Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Any suggestions on minor tweaks and additions to the vanilla game? I just came back from a 3+ year hiatus and I think I've seen just about all the new stuff I'm likely to see, but I'd still like something more. Something that adds more dungeons or general gameplay depth without more tedium would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Playing Agrarian Skies 2

First real time trying Botania. Constantly seeing unknown status on all plants and spreaders even after just sleeping. Do I need to click on them with the wand every time or are they working fine? I like to fight ocd wherever I can. :D

Made a mob trap using Extra Utilities conveyors which works great but I made the same thing in the end and get squat. EUs conveyors definitely spawn enderman in the overworld, why arent they doing it in the end? I used 2 stacks of slabs to make my way out from the island. There are clouds around but i dont see enderman spawning on them or anywhere near where I am.
What am I missing?

AS2 was my first real try at the magic mods to force myself to give them a try. botania is decent enough. I like Thaumcraft so far but its just a real pain to find anything in that book as it seems to like to discover things I didnt plan on discovering as I am just trying to move the drat screen around. And finding things in the book can be a huge pain. It seems to have a search function that doesnt even work.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

OgNar posted:

Playing Agrarian Skies 2

First real time trying Botania. Constantly seeing unknown status on all plants and spreaders even after just sleeping. Do I need to click on them with the wand every time or are they working fine? I like to fight ocd wherever I can. :D

Made a mob trap using Extra Utilities conveyors which works great but I made the same thing in the end and get squat. EUs conveyors definitely spawn enderman in the overworld, why arent they doing it in the end? I used 2 stacks of slabs to make my way out from the island. There are clouds around but i dont see enderman spawning on them or anywhere near where I am.
What am I missing?

AS2 was my first real try at the magic mods to force myself to give them a try. botania is decent enough. I like Thaumcraft so far but its just a real pain to find anything in that book as it seems to like to discover things I didnt plan on discovering as I am just trying to move the drat screen around. And finding things in the book can be a huge pain. It seems to have a search function that doesnt even work.

Leave them unless you notice something isnt working. You can even lose the known status after unequipping the wand.

Thaumcraft is good if you know what your doing. blightfall is a pretty good intro to it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

OgNar posted:

Playing Agrarian Skies 2

What am I missing?

Botania objects will not display their status in real time via clicking on them with the wand. That's just an instant readout. There are visual indications of object status, though. Most obvious is that mana pools fill up. Less obvious is that passive generating flowers will start to emit particles if they're full of mana.

Just put some gaps in the conveyors. Endermen will wander like any other mob, and will get caught by the conveyors.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Invisible Ted posted:

Any suggestions on minor tweaks and additions to the vanilla game? I just came back from a 3+ year hiatus and I think I've seen just about all the new stuff I'm likely to see, but I'd still like something more. Something that adds more dungeons or general gameplay depth without more tedium would be nice.

Storage drawers and tinker's Construct and rougelike dungeons would be a good start. Better storage, tools, weapons, and exploration without going too crazy. Harvest craft if you like food stuff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Iron Chest and Better Furnaces will help with tedium reduction without taking things away from the Vanilla aesthetic.

Edit: Wait I guess this is only applicable for 1.7.10.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 23, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Leave them unless you notice something isnt working. You can even lose the known status after unequipping the wand.

Thaumcraft is good if you know what your doing. blightfall is a pretty good intro to it.

McFrugal posted:

Botania objects will not display their status in real time via clicking on them with the wand. That's just an instant readout. There are visual indications of object status, though. Most obvious is that mana pools fill up. Less obvious is that passive generating flowers will start to emit particles if they're full of mana.

Just put some gaps in the conveyors. Endermen will wander like any other mob, and will get caught by the conveyors.

Thanks, I will ignore the status thing then.
Just killed the Wither, so maybe i will give cursed earth a try for a mob trap in the end.

I am liking Thaumcraft golems. They are just damned handy and not very laggy compared to MFR.
I foresee me sticking to Thaumcraft if only for the golems.

I did install blightfall when I saw someone mention it, but it is a little slow on my system.

I saw a vid that direwolf did before with redstone detection of mana pools with an autofeeder using endoflames. Gotta refind that and try it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

OgNar posted:

I saw a vid that direwolf did before with redstone detection of mana pools with an autofeeder using endoflames. Gotta refind that and try it.

The Gourmaryllis (food eating flower) is way more potent than Endoflames. You can use a Hovering Hourglass with a Drum of the Wild to harvest a field of potatoes, a Hopperhock to hoover them up and shove them into a chest, a couple Hoppers to shunt them into furnaces (powered by an Exoflame), then Hoppers to shunt cooked potatoes into Open Crates that drop them for Gourymaryllis to eat and turn into mana.

