Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

With that broken neck I'd have thought you'd gone with "Re...eve..."

Oh I thought he was referencing Metallo... I guess I cant see beyond 'robot'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Threash posted:

Have you guys ever tried poster putty for figures that want to fall over? It's non-adhesive and just need a little bit to help in most cases on one or both feet. Depending on the figure if you use a little more otherwise impossible one legged poses are sometimes doable.

I use poster putty for my NECA Terminator endoskeleton. That bastard fell over at least once a week before I finally stuck his feet to the shelf.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does anyone have the Monsterarts Alien Big Chap or the Mafex Alien Warrior? Debating those vs the NECA version since the Monsterarts is only $30 and the Mafex is $37.

I really dig the NECA version(s). A lot of people poo poo on NECA for having issues with paint apps and breakage, but I collect a ton of NECA stuff and this rarely happens with what I've purchased.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I heard something fall over in the night and didn't think anything of it.

:sigh:

If it makes you feel better in a misery loves company kind of way, the same thing just happened to my Sideshow Dark Crystal Kira that I've had since they came out. I got a pop Aughra as a gift on Saturday, went to add it to my shelf, moved Kira's head and heard a loud POP... onomatopoeia for the win.

Let's just check ebay and.. $500!

Super glue.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I made a Cyclops with an interchangeable jacket and totally forgot to post it for you guys!

I've got a website now too for all my tutorials and stuff. Heres a link to the cyclops tutorial if you want to see how I made it.
http://www.actionfiguretoronto.com/2016/10/15/jim-lee-cyclops-complete-tutorial/

Bonus GIF of the Interchangeable Jacket in action! https://gfycat.com/NeedyTastyBlackfish

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man that's great work as always. How do you get the very top of the thighs off the hip assembly without splitting the entire thing apart? Just heating the figure those joints never seem to come loose.

Also how do you manage to reassemble the figure without messing up the paint at all? Is your sealant just that amazing?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
God drat that is spectacular. Looks almost identical to the one Hasbro's releasing next year but that head with the mouth open is stellar.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Man that's great work as always. How do you get the very top of the thighs off the hip assembly without splitting the entire thing apart? Just heating the figure those joints never seem to come loose.

Also how do you manage to reassemble the figure without messing up the paint at all? Is your sealant just that amazing?

Thanks!

Yeah its super hard to get the top part of the thigh off the crotch piece without damaging the socket in the leg. I normally dont bother with more than the mid thigh joint and either use a base figure thats close to the colour im painting or just something dark you wont notice.

Heres a photo from the tutorial that shows how it was broken down before painting. Thats as much as I do with the upper legs/crotch.

As far as not messing up the paint, I do a lot of prep to make sure joints arnt going to rub then I spray the whole thing with a gloss varnish that dries pretty hard to protect the paint. You still have to be sort of careful with custom figures though if you grind the figure to hard on itself or on something else you can peel the paint.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I'd add that patience is a big factor. Let everything cure 100% before attempting reassembly. Walk away for two days. It's hard but necessary.

The second thing is to use a blow dryer to gently heat the pieces up just enough to reassemble. If you overheat (or god forbid use boiling water to heat) you can slough off the paint/fixative, or it can get cloudy.

Third, always wash your parts in soap and water before painting. It's annoying but your paint will adhere better, and therefore everything that's adhered to the paint will be less likely to flake.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I bought the black paint for Jubilee today, so these tips will be very useful.

[edit]

I asked last page, but anyone has Dormammu's right arm from the comic book Dr Strange?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2016

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Yay I got in a couple more horror NECA toys. The first one is Nightmare 3 Freddy. The first thing I noticed is that the paint is a lot more brighter than the Nightmare 1 Freddy. Personally I prefer the darker Freddy. Still it looks good and the claws were straight! Since I've already got 4 Freddys I'll be displaying him with the soul chest and the screaming head with the crucifix burn.

And I've also got Friday the 13th 3(-D) Jason. The box has a lentricular front flap for a 3-D effect. This one is my favorite Jason I've gotten so far. He's kinda slimmer than the zombie Jason from part 6. So zombie Jason gained weight and grew some teeth after he died.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Well, I just found this thread and wanted to see if anyone else was as excited about the new Play Arts Kai black suit Spider-Man. MY GIRLFRIEND got it for me for my birthday after I stopped caring about action figures for like a decade+.

I am now suddenly giddy like a schoolgirl and went out and got a (legit) PAK Boba Fett figure for a reasonable (still way too much for a responsible adult) price, and now I'm eying the drat Wolverine and Deadpool ones coming out soon, because drat if I'm lazy and don't want to build my own figure, plus the designs seem pretty drat awesome.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Not as exciting as my Begins belt, but I'm pretty happy with my 89 refinish. I polished up the metal buckle with some Brasso, and started with a brand new piece of material for the strap. Painting flexible urethane is already tricky enough, and even more so trying to put lacquer over enamel. But after many, many thin coats I think it came out great. I know the color isn't 100% accurate to either movie, but I still like the end result. I just wish the side pods fit a little better. They are about 5% too small.

