Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Surely there's an early day patch coming in for it? I can see why a closed group of testers wouldn't think to tooltip some stuff but firaxis must have seen the reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried looking up how to do this in the Civilopedia, it doesn't actually explain it in the Conservation civic or the unit description for the Naturalist, and it's not in the tile or improvement sections. It has its own line in the "game concepts" page.

Basically you need to have a 4-tile diamond composed of mountains/natural wonders/unimproved tiles with a base appeal of 2. If you have a naturalist and select it, any potential park sites should be glowing white. All four tiles have to be controlled by the same city, too -- I was stumped as to why a certain site wasn't available and that was because one of the mountain tiles was "owned" by a different city

Probably wasn't showing up because I had every inch of space developed. I guess i could replant forests.

Man the AI in this is super aggressive. Barbarians are always appearing, and your neighbours will attack you at the drop of a hat. Then they'll denounce you for being a warmonger for centuries.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Powercrazy posted:

They have improved 1upt a bit, but ultimately it's still a chore with zero benefits to game quality. Managing unit carpets isn't fun.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer it to death stacks. It makes me actually have to care about placement and how I move my armies around and makes the lay of the land important as opposed to just moving my death stack into the optimum tile.

Late game it makes a bit more sense to have stacks because by that point everything is moving mostly along roads, so I don't mind that they included it as a late game feature.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Honestly it feels like barbarians spawn too frequently from camps. Half the time in my game so far, camps appear and when I walk to them two turns later, oh, look they already spawned a third unit.

I would also like notifications for when camps spawn, they're always visible through fog of war but searching for them every goddamn turn is such a loving chore.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Surely there's an early day patch coming in for it? I can see why a closed group of testers wouldn't think to tooltip some stuff but firaxis must have seen the reaction.

well yeah probably but in the meantime i'm gonna bitch about small petty things because i am small and petty

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've founded a religion, got a temple and lots of faith...and can't build anything with faith. What simple thing am I missing here?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Do you have a Holy Site in the city you're trying to buy religious units from?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

It's a real bummer finding out that the only people on my continent are Me, Brazil, and city state Carthage. Brazil has exclusive access to a land bridge that might connect them to a larger landmass but I haven't seen it yet. I'm Russia and the amount of great people I'm generating with my Lavras is insane, so Brazil is surely going to hate me. Luckily they took an open borders treaty that I declined to renew, so 1/3 of their units are trapped across the length of my empire.

Turns out it isn't a land bridge but they pose no threat to me at all with those perfect isthmuses between us. They have so many goddamn units packed around Rio that I have no way to get a missionary/apostle to it.

It's also lame how little the AI ends up settling. Apart from stealing every spot I want to settle they seem to give up after their first push.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer it to death stacks. It makes me actually have to care about placement and how I move my armies around and makes the lay of the land important as opposed to just moving my death stack into the optimum tile.

Late game it makes a bit more sense to have stacks because by that point everything is moving mostly along roads, so I don't mind that they included it as a late game feature.

Stacks have apparently wounded civ players to the point that 2 major releases later, they don't care if the combat is unmitigated garbage not even worth doing, just keep those stacks GONE. Er, unless they spice up the late game or something yaknow, maybe then bring them back. But STACKS = BAD.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

It's also lame how little the AI ends up settling. Apart from stealing every spot I want to settle they seem to give up after their first push.

that might be based off of a civ's AI, i've had norway and germany as neighbors and they've been steadily plopping down new cities all game long

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Powercrazy posted:

They have improved 1upt a bit, but ultimately it's still a chore with zero benefits to game quality. Managing unit carpets isn't fun.

Stacks sucked too. The real problem is that Firaxis still haven't figured out a reasonable way to make unit spam less viable, so you end up with too much time spent on boring army micromanagement. I feel like we really need a fundamental change in how Civilization deals with military units, but I have no idea what that looks like. Armies and corps feel really close, but not quite there.

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah, this almost seems like a bug in the AI behavior or something. I was playing a game where I assumed that I had pushed Japan up against the far side of my continent since their score kind of just stalled out once I blocked them in. Turns out there was easily enough room for four or five more cities on the opposite side of their territory, but the AI just never bothered to do anything about it for the entire game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comstar posted:

I've founded a religion, got a temple and lots of faith...and can't build anything with faith. What simple thing am I missing here?

