Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We get a few calls a month about the calibrated tampers, but we only carry the espro ones linked above. It basically does a little "click" in the handle once you exceed a certain pressure. I know some of our euro suppliers have their own, but it does look like espro has really captured the north american market for them at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there an especially good resource for info on popcorn popper roasting? I just made my first batch and I'm pumped to learn more to get better at it. I've only really looked at old threads from the Sweet Maria's forum.

I had asked earlier about sources of fresh beans, I ended up going to this place in Brooklyn, they were great https://www.croptocup.com

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Romulux posted:

Stockfleth's Move

I saw that phrase in one of the YouTube-clips as well. I love that one of the local coffee chains here coined a term that appears to be used internationally.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Romulux posted:

Do any of you own an OCD? I want one just for consistency's sake. It seems like it's unnecessary depending on how consistent you are with a hand redistribution method, which is something I have no experience with yet. I'm designing my setup around consistency via grind, weight, and distribution so I can switch out any machine or bean and have a setup that will always work. Since I plan on roasting my own beans and want to test different types of beans and roasts I feel like the less variables I have to worry about the better, and $110 isn't a big investment relative to the rest of the equipment.

The OCD is useful in our cafe where you have a bunch of different people trying to get coffee to taste the same in as little time as possible, but IMO you don't need it for home use. It also has some problems -- the metal is soft and dents/scratches easily, and over the course of the day coffee grounds stick to it unless you keep it very clean (which results in your dose being off). Hopefully a V2 will fix those things.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

Romulux posted:

Do any of you own an OCD?

I don't own one but we do have one of these at the training lab at my work, and I've gotten to use it a little bit. It's worth saying my entire coffee experience is commercial so my use case is different, but I have mixed feelings on the OCD:

Pros:
Used properly, it can eliminate one of the many variables that are involved in the preparation of espresso.
It's a slick little piece of equipment that doesn't take up a ton of space on your countertop. It seems pretty durable, too. More on that in a second.

Cons:
I can say with 99% certainty that you're going to drop it on the floor at least once. The top is not very grippy at all, and everyone who has used it at work has dropped it, including people with decades of experience (not that experience means much in this case).
Grounds have a nasty tendency to cling to the ridges on the bottom, which is mostly just irritating but can cause some inconsistency if you use it again without noticing (not especially likely at home, but for me this is an actual consideration)
But the biggest complaint I have is that it feels like a beta product. If they took feedback and released a second version, it could be made significantly easier to use. Because this is a coffee gadget the likelihood of this happening is all but nonexistent, but every time I look at it this is the first thought I have.

All that said, I also thing it has a limited use for the home barista since the greatest benefit it provides is consistency. Like it's great to have a perfectly distributed puck every time, but if you're pulling one or two shots a day you're going to have a million other things that change day to day that really diminish its usefulness. I don't know if any of this helps you make a more informed decision, but I hope something in there is useful.

I additionally have some thoughts on the 270W, but I think this post is long enough already. The short version is "I would get the 270 and use the money I saved to buy a nice scale."

Fake edit: beaten!

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

grahm posted:

The OCD is useful in our cafe where you have a bunch of different people trying to get coffee to taste the same in as little time as possible, but IMO you don't need it for home use. It also has some problems -- the metal is soft and dents/scratches easily, and over the course of the day coffee grounds stick to it unless you keep it very clean (which results in your dose being off). Hopefully a V2 will fix those things.

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably end up getting one of the knockoff versions just to check them out.

Maid posted:

All that said, I also thing it has a limited use for the home barista since the greatest benefit it provides is consistency. Like it's great to have a perfectly distributed puck every time, but if you're pulling one or two shots a day you're going to have a million other things that change day to day that really diminish its usefulness. I don't know if any of this helps you make a more informed decision, but I hope something in there is useful.

I additionally have some thoughts on the 270W, but I think this post is long enough already. The short version is "I would get the 270 and use the money I saved to buy a nice scale."

I'm not going to be using it in any professional context, but I'm definitely planning on pulling more than 1 or 2 shots a day. I'm a former cook, and I'm very meticulous about my food at home and how I prepare things. When I have people over I aim to impress. I'd like to get to the point where I can pull a consistently good shot every time, so I'm considering every option to get me there. The main reason I want an OCD style distributer is because I'm going to be roasting in small batches and I want less inconsistent variables in my process to be able to better evaluate my roasts.

I was looking at the 270 too, and I definitely agree about wanting a good scale, so I'll consider going that route.

