Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any way to disable the intro movies, the logos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Taear posted:

How does my city shoot, then? I can't find the option at all.

You gotta build walls first.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kanfy posted:

You gotta build walls first.

Oooh, drat!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This game has a lot of great ideas, but it needs a bit of tweaking and balancing...

Bear in mind, I put in a good 150-200 hours into Civ V, so it could also just be me having to get used to the new one.

- I like districts, but sometimes they can gently caress you over a bit. You actually kinda want to build your city with a few tiles of space between it and any resources to make sure you have room for the districts. Especially if you want to build a bunch of wonders. I like this because it makes city building a lot more interesting.
- I feel like there's less unit progression, but that could be me doing a poo poo job of the research tree. I was stuck with Roman Legions (who seem a tad overpowered) for aaaaaaages until I discovered gunpowder. In fact, the research tree confuses me at the moment, but that could be just a lack of familiarity
- The AI needs to be less pissy with you for starting wars. I like that there's a bunch of ways to reduce the penalty, but it still seems a tad harsh if you want to kick Spain off your continent because they settled some useless 2 person city on it.
- Speaking of which, I was used to having 3 or 4 cities to manage in Civ V, but now I feel like they want you to have a whole bunch of cities? Is it still possible to puppet cities?
- The map is cool as poo poo, but I do wish the colours weren't as bright.
- For the love of gently caress. Put a "Restart Game" button back in the Escape Menu for the first 3 turns. Having to go through the whole setting up process each time is a pain.

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

I played a ton of Civ 1-4, but Civ5 felt a bit shallow on release and the AI was awful so I never went back to it. How does 6 rank up compared to 4?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 31, 2022

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Just to be sure I'm not missing anything, there's no way to speed up the building of districts, right? I don't see a way to buy them with gold.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand appeal. SHould all cities go in high appeal tiles or is that just a bonus thing? Does it matter fro the DISTRICTS or for the city itself?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

splifyphus posted:

Other than stacking hammers, no. There really ought to be a policy, but I haven't noticed one yet.

"There ought to be a law..."

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

SlyFrog posted:

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything, there's no way to speed up the building of districts, right? I don't see a way to buy them with gold.

montezuma can use builder charges to speed district building

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
you can chop forests, which i have done on numerous occasions, also boosts wonders

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Jastiger posted:

I don't understand appeal. SHould all cities go in high appeal tiles or is that just a bonus thing? Does it matter fro the DISTRICTS or for the city itself?

Think it's for tourism. Noticed it started mattering only with neighbourhoods

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jastiger posted:

I'm pretty sure appeal has 0 effect other than the improvements that specifically interact with it.

IE: Housing, Resorts, and National Parks.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ClaytonClaw posted:

I played a ton of Civ 1-4, but Civ5 felt a bit shallow on release and the AI was awful so I never went back to it. How does 6 rank up compared to 4?

Way too early to rank them dude, this isn't a ten hour FPS

You missed some stuff that is now realised in 6, like the religion stuff, although it's nowhere near as satisfying a layer as, say, combat

Some changes are big for Civ. Workers not being permanent, roads only existing from trace routes, no global happiness..

But it isn't shallow despite that. I can see it growing on me and the one more turn pull is definitely there

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm not sure I like how fast the district costs scale up but it's still almost always better to be settling a no-district city than not to. Wide is back.

More and more I think Civ should've gone to a system of major cities, which have full management, and minor cities which do not and simply occupy territory, give resources, and a small trickle based on adjacent hexes so that you can just fill up the map and have little things to fight over and give or take without catastrophically crippling someone.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure appeal has 0 effect other than the improvements that specifically interact with it.

IE: Housing, Resorts, and National Parks.

Isn't housing important to building a city though? If I build a city in a non appealing area, won't it stay small forever?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Panzeh posted:

I'm not sure I like how fast the district costs scale up but it's still almost always better to be settling a no-district city than not to. Wide is back.

More and more I think Civ should've gone to a system of major cities, which have full management, and minor cities which do not and simply occupy territory, give resources, and a small trickle based on adjacent hexes so that you can just fill up the map and have little things to fight over and give or take without catastrophically crippling someone.

Yeah, maybe it's the aesthetics and it's much better in VI than previous games, but the feeling is the civilization is just major cities that are more or less the same size, nothing in between, no life.

I like the neighbourhoods in this, put a few together and it looks a tad more organic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jastiger posted:

Isn't housing important to building a city though? If I build a city in a non appealing area, won't it stay small forever?

Sorry, I meant the specific Neighborhood development, not the general housing stat. I don't think it's possible to found a city in an area so terrible that there isn't at least one good spot for a Neighborhood. Not that you really want to build them anyway, they're more like a last resort for a desperate city.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ClaytonClaw posted:

Quill18 did a sort of review where he goes into this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eip_r2eph_M

I've never played Civ 4 or earlier and only got into 5 a year ago or so, when all the expansions where in and the AI and stuff was fixed, so I can't really say myself. Still, from hearing and reading about the release of earlier versions I can totally see this being the most polished Civ game at release, as he says. There's still a lot of annoying little things, UI stuff etc, but they're all really minor and easily fixed in a patch. I'm not a good enough player to really comment on the AI, and I've only played 6 or so hours so far, but it seems solid so far to me.

