Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Someone on Reddit (I know, I know) had some pretty good ideas. Not only did they mention the bit about nuking the second launcher every time it showed up in the first phase, but they also suggested the use of Draw Fire. Man did that help to keep down the incidental damage from Mustard Bombs. And in my case, it also helped to have SG and Princess's Prayer for removing Expose Weakness and blocking a round of Atomic Ray (respectively). It's annoying to be penalized for actions when I'm just using a lot of Defend to keep down damage and to act as timers, but I still mastered the boss and that's what counts. (I didn't even need Revive!)

One final thing for anyone who's concerned about passing the hot potato to a teammate in later phases: even the Attack command is sufficient. When folks say that any ability works, they're really talking about any ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I already have orichalcum dirk, plus keeper's tome and Faris's Atk/Mag breakdown, so the debuff banner is def a hard pass for me. Larsa too, it hurts to skip Ashe BSB but I can try for it in OSBfest.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'll probably still pull on this banner just because I need any and all relics still, sucks that there's so many mediocre things on it, though. The Tome and Faris' BSB would be amazing, but I've had terrible luck trying to get them so far.

Also, quick question now that I've got Full Break - what all stacks / doesn't stack with this? From my extremely limited testing, it seems like it doesn't stack with stuff like Ark Blast / Beryl Serpent, but *does* stack with Breakdowns, unless I was just getting inconsistent numbers. Do any other debuffs stack with it, or is Full Break + Breakdowns + Protect / Shell / Back Row / bonuses from gear the most mitigation you can get?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'll probably still pull on this banner just because I need any and all relics still, sucks that there's so many mediocre things on it, though. The Tome and Faris' BSB would be amazing, but I've had terrible luck trying to get them so far.

Also, quick question now that I've got Full Break - what all stacks / doesn't stack with this? From my extremely limited testing, it seems like it doesn't stack with stuff like Ark Blast / Beryl Serpent, but *does* stack with Breakdowns, unless I was just getting inconsistent numbers. Do any other debuffs stack with it, or is Full Break + Breakdowns + Protect / Shell / Back Row / bonuses from gear the most mitigation you can get?

Please read the OP

The OP posted:

Buff Stacking
This gets its own section because it's pretty important.

Now, the way FFRK handles buffs and debuffs is different from most RPGs I've seen. The way it works is that each Buff/Debuff has its own ID, based off what stats it effects. So, an ability that reduces the Enemy's attack and one that raises the user's attack would have the same ID, because they both effect just Attack. You can't have two effects with the same ID on the same character, the new one will just overwrite the old one.

So if you use Attack Breakdown, then Attack Break, you'll just end up undoing your Attack Breakdown for the lesser Attack Break. So don't do it.

However, two Buffs/Debuffs that effect different stats will stack. So Attack Buff/Debuff and Magic Buff/Debuff will stack. And here's where things get crazy. Some abilities give Buffs/Debuffs that effect multiple stats at once. These then have their own unique ID. So let's say you have three Debuffs to inflict on the enemy. An Attack one, a Magic one, and one that decreases Magic and Defense. Then you throw on a buff that increases your Party's Attack, then one that increases their Magic, then another that increases both Attack and Magic. All three will stack since all three have separate IDs. This is important to know because high end FFRK content pretty much requires the ability to be able to stack up multiple buffs and/or debuffs.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
despite the garbage in the debuff banner, its still a guaranteed unique 5* for half price

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

Please read the OP

Yeah, I was a little unclear on that last bit about the multiple IDs thing - Full Break seems like it should have a different ID than Ark Blast, which only affects 2 stats instead of 3, but it didn't seem like I was doing any more damage after using both than I was after using just Full Break. But using Armor Breakdown and Magic Breakdown after Full Break did have an effect. But it could have just been from me hitting with different characters or something.

So hypothetically, if I have a Breakdown, Full Break, an SB that lowers both Attack and Defense, and an SB that lowers Defense and Res, *all* of those stack?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

despite the garbage in the debuff banner, its still a guaranteed unique 5* for half price

Yeah, it's definitely still a good banner for newer people/people who've had really specific pull results that have denied them debuff soul breaks. Personally I think I'm exactly solid enough now that I'm gonna pass and focus on building up more Mythril for future god banners.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Yeah, I was a little unclear on that last bit about the multiple IDs thing - Full Break seems like it should have a different ID than Ark Blast, which only affects 2 stats instead of 3, but it didn't seem like I was doing any more damage after using both than I was after using just Full Break. But using Armor Breakdown and Magic Breakdown after Full Break did have an effect. But it could have just been from me hitting with different characters or something.

