Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

F3 definitely works in chrome. Can't confirm since I'm phone posting, but I think shift-F3 will go backwards.

e: Yep shift-f3 will go to previous results. And speaking of keyboard shortcuts in chrome--in a recent release they decided to no longer allow backspace as a shortcut for going to the previous page like pretty much every browser for the last 20 years or so. Is it possible to turn that back on?

I use Backspace to go Back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

Some older computers and devices simply can't address over 4 terabyte drives reliably, even if you make smaller partitions. If you can find the exact model of your media player, you might be able to find someone's workaround patch, but it may not be fixable.

That's what I figured. I guess I got to start searching for a media player that matches what I need and can handle the larger hard drive

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HOT! New Memes posted:

That's what I figured. I guess I got to start searching for a media player that matches what I need and can handle the larger hard drive

The latest game consoles (PS4 and Xbox One) both make great media machines that'll happily accept terabytes on terabytes of storage attached, and don't cost that much more than nice standalone media players do. Consider one of those.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
For my PC games, Is there any reason I should use fullscreen mode whenever borderless windows is available?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sometimes it is very convenient for your game to crash when you alt-tab to another window.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

The latest game consoles (PS4 and Xbox One) both make great media machines that'll happily accept terabytes on terabytes of storage attached, and don't cost that much more than nice standalone media players do. Consider one of those.

We are thinking about getting a ps4 which means the PS3 could go in the bedroom but I'm not sure if that could handle the 5 tb drive. The tv in the bedroom is older sd but fits perfectly where we need it and runs/looks well enough. The main thing I need it to do is be able to continuously play as I fall asleep to old tv episodes playing as white noise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Caufman posted:

For my PC games, Is there any reason I should use fullscreen mode whenever borderless windows is available?

For some games borderless windowed mode forces vysnc on, which adds a few frames of input lag. Overwatch is a recent example.

If you're not playing something where split-second reflexes matter then go nuts.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
If you carve the inside thin enough (not thin enough to lose its shape or something), will light show through the skin of a pumpkin? Or does it pretty effectively block light out?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

uberwekkness posted:

If you carve the inside thin enough (not thin enough to lose its shape or something), will light show through the skin of a pumpkin? Or does it pretty effectively block light out?

Yes, it will show through.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes, it will show through.

That's by carving the outside though. I don't think you can carve the inside and have it show through, the skin is what's blocking light.

But yeah, if you shave down the outside if the pumpkin you can do some cool designs.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The pumpkin thing is not that difficult to do. That said, the pumpkin will last a few days at best before it turns into a mushy mess. It's the thickness that keeps it standing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A few days ago, my Android phone forgot my wifi networks - both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz ones. Today, I found out that my wife's iPhone did the same thing, and probably about the same time judging by the amount of cell data used. What the hell would cause this to happen?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Carve pumpkin thin enough to be translucent, lacquer/varnish/Mod Podge inside and out, use LED candle, should last 7-10 days.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
My Windows 10 PC keeps turning itself on even when its 'active hours' indicate that it shouldn't do that. There isn't anything about windows update when I check the notifications, either. Is there some way to automatically record what processes are active immediately after it turns on if I'm not around (Process Monitor looks like I need to reproduce the issue myself)? Should I realistically be worried about something malicious here?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Unbelievably White posted:

My Windows 10 PC keeps turning itself on even when its 'active hours' indicate that it shouldn't do that. There isn't anything about windows update when I check the notifications, either. Is there some way to automatically record what processes are active immediately after it turns on if I'm not around (Process Monitor looks like I need to reproduce the issue myself)? Should I realistically be worried about something malicious here?

Open a command prompt (win+x and then A) and enter "powercfg -lastwake". Find that device in device manager and turn off its power management abilities. I think this article summarizes it too.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Unbelievably White posted:

That's what win 10 does by default, with no easy way to disable the updates. I got around by doing this:

Open the Settings
Open the ‘Network & Internet’ section
Open ‘Wi-Fi’ and click ‘Advanced Options’
Toggle ‘Set as metered connection’ to ‘On’

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

A few days ago, my Android phone forgot my wifi networks - both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz ones. Today, I found out that my wife's iPhone did the same thing, and probably about the same time judging by the amount of cell data used. What the hell would cause this to happen?

