Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

reopened disputed fishing Waters

does that mean shutting down conservation areas or allowing china to fish in their Exclusive Economic Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

does that mean shutting down conservation areas or allowing china to fish in their Exclusive Economic Zone

yes

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess he likes to continue living.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/10/22/philippines-duterte-says-will-not-sever-us-ties-announcing-realignment-china/

quote:

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Saturday he would not sever his nation’s alliance with the United States, as he clarified his announcement that he planned to “separate”.

“It’s not severance of ties. Severance is to cut diplomatic relations. I can not do that. Why? It’s in the best interests of my country that I don’t do that,” Duterte told reporters in his hometown of Davao after returning from China. The firebrand leader signalled on Thursday during his four-day state visit to Beijing that he intended to end the Philippines’ 70-year alliance with the United States in favour of China and Russia.

“I announce my separation from the United States,” Duterte told a group of Chinese businessmen.

“America has lost. I’ve realigned myself in your ideological flow and maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to (President Vladimir) Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It’s the only way.”

Until Duterte took office on June 30, the Philippines had been one of the United States’ most important and loyal allies in Asia, and a key to President Barack Obama’s “pivot” to the region. But since becoming president Duterte has done a dramatic foreign policy U-turn that has baffled Washington.

US State Department spokesman John Kirby said on Thursday that the United States would seek clarification from the Philippines about the “separation” remark. “It’s not clear to us exactly what that means in all its ramifications,” he said.

Duterte on Saturday gave a series of comments to clarify those remarks.

“Sever is to cut. Separate is just to chart another way of doing,” he said.

“What I’m really saying was separation of foreign policy, which in the past and until I became president, we always followed what the United States would give the cue.”

Nevertheless, Duterte launched another tirade against the United States for criticising his war on crime, which has left more than 3,600 people dead and raised fears about extrajudicial killings. Duterte said a defence pact signed in 2014, known by the acronym of EDCA and which allows for a much greater US military presence in the Philippines, remained in jeopardy. “It will affect EDCA and the rest of the agreements, maybe, I will have to consult the military, the police and everybody,” he said.

Duterte also said he did not care if the United States or the European Union cut their foreign aid to the Philippines, worth hundreds of millions of dollars a year, over concerns about human rights abuses in his war on crime.

US President Barack Obama welcomes Chinese President Xi Jinping during a State Arrival ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, September 25, 2015. Photo: AFP/Saul Loeb.

“Assistance, USAID, you can go to hell,” he said, referring to the US government’s overseas economic and development assistance organisation.

Duterte often laces his rhetoric with vulgar language, and has repeatedly referred to US President Barack Obama as a “son of a whore”.

On Saturday he let loose again at US and European critics of his war on crime.

“You sons of whores. Your euro, that’s a piece of paper. You run out of toilet paper, you wipe up your rear end,” he said in a rant that at times appeared not to make sense. “You guys are bullshit. Why am I saying this? It sounds the height of vulgarity. You started it.”

Duterte, 71, also repeated criticism of the American invasion of Iraq in 2003, saying it was based on a lie and triggered turmoil in the Middle East that cost many lives. “If there is one thing that America has failed miserably, it is in the province of the human dignity,” he said at the end of his critique of US foreign policy in the Middle East.

Duterte said he also endorsed Russian efforts to keep Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in power. “If Assad is out they (the United States) will have destroyed the entire Middle East,” he said.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
read: china didn't make me rich. i regret everything.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
it's okay though, next year the philippines will have a 250% increase in imports from hong kong

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

fish and chips and dip posted:

If you seriously think that China is even close to being better than the US, well then, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're a right loving dumbass. Also, you should try to live in China for some time, get some perspective.

Try to live in the US for some time

-walk by someone wearing a BLUE LIVES MATTER t-shirt
-drive past a 50,000 strong church sermon
-buy a tomato stew that's called a pizza
-get a minor health issue and pay $50000 to fix it
-try to get educated and find myself indebted for life
-get shot by a cop

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

:salt:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

THE PWNER posted:

-get shot by a cop

I think this guy's go-to number for "a lot" is 50000

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Also, gently caress you, pizza in the us is great

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

THE PWNER posted:

-get shot by a cop

gently caress you we make the best bombs and fried food in the loving WORLD

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Scots have us beat in the fried food department.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 22, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

-get shot by a cop

The US has other problems like lower corruption and better environmental regulations than China

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Pwner is right that's why I only live in Chinatowns in the US.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

THE PWNER posted:

-get shot by a cop

You forgot the part where you have to tip at every step.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Scots have us beat in the fried food department.
The US makes the best flavorful fried foods.

