Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

To ignore it is the same as pretending it never happened. Making good from the wreckage is far more respectful.

Nobody ever seems to be trying to "make good from the wreckage" of the time Peter backhanded Mary Jane across a room. Probably because writers rightly moved on and ignored it instead of dwelling on it for two decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Like a certain issue of Avengers involving Carol Danvers? Now way that could ever be "tidied" up.

Doesn't stop people from bringing it up instead of ignoring it.

(I agree with you, I'm tired of them trying to justify rape stories.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

To ignore it is the same as pretending it never happened. Making good from the wreckage is far more respectful.

People keep doing it over and over and over and over, though. At least with the Pym is a Wifebeater bit, I dunno much about Mockingbird.

Ashikan judan posted:

Nobody ever seems to be trying to "make good from the wreckage" of the time Peter backhanded Mary Jane across a room. Probably because writers rightly moved on and ignored it instead of dwelling on it for two decades.

Also this. Minor characters like Hank Pym and Mockingbird are easy to get swallowed up by one big notable thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

It didn't happen. It's a work of fiction and continuity is pretty loose. If a given story doesn't make reference to it, then that's all that is necessary.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

ImpAtom posted:

Comics were a mistake.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, shockingly some stories and moments are garbage fire and deserve to be left to burn with the rest of the garbage fire. Like... extreme example. But if you suddenly sprouted a boil that leaked pus and ruined all chance of human interaction with its smell and well the whole pus leaking thing. You would not then draw a smiley face on the boil and put it in a dress and call it Booboo and try to make "The best" of the situation.

You'd get a doctor to cut the motherfucker off.

Hell the worst thing about trying to make the "Best" of the situation, is that then EVERY writer wants to do that. Chief example, Hank Pym. He will never get past hitting the Wasp. Some writer is going to come around who wants to "write the definitive Hank Pym tale" and that'll involve bringing up and "resolving" or "making better of" the whole situation, and then it'll keep happening with every writer.

For example, I much prefer that they rarely if ever bring up how Xavier wanted to bone Jean Grey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

People keep doing it over and over and over and over, though. At least with the Pym is a Wifebeater bit, I dunno much about Mockingbird.

The last ongoing with her name on the cover also had a story 'dealing' with the Phantom Rider. In that one, he possessed his great-granddaughter.

(Says the one person who bought every issue of Hawkeye & Mockingbird)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You'd think by now that she would have just bugged Dr Strange for some kind of anti-rear end in a top hat ghost charm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

You'd think by now that she would have just bugged Dr Strange for some kind of anti-rear end in a top hat ghost charm.

That would just lead to Dr. Strange getting jobbed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #35:

Context: Through a long and somewhat convoluted series of events Megatron became an Autobot and renounced the Decepticon cause. Part of that involved becoming captain of a starship called the Lost Light and being sent on a quest to find a legendary group of Cybertronians no one's seen for millions of years. In practice that means he's been saddled with a bunch of second-string no-hoper idiots he has to corral into something resembling competence, including his glory-hound of a co-captain (a rank which doesn't exist and Optimus Prime made it up on the spot to soothe his ego). These pages comes just as they start to figure out the latest insidious plot/diversion/waste of time launched by one of their own crew:

By the end he's fully embraced the stupidity. Here he is riding to his certain death.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Transformers, More Than Meets The Eye.
They're stranded, unarmed, have no means of communication, and there's a horde of killer robots outside waiting to murder them horribly. The only thing they can do is negotiate. They only have one unwrecked vehicle left.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Scooty puff Jr rides again!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mind the walrus posted:

Pym's slap isn't wreckage though. It's one of the most important character moments in the entire Marvel universe, and it's stuck with him not just because he's a minor character and bad writers won't stop trying to redeem him, but because it resonates so well with how his character crystallised into a sometime superhero whose greatest foe is his insecurity about himself.

Ignoring it is better than trying to 'fix' because you can't fix it without ruining the message and/or diminishing what he did. If your story doesn't relate to Pym attempting to redeem himself in his own eyes for his mistakes then there's no reason to reference it, if you want to address it then you honour it such as in Secret Invasion where he was given a complete out of every bad thing he had ever done and nobody would ever know different and he chose to own it. poo poo like the Ultimates where he's just an abusive jerk diminishes the essential mundanity of his breakdown and him striking Janet, and you can then dismiss it with "oh, Pym's just a dickhead" instead of learning a lesson of maybe try talking to your loved ones and friends about your problems instead of bottling them all up inside you until you boil over from the stress of building killer robots to prove you're not losing it.

