Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Lucinice posted:

So I'm running into performance problems with this is game. I'm at high graphical settings and the game will drop from 60 to 55 frames per second normally with drops down to 50 frames per second. I changed all the settings to medium but the same thing happens. Anyone know what this problem is and how to fix it? I have a GTX 970, an i5-3570K, and 16 gigs of ram.

I've done some more research and it looks like the game is making GBS threads the bed on a lot of Nvidia cards, even if it didn't in the beta. I've seen all the usual community suggestions with drivers and overclocked fuckery, but the ball is probably in DICE's court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Auron posted:

Does squad joining just randomly break for anyone else? I hit the plus icon in some games and nothing happens. Even trying to create my own squad doesn't work. I don't get it and its really frustrating.
It's utterly broken.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Rhandhali posted:

Anyone else having issues with barbed wire and various metal bits sparkling like there's a disco ball suspended above the battlefield?

Well, there is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRuaIAJ7ac

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there anyway to play bot matches? I want to gently caress around with the planes but I don't want people getting pissed because I'm terrible at them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lucinice posted:

I think so yeah.

Double check with cpuz

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Monocled Falcon posted:

What time does the mumble/discord crowd get on?

Discord crowd generally gets in around 9 PM EST on weekdays, might be earlier on weekends. We had so many people in one group that we couldn't load into any server because it refused to matchmake for 17 people. (14 or 15 is the max I think it's actually worked.)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 22, 2016

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Good god, EA could make a battlefield game about the Civil War and they would still manage to make 80% of the guns automatic.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

pro starcraft loser posted:

Good god, EA could make a battlefield game about the Civil War and they would still manage to make 80% of the guns automatic.

yea they make video games pretty fun

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Kyuzo posted:

I only get this error while playing, not on startup. For a while, this error would sometimes escalate to a different, more detailed error message (but I think meaning the same thing) that would happen on startup. The only thing that would fix that was rebooting my computer. I think the startup error had something to do with Steam, so you might try closing Steam if you have it open. I haven't gotten the startup error now that I make sure Steam is closed while playing.

In general, I don't know what to do to fix the error. From what I've researched in the last week, it's been in Battlefield games going back to BF3 and has never been fixed. There are a lot of suggestions on various forum posts, but it mostly seems like guesswork (including my Steam suggestion). It does seem like the smaller game modes don't have the problem, or maybe it's just less frequent and I haven't been trying them as much. And certain maps are more prone to it than others. I haven't been able to get through a full round of Operations or Conquest on Monte Grappa. Ballroom Blitz crashes more frequently than other maps, but at least I can complete games on it sometimes.

Recent threads I've been watching on it:
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/37983/direct-x-function-error-nvidia/p7
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/PC-Getting-quot-GetDeviceRemovedReason-quot-error/m-p/5638264

I'm having this problem as well, sometimes I can play for 2+ hours and other times it crashes within 5-10 minutes of startup. I think it also depends on the map. I don't think I've made it through a round of St. Quentin's Scar yet, and usually it crashes on ballroom blitz as well. Never had this issue with previous Battlefield games on this PC. I'm hoping that upcoming Nvidia drivers or BF1 patches will fix it for me. For now I just have to avoid certain levels I guess. Or play Civ6.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Krinkle posted:

I tried to use a horse. I couldn't kill afk people standing stock still in a field facing the other way. I played a shitload of mount and blade so I"m fighting a pretty ingrained idea about how to time a saber slash on a person on foot but I literally cannot make this poo poo connect no matter what.

How then is it that literally every loving horseman I've ever seen, notices me, turns, I empty my rifle into him, he doesn't care, I empty my pistol, he doesn't care, nothing, nothing, nothing stops a man on a horse. ANd you die. You always die. He doesn't even seem to have to aim. If you run you die. If you prone you die. If you duck you die. If you fight you die. THere is literally loving nothing you can do to not die when a man on a horse sees you no matter how far ahead you notice him.

How the gently caress are horses both impossible to use and impossible to defend against at the same time?

I honestly think that you're trying too hard with the horses, it's not as timing reliant as you think it is.

Just spam the sword swing as you pass by soldiers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man, Fao Fortress is pretty brutal as the Ottomans in Operations.

Britain basically has a monopoly on tanks, and once the Dreadnought is out you have no real way to counter it until the last sector with the fortress full of field guns. Adding a torpedo boat would be a huge help.

Or maybe reminding all the other assault classes on my team that the AT Rocket Gun is unlocked by default now :saddowns:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do they have any plans to make it so you can leave a match, you know, after you finish it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The sword is nothing like an M&B sword. BF1 just has a startup, then a box that kills everyone inside it, and then a cooldown.

