Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
With Atlanta and now this, everything's coming up Donglover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wait, the good thing to do was abandon his friends to suffer and die?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That's awesome casting news.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hell yeah. Glover is awesome

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Black Bones posted:

So are these guys dustbusters or what?

Like obviously the author intended them to underscore how mechanized the death world is - even the vermin are robots! But I'm genuinely curious as to what the "canon" function is . .

Menial maintenance tasks, mostly. Including garbage pickup and small repairs.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Also solving button-pushing puzzles in Jedi Outcast.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

jivjov posted:

Menial maintenance tasks, mostly. Including garbage pickup and small repairs.

They are proto-roombas

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I am all about this Donald Glover as Lando business. That's a casting choice that works every time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

my god what have I done

Im sorry to everyone for starting this

it gets worse

The window! The window!

In a way you also have directed the Prequels

You are George Lucas.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wait, the good thing to do was abandon his friends to suffer and die?

Yes. Although it's more accurately an ethical decision that's beyond good and evil.

This has little to do with 'having emotion'. Luke obviously cares a lot about his friends/family, but he nonetheless makes the sad choice to lay down his arms - because he refuses to let his attachment to them distract from his pacifist duty. Let the wookie win.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yes. Although it's more accurately an ethical decision that's beyond good and evil.

This has little to do with 'having emotion'. Luke obviously cares a lot about his friends/family, but he nonetheless makes the sad choice to lay down his arms - because he refuses to let his attachment to them distract from his pacifist duty. Let the wookie win.

I'm not sure exactly when you're talking about but if we're talking about Luke's choice to go to Cloud City

The choice was between

(1) let his friends die

and

(2) finish jedi training

Lets analyze each choice

We already know the end result of 1. Everybody lives, The Empire's victory is lessened, Luke grows as a character and learns the Truth, that being that Obi Wan and Yoda are lying to and manipulating Luke to use him as a hapless assassin.

2: This may be the "wise" choice to finish training but then all his friends die at Yoda's insistence for Luke to be an emotionless drone. He then becomes a tool for Yoda and Obi-wan and assassinates Vader and Emperor. Who knows what happens but probably not good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How does Jar Jar know that seven wupiupi is a lot of money?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

General Dog posted:

How does Jar Jar know that seven wupiupi is a lot of money?

He just knows it's more wupiupi than he has.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jar Jar is clumsy, but I bet he eats pussy like an all-star.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

General Dog posted:

Jar Jar is clumsy, but I bet he eats pussy like an all-star.

This reminds me, there's inter-species romance in Star Wars but there are no hybrid characters. That's surprisingly realistic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is the podrace longer in the dvd/blu-ray release? I'm watching for the first time since I had it on VHS and there's a bunch of stuff I don't remember

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

General Dog posted:

Is the podrace longer in the dvd/blu-ray release? I'm watching for the first time since I had it on VHS and there's a bunch of stuff I don't remember

It appears so, yes.

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html?post_id=79063&action=report

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I'm not sure exactly when you're talking about but if we're talking about Luke's choice to go to Cloud City

The choice was between

(1) let his friends die

and

(2) finish jedi training

Lets analyze each choice

We already know the end result of 1. Everybody lives, The Empire's victory is lessened, Luke grows as a character and learns the Truth, that being that Obi Wan and Yoda are lying to and manipulating Luke to use him as a hapless assassin.

2: This may be the "wise" choice to finish training but then all his friends die at Yoda's insistence for Luke to be an emotionless drone. He then becomes a tool for Yoda and Obi-wan and assassinates Vader and Emperor. Who knows what happens but probably not good.
you seem to have made a typo but the choice in was actually

1.) "save" his friends
2.) Continue training

in the result of 1 luke goes to cloud city saves nobody and almost is killed or turned by darth vader only being saved by his decision to let go and take a leap of faith trusting in his friends to save him (this is juxtaposed against his failure on dagobah to trust them to save themselves)

also the insistence that you have to be emotionless to let go of attachments is basically the biggest failure of the jedi and practically sith propaganda. that is why you fail

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
In theory, there was nothing wrong with Luke going to rescue his friends. Like Obi-Wan says in the next movie, his feelings of love for his friends do him credit. The problem is he was going for the wrong reasons and with the wrong attitude: he was more focused on his own emotional inability to cope with them dying than he was on what he knew his friends themselves would have wanted, and furthermore his motives were horribly tainted by his desire for vengeance on Vader.

If he was in a more advanced place emotionally, then he could have gone to save them without there being any problem. But in that case he wouldn't have needed more training, and so he wouldn't have even been facing a dilemma about leaving.

edit: Here's Kershner and Lucas on the issue:

The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back posted:

“This is a film of life and death, of great urgency,” Kershner says. “There is a great deal at stake and as Shakespeare said, ‘Tell the story of a king or queen and the death of one of them is of great interest to everyone, including the chimney sweep.’ In this one, we’re dealing with kings and queens and emperors. Its philosophical content is talked about in this scene between Yoda and Luke. It is the great dilemma of the entire film. In making his decision to rescue his friends, Luke reveals his character flaw or his character strength. This element of ambiguity makes it very rich. His decision is a moral decision and a political decision: He leaves his training before he’s finished—at the expense of a greater vision for the good of all, let’s say. Yes, he’d love to save the entire galaxy from the Empire, but he feels it’s more important to save his friends at this moment.”

“It’s one of those things that’s risky in terms of storytelling,” says Lucas. “Basically, he screws up and everything turns bad because of his emotional decision, where he knows that he’s not ready but goes anyway. His attachment makes for a very selfish decision.”

