Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The military is a jobs program :ssh:

Are Troops are the real Welfare Queens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Filthy Hans posted:

Every time I hear that name I cringe that Trump named his son after his bullshitting alter-ego

i keep thinking his middle name is harkonnen

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/acosta/status/789908750454943745

Still classy.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

i keep thinking his middle name is harkonnen

*vladimir* harkonnen

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

disability 4 life

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

freckle posted:

Are Troops are the real Welfare Queens.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And yes that is an intentionally inflammatory jab at a complex topic. I don't think we do enough for vets.

[And by do I mean spend]

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

But how good of one?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I have another question about rent pricing.

I know a lot of people agree that rent control doesn't work. But instead of doing rent control, why doesn't the government just make their own units to A. set their own prices for rent and B. increase the supply of homes to lower the demand?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I

I never

:aaaaa: my god

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
And it's a good thing Trump brought up heavy de-regulation in he speechlet today. Just look what a free market can do when it is unfettered by needless red tape like safety/construction regulation.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

looks like a survey mark to me :confused:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

there wolf posted:

But how good of one?

It's great as long as you don't get killed or horribly maimed.

Or you know become severely mentally damaged.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That's the amazing thing--Obama will be for sure remembered, rightfully, as a top-ten president, and there's nothing conservatives can do about it.

I'd rather he just get a third term

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Goatman Sacks posted:

looks like a survey mark to me :confused:

it's a sheriff's circle

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Complaint Compilation posted:

And it's a good thing Trump brought up heavy de-regulation in he speechlet today.

i saw mr. wonderful from shark tank give a talk not too long ago and he talked about how regulation is stifling innovation and i just wanted to scream you gently caress it was only 8 years ago that the economy collapsed. how the gently caress do you not remember that far back.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lozzle posted:

Step 1 of proving you are not a Putin puppet or antisemitic: point out that Putin critics are Jewish.

What's sort of odd with him attracting so much anti-semitic love is that Some of Putin's Best Friends really are Jewish.
... Which actually worries me, as a Jewish person, as Putin's friends are mega-thieves, stealing billions from the people...

Edit: not-coincidentally, Russian "fascism-fighters" are fond of claiming how everyone in the present Ukrainian government is secretly Jewish!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/789917343749120000

They might burn an effigy soon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

And it's a good thing Trump brought up heavy de-regulation in he speechlet today. Just look what a free market can do when it is unfettered by needless red tape like safety/construction regulation.

And now the surviving consumers will take their business to a company which self-regulates better. The free market will solve this problem!

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Feldegast42 posted:

That sign was no angel.

gently caress. Just... Just gently caress this earth. Salt the fields, and burn the crops. gently caress it all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/cher/status/789898335104622593
The best secret follows of this election are Cher, John Dingell, and Bill Mitchell.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Watch this picture get tweeted as Detroit

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Bassetking posted:

gently caress. Just... Just gently caress this earth. Salt the fields, and burn the crops. gently caress it all.

:agreed:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Cher: much more sane, stable and intelligent than a presidential candidate for a major party.

gently caress us all, how did we get here?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

PT6A posted:

Cher: much more sane, stable and intelligent than a presidential candidate for a major party.

Cher has been in the ownage zone for a long time man

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

PT6A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyyoaBa7DaE&t=31s

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

I know a lot of people agree that rent control doesn't work. But instead of doing rent control, why doesn't the government just make their own units to A. set their own prices for rent and B. increase the supply of homes to lower the demand?

public housing's been a thing for nearly a century

while it's largely shifted to private management (section 8) there's still pockets of government-run public housing

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
David Duke has made it to the debates!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

do you believe in life after love

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

punk rebel ecks posted:

First, you'll have to get the land to make those units. Good loving luck doing that without eminent domain, or going so far away from where the people would be living otherwise that you'd need to also build and maintain high-speed light-rail in order for them to get to and from work.

Second, once you've cleared those massive logistical hurdles, you now have two further issues staring at you. If you went way-the-gently caress out of the city in order to build homes for people, congrats, you just displaced a population from their communities and culture in favor of white people with money. OR you've enraged the white people with money by telling them no, and by building housing for poors near their nice new gentrification-zones, and we'll see White-Flight rear its head once again.

You then also have the hideous shadowy specter of Big Government interfering with The Invisible Hand Of The Market Place by setting affordable rent for poor people, when upstanding white hard working Americans are denied that opportunity.

It boils down to "You'd need a poo poo-ton of political capital to get this done, and we're having to spend exorbitant amounts just to fill potholes, and keep the homeless from being hunted for sport."

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Louisiana can't sink into the sea fast enough.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Who is he debating? If it's the Republican and Democrat nominees, I hope they both tag team his dumb rear end and dunk on him.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

there wolf posted:

But how good of one?

That really depends on your perspective and priorities, but I'd generally say quite excellent, but with certain very negative externalities.

Look, I'm no Iron Rose but I do think that US military dominance plays a role in guaranteeing world stability that many who view it as self-evident graft take for granted. And I also think that posters of the JFairfax persuasion, who want to use past atrocities as a bludgeon against even discussing how US political power, including military capability, can be used as a force for good, need to be called out as the obstructionist, equivocating, facile hacks they are (As an aside, it's also always interesting to see what examples they pick and choose from US history--tankies never seem to care about Patrice Lumumba :().

If you fundamentally disagree with that stance then yeah spend it all on massive over-engineered public art megaprojects or something, sure. Whatever can generate around a million jobs and retain the services of enough advanced engineering and manufacturing firms to keep that whole sector alive. Also there would be some internal economic displacement from base closures.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 22, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Has anyone on Team Trump denounced Duke yet?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

punk rebel ecks posted:

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE COMMUNISM. (We did this in the UK for quite a long time, it worked well, then Thatcher pretty much sold the lot and banned councils from building more. Now most of the old council houses are being rented out to the next generation at extortionate prices.)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bassetking posted:

First, you'll have to get the land to make those units. Good loving luck doing that without eminent domain, or going so far away from where the people would be living otherwise that you'd need to also build and maintain high-speed light-rail in order for them to get to and from work.

Second, once you've cleared those massive logistical hurdles, you now have two further issues staring at you. If you went way-the-gently caress out of the city in order to build homes for people, congrats, you just displaced a population from their communities and culture in favor of white people with money. OR you've enraged the white people with money by telling them no, and by building housing for poors near their nice new gentrification-zones, and we'll see White-Flight rear its head once again.

You then also have the hideous shadowy specter of Big Government interfering with The Invisible Hand Of The Market Place by setting affordable rent for poor people, when upstanding white hard working Americans are denied that opportunity.

It boils down to "You'd need a poo poo-ton of political capital to get this done, and we're having to spend exorbitant amounts just to fill potholes, and keep the homeless from being hunted for sport."

Places like Budapest and Singapore manage to do public housing very well but they're both vastly different than anywhere in the United States and iirc in both cases the government owns the vast majority of housing so it's not stigmatized like living in the projects is

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

Who is he debating? If it's the Republican and Democrat nominees, I hope they both tag team his dumb rear end and dunk on him.

The republican can't be too hard on him for fear of alienating half his base.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

Mike Piss had to do it for Trump.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SunAndSpring posted:

The debate is four Republicans (including Duke) and two Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Crow Jane posted:

Trump did.

In 2000.

When he dropped out of the Reform Party's primary.

Nowadays he's more like "lol who's David Duke?"

• Locked thread