I can build walls and a few other bits with faith but for some reason my girlfriend can't. It doesn't seem to be based on a civic or anything. We both have religions and her faith output is a shitload more than mine too. I don't get it.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Avid Civ V player here getting totally lost in the quagmire that is early-release Civ VI. Could anyone give me some tips to get started with? I'm having a hard time adjusting to things like districts and knowing what to build, when. So far all I've managed to comprehend is that you need a military far ealier in this game than in V...and that it's totally possible to be producing more than 100/turn in every resource around Turn 150, I just suck.

Any pointers? :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, my biggest problem with the game so far is the UI being really bad at surfacing information. With luck, though, that's the kind of thing that will either get corrected by the devs if they are paying attention to the forums, or I will read enough forum posts to just see all the underlying poo poo myself

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Paradoxish posted:

Stacks sucked too. The real problem is that Firaxis still haven't figured out a reasonable way to make unit spam less viable, so you end up with too much time spent on boring army micromanagement. I feel like we really need a fundamental change in how Civilization deals with military units, but I have no idea what that looks like. Armies and corps feel really close, but not quite there.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the game overall but I liked how Endless Legend handled things: essentially you have small 3 unit stacks that can grow larger and when combat happens you can automate it or fight it out and if you fight it out each unit splits off the stack and a little mini battle occurs using a chuck of the map that the battle is taking place in. It allows for static defenses and requires you to play around the landscape but doesn't require you to move each unit when you're marching across the map to punch someone in the face.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Avid Civ V player here getting totally lost in the quagmire that is early-release Civ VI. Could anyone give me some tips to get started with? I'm having a hard time adjusting to things like districts and knowing what to build, when. So far all I've managed to comprehend is that you need a military far ealier in this game than in V...and that it's totally possible to be producing more than 100/turn in every resource around Turn 150, I just suck.

Any pointers? :smith:

I had a much easier time getting into districts when I played as Germany because the production is so naturally slow that if you gently caress up the placement of the industrial zone you're hosed. Germany's industrial zone gets bonuses from any resources it's next to so you can drop it next to your wheat farms and it will happily pump out a bunch of resources for you. Much easier than having to hunt for the optimum location based on nearby hills.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 23, 2016

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Has anyone else had the glitch where the audio of the opening movie persists afterwards? As in, will not stop looping during the starting menu, or the actual game, or even when I freaking quit and exit to dekstop but still have Steam open?

How do I get rid of that?

edit: It just started up *again* and I exited Steam right before posting this.

Nvm I'm an idiot

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 23, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So far what's worked for me has been:

-holy poo poo make units. make units and defend your borders and keep vision up ouside of them to prevent the insane barbarian spawn rate from ruining your empire.

-pay attention to the district adjacency bonuses. read a chart that shows you what gives bonuses to them. all resource tiles give extra to industry zones, and they get +2 extra for being next to a commercial zone, for example.

-civics are super nice, maybe pick up god of the open sky for your pantheon. i took all districts produce +1 gpp, it kinda sucks now that they produce like 7+ per turn without the bonus, but having +1 culture on pastures would increase my 100 culture/turn by an entire goddamn 25%. talk about crappy long-term returns.

-use the civilopedia constantly to check the passive bonuses you'll get from researching a tech or civic. it absolutely doesn't include gamechangers like "btw unlocking this civic lets you actually get upgrades for your loving units"

and lastly, never pass on great people because if you do, you get locked out of getting another one until another civ buys the one you passed on, and if they're producing 1gpp per turn, well...

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 23, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Played a few hours and tbh I think I'm gonna just play modded civ v Bnw until like 2018 when civ vi finally has all its patches and final expansions and it all costs twenty bucks together on steam

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Taear posted:

I can build walls and a few other bits with faith but for some reason my girlfriend can't. It doesn't seem to be based on a civic or anything. We both have religions and her faith output is a shitload more than mine too. I don't get it.