The iPhone recently had an update that not only "forgot" hidden wireless networks, but would not connect to them again. That might have been fixed by now

My android also temporarily forgot my work wireless networks when it detected another AP that was broadcasting the same name. Once we unplugged the second AP, connections worked again.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My girlfriend joined the Disney Movie Club way back when ours nieces and nephews were adorable and enjoyed Disney movies. Despite never accepting the movies they send in recent years, they continue to charge her credit card and wait for her to "Return to Sender" the packages. She has attempted to phone to cancel, however she never gets anyone on the phone (from what I've read this seems to be a huge issue). She contacted her credit card company, they told her they were unable to do anything since she authorized the company to make charges.

Question:

On their FAQ they provide a PO Box address. Would it be reasonable to send them a letter requesting to cancel the membership, then contacting the credit card company? I plan on phoning them during a prep next week and just attempting to get someone on the phone, I don't know how well that would go over since I am obviously not my girlfriend but have all of her information.

Edit: Additional details- apparently they are continuing to charge an expired credit card that they no longer have the dates or three-digit-number-on-the-back for, which is sketchy in my opinion

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 22, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The person she spoke to at the credit card company is incompotent. She should call them back and say that she wants to file a dispute or chargeback on the charges. They have a legal obligation to do this, if they refuse, look at the statement, there should be fine print about how to report billing errors in writing. While on the phone with the credit card company, she can also request a new card number, which will stop the automatic charges. She should still contact Disney to cancel though, or else they may try to collect.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

From what I understand, they told her that because she hasn't been in contact with the DMC to actually cancel her membership they couldn't put a stop on the charges, however she fulfilled their "contract" or whatever 6+ years ago and now they just charge away without asking. I don't see how they can attempt to collect on a transaction that cannot go through in the first place?

Anyway, I'll see if I can get her to request a new credit card number.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How does using a HSA work when it comes to taxes? I had a 1000 dollar expense that I had to pay out of a checking account since they didn't take the HSA card, so I transfered the exact amount to my checking from my HSA. I kept receipts. Am I going to have to upload the receipt next April?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

From what I understand, they told her that because she hasn't been in contact with the DMC to actually cancel her membership they couldn't put a stop on the charges, however she fulfilled their "contract" or whatever 6+ years ago and now they just charge away without asking. I don't see how they can attempt to collect on a transaction that cannot go through in the first place?

Anyway, I'll see if I can get her to request a new credit card number.
Do whatever you can to attempt to cancel from Disney. Write a letter to the PO Box or call the 1-800 number or whatever. The next time they charge your card, call the credit card company, tell them that's not your charge, they'll charge it back, and Disney will stop sending you movies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

photomikey posted:

Do whatever you can to attempt to cancel from Disney. Write a letter to the PO Box or call the 1-800 number or whatever. The next time they charge your card, call the credit card company, tell them that's not your charge, they'll charge it back, and Disney will stop sending you movies.

I'm going to send the letter I just wrote up to them, have her call her credit card company, and attempt to get through on Monday. Their business model seems to be to grasp hold of any credit card nubmer they can and not let go, I wouldn't put it past The Mouse and his cronies to sell an account to collections, no matter the circumstances, and I want her to be as covered as possible.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I'm going to send the letter I just wrote up to them, have her call her credit card company, and attempt to get through on Monday. Their business model seems to be to grasp hold of any credit card nubmer they can and not let go, I wouldn't put it past The Mouse and his cronies to sell an account to collections, no matter the circumstances, and I want her to be as covered as possible.

If you're really paranoid, send it certified so you have proof they received it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The credit card company's beef is that you are trying to chargeback a charge you authorized and you haven't legitimately cancelled your subscription (which is true). I don't think mailing it on a Saturday and charging it back on Monday is going to satisfy them. If you mail this letter and wait 30 days, it wouldn't surprise me to see the subscription stop on its own. You've been sending these movies back for six years (!!), what's another 1 month?

