Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

there will be slabs in the dlc

bloodborne did it wrong in the same way as the rest of the series in that you couldn't even buy a bunch of upgrade materials at first. they added those in later patches but you can still only buy those with insight

Bloodborne should have ditched them entirely and gone all in on the blood gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

So much angst riddled bad opinion. Yowza.

Not wanting to play the game multiple times to experience all the stuff. Or play with a wiki open.

So much angst!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You realize the difference between a +9 weapon and a +10 weapon is pretty marginal, right? People beat these games at NG+7 with their bare fists. You can miss out on a sliver of life bar that the +10 gets you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bombadilillo posted:

Not wanting to play the game multiple times to experience all the stuff. Or play with a wiki open.

You don't have to do all the things in order to be happy and enjoy the game. Explore a bunch, find a weapon or two that you like the moveset of and fits your build, get them up to at least +9 or +4 (because you can buy infinite chunks/twinklers/scales), and maybe have a few slabs sitting in reserve for the ones you really like because there's 8 slabs in DS3 and there will probably be a couple in the DLC. Accept that life and pleasure are transitory and enjoy the moment rather than fixating on the roads not taken.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i like to play this game.

been getting through Salt & Sanctuary finally to slake my souls lust, on the last boss now.

beer's nice.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bombadilillo posted:

I never had to look at a frost sword and wonder if I should drop 15 twinkling into it or look it up to see if I should bother. Cause both are poo poo options.

the lack of obvious transparency w/r/t how a level 0 weapon will turn out once you've upgraded it to +5/+10 is a pretty archaic design decision. or rather, DS has its roots in a much older style of RPG that purposely obscured game mechanics because the expectation was you were going to keep handwritten notes and graph paper by your desk as you meticulously checked every square on a 400 square grid for hidden doors or loot or whatever.

plus, you can't have trap options and meta-game mastery if everyone is playing on a transparent, level playing field!

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

And how many are either totally the same as other weapons, or just new, useless spells with new damage ranges?

none of them

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Bombadilillo posted:

So much angst!

It's an RPG - you'll have to play multiple times to experience all the stuff. You'll live. Good luck!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't see the problem with playing the game a bunch of times to experience all content. You can do it by going to NG+ or by making a different character. It's like in any other RPG. Otherwise it would just be like a linear FPS where you see all content, beat it and uninstall it forever.

It's like the worst complaint about an ARPG ever.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i like to do different builds for fun and see how fast they can go, and then use their extra slabs on my collection of useless +10s i play with for maybe an hour each

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never go beyond +7 because then I can't pwn noobs in farron

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the lack of obvious transparency w/r/t how a level 0 weapon will turn out once you've upgraded it to +5/+10 is a pretty archaic design decision

DS2 was actually mostly transparent about that, at least as far as upgrading went. Regular and twinkling weapons got +10% base damage per upgrade level, while dragon bone weapons got +30%. Regular weapons were double base AR at +10, twinkling were +50% at +5, and dragon bone were +150% at +5. Weapons with innate elemental damage have their physical portions follow that pattern, but the elemental portion varied from weapon to weapon. And infusion was a whole other kettle of fish that usually followed certain rules but sometimes threw them out the window.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I haven't played this in a long time. Does the game still sometimes poo poo the bed if you're near a bonfire and maybe don't have the right headgear on or have lighting quality set to low?

What I'm asking is if it's okay to make the game look prettier again.

e: trip report, it's probably okay to make the game look prettier again I guess.

Sard fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 22, 2016

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Finished the DLC, incredibly minor spoilery opinions that I'll tag anyway because I know how goons are: Final boss is incredibly fun, having a 3 phase boss fight is a great idea and I'll definitely be sunbroing there but the lack of bosses as you progress through the Painted world definitely hurts the DLC. Friede's Great Scythe is going to be a ridiculous weapon and will probably get nerfed, already I've seen a fellow phantom pretty much carry the host through a boss fight with it.