If you have pipes from any mod you please then it's really easy to scale it up to several furnaces and Gourmaryllises and to really pump a ton of mana out. With no pipes you could probably do some shenanigans with a chest in a minecart but I don't know those mechanics well enough to rattle off a build for it.

For reference, an Endoflame can put out 30 mana per second. A Gourmaryllis fed Baked Potatoes will spit out 1600 mana per baked potato and take 2.5 seconds to process it, so one will put out 640 mana.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Magres posted:

The Gourmaryllis (food eating flower) is way more potent than Endoflames. You can use a Hovering Hourglass with a Drum of the Wild to harvest a field of potatoes, a Hopperhock to hoover them up and shove them into a chest, a couple Hoppers to shunt them into furnaces (powered by an Exoflame), then Hoppers to shunt cooked potatoes into Open Crates that drop them for Gourymaryllis to eat and turn into mana.

If you have pipes from any mod you please then it's really easy to scale it up to several furnaces and Gourmaryllises and to really pump a ton of mana out. With no pipes you could probably do some shenanigans with a chest in a minecart but I don't know those mechanics well enough to rattle off a build for it.

For reference, an Endoflame can put out 30 mana per second. A Gourmaryllis fed Baked Potatoes will spit out 1600 mana per baked potato and take 2.5 seconds to process it, so one will put out 640 mana.

Thats a huge difference, I will have to give it a try. Thanks.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

Thanks, I will ignore the status thing then.
Just killed the Wither, so maybe i will give cursed earth a try for a mob trap in the end.

I am liking Thaumcraft golems. They are just damned handy and not very laggy compared to MFR.
I foresee me sticking to Thaumcraft if only for the golems.

I did install blightfall when I saw someone mention it, but it is a little slow on my system.

Blightfall doesn't come with Fastcraft, I believe. When I first tried it I could barely run it, but it runs fine if you put Fastcraft in.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I'm messing around with the Hermitpack right now, and decided I needed to try out Chisel and Bits in a creative world.

My first creation:

Basalt with some kind of glowing lime green brick for the text.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The kerning isn't great, but I can appreciate the font choice

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blind Duke posted:

The kerning isn't great, but I can appreciate the font choice

______________/
:goonsay:

I dunno, I think it works pretty well.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
pgelinas found and fixed another HQM team crash. I wonder if it's crash-free now in that version.

It's not in the mainline HQM branch yet, but you can grab it from the InfiTech2 modpack.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Any recommendations for the best Pokemon-centric mod pack, that also has decent building and exploration? I know it's a big ask... but it's what I'm looking for :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

yegods posted:

Any recommendations for the best Pokemon-centric mod pack, that also has decent building and exploration? I know it's a big ask... but it's what I'm looking for :)

There's a metric shitload of them on Technic, go nuts.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Taffer posted:

There's a metric shitload of them on Technic, go nuts.

Yeah, that's kind of why I asked :) There's too many to choose from.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

yegods posted:

basic pixelmon is fine, its just a lot of multiplayer servers stop any building.

http://pixelmonmod.com

**Note I am a dev on Pixelmonmod so this is a biased view...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Has anyone tried the Harvest Festival mod? Harvest Moon style approach, claims to revamp farming, adds NPCs and an upgradeable town. I hadn't heard of it before, but it looks like it's got a lot of progress already.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
So I haven't played in over a year and all the top modpacks on Technic are Pokemon things. Are there any super cool and fun modpacks for the discerning consumer? I was looking at tppi since it has Greg tech in it and I like the little nigglybits and defeating them with automation but it doesn't look like it's been updated in over a year. Tia

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You might wanna look at the FTB top list as well and see if there's anything you like. Though if Gregtech is what you're after, a bunch of people in the thread posted some amusing trip reports of GT: New Horizons a while back.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leafy Wall posted:

So I haven't played in over a year and all the top modpacks on Technic are Pokemon things. Are there any super cool and fun modpacks for the discerning consumer? I was looking at tppi since it has Greg tech in it and I like the little nigglybits and defeating them with automation but it doesn't look like it's been updated in over a year. Tia

I think Curse launcher is the bigger modpack platform right now.

FTB - Infinity Evolved is still the go-to kitchen sink modpack that has everything. In the moderately near future, we are probably getting the 1.10 version of FTB:IE, but it's still on 1.7 for now.

Project Ozone 2: Reloaded is a kitchen sink pack with an HQM quest book, and optional skyblock mode since it has Ex Nihilo. Has optional Titan mode that makes the recipes harder and enforces progression more strongly.

