Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

Real talk: they need to fix the difficulty levels in this game. It's insane how instantly unbeatable the AI becomes as soon as you go above "above average"

I'm at the level right below the top most difficulty and it seems relatively easy still. The AI is really not nearly as interesting as the last Forza I played which was 3 I think. I thought drivatars were supposed to bring some character to the AI, but I'm always racing against cars with no liveries or anything

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Atmus posted:

25 laps of Goliath got me like 85 levels, 93 skill points, and around 4m credits. It also gave me kind of a hatred for Goliath.

How long did this take you? I still haven't unlocked Goliath yet.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

geeves posted:

How long did this take you? I still haven't unlocked Goliath yet.

The race timer said something like 4.5 hours, but I spent all day doing it, real life getting in the way a lot.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Apparently not enough...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm at the level right below the top most difficulty and it seems relatively easy still. The AI is really not nearly as interesting as the last Forza I played which was 3 I think. I thought drivatars were supposed to bring some character to the AI, but I'm always racing against cars with no liveries or anything

They do have liveries. Join GRRC and you should see a ton of them because it is what most ppl seem to use. I think drivatars take whatever your favorites are in each given class that the active player is using and randomly assigns them. If they don't have a car in that class it is usually something really generic.

And yeah, the AI is god awful but what can you expect from an open world game. Just go online and the races against other players are pretty great.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thief posted:

They do have liveries. Join GRRC and you should see a ton of them because it is what most ppl seem to use. I think drivatars take whatever your favorites are in each given class that the active player is using and randomly assigns them. If they don't have a car in that class it is usually something really generic.

And yeah, the AI is god awful but what can you expect from an open world game. Just go online and the races against other players are pretty great.

I am in GRRC, maybe I've just been racing in car themes that people don't have favorites in. I think the one I've been racing a lot lately is retro hot hatch

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Guys, it's my weekend. If you're online and not just looking to drift, hit me up. Let's Co-Op. I want to race sprints and circuits and scrambles O my.

My garage is growing.

P.S. - I really want to tell the story of how I happily hired Fedex Kinkos to my drivatar lineup. I wish I had my Kinect hooked up so I could have shouted, "XBox, record that!" But no dice.

I got the notice to hit the Surfer's Paradise area and challenge FK to a race. As you know, that's where the tram tracks are. So I fast-traveled to the festival and jumped in my Jaaaaag and went hunting.
I come up at relatively low speed behind FK but for whatever reason his drivatar throws out the anchor. It was raining, so I locked up my brakes and rear-ended the poor guy. That was a shame. Especially because it put him right on the tram tracks. It was just like the scene from Mean Girls or Vacation or Family Guy where the car is there one second and WHAM it's T-boned by a speeding train. I laughed my rear end off and felt guilty at the same time. I felt more guilty about firing a driver to hire FK after, though. God I wish I had video of it. You have to see it to appreciate it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 23, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

I wish I had my Kinect hooked up so I could have shouted, "XBox, record that!" But no dice.

Just double tap the Xbox button and then at the top of the screen it tells you which button to press to do the same thing as saying "Xbox record that". It's X I think, and Y takes a screenshot.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks.

But... the moment is lost... like tears... in rain...

Wait, I meant: Like Howdy tears... in rain...

That's better (worse).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The thing with the AI is it is super uneven. You can put the difficulty all the way down to new racer and there will still be 1 car that hangs right with you, but you can crank it to the highest level on some tracks (mostly paved ones) and just leave everyone behind. The AI does not seem as affected by terrain as the player, especially when it comes to water. I've had AI drivers blow past me in rivers as if they were totally unaffected by the water despite being in the same exact car as me.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I made this hideous paintjob that seems to be doing well on my storefront:

But more importantly I got the A+++ legit best car in the goddamn game:

As a Clio driver I am inordinately happy that this in the game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Songbearer posted:

I made this hideous paintjob that seems to be doing well on my storefront:

That car looks slick as hell, actually, very nice. Do you just get generic bonuses from people liking your designs now that they are free and not the way they worked in the older Forza games where you could make people buy your poo poo?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, you get a credit bonus based on how many people like, download and use your designs. You get 100 cred per download and 500 per Like, so you can still earn a decent amount if people are into your stuff.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cubey posted:

The thing with the AI is it is super uneven. You can put the difficulty all the way down to new racer and there will still be 1 car that hangs right with you, but you can crank it to the highest level on some tracks (mostly paved ones) and just leave everyone behind. The AI does not seem as affected by terrain as the player, especially when it comes to water. I've had AI drivers blow past me in rivers as if they were totally unaffected by the water despite being in the same exact car as me.