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind lengthy replies and I'm new to this so I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I would've read what you had to say about the 270W. :)

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Snowy posted:

Is there an especially good resource for info on popcorn popper roasting? I just made my first batch and I'm pumped to learn more to get better at it. I've only really looked at old threads from the Sweet Maria's forum.

I had asked earlier about sources of fresh beans, I ended up going to this place in Brooklyn, they were great https://www.croptocup.com

I've done a few roasts with the popper and the problem I've got is that I can't take the heat out of the beans quick enough. So I've got to bear that into mind when I'm roasting, to stop them before I actually want them done.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DY6FO8...SFBB27140&psc=1

What's the deal with something like this? I want to avoid fussing with rinsing and buying paper filters if possible.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 22, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Reinanigans posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DY6FO8...SFBB27140&psc=1

What's the deal with something like this? I want to avoid fussing with rinsing and buying paper filters if possible.

You seem really concerned about the hassle of paper filters, but they're the least hassle of the whole process. You're going to spend more times rinsing that thing clean than rinsing paper filters (which can be done in a few seconds). How many coffees do you drink per day? Buying filters is a "a few times a year" deal for me.

You can get it if you want, but the decision should be based around whether you'd prefer the type of coffee it makes (which will be different from paper) not based on convenience because it won't be more convenient.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there a big difference in taste between paper and metal filters? Sorry for all the questions, but I've only ever used paper filters with the coffee maker at work. I've always used reusable ones at home.

Now that I think about it, I think reusable is better for the environment too, though I can't say that really crossed my mind until just now.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Is there a big difference in taste between paper and metal filters? Sorry for all the questions, but I've only ever used paper filters with the coffee maker at work. I've always used reusable ones at home.

Now that I think about it, I think reusable is better for the environment too, though I can't say that really crossed my mind until just now.

Yes, there is a big difference. You may prefer either one.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

The metal ones let more oil through which changes the taste. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Metal filters have more oils and more coffee sediment "grit" while the paper filters have a cleaner taste.

I think paper is better in every way. Both in flavor and in ease of clean up.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Any tips for consistency when roasting with an air popper? When I first introduce the beans the movement is rapid and swirling; does this mean too few or too many beans? I have to keep the plastic hood on as otherwise beans will fly out during the later stages of roasting.

I'm ending up with 1st crack happening around 3 - 3.30 and then stopping the roast around the 6:00 mark, before second crack starts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Too few beans I think. When i used to use an air popper the beans would only barely move at first, then speed up as the water bakes off and the beans get lighter. They would only just start bouncing out at the end of the roast. If they are moving too much at first then you probably need to put more weight on top.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Frankston posted:

Speaking of online beans, anyone know any good UK-based websites? I'm looking to branch beyond 'whatever my local supermarket is stocking'.

Hasbean has been my go-to for years. Super good customer service.

Pact are good if you like the idea of subscription based coffee.

Of course the real pro move is going to be just finding a local roaster. I go to a local one in Liverpool, and they're constantly throwing free samples and overfilled bags of coffee at me.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If I'm adding say, 8 cups of coffee, generally how much ground coffee (teaspoons) should I be adding?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

If I'm adding say, 8 cups of coffee, generally how much ground coffee (teaspoons) should I be adding?

Buy a scale. Teaspoons are a bad way of measuring coffee as it is really inconsistent and a 10-20% difference will definitely impact how it tastes. You're generally looking at somewhere in the 16:1 ml of water to grams of coffee ratio range.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Whoops, meant to say 8 cups of water, because the Chemex I bought is 8 cups.

So any particular scale recommended over another, or will any decent food scale work? There's some pretty cheap ones on Amazon that have good reviews.

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
The American Weigh Scales AMW-SC-2KG Digital Pocket Scale has been the thread favorite in the past.
https://amzn.com/B001RF3XJ2

I have one of them and it works great for the price but I want something better that doesn't use batteries and is a little more spill proof. I would love a good recommendation for something a bit of a step up.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I got a Brewista smart scale. It was a little expensive for a pocket scale and it's battery-powered but it's spillproof and has a nice backlit display. It has several different settings which allow it to automatically tare and start the timer, five designed for espresso machines and one for hand-pour. I mostly use the fully manual mode these days, though.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Spuckuk posted:

Of course the real pro move is going to be just finding a local roaster. I go to a local one in Liverpool, and they're constantly throwing free samples and overfilled bags of coffee at me.