So hypothetically, if I have a Breakdown, Full Break, an SB that lowers both Attack and Defense, and an SB that lowers Defense and Res, *all* of those stack?

Yes, the only times debuffs overwrite each other is when they modify the same stats at once. So for example, Agrias' Cleansing Strike SB (which debuffs Atk and Mag) would stack with Auron's Banishing Blade SB (which debuffs Atk and Def), Full Break, and Power/Magic Breakdown, but not Gordon's Goddess Bell SB because it also debuffs Atk/Mag.

This is what makes Setzer's BSB relic that just got released in Japan much better than most BSBs for Support characters thus far: the entry SB debuffs Atk/Mag, and the burst commands debuff Atk/Def and Mag/Res. Which means Setzer can stack the entry SB, Full Break, both burst command debuffs, and one additional Breakdown, all on his own. That's an insane amount of mitigation to pack into one character, and you get the benefit of (minor) wallbreak debuff to help your DPS characters in the process. It's nuts.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Yes, they all stack. And Ark Blast does stack with Full Break. Although:

NGDBSS posted:

And in my case, it also helped to have SG and Princess's Prayer for removing Expose Weakness and blocking a round of Atomic Ray (respectively).

Expose Weakness is apparently two separate effects of Defense down and Resistance down, rather than a combined Defense AND resistance down. So it does not conflict with SG even though they both affect the same stats. Expose Weakness would cancel out things like a Res buff from Garnet's SSB or a defense buff from Bartz' SSB.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

How is it that elite Jenova DEATH from realms can murder my entire party on the first turn before I can even get any mitigation or breaks off :catstare: This fight is significantly more bullshit than any U+/U++ I've tried other than Bartz

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

How is it that elite Jenova DEATH from realms can murder my entire party on the first turn before I can even get any mitigation or breaks off :catstare: This fight is significantly more bullshit than any U+/U++ I've tried other than Bartz

I found that stage hard as hell. I barely limped past it and had to come back to master it later.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I found that stage hard as hell. I barely limped past it and had to come back to master it later.
I ended up getting through it, but only by getting really lucky and S/Ling enough that she would start off with two single target attacks against people who could (barely) survive them and then I could get SG and breakdowns off. What a dumb boss.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I ended up getting through it, but only by getting really lucky and S/Ling enough that she would start off with two single target attacks against people who could (barely) survive them and then I could get SG and breakdowns off. What a dumb boss.

I don't think I'd bother to continue playing if s/l wasn't a thing. Huge stamina costs on fights that can go south instantly? Nah.

The 1 stam fights seem like a nod towards that particular issue but... yeah.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks guys!

I looked at my team after I posted and realized that one of my dudes had RS on his weapon, so the difference in damage between him hitting with Armor Breakdown was huge compared to a non-RSed weapon on another character hitting after Full Break + Ark Blast. So basically I'm dumb and that explanation in the OP made perfect sense.

And Setzer's BSB sounds amazing. It's always kinda tricky to find a good balance for skills to bring along, I usually run Ramza with Full Break + one of the Breakdowns since I use him for Shout anyway, but on a lot of the tougher fights I pretty much have to bring Tyro along to use one or two of the other Breakdowns as well, which eats into my DPS a bit. My only other option for that slot is Terra right now, who deals a lot more damage than Tyro with magic, but neither of them really fit into the physical team. It looks like Vaan would be great in that slot, but I don't have any of his relics and I won't have enough to pull on his banner between this Lucky pull and saving for Onion Knight. Ah well, shouldn't chase a single relic anyways I guess. Freya would also be good, but same problem with a lack of relics there.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

I don't think I'd bother to continue playing if s/l wasn't a thing. Huge stamina costs on fights that can go south instantly? Nah.

The 1 stam fights seem like a nod towards that particular issue but... yeah.

Jenova can be a pain but the ones I hate even more are the various Bahamut/other dragons that open up the fight by every time hitting your party with a powerful AOE on tick 1. Especially if they're one of the 1 Stage fights so you can't even get mitigation up before it.