Alternately, just lie, call the credit card company, tell them you've never heard of Disney, charge it back, and keep the last movie.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

It's really seems she didn't even try to cancel though beside calling a phone number then giving up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm trying to remember the name of a song based on a line of lyrics, and Google isn't helping, leading me to suspect I have a word or two off. (They're also pretty generic lyrics.)

It goes something like "one dream, one vision, one chance, to be who I want to be," female vocalist, I think it might be a Marina and the Diamonds song but I'm not sure.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
If an item on amazon is priced at $30, when it's usually $300, is there any real risk for me losing money if it's a fake listing?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

photomikey posted:

The credit card company's beef is that you are trying to chargeback a charge you authorized and you haven't legitimately cancelled your subscription (which is true). I don't think mailing it on a Saturday and charging it back on Monday is going to satisfy them. If you mail this letter and wait 30 days, it wouldn't surprise me to see the subscription stop on its own. You've been sending these movies back for six years (!!), what's another 1 month?

Yeah, I get their issue with it. I'm going to send the letter Monday, there should be another movie in on Tues or Weds for me to send back, I guess changing her CC# before then would mean not getting that money back, so I guess we'll give it a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice, thread continues to deliver and guide the E/N decisions in my life!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Are the X-Men part of the rest of the primary Marvel universe, not counting parallel universe crossover stuff? Could they be in one of the new MCU movies or TV shows without pissing off fans?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

Are the X-Men part of the rest of the primary Marvel universe, not counting parallel universe crossover stuff? Could they be in one of the new MCU movies or TV shows without pissing off fans?

They're not in the movies because Marvel licensed them to FOX (who make the X-Men movies), Marvel is legally not allowed to use any X-Men characters in the MCU.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

SwissCM posted:

They're not in the movies because Marvel licensed them to FOX (who make the X-Men movies), Marvel is legally not allowed to use any X-Men characters in the MCU.

OK so in film and TV they're separate. What about in the comics?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vic Boss posted:

If an item on amazon is priced at $30, when it's usually $300, is there any real risk for me losing money if it's a fake listing?

As long as it's sold and fulfilled by Amazon you should be fine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

OK so in film and TV they're separate. What about in the comics?

In comics there's a bunch of timeline and multiverse nonsense that goes on, but generally they do exist in the same "universe" as everything else. They're separate in movies purely because of legal issues. If Marvel could get the license back they would immediately set about adding them to the MCU.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

SwissCM posted:

In comics there's a bunch of timeline and multiverse nonsense that goes on, but generally they do exist in the same "universe" as everything else. They're separate in movies purely because of legal issues. If Marvel could get the license back they would immediately set about adding them to the MCU.

Cool, thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a song based on a line of lyrics, and Google isn't helping, leading me to suspect I have a word or two off. (They're also pretty generic lyrics.)

It goes something like "one dream, one vision, one chance, to be who I want to be," female vocalist, I think it might be a Marina and the Diamonds song but I'm not sure.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

A long shot perhaps, but are you thinking of One Vision by Queen?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

A long shot perhaps, but are you thinking of One Vision by Queen?

Nah, it's not that far off. Like I thought it might have been "be what I want to be" or some other very slight variation but nothing that drastic.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

This is true, however they generally don't interact except for some specific mutants who are on other teams, or when some large storyline calls for it.

They've been separating them out more and more in the comics as the movies have gotten more important.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What mattress size is two Twins put together? I'm thinking of buying a couple new mattresses to extend my bed, and I can't quite figure out what 75" x (38.25 * 2)" = 75" x 76.5" is. I don't know if there's any standard size of linens that fits these dimensions. Is that more like a King, or is there a special size that means "two Twins"? Apparently, that's not "double".

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

This is true, however they generally don't interact except for some specific mutants who are on other teams, or when some large storyline calls for it.

They've been separating them out more and more in the comics as the movies have gotten more important.

X-Men in comics have been getting less attention in general from Marvel because FOX own the movie rights. Creating X-Men comics is basically free advertising for FOX and Marvel are competitive with them in that medium.