Buying city center improvements with faith is the unique suzerain ability of Valetta. It allows you to build monuments, granaries, and some other stuff and makes buying walls with faith half-price. I think it's just another piece of Civ 6 not explaining things to the player; every city-state has a unique ability but you really have to dig into it to a) realize that's the case and b) figure out which city-states near you have the best abilities to maximize your envoys.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I would also like notifications for when camps spawn, they're always visible through fog of war but searching for them every goddamn turn is such a loving chore.

usually the first notification i get that a new camp has spawned is that my campus is on fire

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Another big thing is to be attentive to switching your policies when you pop a new civic and you can do so for free. If you're walling up your cities and/or building up your army, having the bonus policies for that is extremely effective.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Mayor Dave posted:

Buying city center improvements with faith is the unique suzerain ability of Valetta. It allows you to build monuments, granaries, and some other stuff and makes buying walls with faith half-price. I think it's just another piece of Civ 6 not explaining things to the player; every city-state has a unique ability but you really have to dig into it to a) realize that's the case and b) figure out which city-states near you have the best abilities to maximize your envoys.

So it's literally Civ V again, but with even more cryptic stuff hidden behind tooltips and the Civilopedia.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So it's literally Civ V again,

nah

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

I am Valetta's suzerain. I do look at those bonuses but often it's a while later and I forget them. Thanks!

The game just needs someone to go through and make information more readily available. I shouldn't have to go to the civilopedia to see what the wonder I just built does - since I started it 50 turns ago and now I can't remember.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taear posted:

I am Valetta's suzerain. I do look at those bonuses but often it's a while later and I forget them. Thanks!

The game just needs someone to go through and make information more readily available. I shouldn't have to go to the civilopedia to see what the wonder I just built does - since I started it 50 turns ago and now I can't remember.

iirc when the little quote pops up you can mouse over the icon of the wonder in the bottom left to get a tooltip of what it does(same for when you find a natural wonder)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game I'm currently playing has just had everyone hating me from word go. I'm not even trying for a conquest victory and I've eliminated two players because an offensive war was by far the cheapest way to secure the border.

I'm playing Gorgo though so I've probably accumulated like 1k free culture over the course of the game

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate how Barbarians spam scouts and horsemen so much, especially early on. Why is there even Barbarian scouts? Also, when your units are on auto explore, they stop when they see an barbarian unit. What an annoying mechanic. Scouts are disposable, I don't care if they die half way across the world because they ran into a hoard.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

The White Dragon posted:

-pay attention to the district adjacency bonuses. read a chart that shows you what gives bonuses to them. all resource tiles give extra to industry zones, and they get +2 extra for being next to a commercial zone, for example.

This is good advice, but those industry bonuses only apply to Germany's unique industrial district. Normally the industrial district is enhanced by mines and quarries, and they get +1 for two adjacent districts not the +2 from just the commercial district like Germany.

After two games, I'd say try and forget about Civ V's focus on food and science. Focus on production. Try to place industrial districts to be within as many city centers six tiles away as you can, because of the regional bonus from factories. It makes a HUGE difference.

I definitely agree that the UI and civilopedia need some help. My first game was a culture game and I was lost trying to make a national park, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't build seaside resorts even though the tile's appeal was sufficient. The requirements for these need more explicitly explained somewhere.

twistedmentat posted:

I hate how Barbarians spam scouts and horsemen so much, especially early on. Why is there even Barbarian scouts? Also, when your units are on auto explore, they stop when they see an barbarian unit. What an annoying mechanic. Scouts are disposable, I don't care if they die half way across the world because they ran into a hoard.

If the scouts reach your borders and then make it back to their camp, they will spam a barbarian horde. If you're having trouble with barbarians, it's because you're not killing those scouts. That needs to be a priority if you don't want to be overrun.

Also, I don't feel like scouts are as disposable this time. They don't start with any movement bonuses aside from having three movement points. If you get a level two scout who can rush through rainforest/forest and hills, you don't want to lose him. Well, at least I don't.

Hef Deezy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hansa proliferation as Barbarossa is enough to shatter the game over your knee. I also found that careful attention paid to my trade routes helps quite a bit: building interconnectivity in your empire is worth a lot more in the end than just sending multiple traders to the most lucrative city.

On Day 3 and paying attention to where you place your districts and why you're doing it has really softened the productivity issues. And being absolutely sure that you need this district helps cut down on the cost ramping. It's okay to have a city that has only one well-placed district, a pile of improvements, and constant focus on Projects, not all cities need multiple districts but every city should have at least one.

PaybackJack posted:

I feel the same way.

Rakthar posted:

Stacks have apparently wounded civ players to the point that 2 major releases later, they don't care if the combat is unmitigated garbage not even worth doing, just keep those stacks GONE. Er, unless they spice up the late game or something yaknow, maybe then bring them back. But STACKS = BAD.

