Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

khy posted:

The even better part is she declared surprise war on me two turns after I posted that.

I had Russia declare surprise war on me, when we were declared friends, twice. Though in his case it kind of made sense because he only had two cities, sandwiched between me and Egypt, and Cleopatra's a nut who makes tons of units while I had relatively little at the time.

(Both times after I fought him off he eventually came back around to liking me because I was so far ahead of him, and eventually he started settling cities on other continents.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Eventually you'll find someone to accept you friendship.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
To the people who said that you only need ranged units: I feel this would fall apart rather quickly against the endless hordes of horsemen that Monty had thrown at my army. I assume he lacked iron.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Several Questions:

1. Is there a way to see culture mechanics in any measure way? As in how long till I gain a free tile from culture expansion, how your culture score affects this rate, and which tile you will gain?

2. What determines which city tiles you can purchase? Is it distance from the city center? Can this be altered in any way?

3. What are the mechanics behind religion? I skipped Civ V so I've never played with religion before.
A. Can I only spread my religion to other cultures that have religion? I've tried using missionaries on cities that only have a Pantheon, and it seemed to do nothing?
B. Does religion spread without sending missionaries/apostles? I remember seeing there are traits you can pick when you found a religion that says "increases range of religion spread by 30%" and things like that. What does that mean? Right now it seems like the only way I can spread religion is via unit abilities.

4. To claim a luxury resource do you need to build an improvement over it, or do you just need to have the tile within your city's borders? For example to utilize fur as an amenity, do I need to build a camp over it?

5. What's the general consensus on destroying woods/jungle for instant production? Is that something I should be doing a lot, or will it cripple my long term production by removing usable cogs?

6. How do you make friends with someone who won't even accept your initial foray (the one that costs 25 gold). Do you have to just keep giving them gifts of gold until they will accept it?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megasabin posted:

Several Questions:

1. Not sure, sorry. I haven't seen it yet at least.

2. Distance and being connected to tiles you already own. Though in my current game I've somehow gained (not bought) tiles past what I thought was the distance limit. Not sure what's happening there.

3. A. You can spread to cities with pantheons or no religion.
B. Yes. There's a certain range cities can "push" religion, I believe, and that belief extends it. Passive spread is relatively slow, though, whereas units can convert enough people to make the religion dominant in two-three charges.

4. You need the improvement.

5. It's probably worth it, particularly if you're going to build something over those woods anyway later and/or are building up Industrial Zone buildings to offset this.

6. Agendas seem like the biggest deal in people liking you, as far as I can tell.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
wtf, if i get converted i cant spread my religion back. religion seems kinda pointless and impossible to compete in on higher difficulty levels unless youre a religion focused civ i guess

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Roland Jones posted:

1. Not sure, sorry. I haven't seen it yet at least.

2. Distance and being connected to tiles you already own. Though in my current game I've somehow gained (not bought) tiles past what I thought was the distance limit. Not sure what's happening there.

3. A. You can spread to cities with pantheons or no religion.
B. Yes. There's a certain range cities can "push" religion, I believe, and that belief extends it. Passive spread is relatively slow, though, whereas units can convert enough people to make the religion dominant in two-three charges.

4. You need the improvement.

5. It's probably worth it, particularly if you're going to build something over those woods anyway later and/or are building up Industrial Zone buildings to offset this.

6. Agendas seem like the biggest deal in people liking you, as far as I can tell.

If you can spread to cities with Pantheons or no religion, how do you do it? When I click on the unit with missionary it shows that circular bar around next to city name's of cities with other religions, showing me how much of the city is controlled by religion vs theirs, and a noticable change happens when I use a missionary ability to convert people. For cities with no religion or no pantheon, that circular bar never appears, and when I use the spread religion ability in those cities, nothing noticable seems to happen?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megasabin posted:

If you can spread to cities with Pantheons or no religion, how do you do it? When I click on the unit with missionary it shows that circular bar around next to city name's of cities with other religions, showing me how much of the city is controlled by religion vs theirs, and a noticable change happens when I use a missionary ability to convert people. For cities with no religion or no pantheon, that circular bar never appears, and when I use the spread religion ability in those cities, nothing noticable seems to happen?

I'm not sure, I had no problems when I've done it. You might need to do it two+ times, though; when I went around converting city-states and the like, it took two charges to get them from nothing to following my religion.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

wtf, if i get converted i cant spread my religion back. religion seems kinda pointless and impossible to compete in on higher difficulty levels unless youre a religion focused civ i guess

Always have missionaries/apostles around to reconvert your cities, or better yet don't let yourself get converted in the first place. Murder the incoming priests if you have to.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Montezuma is amazing. Just spam Eagle Warriors and then snowball hard with all your free builders. And since they don't cost any maintenance, you can keep dozens of them around to beat up on city states to get free builders even in later eras.

