Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm really surprised there's not more uproar from Filipino-Americans or expats here in the States, this sort of diplomatic row could really gently caress a lot of people over if the State Dept decides to play hardball and embarrass Duerte by showing him how small of a player he actually is.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of terrible Filipino-Americans who have the "gently caress You Got Mine" attitude, so they don't care (isn't this related to the common Filipino trait of "crab mentality"?). There's also a huge portion of FilAms who supported Duterte during the election because of his anti-corruption stance (or because they're from Davao), so they still support him because of cognitive dissonance at this point.

Also a little off topic: there are also a ton of FilAm Trump supporters (and Republicans) for similar reasons - gently caress you got mine, outright racists that hate Obama/blacks and Mexicans, conservative due to culture/religious beliefs. Interestingly, I've noticed that these beliefs also kind of closely emulate those of white people in the same places they live in (vote Republican in red states and vote Democrat in blue states). I guess Filipinos are obsessed with being white that much.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/147344/hyperbole-solon-says-of-dutertes-vow-to-cut-ties-with-us

quote:

“This is again President Duterte’s usual hyperbole,” Lagman said in a statement he issued on Thursday. “He does not mean it. The country cannot afford to completely sever ties with traditional economic and security allies like the US. He is just catering to the goodwill of his Chinese hosts. Diplomacy is ‘polygamy.’ A country is ‘married’ to multiple allies.”

Well, that would be reassuring if it wasn't terribly worded and if the president didn't have a track record of instantly doubling down on the opposite of his statements.

This is happening, for real, isn't it? :cripes:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ihatepants posted:

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of terrible Filipino-Americans who have the "gently caress You Got Mine" attitude, so they don't care (isn't this related to the common Filipino trait of "crab mentality"?). There's also a huge portion of FilAms who supported Duterte during the election because of his anti-corruption stance (or because they're from Davao), so they still support him because of cognitive dissonance at this point.

Yeah I see a lot of this in my partner's family; two of her uncles are a doctor and an architect who live in the whitest parts of Massachusetts and Colorado, respectively. They're nice guys, but they definitely embody that bootstrap mythology, "fiscal conservative, socially liberal" immigrant stereotype to varying amounts. It's weird.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ihatepants posted:

Also a little off topic: there are also a ton of FilAm Trump supporters (and Republicans) for similar reasons - gently caress you got mine, outright racists that hate Obama/blacks and Mexicans, conservative due to culture/religious beliefs. Interestingly, I've noticed that these beliefs also kind of closely emulate those of white people in the same places they live in (vote Republican in red states and vote Democrat in blue states). I guess Filipinos are obsessed with being white that much.

Can't dig up the source right now, but I believe there was one poll that showed that Fil-Americans are the group that has the largest percentage of Trump supporters across all Asian-American ethnicities.

On the one hand, all of the Asian-American groups are majority breaking for Clinton, but on the other hand I don't know how much of that is about Trump being an exceptionally bad candidate, since polling in prior election cycles does reflect that Fil-Ams trend heavily Republican.

I think it has to do with how much Fil-Am immigrants are from the middle and upper-class, so there's a strong FYGM mentality at work.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can't dig up the source right now, but I believe there was one poll that showed that Fil-Americans are the group that has the largest percentage of Trump supporters across all Asian-American ethnicities.

On the one hand, all of the Asian-American groups are majority breaking for Clinton, but on the other hand I don't know how much of that is about Trump being an exceptionally bad candidate, since polling in prior election cycles does reflect that Fil-Ams trend heavily Republican.

I think it has to do with how much Fil-Am immigrants are from the middle and upper-class, so there's a strong FYGM mentality at work.

I feel a lot of this has to do with the special brand of crazy Catholicism we have at home as well as our colonial mentality and obsession with being and acting white as hell.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Asian break from the Republican party occurred way back in the 1990s and 'formally' occurred (more Dem than Rep) in 1996. Since 2004, the split has been extremely partisan toward Dem.

This next figure shows support for Romney among Asian subgroups:

And here is some data for Trump from May:

quote:

Trump’s favorability ratio is a terrible 19-61. There’s not a huge amount of variation by nation of origin, either, in case you are wondering if the numbers are skewed by Muslims. Trump’s best national-origin category is Vietnamese at 22-57; his worst is Koreans at 10-80.

Source: NYMag

And from 538, more recent data (October) shows he has made a few inroads with a few Asian communities:

So Trump's support among Asians is WAY worse than Romney or any other Republican in history. These inroads must be related to Duterte's rise, in my opinion.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 21, 2016

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Fojar38 posted:

I can't imagine the Philippine military or foreign policy establishment are pleased about all this

Edit: Hell I'd be making GBS threads my goddamn pants if I were a Filipino executive

Honestly, at this point I would not be surprised to see members of the government, especially Defense Secretary Lorenzana, resign. I think Yasay is too much of an old buddy of Duterte's (and is also only on board until end of June when Cayetano can take over) to quit but there has got to be some incredible frustration in Manila.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://naasurvey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/NAAS2016-Oct5-report.pdf

Not just the highest percentage of Trump supporters, but also the highest percentage of people who don't want the government doing more to help put black people and white people on equal footing, the highest percentage against the Affordable Care Act, the highest percentage opposed to letting Syrian refugees into America, and tied for the highest for opposing emission control to mitigate climate change. At least we aren't the worst at wanting Muslims banned? :cripes:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huhhh. And the only Catholic majority Asian immigrant group.

Whouda thoughit

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Argue posted:

http://naasurvey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/NAAS2016-Oct5-report.pdf

Not just the highest percentage of Trump supporters, but also the highest percentage of people who don't want the government doing more to help put black people and white people on equal footing, the highest percentage against the Affordable Care Act, the highest percentage opposed to letting Syrian refugees into America, and tied for the highest for opposing emission control to mitigate climate change. At least we aren't the worst at wanting Muslims banned? :cripes:

Hey, even if they're the worst Asian Americans, they're still not nearly as bad as white Americans!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ihatepants posted:

I guess Filipinos are obsessed with being white that much.
This is unfortunately incredibly loving true.

The difference being that Filipino prime time television consists of almost entirely angry shouting and crying.

To nobody's surprise, the working-class and poors of the Philippines absolutely don't like how things are turning out. I hope the few relatives from the side of my family worth giving a poo poo about who still live there are okay :(

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Spin! Pivot! Pirouette!

Duterte says he will not sever US ties - Rappler

quote:

DAVAO, Philippines (UPDATED) – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday, October 22, he would [now] not sever his nation's alliance with the United States, as he clarified his announcement that he planned to "separate."

"It's not severance of ties. Severance is to cut diplomatic relations. I can not do that. Why? It’s for the best interests of my country that we maintain that relationship. Why? Because there are many Flipinos in the US, Americans of Filipino ancestry," Duterte told reporters in his hometown of Davao after returning from China.

The firebrand leader signalled on Thursday during his 4-day state visit to Beijing that he announced a “separation” from the United States in both military and economic aspects in favor of China and Russia.

He explained that this "separation" merely means to “chart another way” in terms of foreign policy from the Western power.

“Separation of my foreign policy, that it need not dovetail the foreign policy of America. That’s what I meant actually…Separate is just to chart another way of doing it,” he said.

“What I was really saying was, separation of a foreign policy. In the past, and until I became president, we always follow what the US would give the cue. What he would give, the cue, that we are there, we are there, we follow. Pasunod-sunod tayo. ‘Di ako magsunod (We always follow. I won’t follow.),” said Duterte.

But asked if American companies like business process outsourcing companies should worry about the economic aspect of the "separation," Duterte said, “I worry that they would not get out of this country, that you have to force them. That is my worry.”

On whether or not his “separation” would affect defense agreements with the US like the Enhanced Defence Cooperation Act (EDCA), Duterte said, “Maybe.”

But he intends to speak with the military leadership about this first.

“I have to consult the military, the police, and everybody because, at the end of the day, it is all security,” said Duterte.