US problems mostly revolve around going broke to get an education and stay healthy. And not getting shot.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

-get shot by a cop

When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
China should play the national anthem from zepellins when they invade, all the americans will loving stand as straight as they can at attention and be free kills

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

China should play the national anthem from zepellins when they invade, all the americans will loving stand as straight as they can at attention and be free kills

Won't work. Americans will start shooting their guns in the air in celebration downing those poorly made PLA blimps.

edit: Just saw the documentary or the Univ. Texas sniper in '66. The cops that stormed the tower had to dodge bullets from citizens that started shooting back at Whitman. Your proposition of Chinese dirigibles is a gun loving Red Stater's wet dream.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
So does this have a completely reasonable explanation or is the government just icing old folks
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/12/asia/china-elderly-missing/

quote:

500,000 elderly people go missing in China every year
Hong Kong (CNN)More than 1,300 elderly people go missing in China every day -- 500,000 per year, a new report claims.

Senior citizens aged 65 or over account for up to 80% of missing elderly person cases, according to the Zhongmin Social Assistance Institute under the Ministry of Civil Affairs.

"This is obviously a huge number and a social issue we cannot afford to ignore," Wang Zhikun, president of the Zhongmin institute, said on Sunday.

Around 25% of those missing had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia, while 72% suffered some sort of memory impairment, according to the report.

Of those who were found after being reported missing, 25% then went missing again, report author Xiong Guibin added.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I was walking by a bus stop and noticed several people staring at me. I decided to stare at this woman's shoes as she walked ahead of me, and I made it look like I was trying to check something on them. I looked up and counted three people also looking at her shoes after that. She was wearing Toms knock-offs, so it wasn't even like there was anything special on them. I hope they wondered what was so fascinating, but they probably just thought the foreigner is retarded.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

This is called homophobic apologia in case you are wondering.
Which part, the blaming of homophobic elements of society on Western influence rather than saying that, actually, Chinese people weren't really cool with gays and it was purely an upper class thing that died as China got rid of that class?

Outrail posted:

So I'm going to a Chinese food potluck tomorrow and I want to bring something good.

Can one of the thread experts in tasty Chinese food recommend an 'authentic', easyish to cook dish that doesn't need any ingredients you couldn't find in a typical western supermarket?

Gutter oil, heavy metals, pollution etc etc hah hah hah.
Tomato Egg would be my recc, bonus points for being something so simple and familiar yet different enough that people go like "oh boy, that's Chinese you say, how interesting".

Imperialist Dog posted:

In conclusion, education in Hong Kong is great if you're rich!
My libertarian 'buddy' always raves about how they govern, so poo poo like this cracks me up because we've always been handed everything here practically for free; education, healthcare, the works.

He also fumes at how his law degree isn't getting him any decent work; turns out making contacts and learning languages is useful when you're in a country undergoing a tourism boom?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

I for one am enjoying the new Battlefield 1 game.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

rear end cobra posted:

I think this guy's go-to number for "a lot" is 50000
5000 is normal tho

the entire concept of mega churches is fuckin fascinating to me. also evangelicals but whatever i live in missouri

its the cheapest building iv ever had the misfortune of entering. white exterior plastic cladding indoors, drywall where it shouldn't be, mixed wood fascias. its impressively poo poo. its a building with mall-level capacity that is built like a shoddy house, i doubt there was oversight from anyone who has designed a building that big. there's no way that they didn't bribe the fire marshall. heres the kicker im not a carpenter i know basically nothing about construction and even i know its built really poorly

its also built on the only piece of ground in the entire city that isn't flat and you can see it for a good loving half mile from the top of that hill. it also doesn't help that it reflects sunlight off of the bumpy and uneven stainless steel cladding all the way up there too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Megachurches are bizarre but they're almost worth it for the time Touchdown Jesus got hit by lightning and burst into flames.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0_DLnyM3s0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Outrail posted:

So I'm going to a Chinese food potluck tomorrow and I want to bring something good.

Can one of the thread experts in tasty Chinese food recommend an 'authentic', easyish to cook dish that doesn't need any ingredients you couldn't find in a typical western supermarket?