Aztecs own :parrot:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Brazil's industrial music sounds so much like the Muppet Show theme song that I can't help but laugh every time he shows up to insult me for recruiting a Great Person.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Is it just me or Russia really good? Starting with additional space really helps against the new limits. Also I can build in tundras where no one else wants to. Scythia seems really powerful as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Roland Jones posted:

Always have missionaries/apostles around to reconvert your cities, or better yet don't let yourself get converted in the first place. Murder the incoming priests if you have to.

Having to do this is dumb. You shouldn't be able to switch off another religion like that. If my city becomes half one religion and half my religion then why can't I recruit missionaries at all there any more?
I think I prefer Religion as a buff instead of a win condition since now if you're not focused on it other civs wipe yours out really fast.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah the quotes are almost universally awful this time around, as is the narration.

I will say that while I appreciate the Pratchett, the quote for Printing Press was barely even relevant.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Really, Firaxis? A world of magnificent quotes from artists, scholars, and intellectuals and you pick a natural wonder quote from CRACKED.COM? Seriously?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wish it was actually indicated when my turn comes up. Maybe there's a sound that plays? I don't know if there is, as I'm deaf. But your leader head popping up at top right and the bottom right globe changing are really, really subtle, especially since I'm usually using my other monitor while I'm waiting for the AI to process.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Do you essentially have to build industrial districts to actually play? As the game goes on it feels sort of insane that I'm spending 30 turns building an aqueduct or 15 on a pikeman. I'm playing on Epic so I expect it to take a while but it's not THAT different.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Brannock posted:

I wish it was actually indicated when my turn comes up. Maybe there's a sound that plays? I don't know if there is, as I'm deaf. But your leader head popping up at top right and the bottom right globe changing are really, really subtle, especially since I'm usually using my other monitor while I'm waiting for the AI to process.

I'd be happy if the loading screen just loaded straight into the game rather than making me press a button that may take a while to come up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Taear posted:

Do you essentially have to build industrial districts to actually play? As the game goes on it feels sort of insane that I'm spending 30 turns building an aqueduct or 15 on a pikeman. I'm playing on Epic so I expect it to take a while but it's not THAT different.

You don't have to but the production boost is worthwhile.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
They really seem to have fixed none of the 1upt problems since civ 5.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

khy posted:

You don't have to but the production boost is worthwhile.

I guess I'm saying that right now I can't manage to make enough hammers without one. Or cogs, I guess.

If you start building a district then change your mind it doesn't seem like there's any way to stop it either. I got a turn into a commercial district about 100 years ago, it's still there.

So if your religion stops being the main religion in a city that's it then. It's gone. You can't build new missionaries or anything ever again. If I'd had inquisitors available would I be able to build them?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm going to have to turn off Religious Victory because I'm sick of the AI spamming tons of missionaries everywhere.

And how do I build a national park? It says it needs to be built on the appropriate site, but nothing has an icon or anything on the map.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Boy, Pericles sure is strong. Got my Emperor 6player win with a cultural victory. Can't wait to see where do modders take this one.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Megasabin posted:

Several Questions:

1. Not as far as I can tell.

2. You can purchase tiles up to 3 hexes away from your city center. You can only build in and work on tiles within this radius. However your city's natural border expansion can grow beyond this 3 hex radius. You won't be able to work those tiles, but they still count as your territory for all relevant effects (healing, creating national parks, bonuses dependent on home territory, etc) and you can still build improvements on them (which would give you access to whatever strategic or luxury resources they have).

3. A. You can spread religion to any city. Depending on the population of the city, you might need multiple missionaries or apostles to fully convert it.
3. B. Cities exert religious pressure like in Civ5, but it seems to be kinda less powerful this time around. It appears they really want you to be active to get a decent religious spread as opposed to just passively converting stuff.

4. They must be improved.

5. Woods removal I'd say depends. Woods give tiles production which is quite valuable, and can be upgraded with a Lumber Mill later on for even more production, so on a city that doesn't have many hills I'd try to keep them. They're also valuable for National Parks later in the game. Rainforest is almost always removed. It gives the tile a food bonus which is a lot less valuable and no improvements can be built on it. It does have Campus adjacency bonus which can be valuable if you have no mountains, but in most cases I don't really think twice about removing it.

6. Often people wont accept delegations or embassies because they don't want you to get that access level. The easiest way to get the AI to like you is to play to their agendas.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I was playing America and going for a culture win when I see multiple Roman apostles roll through my border. And by roll through I mean the AI is smart enough to send them toward different cities.

I had my own religion so I think "this is annoying" then I check the victory screen and lo and behold I'm the only country not following Rome's religion. I panicked, forgot Holy War was a thing and declared surprise war because I didn't want to risk Trajan using my roads to convert my empire in five turns.

Queue the whole world denouncing/declaring war on me. :argh: I'm trying to keep you all from losing assholes!!! :argh:

Anyway, I had unified my continent long before this all happened, so I spent the next 30 or so turns loving wrecking the AI's embarked armies with artillery stationed on the coastal cliffs of America. (Except for Norway, their massive navy spent a while raiding my coastline, but eventually got that under control.)

Long story short, I blocked Rome's victory and eventually did win my culture victory, but goddamned was that poo poo got bloody. I don't think I've fought a war that apocalyptic since Civ III. I like to imagine by the end my museums were just full of sculptures made of skulls.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 23, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

twistedmentat posted:

I'm going to have to turn off Religious Victory because I'm sick of the AI spamming tons of missionaries everywhere.

And how do I build a national park? It says it needs to be built on the appropriate site, but nothing has an icon or anything on the map.

I tried looking up how to do this in the Civilopedia, it doesn't actually explain it in the Conservation civic or the unit description for the Naturalist, and it's not in the tile or improvement sections. It has its own line in the "game concepts" page.

Basically you need to have a 4-tile diamond composed of mountains/natural wonders/unimproved tiles with a base appeal of 2. If you have a naturalist and select it, any potential park sites should be glowing white. All four tiles have to be controlled by the same city, too -- I was stumped as to why a certain site wasn't available and that was because one of the mountain tiles was "owned" by a different city

khy
Aug 15, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

To make a national park you have to build a naturalist unit (Conservation civic), move him into an old-growth forest and it should be one of his abilities.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
In my first game I'm randomed France on Prince and figured I should go for a cultural victory. I'm at around turn 220 and I'm in the lead in both Science and Culture. All 8 civs are still around. Two declared war on me fairly early, but made peace after maybe one fight. Germany now has this huge military that could easily crush me, but they don't do anything. For me to try and gear up for war would probably really set me back for my planned victory.

How is going for Domination not the best always? You'll have the army to crush the everyone else if they're going for peaceful wins and you'll stand a chance against the hostile guys.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

How is going for Domination not the best always? You'll have the army to crush the everyone else if they're going for peaceful wins and you'll stand a chance against the hostile guys.

Depends on the size of map. Dominiation takes loving forever on a big one.

I'm allied with another Civ and out of nowhere another civ from another continent lands an apostle in my borders which instantly begins a war. But that other civ didn't get to join in with that same war. It's a "formal war" as well. Do alliances not work that way? If not why do they even exist? I can't even see her units!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a question about luxury resources and amenities.

Specifically, what the gently caress.

I was under the (Mistaken, obviously) assumption that 1 luxury resource = 1 amenity and that amenties were civ-wide. But when I built a new city it bitched at me for having 0 of 1 amenities and my people wanted more. This despite the fact that I have at least 6 unique luxuries available.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

khy posted:

I have a question about luxury resources and amenities.

Specifically, what the gently caress.

I was under the (Mistaken, obviously) assumption that 1 luxury resource = 1 amenity and that amenties were civ-wide. But when I built a new city it bitched at me for having 0 of 1 amenities and my people wanted more. This despite the fact that I have at least 6 unique luxuries available.

One luxury resource is one amenity for four cities. Extra copies of that luxury apply to another four cities. So, if you only have one copy of a luxury, it'll apply to cities one through four, but not to five or beyond. A second one will apply to five through eight, etc.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

One luxury resource is one amenity for four cities. Extra copies of that luxury apply to another four cities. So, if you only have one copy of a luxury, it'll apply to cities one through four, but not to five or beyond. A second one will apply to five through eight, etc.

I got a great engineer who gave me 'toys' and it said it was worth four amenities. Does that mean that four different cities got 4 amenities, or does that mean 16 cities got 1 amenity?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
16 cities get one. You can confirm it by going to the amenities or trade screen and seeing exactly how many you have.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Smirr posted:

I think the thing I hate the most of all the bizarre UI regressions is the barbarian camp sound. There's a new barbarian camp somewhere (after satellites: IN THE ENTIRE WORLD), but we're not going to tell you where. Absolutely maddening

They arn't barbarians by that point, you're trying the use satellites to find the Viet Cong. Good luck with that.

Taear posted:

It's especially bad when the barbarians start rolling in with swordsmen and you can't find iron. This feels like it happens a lot.

The gave needs a civ quote from the Egyptians for when the Sea Peoples with Iron show up. "My father, behold, the enemy's ships came (here); my cities(?) were burned, and they did evil things in my country. Does not my father know that all my troops and chariots(?) are in the Land of Hatti, and all my ships are in the Land of Lukka? ... Thus, the country is abandoned to itself. May my father know it: the seven ships of the enemy that came here inflicted much damage upon us.

And here's some very old advice "As for what you [Ammurapi] have written to me: 'Ships of the enemy have been seen at sea!' Well, you must remain firm. Indeed for your part, where are your troops, your chariots stationed? Are they not stationed near you? No? Behind the enemy, who press upon you? Surround your towns with ramparts. Have your troops and chariots enter there, and await the enemy with great resolution!"

Ojetor posted:

Each Luxury provides 4 of your cities with an amenity, but only once per city for any specific Luxury. So if you have 3 Tea, up to 12 of your cities can get an amenity from tea. If you only have 4 cities, the second and third Teas don't do anything. You should still improve the tiles and sell the excess Tea to the AI.

Where do I go too that tells me how many unused amenity's do I have?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 23, 2016

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Finally won my first game as Gilgamesh. Sumer's war carts are insanely useful in the beginning and once I established an early tech lead with the help of Ziggurats I was pretty much unstoppable (apart from having to deal with endless legions of missionaries from Scythia who I realised way too late were well on their way to a religion victory).

I was gunning for a science victory but the Mars projects were far too slow and I ended up getting a culture victory somehow despite paying minimal attention to it.

Pretty fun overall, though the late game got a bit tedious waiting for the inevitable victory to come. Aside from the slow production which a lot of people have been complaining about, one thing that stood out to me was that it was really difficult to get people to be friends with me. I did everything the tooltip on the diplo screen recommends for increasing friendship with Japan, including liberating one of their cities for them, but despite being "Friends" on the relationship meter they wouldn't accept a declaration of friendship.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

16 cities get one. You can confirm it by going to the amenities or trade screen and seeing exactly how many you have.

I swear there's something wrong then.

I have 3 cocoa resources for example, and only 6 cities. None of those cocoa resources are traded away, so why does one of my cities have 0 of 1 amentities?

Plus I'm suzerain of so many city states yet I seem to be getting exactly jack and poo poo from them.

khy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 23, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Can you still pay the AI civs to go to war with each other? Because that was great fun in 5.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Can you remove a district? I didn't realize they replace tile yields :-(

gently caress does this count for natural wonder boosts too? Is building a theater next to the new Zealand fjord a bad idea?

Anyway I fuckin suck at this game. I think I started maybe 7 games, and the ancient era is fun as gently caress and i feel like i'm getting poo poo done. But sometime in the late classical era I realize I'm stalling hard and am unwinnably behind all the AIs and don't want to play 83 more hours to lose. Any tips? I feel like I don't have enough of anything.

My best one was my Aztec one where I wrecked all nearby civs and got more workers than I could reliably use. Even then it felt hosed and then higher-tech barbs destroyed my elite army and pillaged all tiles while sieging.

Also I need a better way to figure out what a good city location is, because it seems like the first three or for I settle are great, and the rest suck poo poo bigtime. When is it worth it to settle away from water? Ever? To grab one specific thing you need (because that city's gonna suck for the rest of the game)?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I had a trader tell me a rumor that another civ had received a delegation from myself. :psyduck:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

I had a trader tell me a rumor that another civ had received a delegation from myself. :psyduck:

i keep getting these and it's only distinguishing to me that information like that is only marginally less useful than the technically new to me information of 'so-and-so had one unit get this one promotion' or 'so and so started to build a campus in 1800 ad'

but i keep having to pay attention through all these inane messages because occasionally it will give me some useful info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress does this count for natural wonder boosts too? Is building a theater next to the new Zealand fjord a bad idea?

Anyway I fuckin suck at this game. I think I started maybe 7 games, and the ancient era is fun as gently caress and i feel like i'm getting poo poo done. But sometime in the late classical era I realize I'm stalling hard and am unwinnably behind all the AIs and don't want to play 83 more hours to lose. Any tips? I feel like I don't have enough of anything.

The worst thing is starting a wonder, replacing a resource with it then failing to build the wonder. No more resource!

I feel the same way. Like there's so much stuff I have to do that I don't feel like I'm doing anything at all. I guess it's because the game feels a bit more skewed towards the people who specialised their cities in the other games, like Civ 5 did when it first came out. I just want to build almost everything, is that too much to ask?