Edit: Mmm, that might be the death knell for my Global account. Had a nice bit of Mythril built up so I decided to finally pull on Keeper's Choice 2, got a 1/11 for an off-banner Robe with a shared that inflicts Sleep. Kinda feel like that might be a sign.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 22, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
My refund fiasco continues. I contacted Google via email, and called the local offices yesterday. But both replied that they are unable to refund the $100, because messing up with the UI is 100% my fault. :(

DeNA support has offered to return to me the 9500 gems they initially removed from my account, and I might take that offer. At least I get to "whale" on some nicer banner in the near future?

This is hardly a financial disaster, but god drat am I still annoyed about this. This game better not die randomly soon. :bang:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Attestant posted:

My refund fiasco continues. I contacted Google via email, and called the local offices yesterday. But both replied that they are unable to refund the $100, because messing up with the UI is 100% my fault. :(

DeNA support has offered to return to me the 9500 gems they initially removed from my account, and I might take that offer. At least I get to "whale" on some nicer banner in the near future?

This is hardly a financial disaster, but god drat am I still annoyed about this. This game better not die randomly soon. :bang:
Uh, wow, no, that's unacceptable. Were you polite and conciliatory to everyone you talked to about this?

Now is the time to get pissed off. Or lie, that works too. Call a different Google rep and say that a little kid got to your phone and bought gems on it or something. "WHOOPS, GUESS YOU HAVE TO GIVE US YOUR $100" is the answer they really want to give you, and also not one you have to deal with.

All else fails, do a chargeback.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So far on DeNA end I've had a handful of customer reps, each a bit less scripted and robotic than the last one. But they still claim 100% that they are unable to refund anything, and that Google needs to be contacted.

Google vias email is useless, no matter what contacted them with, I get the same canned response every time. "Outside of our refund policy." bluh bluh. The call to their local offices wasn't much more helpful, with them assuring that there's nothing I can't do, because I didn't request the refund fast enough initially. (edit) And also that it's DeNA that should do the refund, not them.

And yeah, I've been completely nice and polite to everyone. I feel like I should have started lying about a kid making the purchase or whatever from the start. :(

Basically DeNA and Google are pointing at each other, and saying that policies mean they cannot do anything.

(edit2) Found an email contact for local Google offices I hadn't been in contact with yet. Time to try my luck there...

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 22, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

So far on DeNA end I've had a handful of customer reps, each a bit less scripted and robotic than the last one. But they still claim 100% that they are unable to refund anything, and that Google needs to be contacted.

Google vias email is useless, no matter what contacted them with, I get the same canned response every time. "Outside of our refund policy." bluh bluh. The call to their local offices wasn't much more helpful, with them assuring that there's nothing I can't do, because I didn't request the refund fast enough initially. (edit) And also that it's DeNA that should do the refund, not them.

And yeah, I've been completely nice and polite to everyone. I feel like I should have started lying about a kid making the purchase or whatever from the start. :(

Basically DeNA and Google are pointing at each other, and saying that policies mean they cannot do anything.

(edit2) Found an email contact for local Google offices I hadn't been in contact with yet. Time to try my luck there...

I'd keep trying and definitely remember that you do have the option of Chargeback but just to make sure you know what you're getting into I'll say this: there's a pretty decent chance if you do Chargeback on this that your account may be banned for fraud, or at the very least locked out from spending any money in the future. Not saying you shouldn't do it, because that is a lot of money, but do be aware that getting it back might lose you your mobile game accounts.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Yeah, I know that a chargeback is pretty much the nuclear option. Now that it's weekend I'm a bit limited in who I can reach, but I'll see again on monday what I can do.

But frankly, I'd rather take the $100 hit and do my three 11-pulls, rather than risk losing my game account entirely. I still dig this stupid game. :shrug:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
That is a real lovely thing for Google to do. But unless you need that $100 for rent or something, I would look at it like, "I was gonna throw money at the game for dollar pulls anyway. Now I can dollar pull on every banner for the next year."

Now that the horses are out of the barn, use the cash on a game you enjoy. :)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Uncle Ulty posted:

That is a real lovely thing for Google to do. But unless you need that $100 for rent or something, I would look at it like, "I was gonna throw money at the game for dollar pulls anyway. Now I can dollar pull on every banner for the next year."