3 hours for the DLC if you explore thoroughly sounds right to anyone who is doubting the early review scores, but it would be pretty easy to just breeze straight through it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wish my PS4 had not fried, acid breath griefing looks great. The new poise mechanics look like a clusterfucked attempt at fixing it, ending up favouring certain weapons that will lead to a new cookiecutter R1 spammer build that needs serious poise-murdering attacks on them from preferably several targets to drop poise.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 22, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm doing a Deprived run for the first time through DS1 and it's astonishing how good the club is. Why have I never used these? I'm going to go for the Dragon Tooth. DS2 Deprived is a real shitshow of a start isn't it? I thought this was going to be similarly rough but since you can just buy a heater shield for 100% defense it's pretty much not a big deal.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Despite the various different balance shifts throughout the series and the ways that different metas have developed, it's pretty much been consistently true that one-handed blunt weapons are really, really loving good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dan Didio posted:

Despite the various different balance shifts throughout the series and the ways that different metas have developed, it's pretty much been consistently true that one-handed blunt weapons are really, really loving good.

Deprived's actually an easier start than most in DS1, it just was a little surprising.

That said I decided to try killing the crestfallen knight immediately upon entering Lordran and god drat he parries everything. I learned to parry good though myself finally as a result. :downs:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the lack of obvious transparency w/r/t how a level 0 weapon will turn out once you've upgraded it to +5/+10 is a pretty archaic design decision. or rather, DS has its roots in a much older style of RPG that purposely obscured game mechanics because the expectation was you were going to keep handwritten notes and graph paper by your desk as you meticulously checked every square on a 400 square grid for hidden doors or loot or whatever.

plus, you can't have trap options and meta-game mastery if everyone is playing on a transparent, level playing field!

There are no trap options, and meta-game mastery is really only an issue if you want to do MLG fight clubs (which is like .1% of the total game). Once again: you can beat this game with any weapon if you're good at dodging and understand combat. Even if you make the worst possible choice, like turning your weapon into an enchanted version that does less damage, it's easy to reverse. Literally the only thing that really matters about a weapon is its moveset, and you can experience that within the first 30 seconds of acquiring it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Dirty DLC-havers: Does the NG+ version(s) of the DLC have any differences?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I hope the final DLC is a Prisoner-esque gently caress you to loresters, because the spasms they keep going into are intolerable

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If I get to hear Nito sing Dry Bones while the player character, Patches, Vendrick, and Solaire get into a dance party with DDR controls as the final challenge, I will die happy

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

There are no trap options, and meta-game mastery is really only an issue if you want to do MLG fight clubs (which is like .1% of the total game). Once again: you can beat this game with any weapon if you're good at dodging and understand combat. Even if you make the worst possible choice, like turning your weapon into an enchanted version that does less damage, it's easy to reverse. Literally the only thing that really matters about a weapon is its moveset, and you can experience that within the first 30 seconds of acquiring it.

Very true. It's all about the move set.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Someone who's played the DLC/looked at the weapon and spell lists tell me if I should prepare my NG Pyromancer or NG+ Faith caster for my first playthrough of it. I really hope there's a decent weapon with actual innate Faith scaling worth poo poo now, the best Faith weapons in the vanilla game is stuff like Raw Dragonslayer's Axe and other good raw weapons like the rear end (no scaling obviously) and Lightning infusions on weapons that get good Faith-scaling after being infused but have none on their own. Also most are really boring generic weapons sadly. Even Dragonslayer Swordspear is actually kind of poo poo if you're pure Faith like me with only enough STR/Dex to wield it, the art is still gangbusters but you get basically no stat-scaling on its actual damage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting tremendous lag on PC after the patch?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If I get to hear Nito sing Dry Bones while the player character, Patches, Vendrick, and Solaire get into a dance party with DDR controls as the final challenge, I will die happy

Sounds like something The Pruld would do.

Insurrectionist posted:

Someone who's played the DLC/looked at the weapon and spell lists tell me if I should prepare my NG Pyromancer or NG+ Faith caster for my first playthrough of it. I really hope there's a decent weapon with actual innate Faith scaling worth poo poo now, the best Faith weapons in the vanilla game is stuff like Raw Dragonslayer's Axe and other good raw weapons like the rear end (no scaling obviously) and Lightning infusions on weapons that get good Faith-scaling after being infused but have none on their own. Also most are really boring generic weapons sadly. Even Dragonslayer Swordspear is actually kind of poo poo if you're pure Faith like me with only enough STR/Dex to wield it, the art is still gangbusters but you get basically no stat-scaling on its actual damage.