I noticed the water thing for sure. That poo poo sucks. I hit water and slow wayyyyy the gently caress down and the AI just powers through. Have the devs acknowledged any of that stuff?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

How do you even like designs/designers? I've looked for the option a few times and can't find it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

They hide it so far in the side menus that even getting a single like is an honor.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
You get prompted to like a tune/design after using it several times but most people probably don't pay attention.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I noticed the water thing for sure. That poo poo sucks. I hit water and slow wayyyyy the gently caress down and the AI just powers through. Have the devs acknowledged any of that stuff?

Forza devs never acknowledge problems, ever. I mean hell anyone ever notice that oval office windswept dragon isn't a mod is the last comment in every closed thread? Their pr philosophy is to never. ever. acknowledge any problems so they use a surrogate to berate customers before a mod closes the thread. They absolutely do not acknowledge troubleshooting threads and usually close them without reply.

Last year I caught their community manager bitching to an airline on twitter for not answering his email and saying it was horrible customer support. The community manager doesn't ever post on the forums or answer the multitude of complaints on twitter, hell he doesn't even hand it off. I have no idea what the gently caress he even does. Anyways i posted his tweet on the forums in the most popular thread, the one asking for custom races (in a loving racing game and it didnt occur to these dunces), that was the only time i have seen a dev respond.

In short if there is something you dont like it may get fixed in 4, but probably not unless a reviewer specifically called them out on it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

How do you even like designs/designers? I've looked for the option a few times and can't find it.

Thief posted:

They hide it so far in the side menus that even getting a single like is an honor.
When you start adding vinyls to a car, go to each and every one you've downloaded off the storefront and click on in. That is where the "Like" option is for vinyls.

I've sold tons of mine but I've had 0 likes.

I make a point of going through all my new downloads each week and "liking" them. I've even asked in this thread for peeps to throw me some likes if they use any f my stuff, to no avail. Thief is right. When you get a like, it really is an honor because the person who did it had to go out of their way (and interrupt their own design work) to grant it to you.

That's my Forza gripe for today.

Friends, please "like" people's stuff. Pay it forward and spread the word.

Also, please play Campaign Co-op with me today!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
BTW it's Sunday afternoon and the Club Ladder could reset at any time, so here's the top of the GRRC Ladder for Week Four as of 16:15 EDT:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Songbearer posted:

Yeah, you get a credit bonus based on how many people like, download and use your designs. You get 100 cred per download and 500 per Like, so you can still earn a decent amount if people are into your stuff.

This is one of the nicer changes to the store front, but I think they should maybe boost the amount you get from selling stuff. But not having 20k special snowflake designs/tunes anymore is great.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Here's a short replay of an uneventful but pretty street race in the BRZ HE.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar1OFAccD9lzgjBzo27As2MNL6O2

E: Ugh... just realized I forgot to trim the end. Sorry. It's still quite pretty.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 23, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did the Aegera really get put into Upgrade Heroes because you can mount a ski rack on it? That's almost as funny as all the people I've seen pay well over retail for it in the auction house.

My biggest gripe about the AI is during championship races your pole position always stays completely poo poo no matter how well you're placing and the order will always be fixed in favour of which cars have the best chance of keeping your score as low as possible. If I remember right even the first WipEout only did the latter and that game came out when developers were still in a quarter-munching mindset. If the AI cars actually competed with each other instead of the back half of the pack basically forming hurdles between you and the leader I wouldn't mind most of their other behaviours.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 23, 2016

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Just got a skill score of just over 2mil but I only got 3 skill points. What the gently caress is that poo poo?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's been discussed previously. You can only gain three points per chain. You should bank your chain at a certain point, but I can't remember exactly where. It's somewhere at or over 100k.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can you own duplicates of a given car? I've been trying to buy up cheap HE cars from this round to resell them at a profit when they get rotated out. It's probably more efficient to just lap Goliath in my Ford GT HE but playing the markets is honestly more fun.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Real talk: they need to fix the difficulty levels in this game. It's insane how instantly unbeatable the AI becomes as soon as you go above "above average"

This has been a problem since Forza 3, IMO.

One difficulty isn't difficult enough so you blast past the AI and it's boring. Turn it up one notch, and they blow past you instead.

In a Urus.

gently caress the Urus.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Can you own duplicates of a given car?

Yes and a proper nerd would have multiple of their favorite.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
I opened the final Festival expansion and now... am not really sure what to do in the game. Sure I haven't finished the Bucket List or the street races but the skill point and drifting challenges frustrate me and the street races don't really feel any different from the rest of the game.
I did my first lap of Goliath and it wasn't bad (netted me two regular cars I don't care about and an HE car) but I've got about 2 million credits on hand so cars like the Alfa Romeo Stradale are still far beyond my reach. Convoys don't actually seem that cool and the rest of the collectibles on the map are meh. I'm really concerned about this game having much staying power once you've done most of it.