Asked about his hopes to further ties with China and Russia, Duterte said this could take the form of a “military alliance” or an “economic bloc.”

Edit: I think the bit in bold is actually reported badly by Rappler and Duterte was talking about "them", the American military, getting out.

chird fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 22, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pretty sure he's a failed Trump clone.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty sure he's a failed Trump clone.
Unlike Trump, he contained his crazy long enough to actually get elected.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's an open relationship

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

sincx posted:

Unlike Trump, he contained his crazy long enough to actually get elected.

No, he ran on a platform of slaughtering drug addicts in the street without trial. People voted for him, knowing this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BarbarianElephant posted:

No, he ran on a platform of slaughtering drug addicts in the street without trial. People voted for him, knowing this.

Lets be honest, if a Republican ran in the primary on killing illegals there is a distinct possibility they could get a plurality of primary voters and that the RNC wouldn't rat gently caress them out of the nomination.

I was wondering but are there any good resources on Chinese over seas investments? As well as how well such investments benefit the countries they invest in?

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 22, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

I was wondering but are there any good resources on Chinese over seas investments? As well as how well such investments benefit the countries they invest in?
Yep, but a lot of the stuff was rendered outdated with first the financial crisis and then the shale oil boom.

I can then give you a buncha African examples but for a variety of reasons, the situation in the Philippines is different enough that they are of relatively limited use, but they give a glimpse at least at how they operate. This journal is open to the public and is a good starting point. Cheru and Obi are pretty highly respected academics and I'd definitely trust any articles they vouch for. Most of my other primary sources you'd either have to buy or get through journal access though; my copies are on my kindle and I haven't the foggiest how to get them out~

You can also just ask questions I guess? I'm pretty busy these days but eh, maybe I'd answer them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yep, but a lot of the stuff was rendered outdated with first the financial crisis and then the shale oil boom.

I can then give you a buncha African examples but for a variety of reasons, the situation in the Philippines is different enough that they are of relatively limited use, but they give a glimpse at least at how they operate. This journal is open to the public and is a good starting point. Cheru and Obi are pretty highly respected academics and I'd definitely trust any articles they vouch for. Most of my other primary sources you'd either have to buy or get through journal access though; my copies are on my kindle and I haven't the foggiest how to get them out~

You can also just ask questions I guess? I'm pretty busy these days but eh, maybe I'd answer them.

Thankyou very much this could be very helpful.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Never thought I'd live to see the day someone called deceitful penguin helpful

i mean this in a good way.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
It may just be a deception. Deceitful, if you will.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
When I saw this in the news, it struck me as staggeringly incompetent on the part of Filipino Trump. The US (for really obvious reasons) says that extra-judicial murder of drug-dealers is a bit screwed up, and he throws this hissy fit and says "Well maybe i'll turn to Russia and China. How would you like that?" In the short term, it might seem like a nice way to get back at apparent US meddling. But the fact is that China claims an enormous amount of the South China Sea, including areas well within waters that the Philippines has a much better claim to. Fishing areas used by Filipinos for generations are now being blocked by Chinese warships. Indeed, international courts ruled in favor of the Philippines a few months ago, whereupon China predictably told the court to go gently caress itself.

Does Filipino Trump truly believe that by aligning his country with China that they might perhaps give their land, or rather offshore waters, back? Hell no. The CCP is probably laughing their asses off about this behind the scenes because they are going to get to take advantage of an idiot who seems set on burning the bridge to the one country that actually could and would help the Philippines out in protecting itself from China's Imperialism.

I wonder what the people of the Philippines think of all this. About having a leader who is being played for a fool all because he can't take some legitimate criticism over some messed up stuff he is doing.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 22, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the Chinese-speaking part of the Internet are writing up Duterte as a great dude for siding with China and daring to speak his mind, ignoring completely all his other insane poo poo incl the EJKs urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If Doots can pull this off (cut relations with the US) it's basically game over in the Philippines, and he'll be able to go full dictator.

