Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yo Rare is making a good looking pirate game sooooo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to have to make a video compilation of all the youtube commentors who mistook Link's arrowtime mechanic as slowdown on the tablet.

Look at the windblown grass when Link is just standing still in handheld mode it looks chunky as hell

e: also when the monster stands back up

Sure there's a lot of optimization done in the last few months of development, and it's now obvious they were just superimposing the footage onto greenscreened tablets, it's just super weird Nintendo chose some framey rear end footage to use in their Switch reveal

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rare are filthy mudblood traitors, which is why we will never see Blast Corps 2

I hope you enjoyed all those Nintendo games in the Replay bundle Microsoft :argh:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

wicka posted:

if it doesn't feature games from every major nintendo IP then the entire idea of merging their platforms would be kind of pointless

So you are guaranteeing that the Switch will have an Advance Wars game?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I can't wait for F-Zero and Balloon Fight on the Nintendo Switch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

So you are guaranteeing that the Switch will have an Advance Wars game?

He said "major"

At this point even Metroid ain't major, dog

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Yo Rare is making a good looking pirate game sooooo

Look at the windblown grass when Link is just standing still in handheld mode it looks chunky as hell

Sure there's a lot of optimization done in the last few months of development, and it's now obvious they were just superimposing the footage onto greenscreened tablets, it's just super weird Nintendo chose some framey rear end footage to use in their Switch reveal
I think for better or worse Nintendo likes to show their games as they are and doesn't bullshit them (aside from the superimposing of course). they're willing to show 3DS trailers in all their horribly chunky pixel glory at E3, and they were willing to show Star Fox Zero in all its sparseness at E3 2015

the last time I could associate bullshots with Nintendo was the first Red Steel game on Wii, which had screenshots that were rendered at a higher internal resolution for magazines/press, for whatever reason (maybe to not look embarassing next to first person games on 360/PS3)

I would expect Zelda to be pretty optimized by release, especially if it looks the way it does on Wii U, and seemed to perform pretty well on that hardware at E3, and the Switch is a step up. But third party games, I mean the developers may just not care about how the game performs in mobile mode. We'll see, but I'm cynical there

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Infinitum posted:

All I'm saying is the Switch better have a Metroid game.

And it better be a METROID game and none of this Federation Force or THE BABY nonsense.

Metroid Prime 4: Federation Force 2: The Other Baby

Infinitum posted:

Also Blast Corps 2

I wanted Blast Corps for Christmas but when I wrote my list I put down Body Harvest instead for some reason so I own Body Harvest.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
If I have a Switch I want to keep at home and a Switch I want to carry around, can I use kojima's transfarring to transfar the save file from one console to the other?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gorgolflox posted:

Metroid Prime 4: Federation Force 2: The Other Baby: Pinball

Except then it would own.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope the next Metroid game is a crossover with F-Zero and Star Fox, and you can switch freely between Nintendo's three best.bounty hunters: Captain Falcon, Falco, and Samus. And it turns out Falco is the last surviving Chozo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

None of that really bothers me, but it doesn't matter because I'm not talking about downscaling. I'm talking about videogame people mistaking a game mechanic for slowdown.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The video showing successful college aged people enjoying the Switch IS marketing to younger crowds. It's easy to make fun of as an older person because it doesn't line up with the reality of most of our lives, but to dumb high/middle schoolers, this kind of junk is still part of their hazy ideal future.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think for better or worse Nintendo likes to show their games as they are and doesn't bullshit them (aside from the superimposing of course). they're willing to show 3DS trailers in all their horribly chunky pixel glory at E3, and they were willing to show Star Fox Zero in all its sparseness at E3 2015

the last time I could associate bullshots with Nintendo was the first Red Steel game on Wii, which had screenshots that were rendered at a higher internal resolution for magazines/press, for whatever reason (maybe to not look embarassing next to first person games on 360/PS3)

I would expect Zelda to be pretty optimized by release, especially if it looks the way it does on Wii U, and seemed to perform pretty well on that hardware at E3, and the Switch is a step up. But third party games, I mean the developers may just not care about how the game performs in mobile mode. We'll see, but I'm cynical there

or, conversely, none of this fake game footage is indicative of anything whatsoever

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/789221519243157504

Hatoful Boyfriend for Switch when

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Can't wait to play with Wang and my friend's Wangs with my Switch

Shadow Warrior 2 jokes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gaspy Conana posted:

The video showing successful college aged people enjoying the Switch IS marketing to younger crowds. It's easy to make fun of as an older person because it doesn't line up with the reality of most of our lives, but to dumb high/middle schoolers, this kind of junk is still part of their hazy ideal future.

It's not all bull, I ignore my dog daily in favor of video games.

