Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

same but win+e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

i think yours is worse

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Dislike button posted:

counterpoint: i would no longer be regarded as a computer god by my coworkers for things like 'uses keyboard shortcuts in excel'

our last training included things like how you shouldnt shut down your computer by holding down the power button

i encountered someone at work who does this. every single day, work is over he holds down the power button to turn off his computer. blew my mind. had to explain that this was a bad thing, and to use start > shutdown.

Bloody posted:

I blew the mind of a young engineering colleague recently by alt tabbing.

:stare:

man i dunno why i'm even surprised. computers are loving terrible really, we're just a bunch of nerds.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
you can blow a lot of people's minds doing win-arrow key to snap windows around.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

I blew the mind of a young engineering colleague recently by alt tabbing.

No one on my row knew about winkey+L

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i got in an argument with someone the other day over whether clicking the x to close a program does anything different from file>exit, because some of our official documentation still says the former will break our software and I said it 1. wasn't true and 2. signals to customers that our software is poo poo

I also once heard my direct supervisor very carefully explain to a co-worker that Windows runs on top of DOS which is why some of our utilities have to be run from the command line

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I have a coworker who confuses "cc" and "attached".

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
loving computing kids these days

i blame the decline of DOS. back in our day we didn't have fancy rear end UXs making us soft. we were lucky to have /help and we were thankful

and i say all of that completely unironically.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I have a coworker who confuses "cc" and "attached".

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

i encountered someone at work who does this. every single day, work is over he holds down the power button to turn off his computer. blew my mind. had to explain that this was a bad thing, and to use start > shutdown.

you can really confuse him by showing him how to assign shutdown to when he presses the power button

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i got in an argument with someone the other day over whether clicking the x to close a program does anything different from file>exit, because some of our official documentation still says the former will break our software and I said it 1. wasn't true and 2. signals to customers that our software is poo poo

this could be true though? if the software is poo poo, that is

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

you can blow a lot of people's minds doing win-arrow key to snap windows around.

Win 10 changed the behavior of win+up and it pisses me off every time

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Arcsech posted:

Win 10 changed the behavior of win+up and it pisses me off every time

what

that's been one of the window controls for a while now...?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Necc0 posted:

this could be true though? if the software is poo poo, that is

our software is definitely poo poo, but this is not one of the reasons why - that bug was fixed years ago. its more of a superstition at this point than anything

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

what

that's been one of the window controls for a while now...?

In win7 & 8 win+up maximized the current window. In win10 it does that... Except if you previously used win+left/right, then win+up reduces the window to a quarter of your screen, which is loving useless and awful.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Arcsech posted:

In win7 & 8 win+up maximized the current window. In win10 it does that... Except if you previously used win+left/right, then win+up reduces the window to a quarter of your screen, which is loving useless and awful.

it's fine.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
my company is migrating everything over from google apps to office 365 soon. we used to use g-chat for IM, but google discontinued the desktop client. so bunch of people would install Trillian in 'my documents.' it's a piece of poo poo that hasn't changed in 10 years.

is the IM support in office 365 any decent? i'm contemplating just convincing my team to do a slack channel.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
office's IM system is called skype for business

I think it came up before itt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its poo poo for text chat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Necronomoticon posted:

is the IM support in office 365 any decent?

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol @ communicator not having spellcheck until the lync rebrand

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Arcsech posted:

just double-tap up. win+up+up will maximize if you have the window snapped to either side of the screen.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
welp, slack it is, then. i would've thought goddamn text chat was a solved problem by now.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it is
slack solved it and now everyone else is reimplementing slack poorly
and your company's #general chat will have weekly discussions about slack alternatives:

- hipchat because we already have the atlassian poo poo stack!
- jabber but with persistent chat that our hosed up IT group hasn't been able to get working in 3 months of trying!
- any number of poorly implemented on premise solutions with garbage APIs

this will be topped with complaints that slack is too expensive (it is) but this cost will be greatly dwarfed by the reduced work of people discussing how slack is too expensive

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

had a 1.5 hour long webex with a swede with a very thick accent presenting their software solution.

The webex was hosted by their sales guy who was on site at our office. He didn't bring a speaker and when i handed him the one we have in every meeting room which connects either via bluetooth or usb he plugged in, looked at his screen then proceeded to get his phone out and instead just do the call over his iphone speaker.

every time the swede hit a key it would resonate and cut off the 1 second of his following sentence.

get hosed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a conference system that solves the "sorry i just joined, what?" problem as well as punishing tardiness

when you join, if you join late, you have to listen to everything youve missed since the start of the conf at 150% playback speed. you are hard muted during this time.

Show up at 2:15? you arent talking until 2:30 or so

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

*joins webex* "hey i'm here"
*mute mic, do other stuff for an hour*
*unmute mic* "thanks for that guys, good presentation, bye"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

*gets asked a question*
*scrambles to find mute button after hearing your name*
"sorry, I didn't catch the second half of what you said, could you repeat that?"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*
"sorry, I didn't catch the second half of what you said, could you repeat that?"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*

tuesday morning motherfuckers

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Thanks Ants posted:

i've never identified with a post so hard in all my life

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had the person next to me count the words I've said on an 'urgent' call before. All time record is 2, and that was including roll call.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*

you know you're important when you can lose the facade and outright tell them you weren't paying attention

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Adobe Connect session with 50 attendees

*presenter*: you're all able to interact with the screenshare, but please don't do anything with it

apparently this included making the screenshare window full screen...throughout the whole call the window would resize every 5-10 seconds as anyone on the call switched the window between full screen and windowed mode on their own pc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cheque_some posted:

*presenter*: you're all able to interact with the screenshare, but please don't do anything with it

and whatever you do don't touch the dog's feet

*8 billiseconds later*

snarlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

somewhere there was a program for listening to your conference call for you that'd do STT and give you a notification if your name was said

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

atlassian poo poo stack!

mods

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
"so do we have any update on this issue? i can't reproduce it myself"
"ok so the problem is that..."
"cuz didn't we go to a single node?"