The real breakthrough was dealing with the adhesive on the back of the strap. Just like in the original, the strap is actually the side molding from a 1988 Chevy truck. It has about a 1mm thick layer of adhesive strip on the top and bottom all the way across that is impossible to remove without a Dremel. I tried every kind of solvent and scraping and cutting tool I have, and I have a lot. It's just too gummy. And I didn't think a Dremel would do a clean job, so instead I just left it and hit it with a few coats of lacquer and flat black. It completely neutralized the adhesive and left it looking great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Blizzard store has them for $11 each for the regular and $25 for deluxe - http://gear.blizzard.com/heroes

Grabbed a second set to keep carded and it came to like $60 shipped.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Nice, thanks for the tip. I want Stitches, but it's $50 at the Toys r Us around here.

Old, but they have Stitches on sale for $25 right now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Found another black panther at wal mart, so if you want one, lemme know.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through I didn't try to give her sleeves for the jacket or add sliver and purple highlights to the outfit (might do this later), I am very happy with how Jubilee looks as it is.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/789650292182749184

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Duke Igthorn posted:

Ok so I had this idea for a movie. I don't have a script yet but I have the synopsis down:

Gotta start me a Kickstarter

Holy crap, where did that Rocketeer figure come from.,?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BSS Action Figure Megathread IX- Holy crap, where did that Rocketeer figure come from?

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, whoops, got a little over excited, didn't realize it's already been discussed at length.
: /

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know, what could I do for Jubilee's sleeves without molding putty and paint? I might order the silver and purple paint and get smaller brush to do the design later, but so glad it worked out so well. Just need to watch when I put her coat back on, as you can see a little bit of black paint got on it as it wasn't dry.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rirse posted:

You know, what could I do for Jubilee's sleeves without molding putty and paint? I might order the silver and purple paint and get smaller brush to do the design later, but so glad it worked out so well. Just need to watch when I put her coat back on, as you can see a little bit of black paint got on it as it wasn't dry.

My plan is to use the upper arms from the new Rogue figure and recreate the Saturday morning cartoon look with the big gloves where her sleeves were rolled up to the elbow. I'd like to use the lower arms from the new Kitty with the gloves so I don't have to try to sculpt them perfectly myself.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There is a new Jubilee planned for this year.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

There is a new Jubilee planned for this year.

Nothing suggests this, where'd you see this?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

None of this changes the fact that Jubilee is terrible. :smugbert:

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Can anyone attest to the quality of the Bootleg WW Link Nendoroid?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ShimSham posted:

Quality is acceptable for the price but the paint is questionable in places. I'd just go with the World of Nintendo WW Link, it's much better both scale and head to body ratio wise.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Counterpoint: World of Nintendo toys look like poo poo.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Nothing suggests this, where'd you see this?

I know.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWbIoIR04c

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ShimSham posted:

Is the bootleg less than $15?

http://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/toys/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-link-nendoroid-figure/122138

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well that's unavailable online and I would be completely astonished if there is a Nendoroid Link for sale at your local GameStop much less for $15.

They are reissuing Link without a lot of his accessories along with the extremely expensive Sonic Nendoroid, I think bbts has them both on pre-order right now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Well that's unavailable online and I would be completely astonished if there is a Nendoroid Link for sale at your local GameStop much less for $15.

They are reissuing Link without a lot of his accessories along with the extremely expensive Sonic Nendoroid, I think bbts has them both on pre-order right now.

There's 7 in the NYC area alone. Probably could find one near you, if you're willing to drive.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man this is a nice figure. Shame the Michael Myers license lapsed with NECA, as they make some drat good figures.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/789989096831803392

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe they'll make a 'William Shatner in a boilersuit' action figure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe they'll make a 'William Shatner in a boilersuit' action figure.

The license for The Devil's Rain is probably cheap for NECA too.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Seeing that deal was what got me actively looking for it, after passing on it when it was more expensive.

It was listed as in stock at a local store, and I put in to do a store pickup but then they emailed me saying it wasn't actually in stock. I kind of wonder if an employee just happened to see my pickup request and thought, "poo poo, that's a good deal" and just claimed it was out of stock.

The World of Nintendo Toon Link just looks off for some reason, I can't put my finger on it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ShimSham posted:

The World of Nintendo Toon Link just looks off for some reason, I can't put my finger on it.

Reinanigans posted:

Counterpoint: World of Nintendo toys look like poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok why do you post all those pics on Twittter and not just use Imgur?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If he's already posting them to Twitter, it saves a step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I wanted to say I bought the DC Icons Batman and it's :perfect:. It scales with my SH Figuarts and Figma perfectly. I'll take some pics later, but it looks great with Vader and Luke and Goku.

It might not scale with my legends Spider-Man, but that's a small price.