Either would be fine, but neither gets all that much good stuff. Each gets a new weapon and a new spell. The faith weapon is a flail that casts miracles and has a hammer-like moveset, and the faith spell is the homing/returning discus you can see in some of the trailers. The pyro weapon is a god-damned torch with a proper moveset and what seems to be good scaling, and the spell is that same one that the poison mages dudes in the Demon Ruins use, the one that makes the stationary fire orbs that pelt you with fireballs). So pyro probably wins out.

As always, quality wins out the most.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Paracelsus posted:

DS2 was actually mostly transparent about that, at least as far as upgrading went. Regular and twinkling weapons got +10% base damage per upgrade level, while dragon bone weapons got +30%. Regular weapons were double base AR at +10, twinkling were +50% at +5, and dragon bone were +150% at +5. Weapons with innate elemental damage have their physical portions follow that pattern, but the elemental portion varied from weapon to weapon. And infusion was a whole other kettle of fish that usually followed certain rules but sometimes threw them out the window.

Another reason to be upset that people disliked 2 because it wasn't 1 and made from knee-jerk away from all the great improvements.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Finished the DLC, incredibly minor spoilery opinions that I'll tag anyway because I know how goons are: Final boss is incredibly fun, having a 3 phase boss fight is a great idea and I'll definitely be sunbroing there but the lack of bosses as you progress through the Painted world definitely hurts the DLC. Friede's Great Scythe is going to be a ridiculous weapon and will probably get nerfed, already I've seen a fellow phantom pretty much carry the host through a boss fight with it.

3 hours for the DLC if you explore thoroughly sounds right to anyone who is doubting the early review scores, but it would be pretty easy to just breeze straight through it.

The AR seems to be a lie like dancers don't think it will be nerf ed. But follower curved WA will I think. That's my opinion, at least

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I just got summoned into a fight club and a guy had DLC gear. This was on PC.
DS3 doesn't have cross-platform play. The other wierd thing is that as I mentioned, the guy was in DLC gear, and I could see it, even though the dlc isn't out. So at least the equipment is already in the files, so people can get it by hacking it out, I guess. He had some antlered helm and the gladius+shield combo that does lion roar shield bashes.

Gonna stop PvPing until DLC is out, I guess.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 22, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

I just got summoned into a fight club and a guy had DLC gear. This was on PC.
DS3 doesn't have cross-platform play. The other wierd thing is that as I mentioned, the guy was in DLC gear, and I could see it, even though the dlc isn't out. So at least the equipment is already in the files, so people can get it by hacking it out, I guess. He had some antlered helm and the gladius+shield combo that does lion roar shield bashes.

Gonna stop PvPing until DLC is out, I guess.

That's nothing new. Most of the DLC content is in the patch that comes before the DLC (previously literally all of the DLC content was in the patch and the DLC you downloaded was just the item to activate it) so it's easy enough to spawn the weapons with cheat engine.

Speaking of, this guy made a video showing off all of the new weapons (save one) so if anyone's curious about their stats and poo poo I'd recommend checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plXso9XwFIk

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yoko Taro is not confirmed for director of the last DLC. Otherwise all of that would be perfectly plausible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, in seven playthroughs of Dark Souls 1 the black knights have ever only given me the black knight shield before the end of the game. gently caress you, knights.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh how I've missed grinding random weapon drops while playing Bloodborne. It's so good to be back in Dark Souls.