Cavalry is pretty hit or miss because tiny differences in your path can allow your horse to effortlessly breeze through or be stopped dead and get you killed. You just have to have patience and treat it as a flanking role, picking off the people furthest back or running down a group that is fighting in another direction.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Martini-Henry is the greatest gun in BF history. Unlock ASAP and wreck all players, it's sooooo good. Peal of thunder, another man dies.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I tried to use a horse. I couldn't kill afk people standing stock still in a field facing the other way. I played a shitload of mount and blade so I"m fighting a pretty ingrained idea about how to time a saber slash on a person on foot but I literally cannot make this poo poo connect no matter what.

How then is it that literally every loving horseman I've ever seen, notices me, turns, I empty my rifle into him, he doesn't care, I empty my pistol, he doesn't care, nothing, nothing, nothing stops a man on a horse. ANd you die. You always die. He doesn't even seem to have to aim. If you run you die. If you prone you die. If you duck you die. If you fight you die. THere is literally loving nothing you can do to not die when a man on a horse sees you no matter how far ahead you notice him.

How the gently caress are horses both impossible to use and impossible to defend against at the same time?

I made an effort post earlier today about being good on the horse, but I do have some advice for the other side as well. For starters, you're right that the horse and the rider have a ton of health, but you need to keep in mind that they have separate health pools. Riding a horse in this game is more like driving one of the open jeeps in that you can be shot off of the horse, but the horse can still be fine. This means that the quickest way to take down cavalry is to aim for the rider; they have slightly less health than the horse. Trust me, a headshot from a powerful gun can still one-hit-kill the rider; it's happened to me more than a few times. Of course, this method is risky and difficult. A real pro move is to lay down some dynamite and stand with it between you and the cav. Once he comes to sword you, just blow him up and laugh.

Another thing to keep in mind is, like you say, it can be very tricky for the rider to hit you with the sword, particularly if there is cover and debris nearby for you to run around. There are two basic ways to not get killed. One is to put something like cover or a house between you and the cav if you are lucky enough to see them approaching you. If the horse gets stuck on the scenery, which is pretty likely, then you have a real shot at taking them down no problem. Of course, you can find yourself in a situation where there is no cover. When that happens, your best bet is to run diagonally towards them and to their right, because it is difficult to swing to the left on a horse. Once they start to get close, go prone. If you are lucky and lag didn't gently caress you, you will not get hit by the sword and avoid getting run over by the horse. Of course, they will probably swing back around and kill you, but now maybe you can damage them enough to kill them before they do.

If all else fails, just light them up with gas and fire grenades. The rider can't put their mask on while mounted and moving around while on fire does extra damage so it shreds the hit n run cav riders. This will make them think twice before assaulting your position.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by how few pubbie snipers there are now as compared to BF4. Maybe it's because of the lack of meme guns in WW1 (no Interventions or AWPs) or just game mechanics but Assault and Medic definitely seem to be the most played classes instead of Scout.

Except when the map changes to Sinai and 90% of the team switches to Scout. gently caress Sinai.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hungry Bit posted:

few pubbie snipers

We playing the same game here? Matches are won and lost on the backs of players willing to not choose that class.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I feel like support needs some better guns so people will actually play it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chronojam posted:

We playing the same game here? Matches are won and lost on the backs of players willing to not choose that class.

DICE should get rid of all of the scopes and bipods in the game. The rage from lovely snipers would be marvelous :allears:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how should i be leveling assault, exactly? i feel like destroying armor is not giving me a whole lot, and i don't seem to be getting much xp from capturing flags.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Like, if even half the scouts played support on attack..

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how should i be leveling assault, exactly? i feel like destroying armor is not giving me a whole lot, and i don't seem to be getting much xp from capturing flags.

throw a shitload of gas and run around hip firing like a dumb bitch is what I do. It's really all about closing distance and getting kills imo.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Google Butt posted:

throw a shitload of gas and run around hip firing like a dumb bitch is what I do. It's really all about closing distance and getting kills imo.

This exactly. Gas everything. Never ADS. Never stop moving. You have the tools to close the distance and win almost any fight. I recommend the automatico 1918 or the model 10-a hunter shotgun. Pretend you're a rabid dog let loose in the city and go nuts :getin:

edit: oh ya, one more thing and this is going to hurt, don't use a bayonet. Assault is already the close range king and equipping a bayonet increases the amount of time it takes to bring your gun up from sprinting by like .2 seconds or something. That doesn't seem like a lot but trust me, you'll be glad you did when you sprint around a corner into another assault with a bayonet on their shotgun and blast them before they blast you.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 22, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yep. Take advantage of the fact that medic and scout guns suck rear end from the hip and that most people play those classes. Double gas flags and choke points.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

so what's a good gun to use as a Scout that is just going to be tossing around flares and being in general close range encounters? I'm using the Infantry version of the SMLE at the moment and using the auto pistol mainly as a primary.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

Lucinice posted:

So I'm running into performance problems with this is game. I'm at high graphical settings and the game will drop from 60 to 55 frames per second normally with drops down to 50 frames per second. I changed all the settings to medium but the same thing happens. Anyone know what this problem is and how to fix it? I have a GTX 970, an i5-3570K, and 16 gigs of ram.

