. A few games add a layer of lovely anti-aliasing on top which doesn't help matters, but most just look bad as flat out and the only way to fix it would be to go back in time and slap the engineer who said "yeah 4 kilobyte cache makes sense".

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I found out today after testing it that the Model 2 Genesis I bought a couple weeks back does not have a functioning reset button. This isn't a complete loss, as I can still hard reset with no problem and the only game that I can't beat now is X-Men which I don't even have.

I did pick up a couple of games this week -- Sub-Terrania, a frustrating shooter with an amazing soundtrack by Jesper Kyd, and General Chaos, which feels like some kind of proto-RTS. Paid $10 for both. I could have gotten a better deal for Sub-Terrania on eBay, but apparently I got a good deal on General Chaos. When I checked, auctions were going for a little over 20 bucks cart only.

I'm gonna go back to the place tomorrow and pick up a functional controller. I also saw a copy of Art Alive in the $5 selection, and I need that silly game in my life.

How hard would it be to repair the Reset button, anyway, as someone who hasn't done electronics before? I can't imagine it being a terribly advanced mechanism.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

No, it is absolutely a filter, the N64 does like 3 passes of bilinear filtering on everything by default, though here in 2016 we have various hardware hacks or gameshark codes that can mitigate or remove the filtering from most games.

The only N64 games to not have it forced on is Quake 64, which has an option for filtering.

The 4k of texture cache didn't help, but the PSX wasn't much better there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

Okay I will do that. Helps makes it easier to mail the NES out, as I don't need to include the N64 now.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So for the folks with RGB SCART hook ups, are you using a special TV that actually has those inputs? Or are you using a converter of sorts with it? Being from the US, I have literally never seen a TV with SCART, and it appears from what I'm reading to be mostly popular in the EU?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a framemeister but dude just read the op that's how I learned everything

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Phantasium posted:

Welcome to the club. The "I got GCN component cables without taking out a loan" club.

And yeah, as others said, composite for audio. Too bad the GCN didn't support optical out or anything like that.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So for the folks with RGB SCART hook ups, are you using a special TV that actually has those inputs? Or are you using a converter of sorts with it? Being from the US, I have literally never seen a TV with SCART, and it appears from what I'm reading to be mostly popular in the EU?

Three ways to do this:

1. Get SCART cables, a SCART RGB-to-component converter box, and use it on a regular standard-definition CRT TV (maybe LCD HDTV, but no guarantees).
2. Get SCART cables, a SCART connector to BNC connector adapter, and use it on a PVM/BVM monitor that supports direct RGB.
3. Get SCART cables, a scaler box like the Framemeister, and enjoy upscaled RGB-quality video on your HDTV.

Note for the bolded terms, I am not using those interchangeably. The converter does change the signal, while the adapter merely routes the signal through another input format.

Each has pros and cons, and the price is more likely to be higher with two and three than with one. If you have more questions, go ahead and ask.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Drowning Rabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSRW6GIFybpOJbjU65T8eFVM

Watch that playlist! Great overview of the basics of RGB gaming.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monopthalmus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNBVisVMbSRW6GIFybpOJbjU65T8eFVM

Watch that playlist! Great overview of the basics of RGB gaming.

Thanks for the info everyone :D

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

I have composite right now, but honestly how bad would it be just to get a s-video and just only mod the NES? S-video is only seven bucks compared to the 55 it would cost to mail and mod the N64.

If you have a CRT, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference between s-video and Component. I'm assuming you have a CRT if you have an s-video port.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
One other question regarding CRT's, my father still has an old as dirt Toshiba flat screen 480p CRT. I'm inheriting it, and was curious if that would give any better picture than the small crap TV that I have that at least has S-Video? I can't get up to 480p out of my SNES as is I assume, and it won't do progressive scan.

This stuff is just super old tech that I haven't had to deal with since I was a kid, and back then I didn't bother with this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

If you have a CRT, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference between s-video and Component. I'm assuming you have a CRT if you have an s-video port.

Yeah. I can notice a big difference with the Genesis going from composite to component, but the SNES it tougher to tell.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Quiet Feet posted:

I got one of
these things in a lot of random gaming garbage ealier this year. Anyone ever used one? I don't have an import game to try and am on the fence as to whether or not I want to start to collecting imports anyway. I've always been under the impression that you can't play JP only stuff without modding your Saturn.

You should start collecting Saturn imports because the Saturn import library is huge & awesome.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I use a SCART->component converter hooked to a component capable CRT, works great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

It wasn't good enough for PAL N64's :negative:.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
When are these HD retrovision cables coming back in stock?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Like I wrote earlier, Europe got a major advantage in this since our consumer TV's usually had at least one RGB scart input. Despite this many consoles came packaged with composite cables anyway. But there was always the option to use RGB scart right from the start. Many of them even supported a NTSC (60hz) signal which meant you could hook up your imported consoles without problems. Unfortunately some models only supported 50hz which meant you would get a black & white picture or no picture at all using RGB. (I once had a 20' Sony Trinitron like that.) Nowadays I use a PVM monitor though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Electric Lady posted:

I found out today after testing it that the Model 2 Genesis I bought a couple weeks back does not have a functioning reset button. This isn't a complete loss, as I can still hard reset with no problem and the only game that I can't beat now is X-Men which I don't even have.

I did pick up a couple of games this week -- Sub-Terrania, a frustrating shooter with an amazing soundtrack by Jesper Kyd, and General Chaos, which feels like some kind of proto-RTS. Paid $10 for both. I could have gotten a better deal for Sub-Terrania on eBay, but apparently I got a good deal on General Chaos. When I checked, auctions were going for a little over 20 bucks cart only.

