Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Two Owls posted:

"Boom goes the pylon!"

Um, no, no it didn't. The game's great, but there's too many times I'm going "What? Huh?".

I figured that was just a bug I encountered, but it happened on the next playthrough too so... uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
After the patch I don't gently caress understand how skill points are supposed to work in the second playthrough.
Also if an enemy kills you you lose all the karma. :psyduck:

The nerf to crafting makes it grindier, like, wtf? It was nice to be able to progress using old junk, now I am at the first chapter of an higher level and I am getting trash I won't be able to use for crafting better stuff.
I am too scared of dying to a rabbit and finding 100% money lost, I don't have good money sinks until crafting opens again...

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Karma isn't money, karma is your experience pool. Karma nets you extra skill points.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

InfinityComplex posted:

Karma isn't money, karma is your experience pool. Karma nets you extra skill points.

Pretty sure I have seen a 100% loss of money once somewhere other than 100% usual loss of karma (wtf? why?), but I may be mistaken.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

limaCAT posted:

100% usual loss of karma (wtf? why?)

Why not? Adds to the challenge, which is kind of the point of things at higher difficulty. Sure it's kind of a gut punch when you get killed with a nearly full meter, but oh well, try not to get killed next time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Losing experience is dumb as poo poo, the hell are they thinking?

It should be just losing money if anything.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

foozwak posted:

Why not? Adds to the challenge, which is kind of the point of things at higher difficulty. Sure it's kind of a gut punch when you get killed with a nearly full meter, but oh well, try not to get killed next time.

Oh well, after another session I realize that the game just compensates by throwing gems at you, and that the game system is too limited for expressing "loss" so it may be the only way it could be designed.
But nothing impedes me to play conservatively and just bore me to tedium while squishing lower level mobs instead of going :black101: on and doing the reasonable act of getting gud.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No matter what you think about SW2's story compared to SW1's story, the fact is that

They deserve it though. The gameplay still kicks rear end (with the exception of the god drat loot mechanics) and the devs are great.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 22, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, they do.

They've also said that they're planning on releasing free content in the future, like a challenge mode and new missions.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Jack Trades posted:

No matter what you think about SW2's story compared to SW1's story, the fact is that

They deserve it though. The gameplay still kicks rear end (with the exception of the god drat loot mechanics) and the devs are great.

One man's opinion a fact does not make.

The game is good but weaker than its predecessor and as much as I like Shadow Warrior 2, I can't gloss over...

- I climbed the same tower 4 times in this game for separate missions. (The first one felt more flowing and different area to area.)
- The game is 12 hours long with all side quests done.
- There is no motivation for exploration (actually it's detrimental to do so.)
- The story is quite disjointed and weaker than the flow of its predecessor. ( Goddess of tears in the first game becomes a nymphomaniac in this game and the primary Villan.)

The game is great otherwise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting upgrades and sometimes weapons isn't motivation for exploration? What?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Is there an easy way to tell what kind of ammo a gun uses without trial and error? Some are pretty obvious (no poo poo a rocket launcher is going to use rockets) but some are a little more vague (does a plasma grenade launcher use grenades or plasma?) My gimmick all-future weapons build when I'm doing a Zilla City level could use some more ammo diversity.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is there an easy way to tell what kind of ammo a gun uses without trial and error? Some are pretty obvious (no poo poo a rocket launcher is going to use rockets) but some are a little more vague (does a plasma grenade launcher use grenades or plasma?) My gimmick all-future weapons build when I'm doing a Zilla City level could use some more ammo diversity.

Hover over the weapon in your Equipped inventory tab and look at the bottom-left of the screen.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ninjahedgehog posted:

I usually get the info from the weapon info itself. Some shotguns, for example, will have an energy or plasma symbol.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

The Weapons tab shows you with a little symbol in the weapon stat block.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Accordion Man posted:

Losing experience is dumb as poo poo, the hell are they thinking?

It should be just losing money if anything.

I'd rather lose exp than money if I gently caress up and die because a single skill point effectively doesn't matter past a certain point whereas making lots of money for forging or buying good mods takes quite a lot of time. I can mash my way through selling like 100 mods and barely make half a million.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Digirat posted:

Getting upgrades and sometimes weapons isn't motivation for exploration? What?

Unless I missed something, I get more skill points by just going straight the objective and finishing the quest asap. What upgrades are you referring to?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Malek posted:

Unless I missed something, I get more skill points by just going straight the objective and finishing the quest asap. What upgrades are you referring to?

The first time. The only way beyond that is with Karma.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Malek posted:

The weapon upgrades that pop out of almost every enemy and box nonstop.