Elfgames posted:

also the insistence that you have to be emotionless to let go of attachments is basically the biggest failure of the jedi and practically sith propaganda. that is why you fail

I'm not sure the Jedi were ever saying that. Especially not Obi-Wan. For all his other massive faults as a father and a teacher, Obi-Wan never shames Anakin simply for having emotions. In fact, whenever the issue comes up, it seems like Obi-Wan tries to meet Anakin halfway and does his best to try to comfort him.

For example, at the beginning of Episode II, he goes out of his way to try to cheer Anakin up after their argument by reassuring him that Padme was happy to see them. That's not something a jerk who thinks emotions are evil would do. That's why Obi-Wan remains such a likable character despite all his other faults. He obviously genuinely cares about Anakin and wants to make things work. The problem is he just doesn't understand Anakin very well sometimes--and that's really not such a horrible crime for a father to be guilty of.

One of the main problems is not that they totally disagree with each other about the fundamental issues lying at the core of their relationship--in fact, they both care about one another a great deal--but rather that they just have no idea how to actually talk to each other without letting their emotions cloud the message. It's the same problem Padme pegs as being at the heart of the conflict between the Republic and the Separatists: a lack of honest communication.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 22, 2016

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I watched Return of the Jedi for the first time in a long time and I thought it was pretty loving bad, Jabba and the Endor moon stuff was all way cheesier than I remember, which surprised me cause I'm an OT lover.

I do love the starfighter battles in these movies though and I would love a Rogue Squadron or some kind of pilot based movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Donald Glover is a fantastic choice for the role. He is a fantastic match for Lord & Miller's sensibilities. He will do great.

But he's not Michael B. Jordan :smith:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Donald Glover is a fantastic choice for the role. He is a fantastic match for Lord & Miller's sensibilities. He will do great.

But he's not Michael B. Jordan :smith:

Michael B. Jordan doesn't even bear a passing resemblance to Billy Dee Williams, which is at least somewhat important. Donald Glover is an excellent choice. I can easily see him embodying the Billy Dee vibe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

Michael B. Jordan doesn't even bear a passing resemblance to Billy Dee Williams, which is at least somewhat important. Donald Glover is an excellent choice. I can easily see him embodying the Billy Dee vibe.

I've never seen him be smooth in anything so idk.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Black Bones posted:

So are these guys dustbusters or what?

Like obviously the author intended them to underscore how mechanized the death world is - even the vermin are robots! But I'm genuinely curious as to what the "canon" function is . .

You can see squads of Stormtroopers following them around the Death Star. While I'm sure they do generic slave droid functions, I think their primary function was to show people where to go. You're sure as poo poo not going to be able to remember where the hell you're going in a workplace the size of a moon, especially if you've never been their before. You could get lost for months on the Death Star. So these things would have maps of the Death Star and lead you to where you'd need to go and save you the fate of starving to death in corridor 392272899-B trying to find the shitter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackshreds posted:

I watched Return of the Jedi for the first time in a long time and I thought it was pretty loving bad, Jabba and the Endor moon stuff was all way cheesier than I remember, which surprised me cause I'm an OT lover.

I do love the starfighter battles in these movies though and I would love a Rogue Squadron or some kind of pilot based movie.

All this is true but 100% counterweighted by having everything involving the emperor be the pinnacle of Star Wars.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

blackshreds posted:

The older I get, the more I agree that RotJ is a big letdown compared to the first two. Luke and Leia's contrasting attempts to deal with Jabba are pretty enjoyable, same with the barge fight, but the movie really seems to lose its way until it gets to the throne room. Not a big fan of the methods used to recruit the Ewoks, and the "best Imperial troops" getting completely punked by them really lessens the impact of defeating them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've long maintained that everything that takes place on the Death Star II is as good as most stuff in Empire. Everything else is from a much, much lesser film. As a kid you don't see just how sidelined Han is. He might as well not be in the film, it's pretty absurd.

Though the production design of all the Jabba stuff is on-loving-point.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Filthy Casual posted:

Not a big fan of the methods used to recruit the Ewoks, them.

What do you mean by this?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

What do you mean by this?

Commanding C3PO to pose as one of their deities. There's definitely worse ways to avoid being eaten, but that leads into the question of why the first primitive society depicted in SW has an overwhelming need to eat other sentient beings. Just rubs me the wrong way, especially when they make a point of subverting expectations like that in other entries (see: Gungans).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Gungans are an advanced civilization; what with energy bubble underwater cities and all. Ewoks are literal tribal savages.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Gungans are an advanced civilization; what with energy bubble underwater cities and all. Ewoks are literal tribal savages.

Oh, word?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ewoks are a technological society, but in Star Wars, if you don't have hovering vehicles and abundant artificial lighting, you ain't poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

Oh, word?

I got the definite impression from RotJ (though I know the Ewok movies mess with this a bit) that they had never seen humans before. They reacted to an unknown threat, not just "Welp, gonna roast me up some sapient life forms!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

I got the definite impression from RotJ (though I know the Ewok movies mess with this a bit) that they had never seen humans before. They reacted to an unknown threat, not just "Welp, gonna roast me up some sapient life forms!"

The point here is that they aren't savages because they aren't animals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

The point here is that they aren't savages because they aren't animals.

Depends on how you want to define "animal" really. Humans are animals.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Depends on how you want to define "animal" really. Humans are animals.

Good point. Still doesn't make calling them "savages" any less hosed up.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

jivjov posted:

I guess they thought the Imperial troops were like robots or something?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serf posted:

Good point. Still doesn't make calling them "savages" any less hosed up.

Killing, and cooking, people is pretty savage behavior.

Serf
May 5, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Killing, and cooking, people is pretty savage behavior.

From my point of view, blowing up planets is savage behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ewoks weren't eating ewoks.

• Locked thread