Are you using dx11 or 12? Dx12 actually makes performance worse.

Maybe you can try running DDU in safe mode then reinstalling the drivers.

Also, is your cpu overclocked? I have the same one at 4.4, I find BF1 will use all of it. Generally OCing the cpu will bring those minimum frames up, which affects the perception of smoothness more than raising the average when you already seem to be around 55-60 already.

Have you turned off xBox recording? This was making my 1070 feel floaty/laggy. Shadowplay has been causing issues for some people too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what's the difference between Marksman and Sniper versions of rifles for Scout? All I can tell is you get a different scope with different zoom levels between them.

Also, I'm running Gas nades because they own, but are incendiary grenades good as well? Sometimes I try and gas fuckers out but they all just mask up and I'd rather not give them an option. I suppose it's situational.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've done some more research and it looks like the game is making GBS threads the bed on a lot of Nvidia cards, even if it didn't in the beta. I've seen all the usual community suggestions with drivers and overclocked fuckery, but the ball is probably in DICE's court.

Yet it works nicely with a GTX 460. :iiam:

Oddly enough the only issues I have are when stages are loading and video is playing or single player cut scenes.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

gfanikf posted:

Yet it works nicely with a GTX 460. :iiam:

Oddly enough the only issues I have are when stages are loading and video is playing or single player cut scenes.

Yeah, I've had some weird behavior in FMV's too. I've got a giant list of things to try when I get home, including making sure my RAM is operating in dual channel and turning off DX12 in the .ini file. Hopefully one will work. :shrug:

Edit: And apparently Shadowplay is a nono too, which is fine because I never use it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Hey guys, I'm getting mad in-chill playing with pubbies. I couldn't find any discord info in the op, can anyone shoot it over to me?

They should also just remove the ability to skip revives, pubbies are too dumb to use it right.

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 22, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

Hey guys, I'm getting mad in-chill playing with pubbies. I couldn't find any discord info in the op, can anyone shoot it over to me?
In keeping with the old-fashioned spirit of the game, goons themselves are sticking with mumble and the CTS server for BF1.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there really no way to exit to the main menu after a mission has ended but before the next one loads? Everything about origin is the worst.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 22, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sometimes i have a 'quit' option on the left of the screen before it switches to 'continue' on the right side, but i have no idea what causes it. it is extremely bad, though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Ofaloaf posted:

In keeping with the old-fashioned spirit of the game, goons themselves are sticking with mumble and the CTS server for BF1.

There were people above us talking about a discord server, so I know there's non-mumble goons out there.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also, I'm running Gas nades because they own, but are incendiary grenades good as well? Sometimes I try and gas fuckers out but they all just mask up and I'd rather not give them an option. I suppose it's situational.
Incendiary nades seem to work best purely for flushing people out of an area or covering your retreat. Its fairly easy to avoid dying from them since you just have to drop prone, but on some of the smaller and bunker heavy maps where squads of dudes are holed up and smart enough to just pop a gas mask on, fire nades will make everyone panic and run out into your line of fire.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what's the difference between Marksman and Sniper versions of rifles for Scout? All I can tell is you get a different scope with different zoom levels between them.

They're both area-denial. Gas nades last longer, but incendiary grenades are more likely to kill a person or two. It depends on the map/situation. I prefer incendiary nades when escape is difficult for enemy team, but gas nades if I'm rocking a shotgun and trying to take a bunker or something.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think I'm getting old. I was having difficulty consistently killing people in BF4. In this game I just can't do it with anything. Woe is me.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

play as medic and stab everyone, friend or foe, with that sweet sweet morphine

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

DrGreatJob posted:

They're both area-denial. Gas nades last longer, but incendiary grenades are more likely to kill a person or two. It depends on the map/situation. I prefer incendiary nades when escape is difficult for enemy team, but gas nades if I'm rocking a shotgun and trying to take a bunker or something.
I feel like a loving badass throwing my gas grenades, hitting T and then running in with the Model 10-A shotgun. Business time bitches.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

This exactly. Gas everything. Never ADS. Never stop moving. You have the tools to close the distance and win almost any fight. I recommend the automatico 1918 or the model 10-a hunter shotgun. Pretend you're a rabid dog let loose in the city and go nuts :getin:

edit: oh ya, one more thing and this is going to hurt, don't use a bayonet. Assault is already the close range king and equipping a bayonet increases the amount of time it takes to bring your gun up from sprinting by like .2 seconds or something. That doesn't seem like a lot but trust me, you'll be glad you did when you sprint around a corner into another assault with a bayonet on their shotgun and blast them before they blast you.
Holy poo poo, I didn't know that. Taking the bayonet off my shotgun NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Krinkle posted:

Is there really no way to exit to the main menu after a mission has ended but before the next one loads? Everything about origin is the worst.

You can exit in the bottom-left shortly after the game ends, but once it starts pre-loading the next level you gotta wait.