Not because working with the US is some magical panacea, but rather if he can do it without:
A)any external handlers/money men realizing that the bread for their butter would go away, and stopping him
B)Some vestigial element of the rest of the government discovering a spine and realizing it's a terrible idea
C)a population that polls overwhelmingly positive for the US, more than any country in the world including the US freaking out

Then that means he's got the levers of power thoroughly locked down. Luckily he's already walking it back apparently.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Pretty sure he's not walking back anything, I reckon the plan all along has been to get money from both the Chinese and Americans. Now he has his Chinese money I'm sure some doors will be opening to the Americans. A rather unsubtle ploy but there you go.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not so sure. He's said to have a history of hating the US for denying him a visa, and hating the US in general. He's literally blamed the US for the high death toll and destruction the Philippines suffered during WWII. You know, the war where the Japanese occupied the Philippines and sent people on death marches.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flayer posted:

Pretty sure he's not walking back anything, I reckon the plan all along has been to get money from both the Chinese and Americans. Now he has his Chinese money I'm sure some doors will be opening to the Americans. A rather unsubtle ploy but there you go.

You're giving him way too much credit, and his current legacy is: He's an idiot that can't figure out what side of the street he wants to play ball on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

You're giving him way too much credit, and his current legacy is: He's an idiot that can't figure out what side of the street he wants to play ball on.

Nah, he's an idiot that wants to play on both sides of the street and thinks he's clever enough to pull it off

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Some incisive Taiwanese commentary on Duterte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0_DLnyM3s0

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CronoGamer posted:

We're doing news the wrong way.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

muike posted:

Never thought I'd live to see the day someone called deceitful penguin helpful

i mean this in a good way.
I have a gold thread in A/T where folks do it all the time lol

Too bad the dude got probated, but if ehh, it will still be relevant a week from now and maybe we'll have info on the nature of the loans then

CronoGamer posted:

This is probably their best one yet, drat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

:owned:

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, he's an idiot that wants to play on both sides of the street and thinks he's clever enough to pull it off
Yes, like the amount of times this strategy has worked for anyone in the real world,

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yes, like the amount of times this strategy has worked for anyone in the real world,
Angola, Iceland, Israel, Sweden, India; these are only the examples I know personally.

This was constantly done during the Cold War, it continued afterwards in a lesser form and several resource driven countries have used Chinese bidders to up prices for their resources

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CronoGamer posted:

how on earth is this video not flooded with pro-duterte comments

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it hasn't been shared enough on facebook yet

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'd actually love to see anti-duterte folks spreading it on social media and saying it was PRC chinese media laughing behind the Philippines' backs

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I don't think Duterte has any real long-term economic or military objectives in this display. It seem like empty grandstanding to demonstrate to the people at home how strong and important their he (and by extension the whole nation) is, and how it's not going to be bossed around by anyone anymore. Pretty traditional strongman rally the people behind the flag rhetoric really.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have some pro-Duterte friends who were also pretty rabidly anti-China and were expecting Duterte to show them who was boss. I wonder what they're thinking now, because they are being... quite silent on Facebook.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 22, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Angola, Iceland, Israel, Sweden, India; these are only the examples I know personally.

This was constantly done during the Cold War, it continued afterwards in a lesser form and several resource driven countries have used Chinese bidders to up prices for their resources

Sri Lanka and Titoist Yugoslavia, too, in entirely different ways!

Well okay, it might be a bit early to call the results of SL's current round of "take money from everybody as long as SL gets to retain control", but I'm optimistic, especially under the Sirisena coalition.

Last I heard the satellite facility was still going forward and Sirisena had reached a revised agreement on China's big port expansion project that was more favorable to SL than the previous thoroughly bribed administration's version.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Argue posted:

I have some pro-Duterte friends who were also pretty rabidly anti-China and were expecting Duterte to show them who was boss. I wonder what they're thinking now, because they are being... quite silent on Facebook.

Pinoy relative in America upon Duterte's return to Phils posted:

NoyPis Turn off ur bias and listen....Tag-an pa lagi ko daghana sakay dayon oy front seat pa gyud. :-D.... noyPis kalma lang ayaw'g dayon panic react sa istorya ni Digong. hahahha