I'm gonna go back to the place tomorrow and pick up a functional controller. I also saw a copy of Art Alive in the $5 selection, and I need that silly game in my life.

How hard would it be to repair the Reset button, anyway, as someone who hasn't done electronics before? I can't imagine it being a terribly advanced mechanism.

Subterrania is great. I just wish I could get past the third stage. :negative:

Still its a super pretty game and the soundtrack is beautiful. It's like a more action oriented Solar Jetman, which is another game that is balls hard and apparently only I like. There are still new/sealed copies floating around for about $20 if you're into that sort of thing.

HMC
May 18, 2009

I mentioned in this thread a while back that I was able to use my Elgato to capture video and pass-through to my computer monitor simultaneously for every combination of SNES/N64/GCN and Composite/S-Video EXCEPT for N64 with S-Video, inexplicably. I was fiddling with it again the other day and I managed to deduce that it DOES work with games that run at higher resolutions. For example, DK64 displays on my monitor on startup during the developer logos, but not during gameplay. Episode 1 Racer is janky at the beginning but displays during gameplay just fine. As I mentioned, it works totally fine for all games on Composite afaik. Anyone have any ideas why this might be?

I guess, alternately, is it possible to split S-Video? I can't find any evidence anywhere of such a thing being possible except for one dubious Y-splitter from some Chinese eBay seller, which leads me suspect it would degrade the signal, if it's even something that can be done at all.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
There are more expensive splitter amplifiers that will split it without degradation, however they are harder to come by since s-video has been phased out. I was looking for one until I got my PVM that has a s-video output so I can play on the PVM and output to a capture card.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Are you sure you didn't order them from some kind of Cold War era military dump?

I hope it is somehow not that stuff, it sounds like a pain to clean. I put them in a box of shredded paper for now, it'll probably somehow make them worse.

Quiet Feet posted:

Still its a super pretty game and the soundtrack is beautiful. It's like a more action oriented Solar Jetman, which is another game that is balls hard and apparently only I like. There are still new/sealed copies floating around for about $20 if you're into that sort of thing.

I like Solar Jet Man, I liked flying around in the little egg.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So my father recently passed and something we really shared was video gaming. I'm taking all the stuff I can find out of the house but a lot of it is really dusty and smells of cigarette smoke. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for cleaning cartridge games, PlayStation 1 thru 3 cases, manuals, cords etc ?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Grevlek posted:

So my father recently passed and something we really shared was video gaming. I'm taking all the stuff I can find out of the house but a lot of it is really dusty and smells of cigarette smoke. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for cleaning cartridge games, PlayStation 1 thru 3 cases, manuals, cords etc ?
Sorry for your loss. :(

Do all the usual cleanings using some sort of mild/soapy spray cleaner for the plastics. Avoid sprays with bleach or ammonia, see if you can find some that have baking soda or febreeze or claim to cut odors. Then it's just time and airing them out. If you pack them away into boxes it'll keep the smell locked in. Might be hard with the weather getting colder (if you're in the northern hemisphere) but maybe in the spring. Leave them laid out, with an open window, and maybe a fan to keep the air circulating. It'll take a while.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Grevlek posted:

If you pack 'em up, throw in a few dryer sheets.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Electric Lady posted:

Mine developed the same problem, and a friend fixed it by desoldering the reset switch and replacing it with a functional one from a different Model 2 Genesis.

You could also open up the system and see if some air-dusting fixes the problem. Or maybe there's a penny jammed in there because someone's younger sibling put money in it to play Sonic.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I received my CMC Pro (TY) CD-Rs today and put them head-to-head with one of my consumer TDK discs. Shinobi X is burned on both, and the TDK is fairly recent (probably about a year old). I realize this isn't a scientific test, but this is good enough to get me to switch brands. The Saturn would recognize the TDK 50% of the time and occasionally make very audible, repetitive seeking noises trying to load. The CMC Pro was recognized every time and it sounded as if you were using a pressed disc. Even to the naked eye, you can see the stark difference in written and unwritten areas. It might be worth mentioning that the TDKs are identical in color to my consumer Verbatims, so my Verbatims probably will have the same extremely lovely lifespan.

CMC Pro (left), TDK (right)

The price of the CMC Pro discs actually isn't bad either, $36 for a pack of 100.

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Grevlek posted:

My condolences for your loss.

From buying guitar equipment, I've learned the best way to get cigarette smells out of cases (vinyl wrapped outsides and cloth/material insides) is clean with warm soapy water, douse with baking soda and let it sit in the sun for awhile. Then wipe/vacuum out the baking soda and let it sit some more in the sun. Obviously, you need to be careful with water around cartridges (both the labels and the contacts), so I'm not sure what to tell you there. I'd get some cotton balls/pads and alcohol and get any smoke coating off. Then let it sit in the sun for a bit, just not so long to fade anything (a few hours won't hurt it). Cords are easy, just wipe down with the warm soapy water or even Clorox wipes do pretty well.

It'd be a pretty tedious task to take out each insert for the PS1-PS3 game cases and clean then, especially making sure the area under the slip cover is dry before you put the inserts back in. So maybe just giving a wipe down with clorox wipes, letting them sit in the open air/direct sunlight for a bit and then packing them in a new box with dryer sheets between the game cases and leaving them for a week or so may be a good start.

tl;dr: sunlight, baking soda, warm soapy water, clorox wipes, and more sunlight.. also alcohol to clean any cartridges and contact

• Locked thread