Now that the horses are out of the barn, use the cash on a game you enjoy. :)

Most of the money would have gone towards Civ 6, and maybe some Warhammer 40k stuff, so it's not like this will mean disaster.

Still a pain in the rear end. :argh:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Attestant posted:

Most of the money would have gone towards Civ 6, and maybe some Warhammer 40k stuff, so it's not like this will mean disaster.

Still a pain in the rear end. :argh:

Just save the pulls for your favorite character in the game! :unsmith:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Well it took a few orbs to hone up some ninja stuff. And my sanity. And also my eternal soul. But I beat the stupid nightmare fight after trying trial and error about 75 tries until I finally had it down to a rhythm and I knew exactly when to heal and when to go all out. And there was a tiny bit of fun hidden in it. But I do hate "puzzle" fights on this ATB system. But it's over with now. I can now go to the corner and cry for the rest of this day.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yes, the only times debuffs overwrite each other is when they modify the same stats at once. So for example, Agrias' Cleansing Strike SB (which debuffs Atk and Mag) would stack with Auron's Banishing Blade SB (which debuffs Atk and Def), Full Break, and Power/Magic Breakdown, but not Gordon's Goddess Bell SB because it also debuffs Atk/Mag.

This is what makes Setzer's BSB relic that just got released in Japan much better than most BSBs for Support characters thus far: the entry SB debuffs Atk/Mag, and the burst commands debuff Atk/Def and Mag/Res. Which means Setzer can stack the entry SB, Full Break, both burst command debuffs, and one additional Breakdown, all on his own. That's an insane amount of mitigation to pack into one character, and you get the benefit of (minor) wallbreak debuff to help your DPS characters in the process. It's nuts.

I'd Argue Fran's BSB is probably the best support bsb in jp, mostly because of the entry hyper break reducing everything. The commands are kind of generic breakdown replacements, but being able to bring something like Northern cross for extra damage is kind of nuts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Koobes posted:

I'd Argue Fran's BSB is probably the best support bsb in jp, mostly because of the entry hyper break reducing everything. The commands are kind of generic breakdown replacements, but being able to bring something like Northern cross for extra damage is kind of nuts.

The fun part about Fran's BSB is that the commands are Power Breakdown and Mental Breakdown.

Which has no overlap with Vaan's BSB. So bring both and slap Full Break on Fran. :v:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp time to pray for me because I'm gonna start throwing myself at JP Kaiser Dragon. Helps that I can field a full team of mages with breaks (Terra OSB, RInoa BSB, Alphinaud BSB and SSB, Maria BSB and Y'shtola BSB for healing), but I still get the feeling I'm going to hate everything for awhile. Nice that it is just 1 Stam like the U+ and such though. I assume though that I probably don't want to drag anyone at less than 80 into it?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

LornMarkus posted:

Welp time to pray for me because I'm gonna start throwing myself at JP Kaiser Dragon. Helps that I can field a full team of mages with breaks (Terra OSB, RInoa BSB, Alphinaud BSB and SSB, Maria BSB and Y'shtola BSB for healing), but I still get the feeling I'm going to hate everything for awhile. Nice that it is just 1 Stam like the U+ and such though. I assume though that I probably don't want to drag anyone at less than 80 into it?

You should slaughter him. Only issue will be the stupid water and lightning medal requirements. Unless he's somehow different in JP than global. I beat his rear end just with Hope's BSB plus a sheepsong RW.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

JP Kaiser Dragon is silly easy now if you have any mage SBs worth talking about. It's still annoying to get the mastery conditions but the fight itself is super easy. Power Creep was not kind to him.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Attestant posted:

Yeah, I know that a chargeback is pretty much the nuclear option. Now that it's weekend I'm a bit limited in who I can reach, but I'll see again on monday what I can do.

But frankly, I'd rather take the $100 hit and do my three 11-pulls, rather than risk losing my game account entirely. I still dig this stupid game. :shrug:

if you don't take the crystals back from DeNA you can correctly tell Google that you paid for something that was not provided to you. Slightly less nuclear than a chargeback, though I have no idea what google's recourse is to the dev in that case.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Garnet's Wizard Rod is awesome and underrated but pulling a second one (and nothing else) when I hit 200 mythril and decided to try for Hamelin didn't quite satisfy.