FTB: Infinity Evolved Skyblock is a slightly different take on the skyblock mode, I found it a little more difficult than PO2's base mode. Missing some features like veinminer and journey map by default.

Sky Factory 2.5 is a sort of 'easy mode' skyblock, that has its design philosophy as wanting to make it easier to feel overpowered. I had a lot of fun with it as my intro to sky blocking. If you haven't watched someone play or have a guide handy, you'd probably need to ask a lot of questions.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is a good farming setup in 1.10.2? I am trying progressive automation's planter, but it eats up range upgrades and is quite slow for a canola farm. Is there anything like the sprinkler for a fairly cheap growth boost?

I am excluding the EnderIO farming station from consideration here since that is a little more crap to get into than I have for early-game power generation.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is a good farming setup in 1.10.2? I am trying progressive automation's planter, but it eats up range upgrades and is quite slow for a canola farm. Is there anything like the sprinkler for a fairly cheap growth boost?

I am excluding the EnderIO farming station from consideration here since that is a little more crap to get into than I have for early-game power generation.

I know it doesn't help you right now but Agricraft is updating to 1.10 and those sprinklers seem a good option.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AceClown posted:

I know it doesn't help you right now but Agricraft is updating to 1.10 and those sprinklers seem a good option.
Aw yeah, is it really? That's one of those mods I've really grown to miss. Any estimates of when?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Aw yeah, is it really? That's one of those mods I've really grown to miss. Any estimates of when?

From a bit of googling the mod author has given a "no ETA but it'll definitely happen" kind of answer. I'd expect it'll be soon with it being actively worked on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Leafy Wall posted:

InfiTech 2 is a good attempt at GregTech merging a bit with Thaumcraft 4. GT: New Horizons is like a more ridiculous attempt at it, making practically everything more expensive (frequently by just slapping screws into the recipe) along with requiring Twilight Forest progression to advance in TC4.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a pretty rocking tree mod for 1.7.10 whose description I appreciate

Set scope, set features they wanted to accomplish, and clear design aesthetic. They are adamant about not updating since they only play on 1.7.10, and hints they may update to later versions if Thermal Expansion updates.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

That Tree Mod posted:

I'm not suggesting that these are bad ideas or wouldn't be fun but they are indeed outside the scope of what this project is meant to accomplish. Those wishing to implement out of scope features are welcome to do so in a separate mod. Popular mods tend to experience scope creep and featuritis. Ultimately you end up with jet packs, metal ore trees, nyan cats, flaming super death cactus swords, and 15 kinds of creepers. I won't have it.

I appreciate this developer.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
How much longer is Technic gonna be down?

:shrug: Pretty sure it's not up.

Found the announcement on discord.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 28, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sage Grimm posted:

I appreciate this developer.

yeah, it's nice when someone actually has a pretty concise view of what they want

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

You might wanna look at the FTB top list as well and see if there's anything you like. Though if Gregtech is what you're after, a bunch of people in the thread posted some amusing trip reports of GT: New Horizons a while back.

GT:New horizons: play for 60 hours still not got power source.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
GT:New Horizons: Where the gently caress is copper ore?!

GT:New Horizons: Oh god I'm drowning in tin!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well it looks like I still will just fart around in 1.10.2 then. Agricraft will be a nice boon since it could theoretically also let me boost my crop yields over time.

What is there out there beside BoP to make The Nether more interesting? I liked bloodwood trees and nether furnaces from Natura, but it looks like that's a dead deal.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

GT:New Horizons: Where the gently caress is copper ore?!

GT:New Horizons: Oh god I'm drowning in tin!

That's just Gregtech in general.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
I don't know who thought this chance cube crap was even vaguely fun or why there needed to be a life system combined with quest rewards that shove the cubes down your throat. Do they EVER do anything useful or should i just chuck those fuckers into the void?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Either void them or go to the Nether, fly to a fortress you don't care about, and set them off to see what you get.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Leafy Wall posted:

I don't know who thought this chance cube crap was even vaguely fun or why there needed to be a life system combined with quest rewards that shove the cubes down your throat.
I'm sure the reason involves the word "hardcore" and some variation on the phrase "get good".

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, as my one post of this:

I decided to do another thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795898

Honestly at this point, people know what to expect from me, don't they? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Leafy Wall posted:

I don't know who thought this chance cube crap was even vaguely fun or why there needed to be a life system combined with quest rewards that shove the cubes down your throat. Do they EVER do anything useful or should i just chuck those fuckers into the void?

You sort of need to rig them.

If you have 2 or 3 of the change increase tailsmans on you when you open them you often get good stuff (Disclaimer- good stuff means high EMC value stuff you would never use except for putting into a table)

In a sky block, there is the chance of ores (with some).