Anyone wanna play online together and prove me wrong? I'd be more than happy to help in co-op campaign or try out free-roam or something else. GT is the same as my username.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone. Just trying to keep the standings up to the minute.

The Club Ladder has not been reset for Week Five yet, and there has been some movement in the top ten (although only nine are visible at a time.)
So here are the latest and hopefully final results for the GRRC Club Ladder for Week Four of wide release.

And here are our current standings among all car clubs:

Results as of about 19:08 EDT. Congrats, ya poopsockers!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tighran posted:

I opened the final Festival expansion and now... am not really sure what to do in the game. Sure I haven't finished the Bucket List or the street races but the skill point and drifting challenges frustrate me and the street races don't really feel any different from the rest of the game.
I did my first lap of Goliath and it wasn't bad (netted me two regular cars I don't care about and an HE car) but I've got about 2 million credits on hand so cars like the Alfa Romeo Stradale are still far beyond my reach. Convoys don't actually seem that cool and the rest of the collectibles on the map are meh. I'm really concerned about this game having much staying power once you've done most of it.

Anyone wanna play online together and prove me wrong? I'd be more than happy to help in co-op campaign or try out free-roam or something else. GT is the same as my username.

Hey Tiger, I'm ready when you are!

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hey Tiger, I'm ready when you are!

Do I have you friended?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's been discussed previously. You can only gain three points per chain. You should bank your chain at a certain point, but I can't remember exactly where. It's somewhere at or over 100k.

300k points. More accurately, each level (at the point where this matters) is 100k, and you are hard limited at 3. I was being cute the other day and banked a skill chain with 299,982 points, and it's pretty definitively 300k.

Shumagorath posted:

Can you own duplicates of a given car? I've been trying to buy up cheap HE cars from this round to resell them at a profit when they get rotated out. It's probably more efficient to just lap Goliath in my Ford GT HE but playing the markets is honestly more fun.
Yes you can, and you can also win HE cars you already have one of. I got like 4 Focus RS HE's off of that stupid Goliath marathon I did. A few of the lambo too.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Is there some way to get voice chat working cross-platform? I was able to join a party and a game with Howdy, and I could hear him perfectly from his Xbone but he could not hear me from my PC. I restarted and verified that my mic was set up but he still couldn't hear and my mic didn't show up next to my name in-game. I poked around in the Xbox app but it seems largely devoid of settings and options...

Tighran fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tighran posted:

Is there some way to get voice chat working cross-platform? I was able to join a party and a game with Howdy, and I could hear him perfectly from his Xbone but he could not hear me from my PC. I restarted and verified that my mic was set up but he still couldn't hear and my mic didn't show up next to my name in-game. I poked around in the Xbox app but it seems largely devoid of settings and options...
GutBomb uses PC sometimes (always?) and for some reason I can hear him. I've never heard Dizz and so far I couldn't hear T1g4h, either. I'm just not getting my Co-op fix.

Any PC guys know of a reliable fix?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Dr. Faustus posted:

GutBomb uses PC sometimes (always?) and for some reason I can hear him. I've never heard Dizz and so far I couldn't hear T1g4h, either. I'm just not getting my Co-op fix.

Any PC guys know of a reliable fix?

Make sure your nat is set to open. Theirs would probably need to be too. In theory only one of you should have to have it open, but in my experience with xbox if everyone isn't set to open its hit or miss whether or not it will work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've had chat not work cross platform once but I rebooted and it fixed it. Every other time out worked. I started the party every time, the time it didn't work and the times it did.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Is there anything I can do about drivatars that are ridiculously super fast? I've turned down the difficulty settings twice and there is one drivatar that is just pulling away from the pack and I can't even remotely catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Lyer posted:

Is there anything I can do about drivatars that are ridiculously super fast? I've turned down the difficulty settings twice and there is one drivatar that is just pulling away from the pack and I can't even remotely catch up.

Sort of, but indirectly. It seems you have to gently caress with the way your car is tuned to do so, such as lowering it's tops speed through gearing. This isn't always possible, and it doesn't always work anyway. It seems that the Superman Car gets pegged to whatever your vehicle's theoretical best performance is with a difficulty based penalty or bonus. That and the fact that the enemy cars don't have to deal with the same set of physics that you do might be enabling it to reach near your car's top speed despite the track not actually allowing you to do so.

• Locked thread