Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Crtew was marked.

And DESTROYED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Highwang posted:

Yes actually. A common strat among some communities is taking on medium missions for the express purpose of de-stressing people via camps and jesters. I *think* its been nerfed though with the actual release of the game however.

with a Jester you don't even need to camp for stress relief. Just find a few punching bags and stall that fight out until your party's ears are bleeding from all those ballads.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"So you were there with that team of adventurers?"
"I... was certainly there, yes. No one was more there than I was!"
"Spent all your time in the tavern with the medicinal herbs, huh?"
"Sometimes I visited the brothel..."

-Kaboom Dragoon, My Adventures In This Shithole Town

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Halser posted:

with a Jester you don't even need to camp for stress relief. Just find a few punching bags and stall that fight out until your party's ears are bleeding from all those ballads.
I've done this before and gotten reinforcements called on me, you can't dick around in fights too long

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Also if you sandbag too long, your party members start complaining and giving each other stress. Because a running theme of this game is that you're minions are idiots.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also if you sandbag too long, your party members start complaining and giving each other stress. Because a running theme of this game is that you're minions are idiots.

Hanging around in mortal combat and thus making even more noise and commotion to attract attention in a claustrophobic basement filled with otherworldly horrors sounds kinda stressful, actually. This sort of thing is what the (very old school) D&D wandering monster rolls were for, to keep pressure on the party to keep moving.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Actually you can get the Resurrection event multiple times, I got it twice in my current save.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

e: I've decided against.

Polyseme fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 22, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Nice run, Highwang. Two things, though:

1) EAT FOOD. DO NOT THROW FOOD AWAY. RIGHT CLICK ON FOOD IN LOOT DROP AND EAT IT
2) STOP THROWING AWAY CRESTS YOU ALREADY HAVE A CHIRURGEON'S CHARM THROW THAT AWAY INSTEAD AAAAA

Jokes and tips aside, though, don't worry, we love your LP and we love you showing off this game. Just do your thing, for all sins shall be forgiven when you perform the Penance-Rite of The Sham-ia-un Tia Dharg Rahn.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Nah, they're being aware of the fact that they're standing around in a dark and terrible place surrounded by ominous background music and that voice that keeps glibly commenting on everything and that any number of the many numerous monstrous beings and vile individuals inhabiting said place might come piling around a corner and kill them dead (or much, much worse) due to all the ruckus they're making and the time they're taking. YOU try being an adventurer and not get nervous when the evil GM's smile keeps getting broader and broader the longer you delay! :colbert:

Evil GM: "Oh, I've been waiting for a chance to use this one. It almost never gets to catch up."

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Fair points, but then it leads to the question "Why are healing skills only usable in combat?"

"I know you're bleeding out Mr. Clown, but my bandages only work when monsters are nearby! Maybe if you could hold on just long enough for us to find a nice spider, or maggot. Then I'll get you patched right up!"

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Fair points, but then it leads to the question "Why are healing skills only usable in combat?"

"I know you're bleeding out Mr. Clown, but my bandages only work when monsters are nearby! Maybe if you could hold on just long enough for us to find a nice spider, or maggot. Then I'll get you patched right up!"

Perhaps healing skills are powered by the heroes enmity toward their enemies, so they can't use them without a battle -- they wouldn't be angry enough.

More seriously, it has to be that way for balance reasons, or else the game would be too easy and a dungeon run wouldn't have the feeling of your characters slowly unraveling and getting closer to death the deeper you go.

They could have instead used a system where enemy attacks reduce your max hitpoints (ie, you are stabbed and your current HP decreases by 7, while your max decreases by 3, the way many fighting games work). Your current HP could be automatically restored to your reduced maximum after every fight, and dungeoning would still feel dangerous, if there were only limited means of restoring max HP in a dungeon.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

This is a problem in most rpgs. I like Pillars of Eternity's solution. You have an in battle health-pool (endurance), and a global health pool (just health). Any healing you receive in battle drains your global pool, and your endurance goes back to max after every battle, again by draining your global pool.

I'm sure other rpgs must use a similar mechanic, it's simple and elegant so I would be surprised if noone else has used it before. In DD it would add yet another bar tokeep track of, so maybe not the best solution in this case.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Markovnikov posted:

This is a problem in most rpgs. I like Pillars of Eternity's solution. You have an in battle health-pool (endurance), and a global health pool (just health). Any healing you receive in battle drains your global pool, and your endurance goes back to max after every battle, again by draining your global pool.

I'm sure other rpgs must use a similar mechanic, it's simple and elegant so I would be surprised if noone else has used it before. In DD it would add yet another bar tokeep track of, so maybe not the best solution in this case.

That mechanic generally works well until you arm your warriors with draining weapons or moon godlikes or something that can move a lot from the global pool to the endurance pool and people start straight-up dying in combat no matter how much healing you put in. This might work for the DD inevitable death grind experience, but it's frustrating in Pillars when equipping a vampiric weapon actively screws you over.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Perhaps healing skills are powered by the heroes enmity toward their enemies, so they can't use them without a battle -- they wouldn't be angry enough.