Also money, and even if those weren't there and all you got was karma for killing things, that would be enough because the action is really fun and easily the best thing about the game. There's not a lot of entirely unique content to find other than the boss on each sidequest, but saying it's detrimental to explore makes no sense.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Malek posted:

Every single level has a unique boss with a giant skull logo (which you get an achievement for beating), and the bosses have a great chance to drop new guns on top of fabulous regular loot. The bosses tend to only be available in the original missions, not Free Roam, so if you missed any on your first run, you can get them on your second.

Some of the bosses are pretty tucked away in the level with the objective about halfway in, so if you just keep moving forward through demons, you'll generally find them without fuss (while also learning some of the pieces in the random level generator fairly well).

EDIT: The new Insanity difficulties (unlocked at level 31+)really aren't messing around - Insanity 2+ is cranking the early New Game+ loot back up to mid-late game level quality, but the enemies hit like a truck and there's a lot more elites around. I've switched over to the second life medal while figuring out how to optimize the gun build, since damage auras everywhere is a huge pain. Might be worth respeccing to the aura reduction - can't just coast on raw DPS.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 23, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The only thing I think I would change about the game is a greatly simplified loot system - I don't need twelve bazillion different kinda of modifications, especially when they're each actually a double or triple modification so it becomes double confusing when each one does two things. It's a huge pain in the rear end to keep track of, especially when modifications can apply to many (bot not ALL) of the weapons. And then you've got 8 weapons and 3 slots each, it's just so much data to keep track of.

Basically, everyone pretty much just slots the same type of upgrades into a weapon to give it the best bonuses. It'll either be all "+Crit Damage" or all "+ Elemental Damage" or maybe even all "+Ammo save chance". If 90% of the players are just going to stack the same kind of upgrade, why not just have a single upgrade slot, and a single upgrade that does the same thing that 3 of them would do anyway? I do appreciate the sheer amount of player control over tweaking their weapons, but it takes so long to modify my weapons, and there's so MANY loving weapons and upgrades to contend with!

I'd much prefer to just have a couple of choice of fire modes/upgrade paths for each weapon that I could buy or purchase on my own, rather than sift through a sea of upgrades with bizarre names and compounding or conflicting bonuses. Maybe even make it so that I can switch between the modes on the fly if I've purchased them. For example, I can walk into the shoot shack, choose one of my weapons, and see what options I've got:

Pistols
  • Dual Wield
  • Charge Shot
  • Fire Rate

Melee
  • Crit Chance
  • Elemental Effect
  • Health/Chi Steal

Shotguns
  • Multi-barrel blast
  • Fire Rate
  • Ammo Save

Light Auto
  • Fire Rate
  • Ammo Save
  • Crit Chance

Heavy Guns
  • Ammo Save
  • Fire Rate
  • Turret

That's just a few off the top of my head, let me head to the gun shack and just choose which upgrade I want to slot into my gun, and if I've purchased more than one then just let me hit a button to switch fire modes in game.

If you want elemental stuff, that should just be a separate thing entirely at the forge that does a flat conversion, with upgrades becoming progressively more expensive in order to convert more of your damage to that element.

I really appreciate the sheer variety of options and control that the player has for each weapon and the ability to tweak their play style, but to be honest probably 50% of my play time was spent in menus sifting through a billion upgrades, when I should have been gibbing the gently caress out of some demons.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 23, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

ok got all 70 weapons in the game so the golden skin ones or w/e don't count towards that total

the two guns most people that ended with 68 were missing were probably:

Ryuken sword from the final boss which is now patched to give you when you beat it instead of as a drop
Jigoku pistol or Ghidorah twin melee which are a mutually exclusive choice from a quest right near the end of the game, the one you don't choose doesn't pop up in the store after so you have to complete the quest twice to get both

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

McKilligan posted:

I really appreciate the sheer variety of options and control that the player has for each weapon and the ability to tweak their play style, but to be honest probably 50% of my play time was spent in menus sifting through a billion upgrades, when I should have been gibbing the gently caress out of some demons.

After the first playthrough I learned that if you junk gems they would disappear from the weapons gem selection but not from crafting.

Also I use dmg up and large creature dmg up on revolvers because they are the best for hitting large and slow creatures like herculons, zl-209 and most bosses.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Every single level has a unique boss with a giant skull logo (which you get an achievement for beating), and the bosses have a great chance to drop new guns on top of fabulous regular loot. The bosses tend to only be available in the original missions, not Free Roam, so if you missed any on your first run, you can get them on your second.

Some of the bosses are pretty tucked away in the level with the objective about halfway in, so if you just keep moving forward through demons, you'll generally find them without fuss (while also learning some of the pieces in the random level generator fairly well).