I rage-pulled the FF2 banner in response and my normal luck returned. Looks like I can save the rest of my mythril for now. :circlefap:

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 22, 2016

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Kraken down! :toot: would have gone down yesterday if I'd known whether mog's hint meant my left or the monster's...

KataraniSword posted:

Do you have Combat King? If so, toss Ace Striker or Battleforged on him, give him Lifesiphon and Lifebane, and go ham. One of his other SBs? Go with one of the "significantly boosts fist damage" RMs, Sphere him up to Celerity 5*, and Chaincharge to your heart's content.

I do have combat king :toot: (those are also the abilities I had glued to him already, so I'm glad I was on the right track.) I want battleforged to stay glued to Cloud so I can reasonably pull off the glory that is the shout/climhazzard/finishing touch/finishing touch combo, so I'll see about getting ace striker. Thanks!

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Kraken down! :toot: would have gone down yesterday if I'd known whether mog's hint meant my left or the monster's...

To be fair, mob names show up underneath them when a fight starts, and the tentacles are named "Right Tentacle" and "Left Tentacle".

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

To be fair, mob names show up underneath them when a fight starts, and the tentacles are named "Right Tentacle" and "Left Tentacle".

Welp, I feel dumb :v:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Finally tried the U++ CM, native Divine Guardian and some good RS armors kept me alive while the RW of Vivi's BSB dealt all the damage. Feels good to master that boss!

Now to decide if I'll do an 11-pull on an IX banner or keep saving up. If power's going to keep on creepin' then perhaps the next IX banner will be better.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

kalensc posted:

Finally tried the U++ CM, native Divine Guardian and some good RS armors kept me alive while the RW of Vivi's BSB dealt all the damage. Feels good to master that boss!

Now to decide if I'll do an 11-pull on an IX banner or keep saving up. If power's going to keep on creepin' then perhaps the next IX banner will be better.

How much mythril are you up to now?

You can already check out all the banners that Japan has gotten, including the next IX banners. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e1xUGHH-OBdlM0QzWoME4GRJt9v3ocQmdmylI62hwFk/edit?pli=1#gid=1211382974

But the current IX banner is already good. It seems to me like banners for a good while (up through where Japan is) will be of comparable, consistently-high quality, so that the next banner in the same realm won't necessarily be better than the current one. There are some notably fantastic banners that stand higher than others like the XIV banner, but at this point I feel there's less incentive to hoard for "power creep" purposes.

Then again, there are banners like the Ultros Select that Japan got for the 2nd anniversary that are pretty ridiculous, so still keep some reserve mythril around.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wasn't able to do the Cid Mission, unfortunately. Might try again tomorrow.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Schwartzcough posted:

How much mythril are you up to now?

You can already check out all the banners that Japan has gotten, including the next IX banners. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e1xUGHH-OBdlM0QzWoME4GRJt9v3ocQmdmylI62hwFk/edit?pli=1#gid=1211382974

But the current IX banner is already good. It seems to me like banners for a good while (up through where Japan is) will be of comparable, consistently-high quality, so that the next banner in the same realm won't necessarily be better than the current one. There are some notably fantastic banners that stand higher than others like the XIV banner, but at this point I feel there's less incentive to hoard for "power creep" purposes.

Then again, there are banners like the Ultros Select that Japan got for the 2nd anniversary that are pretty ridiculous, so still keep some reserve mythril around.

An even 600 now. I'd love 4 of the banner items but 3 would be meh. Tough caĺl.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

kalensc posted:

An even 600 now. I'd love 4 of the banner items but 3 would be meh. Tough call.

What I'm doing is waiting until the following IX event (should come in mid-January) to fix my synergy for that realm, so I can save as much mythril as possible for the next meta-changing banners in Onion Knight 1 and Minfilia/Alphinaud 1. The first banner has is very Zidane-heavy, but the second banner has several of the good relics from this current set (Hamelin, Trident, Golden Hairpin), along with debuting BSBs for Steiner and Freya and a very good new SSB for Garnet (Mag/Def faithga so it stacks with most of the common ones, plus a party-wide HP Stock). You've got even more mythril than me though, so you can maybe afford to spend more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm actually really tempted to roll on this FF2 banner, mainly because I just hit 50 mythril and have 0 self control but the bursts actually seem strong.

• Locked thread