Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

don't tell me that, i was moved and you ruined it

The war was won by big efforts even by small players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ensign Expendable posted:

R 35

Queue: R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Combat Car M1 NEW

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda NEW

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C

I'd love to hear about the Type 95. Not much out there about Japanese tanks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

R 35

Queue: R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3

Thank you!

quote:

Is this for the soviet Zis gun, or the 76mm CS Matilda?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Thank you!

Is this for the soviet Zis gun, or the 76mm CS Matilda?

Soviet ZiS-5/F-96.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will fight anyone who thinks that a setting where the prince of wales is resurrected by dark American sorcery and used to fight the battle of midway is not the best setting.

E: I don't care which prince of wales you interpret that to mean.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's an insult to American shipbuilding is what it is :colbert:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

OwlFancier posted:

I will fight anyone who thinks that a setting where the prince of wales is resurrected by dark American sorcery and used to fight the battle of midway is not the best setting.

E: I don't care which prince of wales you interpret that to mean.

This is my new headcanon for how the war actually went and nobody will convince me otherwise.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

e: This certainly isn't the football gameday thread.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

RC and Moon Pie posted:

e: This certainly isn't the football gameday thread.

Go Cubs!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Deteriorata posted:

In Ohio, they dropped the bullshit and just spelled it "Wooster".

Except then you've got to be all "no, it's not a long O"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, I learned it the hard way that historical video games are not.

Except for maybe grognardy strategy games made by obscure studios and sold for $waytoomany.

Getting interested in history through video games is embarking on a path of constant disappointment in games.

Also, I had fun with Red Orchestra and Day of Infamy. Maybe not that much fun with bolt action rifles (I fire, I miss because I'm an idiot, I don't get to fire twice), but I had fun. Especially when you get to be playing battlefield buddies with the officer and RTO in Infamy.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

OwlFancier posted:

Battlefield one is a bit weird because all the footage I've seen is people running around with machineguns, semi automatic rifles, and interwar light tanks.

Which, uh, considering battlefield 1942 was mostly people running around with bolt actions with some BARs thrown in, seems a bit weird?

It seems less historical and more history-proximal-information-product.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

JcDent posted:

Yeah, I learned it the hard way that historical video games are not.

Except for maybe grognardy strategy games made by obscure studios and sold for $waytoomany.

Getting interested in history through video games is embarking on a path of constant disappointment in games.

Also, I had fun with Red Orchestra and Day of Infamy. Maybe not that much fun with bolt action rifles (I fire, I miss because I'm an idiot, I don't get to fire twice), but I had fun. Especially when you get to be playing battlefield buddies with the officer and RTO in Infamy.

Day of Infamy is pretty much fun but gently caress that one weird developer obsessed with putting way too many automatic weapons in WW2 squad FPS games. You know who you are, gently caress off please thanks!

RO2 has the best tank interiors. Uh. That is it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I learned everything I know about history from Paradox games. Remember when Ulm conquered the planet thousands of times?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've heard it said that one of the reasons why (American) aircraft carriers are so useful for relief operations is their ability to generate hundreds of thousands of gallons of fresh water per day.

1. Does this have anything to do with the ship being specifically an aircraft carrier?
2. Does this have anything to do with the ship being specifically nuclear-powered?
3. How is this done?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've heard it said that one of the reasons why (American) aircraft carriers are so useful for relief operations is their ability to generate hundreds of thousands of gallons of fresh water per day.

1. Does this have anything to do with the ship being specifically an aircraft carrier?
2. Does this have anything to do with the ship being specifically nuclear-powered?
3. How is this done?

I think these questions are best answered in reverse order. The desalination aboard aircraft carriers (and other large naval vessels, and in modern desalination plants) is through a process called reverse osmosis (the TL;DR is that by forcing water through hundreds or even thousands of extremely fine membrane at high pressures the impurities get basically strained out). This takes an INCREDIBLE amount of energy (it's not uncommon for land-based plants to consume a large fraction of the output of their local power station), especially if you want to make the setup compact enough to fit in the belly of an aircraft carrier, so while the nuclear power isn't specifically a requirement to desalinize water this way it sure helps a lot. Finally, as to #1, even compact versions of reverse osmosis rigs still need to be the size of small buildings (I think the smallest practical ones I've heard of are cargo container sized and can produce 1500-2000 gallons per day) if you want an output usable on large scales, so sticking it somewhere in a carrier that's already huge doesn't change much. Plus, a carrier is probably the best protected ship in the fleet, has the largest crew, and needs a source of coolant water for its reactors, all factors that make it so you want to put your big reverse osmosis rig in the carrier. Basically, it's not that all the big water filtration gear NEEDS to go in a carrier (apart from a small one to keep the crew hydrated and reactor cool, which iirc most ships do have), it's just more practical to stick it in what's already a huge ship that happens to have borderline infinite energy anyways.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