Captain America Comics #2

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

That would just lead to Dr. Strange getting jobbed.

99percentofDrStrangestories.txt

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Hank Pym slapping the Wasp isn't within six degrees of most important character moments for the entire Marvel universe, get a hold of yourself.

Anyway, here's a light-hearted comic about two friends saving a town of humble lemon-farmers from a no-good snake:

http://imgur.com/a/sH7lM

http://imgur.com/a/qYB5c

http://imgur.com/a/XoAx2

Which inevitably leads them to the snakes nefarious evil lair

http://imgur.com/a/uwe1x

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 22, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"eminent humiliating retreat"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
...was OG Rider always a pathetic rapist?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Byzantine posted:

...was OG Rider always a pathetic rapist?

This is the dude who took over when the first one died. He was a prick.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also isn't the prick rider the Phantom Rider not Ghost Rider? Phantom Rider's an actual ghost, while Ghost Rider is a demon of vengeance kind of deal, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He was Ghost Rider first.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They tied Phantom Rider to the Ghost Rider lineage retroactively.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, they do have the same last name

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, after west coast avengers converted a scooby doo style ghost cowboy into an actual ghost cowboy it isn't that strange if he is related to other supernatural stuff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
In honor of the late, great, Steve Dillon, here's the best Preacher page:

http://www.yisoonshin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/5.jpg

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

In honor of the late, great, Steve Dillon

What? Aww man. :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

54 is too soon :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nilbop posted:

Hank Pym slapping the Wasp isn't within six degrees of most important character moments for the entire Marvel universe, get a hold of yourself.

Anyway, here's a light-hearted comic about two friends saving a town of humble lemon-farmers from a no-good snake:

http://imgur.com/a/sH7lM

http://imgur.com/a/qYB5c

http://imgur.com/a/XoAx2

Which inevitably leads them to the snakes nefarious evil lair

http://imgur.com/a/uwe1x

That artist really, really can't draw Jake's mouth.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Aww dammit.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This is not him mocking white supremacists at all!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

mind the walrus posted:

I finally found that page from Mockingbird #8 I wanted to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwUUDypEDNQ

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

MH Knights posted:

Like a certain issue of Avengers involving Carol Danvers? Now way that could ever be "tidied" up.

I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm gonna do it anyway...

Pictures/explanation, please?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

10 Beers posted:

I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm gonna do it anyway...

Pictures/explanation, please?

You're really going to regret this. It was posted just earlier.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that's the actual story.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This is really not how I wanted to learn this

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Inasmuch as I have a favorite thing about Avengers #200, it's that Jim Shooter has apparently developed traumatic amnesia about it and has no idea what happened there.

I can only assume that the gentlemen who are listed on the comic's masthead gathered one evening for an ether frolic and the comic was already at the printer by the time they sobered up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Inasmuch as I have a favorite thing about Avengers #200, it's that Jim Shooter has apparently developed traumatic amnesia about it and has no idea what happened there.

I can only assume that the gentlemen who are listed on the comic's masthead gathered one evening for an ether frolic and the comic was already at the printer by the time they sobered up.

It's hilarious to me that the story is so hosed up that it took Chris "mind control and body horror king" Claremont to Un gently caress it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious to me that the story is so hosed up that it took Chris "mind control and body horror king" Claremont to Un gently caress it.

Also the way he did it - Rogue is one of the most popular X-men

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Kevos Setzer posted:

You're really going to regret this.

Well, gently caress me. You...you weren't lying.

I'm gonna go have a drink now.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Well, gently caress me. You...you weren't lying.

I'm gonna go have a drink now.

That was Carol Danver's reaction as well

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Shooter was also the one who made Pym beat up Janet, and now claims it was a misunderstanding by the artist, so clearly all his Marvel writing was actually done by his Antimatter Universe counterpart.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's not the hat page from later in that issue or "Where the gently caress is your chin!?", third-best page at best. :colbert:

e: I mean, the hat page relies on the context from the page you linked, but still.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 23, 2016

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

"Where the gently caress is your chin?" is my vote for best single panel ever, because it works equally well in the issue or totally on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Also in honour of Steve Dillon, the best Punisher panels: