Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cumshitter posted:

I'm vaguely aware that losing when you are defending an indefensible client is a Good Thing in lawyering circles. You get cred for trying to push the boulder up that hill.

Are there any instances where someone took on a losing case and hosed it up so badly that it actually hurt their career? Like, the jury found their client double guilty or something.

The other side of that is that it's literally the lawyer's job to defend the client no matter what. The public might hate you if you defend somebody terrible but, well, it goes deeper than just trying to get a "Not Guilty." A defense attorney is also supposed to be an advocate for the defendant when it comes to sentencing and what have you; it's going to be considered a win for the lawyer if they don't get maximum time. That's the other side of what defense attorneys do. "Well hey don't you think that 137 years is a bit much for this, your honor?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm just gonna leave this here....

https://twitter.com/goblin_seimen/status/789153685356027905

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Something related: The group that is fighting for returning federal lands to states has seen its membership drop dramatically.

I really hope the Bundys see this and realize that they're in large part responsible for defeating their own goals.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I have to say, I've never thought about the circumstances of LaVoy's death while on the toilet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Knight posted:

I have to say, I've never thought about the circumstances of LaVoy's death while on the toilet.
Protip: The toilet is a modified version if his cattle brand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Casimir Radon posted:

It looks okay, till you turn it 15° and see that it’s just a “W” with a wide stance.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

TotalLossBrain posted:

Something related: The group that is fighting for returning federal lands to states has seen its membership drop dramatically.

I really hope the Bundys see this and realize that they're in large part responsible for defeating their own goals.

How fitting, a rump organisation for a rump ideology :smugdog:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I really don't understand this "LaVoy begged to die" thing. Why is that supposed to be a sick burn that will drive SovCits insane with rage? And while yes I know he wanted to be a martyr I don't recall him begging to die.

And what's with the bathroom thing? Is that supposed to be LaVoy wishing for martyrdom while taking a dump?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Elephant Ambush posted:

I really don't understand this "LaVoy begged to die" thing. Why is that supposed to be a sick burn that will drive SovCits insane with rage? And while yes I know he wanted to be a martyr I don't recall him begging to die.

And what's with the bathroom thing? Is that supposed to be LaVoy wishing for martyrdom while taking a dump?

The back and bowl of the toilet are the LV from his ranch brand.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's because their narrative is that the evil, evil gubmint assassinated LaVoy for being a True and Good Patriot rather. See, they know people like that are dangerous so they keep them down and kill them if they need to.

Ignoring that LaVoy was a colossal dumbass who actively tried to get himself martyred.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

He ran a roadblock, crashed into a snowbank, and stumbled around in the snow screaming that they were going to have to kill him while trying to draw a gun. It's incredibly clean cut.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Casimir Radon posted:

OUCH! I completely missed that

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Casimir Radon posted:

He ran a roadblock, crashed into a snowbank, and stumbled around in the snow screaming that they were going to have to kill him while trying to draw a gun. It's incredibly clean cut.

Not to mention screaming "you have to kill me" for a few minutes at the stop, and I think also when he was stumbling around afterwards. Oh, and nearly hitting a cop when he plunged into the snowbank. He literally begged to die.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Elephant Ambush posted:

He died screaming "Just shoot me!" repeatedly at the police while reaching for his gun.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

He died screaming "Just shoot me!" repeatedly at the police while reaching for his gun.

I have to admit I'm a little annoyed he got what he wanted. I don't blame the police, as it's not like he left them many options. At best maybe they could have withdrawn and let him exhaust himself stumbling around in the snow, but that probably wasn't possible given their close proximity after Finicum got out of his car.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nocturtle posted:

I have to admit I'm a little annoyed he got what he wanted. I don't blame the police, as it's not like he left them many options. At best maybe they could have withdrawn and let him exhaust himself stumbling around in the snow, but that probably wasn't possible given their close proximity after Finicum got out of his car.

It would have been amazing had they been able to taze him. Just imagine him in the court room, too. :allears:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok so it's painting him as a sad hosed up coward. That makes sense. Thanks.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My grandparents asked me to set up a family Facebook... apparently during this thread v.1. I never go to Facebook though and didn't remember and had to check it today for an upcoming date.

The Complete Family Facebook page has a yellow banner with the "please send snacks" text.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

Finicum was actively trying to draw a gun. If anything, they waited longer than a black guy on the street probably would have gotten if he reached into his own jacket.

While a totally bloodless capture would have made the quashing of the "revolution" a little cleaner, I do think it may have morbidly been better this way. The death of Finicum came only when he stopped being a nuisance and actually tried to use the weapons he brought to kill people. It sends a warning to the rest of the occupiers: if you try to shoot us, you will die.

A lot of the occupiers seemed to falter once the possibility of actually meeting oblivion for their cause was put on the table. Just like everyone else on their side of politics, the majority will talk up a storm but aren't willing to actually kill real people or die doing it. It's clear that many of them probably didn't even expect a fight after Bunkerville ended in the federal government backing off and seemingly surrendering to the strength of Cliven Bundy. That apparent surrender is likely one of the reasons they even thought the Malheur occupation was viable in the first place; they succeeded once, so why not go for broke? Ammon and Ryan spoke of turning the wildlife refuge into a sort of safe haven for sovereign citizens, speaking in grand terms of other uprisings and occupations around the country creating little spheres of independence not subject to federal laws. None of this talk would have made sense if they actually intended to die in a huge battle against the FBI.

Finicum's death proved otherwise. Not only were the leaders of the revolution swiftly captured in an ambush, the one rancher who actually tried fighting back was left dead in the snow before he got a single shot off. The hysterical myths that filtered back first ("He was shot between the eyes while on his knees!") probably further terrified the occupiers by making them think the government was going to just sweep in and execute the whole lot of them, but in general it showed that the government had stopped loving around and everyone involved was going to be dead or imprisoned if they didn't get out of dodge fast. The result was almost the whole drat occupation packing up and retreating.

I can't imagine the surrounding and arresting of the final Camp Finicum gang going nearly as smoothly if the FBI had the entire occupying force to try and deal with instead of four lonely and cold morons.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

It would have been amazing had they been able to taze him. Just imagine him in the court room, too. :allears:

"OBJECTION YOUR HONOR! It's my Constitutional right to wrap myself in my security tarp!"

"Sigh....overruled"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

Are there any instances where someone took on a losing case and hosed it up so badly that it actually hurt their career? Like, the jury found their client double guilty or something.

ate all the Oreos posted:

"You did so bad at this case you're going to jail instead of your client so you can think about what you've done!"

I think it's seriously this. Like, ending up in jail during or after the trial and getting disbarred because you behaved badly in court or tampered with evidence or something.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/hecktow/status/789969901838438400

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

For those who don't know, that's from Fred Meyers, the approximate equivalent to Kroger in the PacNW.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i thought kroger was more of a supermarket chain, rather than a superstore/hypermart

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i thought kroger was more of a supermarket chain, rather than a superstore/hypermart

I don't know what a superstore/hypermart is.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

WrenP-Complete posted:

For those who don't know, that's from Fred Meyers, the approximate equivalent to Kroger in the PacNW.

Recognizing coupons by colour - are you a grad student by chance?

(Most of our grocery shopping happens at Freddy's, but my wife does it so...)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Superwalmart, but with even more. Like a mini mall

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

WrenP-Complete posted:

fred meyer is like a walmart/target. kroger is a grocery store. and no it doesn't need to be a super-walmart or anything

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

fred meyer is like a walmart/target. kroger is a grocery store. and no it doesn't need to be a super-walmart or anything

Ah, I saw that Kroger brand stuff was sold at Freddy's, so I thought maybe they were similar in other parts of the country.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Recognizing coupons by colour - are you a grad student by chance?

Not anymore. :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Fred Meyer was an independent chain that was acquired by Kroger some years ago, but maintains their own regional identity. At least as far as I can tell. I've shopped at Fred Meyer for years and years, and the main thing I've seen change is that their grocery pricing is better than it used to be. Fred Meyer stores are about the closest thing I've seen to truly one-stop-shopping that is actually decent.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Kroger's owns a bunch of regional chains and usually has store brand versions of milk and stuff. You can tell which giant company owns your regional chain by looking for the manufacturer on the off label goods.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

A hypermart is Wal-Mart's ambitious new plan to expand into extra dimensions

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Then there is the Meijers in Michigan and other midwestern places, which is a combination of both.

Also: Stay Free Tarp Ghost

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
less supermarts, more super jails

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

poo poo, the larger Kroger's in KY/OH sell clothes and shoes and furniture.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Blaine Cooper has proffered a deal with federal prosecutors in which he would testify against the five members of the Bundy family, along with 13 others including independent journalist Peter T. Santilli. All of the men have been charged with at 16 federal felonies, and if found guilty could spend 50 years to life in prison.

Cooper called Patriot activist Jaime Spears from a federal detention facility in Nevada to tell her he had decided to make the deal so that he could, "go home to see my children." It is unknown at this time if prosecutors will accept the proffer, or what concessions they may be prepared to make in exchange for Cooper's testimony.

The trial is scheduled to begin on February 6th, more than a year since the group was arrested for their activities at the Bundy Ranch Standoff in 2014 and the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January of 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J7rSPhnmDU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cumshitter posted:

less supermarts, more super jails

As if you needed a super jail to keep these chucklefucks locked up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

As if you needed a super jail to keep these chucklefucks locked up.

These are ranchers, man. They know how to braid rope. Rope! How can you contain a man who makes his own rope? Regular prison doesn't know how to deal with this poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blaine's gonna loving get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

chitoryu12 posted:

Blaine's gonna loving get shot.

well, the bright side is the more they turn on each other, federal property remains unmolested