As Quill18 says, the AI does need tweaking because while they're good they still behave a bit too much like an AI, with all the inefficiencies and predictability that come with it. This can be tweaked and balance now that they'll get a lot of input from the player base to make them feel more organic.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ClaytonClaw posted:

VI is much deeper, the AI is regarded as at least somewhat better but it's a little inconsistent.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Can anyone explain why this site is unsuitable for a national park? It seems to fit all of the rules to me.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Star Warrior X posted:

Can anyone explain why this site is unsuitable for a national park? It seems to fit all of the rules to me.

All the tiles have to be owned by the same city. I think that they're shared between your two cities there, so if you can swap some around that might work.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

Sorry, I meant the specific Neighborhood development, not the general housing stat. I don't think it's possible to found a city in an area so terrible that there isn't at least one good spot for a Neighborhood. Not that you really want to build them anyway, they're more like a last resort for a desperate city.

In my experience it was based on trying to snag an important luxury or strategic resource that was in the middle of no where. So the desirability was low, but the resources were there.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
One of the quotes for a later patch/expansion absolutely has to be "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doredrin posted:

One of the quotes for a later patch/expansion absolutely has to be "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

I was hoping that at some point Sean Bean would die, maybe at Future Tech, and someone else would take over narrating.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doredrin posted:

Make it the quote for a Modern era Great Work of Writing :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How do you stop the AI from spamming their religion all day long if you don't want to go to war with them yet? I can't afford to keep as many apostles around as you apparently need, and the "stop converting my cities" promise is utterly useless (they just keep doing it for no penalty).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grand Fromage posted:

I was hoping that at some point Sean Bean would die, maybe at Future Tech, and someone else would take over narrating.

Have it just be the Nimoy "beep..beep..beep"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Panzeh posted:

Have it just be the Nimoy "beep..beep..beep"

That would be a nice little tribute to him. :smith:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

PaybackJack posted:

Also I love the Sean Bean narration but these quotes are not very good.

I dislike the quotes, I feel like they skew too much towards jokey, ironic stuff and pop culture, rather than classic works or speeches. There's at least two early Mark Twain quotes, and two early-to-mid Terry Pratchett quotes, for example. I like Terry Pratchett too, but why on earth are we so desperate for quotes that we're going to him twice.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
"Finished" my first game in that I'm pretty sure I've lost and I'm not sure I want to keep playing. I made the mistake of checking the actual victory metrics and found out that Japan's 53 techs researched was slightly higher than my 35. Their military seemed weak until I realized that I was just fighting all the dreg units they hadn't bothered to upgrade, and their cities were all 90+ HP Helms Deep-esque fortresses that could shred my musketmen and field cannons before I could whittle them down.

I need to take a more expansionistic approach, or at least figure out how to properly speculate on new city locations - The Civ V approach of "less is more" doesn't seem quite as true here!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

SlothBear posted:

I am not sure how exactly you're supposed to find any certain military unit

This was bugging me until I figured it out too. There isn't a discrete menu button to see a list of all of your units but you can select any unit and click on its name in the unit card in the bottom right and that'll pop up a list of all your units (including sleeping/fortified/garrisoned/great people).

Captain Oblivious posted:

Make it the quote for a Modern era Great Work of Writing :v:

I did get a Sean Bean Tolkein quote ("Not all who wander are lost" from The Hobbit) at some point in my first game, think it was for a tech unlock not a great writer.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I havent finished any games either and Ive already put about 20 hours in at least. I keep restarting because I get a new idea, or I think Im gonna in so cant be bothered mashing the turns through to make sure.

The most annoying things for me so far are nor being able to restart with the same condition from within the game like other Civs, and the custom game screen not remembering your settings.

Everything else is new or fresh enough not to bother me yet.

I still hate the Aztecs.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How long does it take for a city to stop being Occupied and all pissy about amenities? Is there something you have to build?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

PirateBob posted:

How long does it take for a city to stop being Occupied and all pissy about amenities? Is there something you have to build?

The original owner needs to cede the city to you in peace talks, or you need to eradicate the original owner completely.

I actually don't like that mechanic, or rather I don't like that ceding cities isn't automatically included in the default peace agreement. It's not like there's any reason I would -not- want them to cede cities I decided to keep, right?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

PirateBob posted:

You have to either take out its original civ or negotiate with them to cede the city.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, it does.

It doesn't put my taskbar to the background though, making it unusable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Geight posted:

I need to take a more expansionistic approach, or at least figure out how to properly speculate on new city locations - The Civ V approach of "less is more" doesn't seem quite as true here!

I hope it balances out a bit, I far prefer tall to wide.