That's why I used Arbalest's Bandages as an example. If anything, sufficient anger would just make that one worse because its harder to concentrate in the thick of battle. In all seriousness, I know its a video game trope and its just something done for balance, but if we're applying logic to gameplay then we may as well go all the way. Its just really frustrating when I want to do some recovery, but can only realistically squeeze in an extra two turns of healing. The fact that its the characters themselves saying it gives me an opportunity to scapegoat them. Even more so when Mr. Clown is trying to do Stress recovery in the first place.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

JT Jag posted:

I've done this before and gotten reinforcements called on me, you can't dick around in fights too long

you just have to know how to game the system.

size 2 enemies prevent reinforcements and stress due to stalling.
two size 1 enemies also works.
I think the octopus guard guy also does that by itself, since he's bound to have 80% PROT by the time you're fighting him, and having your party get stall penalties because one enemy has 5000000000 effective HP would be stupid.

Use your stuns and dodges when the time is right to get some valuable healing done. When fighting only one enemy, never stall more than one turn.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

the player character pays them based in steps per hour. They want their god drat money, so hurry up and stop whining about your bleeding.

Oh, and backpedalling means negative steps, so that's why they get stressed out when they do that.

Halser fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 23, 2016

Quillpaw
Sep 2, 2011

Aight, game on!
Add one more to the list of people that have bought the game because of this LP. I'd heard of the game before this thread, but you totally sold me! Wish my luck was as good as yours has been, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Quillpaw posted:

Add one more to the list of people that have bought the game because of this LP. I'd heard of the game before this thread, but you totally sold me! Wish my luck was as good as yours has been, though.

I'm in the opposite boat, I'd considered buying this game but this LP convinced me not to. It looks like a very well-crafted game with a lot of charm and atmosphere to it, but not my cup of tea.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I did not buy this cause of the lp but I had it since early access :krakentoot:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Kickstarted on the day it was announced. Basically this LP would not exist if it wasn't for my 15 bucks. :smug:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Boarding Clutch looks like it should pull the target forward a bit.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Nalesh posted:

Boarding Clutch looks like it should pull the target forward a bit.

It can, at least on the higher levels. Or is that all hands on deck?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 25: The most talkative Ghoul

A standard mission, however it ends with us fighting an unusual ghoul that shows off one of the big changes in difficulty: a focus on stress damage.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

grandalt posted:

It can, at least on the higher levels. Or is that all hands on deck?

It's all hands. The Clutch only causes bleed, weirdly.

e: oh hey, an update!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The number of people sitting in your roster with diseases with an empty sanitarium is hilarious.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Are diseases that detrimental? Maybe I'm getting lucky, but most of them don't seem that bad aside from the ones that impact combat stats.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

'...So we're not going to be one-shotting as effectively...' he says as the Bounty Hunter smashes an enemy's skull so hard that pieces of it travelling one direction across the universe meet other pieces of it travelling the opposite direction.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

vdate posted:

The number of people sitting in your roster with diseases with an empty sanitarium is hilarious.

Yea, why exactly aren't you fixing those? Most aren't *that* bad, but you have the money.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I just love how "Bulimic" is considered a perk in this game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Err, Highwang, have you finished this game? Because your mistrust of dodge is pretty much anathema to how I manage my heroes - even low-dodge characters get +dodge items & perks in my runs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm still catching up, but I see that Highwang has now discovered why Arablest+Occultist are BFFs forever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I'm still catching up, but I see that Highwang has now discovered why Arablest+Occultist are BFFs forever.

all-mark parties (arbalest-occultist-houndmaster-bounty hunter) are amazing

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Can you still make dark runs safe in this or did they make the dark actually scary now?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
The Most Talkative Ghoul puts me in mind of a barista serving Duncan Hills coffee and not shutting up about its favorite metal band.

...or talking on a phone for the "Hey ghoul" pun :phoneb::phoneline::phone:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

double nine posted:

all-mark parties (arbalest-occultist-houndmaster-bounty hunter) are amazing

Any party that includes Man With Dog is automatically better for having Man With Dog.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"hey ghoul heeyy" :wink:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Scribbleykins posted:

1) EAT FOOD. DO NOT THROW FOOD AWAY. RIGHT CLICK ON FOOD IN LOOT DROP AND EAT IT

EAT THE EGGSFOOD HIGHWANG

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tendales posted:

EAT THE EGGSFOOD HIGHWANG

?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Maybe it's just a lame highdea, but I like how the power differential between healing classes is a subtle reflection of the world of Darkest Dungeon. The plague doctor and the arbalest are the weakest healers- the power of man is weakest, but it has its place. Next, the vestal has healing powers through whatever benevolent god or gods watch over everything. And while that power is benevolent, and always benevolent, it doesn't hold a candle to the weird eldrich power that the occultist wields. Because whatever THAT is, it can heal incredible amounts of damage.... when it wants. And it might just have you pay a price anyway, out of spite.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I just love how "Bulimic" is considered a perk in this game.
That's what I thought too.

Then it turned into Syphilis.

I have no idea how, but it did. I have kept my dudes as disease free as possible since.

Edit: actually I am dumb, I thought that someone with a disease had a greater chance of generating another one.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FisheyStix posted:

Maybe it's just a lame highdea, but I like how the power differential between healing classes is a subtle reflection of the world of Darkest Dungeon. The plague doctor and the arbalest are the weakest healers- the power of man is weakest, but it has its place. Next, the vestal has healing powers through whatever benevolent god or gods watch over everything. And while that power is benevolent, and always benevolent, it doesn't hold a candle to the weird eldrich power that the occultist wields. Because whatever THAT is, it can heal incredible amounts of damage.... when it wants. And it might just have you pay a price anyway, out of spite.

You're forgetting the healing power of the Crusader - not that it ever amounts to much, it's on par with the arbalest basically.

• Locked thread