Gutter oil, heavy metals, pollution etc etc hah hah hah.

a cucumber salad would be perfect and easy, you can find it in almost every reastaurant nationwide in china

http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-cucumber-salad/

just use a few fresh small (thai-style) chilis instead of chili oil or flakes, and make sure to mix in the sauce only right before serving

the cucumber should be as slim as possible, no fatties

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i drank bai jiu today (sorgham wine), i can't loving get the taste out of my mouth

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

i drank bai jiu today (sorgham wine), i can't loving get the taste out of my mouth

Try getting it out of your clothes or off of a porous surface when spilled. I love baijiu, but the vile reek it leaves behind is terrifying.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Vladimir Poutine posted:

So does this have a completely reasonable explanation or is the government just icing old folks
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/12/asia/china-elderly-missing/

I don't think they mean go missing permanently. They quote a stat saying that 25% of elders that get found go missing again. The 500,000 number might mean all cases of seniors who wander off and not just those who have yet to be found.

The number of cases is plausible though. Let's assume China has similar Alzheimer's rates as the US as a best case scenario. In the US, 2% of the population has Alzheimer's and 95% of Alzheimer's patients are over the age of 65. For China, this means they have about 26 million people have Alzheimer's, 24.7 million of which are over 65. This isn't counting other forms of dementia, although Alzheimer's makes up about 70% of dementia cases in the US. This also isn't counting other conditions that affect cognition, like schizophrenia (which has a prevalence of about 1% in the US).

On the other hand, if we assume the CCP is killing 500,000 seniors per year in some sort of senicide dystopia, then they would have almost 50 years worth of old people to kill from Alzheimer's sufferers alone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CIGNX posted:

On the other hand, if we assume the CCP is killing 500,000 seniors per year in some sort of senicide dystopia, then they would have almost 50 years worth of old people to kill from Alzheimer's sufferers alone.

I doubt it would be CCP. More likely elderly 'kids' who don't want to be legally responsible to care for a daft old woman who just won't die. It wouldn't even have to be murder, just don't bother to look for dementia sufferers who wander away from home and let nature take its course.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Which part, the blaming of homophobic elements of society on Western influence rather than saying that, actually, Chinese people weren't really cool with gays and it was purely an upper class thing that died as China got rid of that class?
Tomato Egg would be my recc, bonus points for being something so simple and familiar yet different enough that people go like "oh boy, that's Chinese you say, how interesting".
My libertarian 'buddy' always raves about how they govern, so poo poo like this cracks me up because we've always been handed everything here practically for free; education, healthcare, the works.

He also fumes at how his law degree isn't getting him any decent work; turns out making contacts and learning languages is useful when you're in a country undergoing a tourism boom?

I was going to suggest Tomato Egg as well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vesi posted:

a cucumber salad would be perfect and easy, you can find it in almost every reastaurant nationwide in china

http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-cucumber-salad/

just use a few fresh small (thai-style) chilis instead of chili oil or flakes, and make sure to mix in the sauce only right before serving

the cucumber should be as slim as possible, no fatties

This is a good suggestion too

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is it a chinese flag and not Xi's face?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It's amazing how quickly he had to walk back that statement. He's fallen over himself to assure the world that he doesn't actually mean he's breaking the treaties and economic/military support the Philippines has enjoyed for 70 years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

It's amazing how quickly he had to walk back that statement. He's fallen over himself to assure the world that he doesn't actually mean he's breaking the treaties and economic/military support the Philippines has enjoyed for 70 years.

I wonder if some military leadership sat down and had a long talk with him.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

whiteyfats posted:

I wonder if some military leadership sat down and had a long talk with him.

I doubt it was that long.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sheep-Goats posted:

I doubt it was that long.

Long enough for a room full of grim faced men to drag their thumbs across their necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's okay because the past is the past? Nope. It's China turn to take it. and in 10 years later China will over taken U.S economy. Then you will learn Mandarin and respect Chinese people. You will also learn to hate the U.S Then Japan and South Korea will follow soon, and U.S will continue to kill and destroy.

Besides if you give 10 million to China, its better than Philipines taking it. Smarter people make better use of resources. Then the resources will flow on to your country.

What can you do with nuclear rods? Nothing,

It's not about who is right or wrong.

THE VICTORS WRITE HISTORY. When history is written all smaller countries will want to ally up and develop superior Chinese ethnics and hardwork.

Why do you think its even good that you eat meat? Meat doesn't want to be eaten, but you are stronger-survival of the fittest.

• Locked thread