Does anybody with a PS4 have a spare Falchion they could give me?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

sector_corrector posted:

there are no trap options? there's weapons within the same weapon class that scale very differently from +0 to +10 and there's no way in-game to know how something is going to look at +10 without literally spending resources to grind it out. It's not like you can even say "oh well every weapon with A scaling in Strength gets +100 damage at +10" because the majority of the scaling values for weapons are calculated per-weapon, and something that looks like it might kick rear end at +0 turns out to be hot piss at +10 compared to another weapon in the same class. or, one weapon that starts with C scaling in Strength at +0 ends up with A scaling in Strength at +10, and another weapon that starts with C scaling in Strength at +0 ends up with a C scaling in Strength at +10. again, there's nothing in the game that tells you this, or gives you any indication of what a weapon will look like as it levels (aside from the single next upgrade preview w/ andre).

if you want to say that the game is beatable bare-fisted by a level 1 deprived, you are 100% correct. that doesn't change the fact that many of the game's systems are pointlessly obscured with no in-game way of determining how something will work out other than trial and error. if that doesn't bother you, cool you're GIT GUD as heck, but it is a flaw in the way the game handles upgrading weapons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for real tho, just because someone can beat the game at level 1 barehanded does not mean that anyone can do the same thing. I hate when people bring that up like it proves anything. go do it if you think it's that easy

some weapons in this game are just bad and that's all there is to it. if you really wanna use the worst options in a weapon class then go for it, but that doesn't mean they aren't bad or that they don't make things a lot harder on you

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Freaking Crumbum posted:

there are no trap options? there's weapons within the same weapon class that scale very differently from +0 to +10 and there's no way in-game to know how something is going to look at +10 without literally spending resources to grind it out. It's not like you can even say "oh well every weapon with A scaling in Strength gets +100 damage at +10" because the majority of the scaling values for weapons are calculated per-weapon, and something that looks like it might kick rear end at +0 turns out to be hot piss at +10 compared to another weapon in the same class. or, one weapon that starts with C scaling in Strength at +0 ends up with A scaling in Strength at +10, and another weapon that starts with C scaling in Strength at +0 ends up with a C scaling in Strength at +10. again, there's nothing in the game that tells you this, or gives you any indication of what a weapon will look like as it levels (aside from the single next upgrade preview w/ andre).

Are there specific examples of trap weapons other than the Drake Sword you can cite to for this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There really aren't that many outright bad weapons, and those that are bad (e.g. the mail breaker) are obviously so. If a weapon starts out usable then it will be so throughout the game. It may not be as good as another weapon in its class, but that doesn't mean you're hamstringing yourself by having chosen it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Which Dark Souls are we talking about right now? Because in DS3, there sure are a lot of completely terrible weapons, especially in comparison with others of their type, and I do think they have to be put under that scrutiny: if the moveset isn't unique (true for e.g. most daggers, curved swords...), the range isn't, the speed isn't, what else is there to compare but damage? It's really weird to me how you have at least three daggers in DS3 that are absolute garbage whereas in DS2 you had a dagger that is best at riposting, a dagger that is best at pure damage for a quality build, one for a dex build, one for mages to enchant, a really light one, one that's good at poise-breaking (HA!) etc. ...

Also, I truly was miffed when I wanted to find a decent weapon to Chaos infuse for my pyromancer because I am honestly too lazy to cast Flame Arc everytime something needs getting fired up, and the otherwise quite okay as damage-dealer Corvian Greatknife is utterly, completely worthless as a Chaos weapon whereas the Shotel is just fine and apparently (haven't tried it yet) the Thrall Axe approaches "good" which is practically amazing because holy poo poo are elemental infusions terrible to begin with. This makes zero sense and I absolutely do not get why it has to be that way.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simply Simon posted:

Which Dark Souls are we talking about right now? Because in DS3, there sure are a lot of completely terrible weapons, especially in comparison with others of their type, and I do think they have to be put under that scrutiny: if the moveset isn't unique (true for e.g. most daggers, curved swords...), the range isn't, the speed isn't, what else is there to compare but damage?
Poison, bleed, gets back FP, shield piercing, crit modifier, etc.

I think a lot of the "bad" weapons in DS3 are ones designed around a particular niche role that isn't strong enough for reasons outside of the weapon's usefulness as a weapon. For example, all of the Ghru weapons are bad because they give up other strength for poison, but poison is worthless outside of Storyteller's Staff, and the FP restoration weapons don't actually give you enough to be useful. They were meant to fill a conceptual space that no one ended up caring about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

By the time you notice that a weapon isn't really good, you shouldn't have it upgraded past +5 or +6 so there's plenty of room to change it and not waste slabs on it. And even if you use the slabs on a bad weapon, you can finish NG with any +9 and get more slabs on NG+ or start another character.