I like the way you think. I'm going to take this advice.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How important is the gooseneck kettle in comparison to a regular spout when using a pour-over?

Also, say I want to make 8 cups of coffee.

If it's 25 grams per cup, it's just simply 25 x 8 = 200 grams of ground coffee?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I generally do 20g coffee for 300g (10 oz) water. I believe the standard is a 17:1 ratio but I like it a little stronger.

The gooseneck depends on which cone you have. If it's a Hario with a big hole then yeah you'll need one. There are others like the Beehouse cone that have tiny holes. You don't need a pouring kettle for that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This is my current setup

But it sounds like the kettle should be replaced with something like this

Is that gooseneck a good deal? I'd be making something like 4-6 cups a day for my wife and I to take to work in our tumblers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think the Chemex really needs a pouring kettle.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Someone just bought one of those big Jura motherfuckers (GIGA 7) online, which isn't notable in itself. But they did it for their house. I can't imagine spending $6k on a 2-4 drinks per day home machine, or rather if I did it would be because it's a crazy Slayer or something, not a machine intended to serve like 20+ drinks a day.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

People buy $20K professional gas ranges for their home to cook mac and cheese or warm up some soup a couple times a week. :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

At least with the gas range you can argue that you're getting... like granular temperature control and a higher max temp while cooking, even if you never use it. A better comparison to that super-automatic would be buying a really really expensive, big microwave. For your pizza pockets.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

Frankston posted:

Speaking of online beans, anyone know any good UK-based websites? I'm looking to branch beyond 'whatever my local supermarket is stocking'.

Last time I was in the UK I got some beans from https://www.exoticcoffeeroasters.com that turned out very nicely.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but we have word from Baratza that our order of Sette 270s has finally shipped. Means they should start showing up online pretty soon. I'm pretty sure we've sold out on the 270 already before even getting them and probably half of our 270w

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but we have word from Baratza that our order of Sette 270s has finally shipped. Means they should start showing up online pretty soon. I'm pretty sure we've sold out on the 270 already before even getting them and probably half of our 270w

How do I buy your 270w?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ha, welp, turns out that was a case of snooze = lose for you. Not sure if you'd want to anyway since we're a Canadian company that doesn't really do cross-border unless it's a >$3,000 machine anyway. Those Ws are gone. We placed another order for 270/270w today (and Encore, and Vario, seeing a lot of movement on Baratza) but they are already backordered again. We had a pretty big signup/pre-order list to boot. I >think< if we're getting ours in that time frame the US people should have them probably tomorrow, but they might be pre-ordered up as well.

To tell the truth I'm wondering if the hype will be real or not, quite a few Baratza grinders have had teething problems out the gate. I'm hearing already some have been shipped with the wrong portafilter holders.

EDIT-First impressions thread from home-barista:
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/baratza-sette-end-user-reports-t43862.html

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 3, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Is bluetooth the only difference between the 270 and 270w?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Hauki posted:

Is bluetooth the only difference between the 270 and 270w?

It's my understanding that the normal version doesn't have the built in scale. I assumed the W was for weight, i.e. includes the scale.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I have some gift cards and was thinking of picking up this Peugeot manual grinder (not through this vendor): http://www.kitchenniche.ca/peugeot-cottage-grey-coffee-mill-p-4996.html?currency=CAD
I can't find much info about it online but it comes with a lifetime warranty and it's probably the best of all grinders available for my gift cards, excepting the Breville Smart Grinder Pro at 1.5x the price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXGXW8O/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH27728

I mostly use a 500ml french press but will be buying a good coffee maker soon as I find the oils in the press coffee don't sit so well with me anymore. I like the idea of a manual mill but I'm wondering just how tedious it will be to grind up enough beans for 500ml of press or 1L of drip coffee using this thing. Any insights?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 14, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why wouldn't you just buy the Baratza Encore for $130. Manual grinding is tedious but I like my LIDO a lot because it's the best one.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Manual grinding for a single cup is doable but for those volumes it's going to be tedious as gently caress. If you're making that much coffee I think an electric will be necessary.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
as a forever-alone guy who drinks 2-3 cups per day and is lazy, I'm looking at one of these two coffee makers. Is there a reason to go with the more expensive Moccamaster? Both seem to have temperature control

Bonavita 5 cup

and Moccamaster Cup-One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Why wouldn't you just buy the Baratza Encore for $130. Manual grinding is tedious but I like my LIDO a lot because it's the best one.

It's closer to $200.00 in Canada unfortunately, from what I've seen.