(I don't actually have a dog.)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Mega64 posted:

It's not all bull, I ignore my dog daily in favor of video games.

(I don't actually have a dog.)

Please don't ignore your dog, it just wants to be loved

e: realized the joke too late but my point still stands

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Downwell 2

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
How is Switch emulation coming along?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BGrifter posted:

How is Switch emulation coming along?

Gonna be a while, tbh

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Soul Glo posted:

It's that dog episode of Futurama but instead of Fry getting frozen it's just some idiot playing Zelda forever at a park

The battery life won't be that good.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I'm surprised that the Switch doesn't seem to have a vertical mode. They could have made it to work like a 2ds and then include compatibility with all of the DS systems.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

DalaranJ posted:

The battery life won't be that good.

Sources tell me battery life will be 12 - 14 hours

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Confirmed!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I can't wait for F-Zero and Balloon Fight on the Nintendo Switch

As NES games in a new Animal Crossing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

How much could no touch screen save per unit?

I could see them cutting every little thing to get under 300.
Or they want people to see that IT'S NOT A TABLET YOU GUYS based on wiiu confusions.
Or they assume people know you can put your greasy mitts on a screen in tyool 2017, so they wanted to highlight how you game on it.

The ore I think about it, a tablet with not poo poo games and not poo poo controls is really appealing to me. The shield and other stuff I wrote off knowing that if they had support and actual games after a year or so I would hear about it, I do trust Nintendo enough to give me 1st party games for it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

About to go to Starbucks for a little pickmeup. If it was March I could bring my Nintendo Switch and impress all the little kids and hot babes with a nice, on-the-go gaming session. The next six months can't go by soon enough.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Balloon Fight on the Nintendo Switch

If they make a new one its a day one purchase for me. Best 1st party NES game imho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wicka posted:

or, conversely, none of this fake game footage is indicative of anything whatsoever
the mario footage is absolutely from a real game because it's been known that EAD's been working on the next Mario for a while

but yes the skyrim footage was merely to spec and bethesda already said as such

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it is bad strategy to have no news until next year though.

We all know there will be some "bad" news about the Switch. Battery life, storage, maybe something bad with online, maybe price.

Just give people the bad news now, so later you can give the game lineup and erase the bad news from their minds. If you do it the other away their last impression before it's released is the sour one.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The only thing "bad" about the Switch is that we can't get it into your hands right away. Sorry folks, quality takes time. It'll all be worth the wait, I promise.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I absolutely love the concept. As someone who've been commuting a fair bit lately, and not always having time to devote to full-length console games that I can only play when at home, this unification is awesome. More than that, Nintendo having a single unifying machine that can be the sole focus of developers is just great.

That said, the advertising strategy that Nintendo is using is supremely confusing. It's so strange that it took so long to get this information about the Switch, and now they are going to clam up till next year? I understand they don't want to kill sales of the Wii-U and 3DS etc, but you've got to get that hype train going.

Extremely curious about backwards compatability. If there's no Wii-U backwards compatability, I might go ahead and finally buy one when that's announced since they'll be dirt cheap despite actually having a number of solid AAA games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're taking very careful control of the message. They don't want to provide information that would make people say "Oh, like the Wii U." People thought the Wii U was some sort of tablet you attached to a Wii, so the video focuses specifically on the Switch as a new device and includes no tablet-like features.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was nobody touching the screens because those were mock-ups with images on them were overlaid in post? That probably becomes a bitch to edit if you want the fingers and the game synchronised.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Was nobody touching the screens because those were mock-ups with images on them were overlaid in post? That probably becomes a bitch to edit if you want the fingers and the game synchronised.

seems that way

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

I feel like this sentence would be more accurate without the slash.

Bombadilillo posted:

How much could no touch screen save per unit?

I could see them cutting every little thing to get under 300.

Honestly, I wonder if it would actually be more expensive for Nintendo to get their own special non-touch screens made, compared to just buying off-the-shelf touchscreens. Basically every small screen made today is touch. But really, there's no way they'd cheap out on it. Besides the fact that people are used to navigating phone/tablet UIs via touch, not having it would mean no Mario Maker port.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

They're still gonna have to have alternate control options for Mario Maker so that you can play and build on it while it's docked.

Release a pack-in mouse a la Mario Paint, something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think that Mario Maker will be on Switch.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Switch will have something for everyone. Good games like Mario and Splatoon, and buggy games like Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

They're still gonna have to have alternate control options for Mario Maker so that you can play and build on it while it's docked.

Release a pack-in mouse a la Mario Paint, something.

Ehhh, I don't know. The vast majority of games will obviously work that way - it's called the Switch for a reason - but Mario Maker feels to me like the rare exception, where they'll just say that the touchscreen is too integral to the level building process. Not to actually playing the levels, though.

• Locked thread