Nope, the bosses are absolutely hanging around in free roam. (emphasis mine)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Also I use crit chance and crit power up on shotguns, helps me cleaning up rooms full of floaters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like there's a bug, maybe introduced by the patch; I'm on the mission to meet Kamiko's dad and the "Shenlong" grenade launcher dropped by the miniboss causes the entire game to lock up and I have to force it to quit. :(

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

limaCAT posted:

After the first playthrough I learned that if you junk gems they would disappear from the weapons gem selection but not from crafting.

Also I use dmg up and large creature dmg up on revolvers because they are the best for hitting large and slow creatures like herculons, zl-209 and most bosses.

Given the fact that there aren't any "levels" to enemies or weapons, I don't think +DMG should have been an upgrade choice. Seems like something you could easily design around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can't say enough good about this game's graphics and especially its optimization. There's a lot of good looking games but they're optimized like trash so they never look as good as they could, even on newer GPUs. But this game runs at 60 FPS with graphics maxed for me, which is amazing.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
+1

Solid 60FPS at 1440p with max everything, looks beautiful (esp. when it's raining) and GPU usage barely ever goes above 70%. It's amazing.

Had our first co-op session yesterday, it worked fine, even if ragdoll physics were janky. Does anyone know how quest reward options are handled for clients? I assume they just get whatever the host picks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell, this game is optimized so well that the only way I can even get it to dip below perfectly smooth frames is to double the rendering resolution so that I'm technically playing at 4K :shepface:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
For shits and giggles, I tried playing it on a Skylake iGPU and it's just about playable at 768p at low quality.

Malek posted:

One man's opinion a fact does not make.

The game is good but weaker than its predecessor and as much as I like Shadow Warrior 2, I can't gloss over...

- I climbed the same tower 4 times in this game for separate missions. (The first one felt more flowing and different area to area.)
- The game is 12 hours long with all side quests done.
- There is no motivation for exploration (actually it's detrimental to do so.)
- The story is quite disjointed and weaker than the flow of its predecessor. ( Goddess of tears in the first game becomes a nymphomaniac in this game and the primary Villan.)

The game is great otherwise.

I got the sound issue resolved with the latest GPU drivers, somehow, but now most of this is starting to seriously bug me after a few more hours of gameplay. The missions are mostly pretty anonymous fetch quests, the maps are repetitive and half-empty, and monsters as spongy as ever - the gems are pretty useless and don't do poo poo, generally. The combat mechanics are pretty good themselves though, but I really would prefer if they just dropped the rpg bullshit altogether.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So the frustrating thing in this game is there are only 8 hotbar weapons.

You know what would be awesome? A button that would cycle through any non-hotbar weapons with full gems. Make it key 9. Then you could pick a few weapons to try out without having to set and re-set your hotbar. Or when you got a new weapon you could just gem it up and try it out without having to screw with your hotbar.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'm envisioning a fun gimmick mode where you never reload or switch weapons (except for maybe fast-swapping to the katana), but once you empty a magazine the game automatically equips a random gun from your inventory.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm envisioning a fun gimmick mode where you never reload or switch weapons (except for maybe fast-swapping to the katana), but once you empty a magazine the game automatically equips a random gun from your inventory.

Why limit yourself?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They should just let you put multiple guns on the same number so repeat presses of that number cycle through whatever you've put on it.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
So is it just me or do you take elemental damage just by coming into physical contact with elemental enemies?
Because I am pretty confident that they are not hitting me while I chainsaw them while gripped, and yet I am taking damage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thejacob posted:

So is it just me or do you take elemental damage just by coming into physical contact with elemental enemies?
Because I am pretty confident that they are not hitting me while I chainsaw them while gripped, and yet I am taking damage.

Most enemies that are resistant to a damage type have a damage aura, yes. You'll take e.g. fire damage by standing next to an enemy that's on fire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Which is a real pain when you run into enemies like elemental spiders which make it their goal to crawl up your rear end in a top hat and hang out there. Or those exploding bug guys that explode into a damage over time attack when they're imbued with an element.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
did I screw up a mission ? doing the one where I'm supposed to get dual wield assault rifles as a reward, did the objedtive then explored a bit and died. went back to town and there's no way to talk to the quest giver, the mission shows as complete but I didnt get anything.

also I'm refusing to patch and using a the autoreload combined with making every gun into a single shot/super fast firing clip. it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Ah, auras would explain it.
Pretty lovely imho for a game that is at least 75% about cutting poo poo up, but you can't have it all I guess. At least I have elemental shield to stop the actual debuffs.

• Locked thread