:rolleyes:

Yeah smashing two giant towers of numbers together with no regard for tactics was fun and interactive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

iirc when the little quote pops up you can mouse over the icon of the wonder in the bottom left to get a tooltip of what it does(same for when you find a natural wonder)

I'm not sure you get quotes with wonders in multiplayer, at least. I've seen the ones for natural wonders of course, but that's it.
You just get lots of music.

On the civ fanatics forum someone posted a size comparison of the maps in 6 compared to 5. Huge and Large are significantly smaller. I wonder why that is? From my perspective the performance of the game is really bad and I have to play on the lowest settings or every turn takes forever but that doesn't seem to change depending on the map size, so I wouldn't blame it on that.
Huge feels sort of small to me. Then again the game is focused on bonuses covering a few cities so I can see why. So far I've not had any cities close enough to one another to use the industrial centre bonus and I don't really want to, it feels WAY too near.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

barbarian scouts have this mechanic where once they see your territory they'll run back to their camp and if they make it there they spawn some barb units that will go for you

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PaybackJack posted:

The conceit is that you don't actually have to care. You think you do, but the AI isn't going to flank your line. However what you do have to do is move each individual unit across your empire, and hope they don't get interrupted because then you have to tell them where to go, again. They really should just let units stack but not allow them to attack out of the stack, while taking combat penalties if stacked up. Logistics are not a feature.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

twistedmentat posted:

I'm going to have to turn off Religious Victory because I'm sick of the AI spamming tons of missionaries everywhere.

And how do I build a national park? It says it needs to be built on the appropriate site, but nothing has an icon or anything on the map.

Japan is really going for the religious victory thing. Assisted by my long time enemy the Aztecs. At this point I just let them convert a city with a bunch of apostles, send over and inquisitor who clears out 100% of their followers, then let them come back.

Incidentally, I really wish that at some point Civilization would stop punishing you for taking cities from enemies who declare war on you. My supposed ally Norway declares war on me, I beat off his attack, and in return I take one of his cities, with an Egregious warmonger penalty. I should be allowed to punish someone who declares a surprise war on me by taking their poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

barbarian scouts have this mechanic where once they see your territory they'll run back to their camp and if they make it there they spawn some barb units that will go for you

This would be really cool and a good mechanic if Scouts weren't fast as gently caress and impossible to catch until cavalry, when it isn't really a problem any more.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Brother Entropy posted:

that might be based off of a civ's AI, i've had norway and germany as neighbors and they've been steadily plopping down new cities all game long

I've seen Rome settle a ton of cities too

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

I hate how Barbarians spam scouts and horsemen so much, especially early on. Why is there even Barbarian scouts?

It's effectively so the player has forewarning that they're going to be invaded by a horde. If a scout sees your city and then returns to the barbarian camp then several turns later he's going to come back with a raiding band.

Without scouts, then you'd just get the occasional raiding band with no real way to intervene ahead of time.

Taear posted:

This would be really cool and a good mechanic if Scouts weren't fast as gently caress and impossible to catch until cavalry, when it isn't really a problem any more.

Archer garrisons, imo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this almost seems like a bug in the AI behavior or something. I was playing a game where I assumed that I had pushed Japan up against the far side of my continent since their score kind of just stalled out once I blocked them in. Turns out there was easily enough room for four or five more cities on the opposite side of their territory, but the AI just never bothered to do anything about it for the entire game.

The most important aspect of stacks is that you select your army and tell them to go somewhere then they end up there in X turns. It's a nice QoL thing. It's also nice that you could have your standing army sit in a border town somewhere and you can still see what's going on and what the terrain is etc.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Holy gently caress I just looked at theming bonuses and evidently I wasn't paying attention earlier because now artists pop different types of works of art and in order to get the theming bonus you have to not only get the artists but pop the right artists in the right order. That's fiddly as hell.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taear posted:

i was gonna agree w/this at first but after reading brannock's post i realized you probably miss out on some early unit xp if you do kill the scout so yeah just accept the inevitability of the raid and see the scout as a warning to have some defenders ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Brother Entropy posted:

ok but which tile is the wonder and which one is my factory district

Brother Entropy posted:

wow this would almost make sense if barbs didn't spawn one tile outside your fog of war and have their scouts spawn in a place where they auto-spot you and then "report home" without moving a single space

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 23, 2016