The desalination aboard aircraft carriers (and other large naval vessels, and in modern desalination plants) is through a process called reverse osmosis (the TL;DR is that by forcing water through hundreds or even thousands of extremely fine membrane at high pressures the impurities get basically strained out).

We had a still on my boat that heated up seawater and collected the condensate (since salt doesn't precipitate with the steam) but I don't know how they do it on carriers, distillation or reverse osmosis.

Fresh water is also used for steam catapults, turbines, hotel loads like showering, cooking, and drinking, and also deionized for use in equipment cooling. If you don't need those, you can probably generate quite a bit of surplus water.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder what kind of output you could get out of a container ship sized nuclear-powered dedicated mobile desalination rig. Bonus points if the captain's title is Immortan.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Is a carrier really the ideal ship for HA? I'm not a navy guy but I would imagine an LHD has more advantages: in addition to air lift (and the ospreys or 53s are gonna be able to carry more than 60s), you've got surface connectors, and a combat logistics battalion trained for HA and equipped with engineering assets. Being able to generate fresh water at sea is nice but you've got to move it ashore. When I was on an lhd and we did an exercise in a remote area, it was seen as easier to have engineers ashore make fresh water than to move it from ship to shore. Neither was truly ideal though. Also the ship was not allowed to make water while we were within territorial waters but i guess that wouldn't be an issue in an emergency situation.

Ospreys did recently go onto a carrier to help support relief efforts in response to hurricane Matthew though

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
R 35 in German service

Queue: Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3, Type 95

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Combat Car M1 NEW

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Even the Romanians stopped using their R-35s after September 1941. They were just too much trouble compared to the R-2(A licensed czech LT-35).

They did convert some to tank destroyers by putting a Russian 45mm in the turret but they never saw use, except possibly when the Romanians switched sides.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

Is a carrier really the ideal ship for HA? I'm not a navy guy but I would imagine an LHD has more advantages: in addition to air lift (and the ospreys or 53s are gonna be able to carry more than 60s), you've got surface connectors, and a combat logistics battalion trained for HA and equipped with engineering assets. Being able to generate fresh water at sea is nice but you've got to move it ashore. When I was on an lhd and we did an exercise in a remote area, it was seen as easier to have engineers ashore make fresh water than to move it from ship to shore. Neither was truly ideal though. Also the ship was not allowed to make water while we were within territorial waters but i guess that wouldn't be an issue in an emergency situation.

Ospreys did recently go onto a carrier to help support relief efforts in response to hurricane Matthew though

LHD is the weirdest euphemism for "amphibious assault ship"

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

OwlFancier posted:

Landing Helicopter Dock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I know what it means it's just a weird phrase for it. The fact that it can carry helicopters doesn't seem to be the most significant feature of the craft, most ships have a helipad on them afaik, the full flight deck or well deck would seem more pertinent.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I know what it means it's just a weird phrase for it. The fact that it can carry helicopters doesn't seem to be the most significant feature of the craft, most ships have a helipad on them afaik, the full flight deck or well deck would seem more pertinent.

IIRC the "Landing" part refers to the well deck.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Renault D1 next please, lets learn about French armour!

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

Sometimes you get tables. Although tables are more common at the turn of the 17th/18th century I've seen plenty from the 1640s and two from the 1630s.
That is a tabbed casualty report from the 30s:

This is a table from the 1640s, summarizing the contents of company muster rolls for an entire regiment. Some tables are relatively simple, but the "master tables," like this one, could be very complex:

The tables in the collection of papers this one came from were often used as wrappers for muster rolls--so a bundle of papers would be muster rolls and quartering reports, etc., for individual companies, wrapped in a folder which summarizes those results for the regiment. Very useful to just glance at if you're on the way somewhere, and it also minimizes the amount of paper you have to carry around.

This is really cool!!

I wonder how tables were developed. I guess at some point it had to have been a pretty new/useful concept. In general I don't know much about the whole logistical side of military history.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

OwlFancier posted:

it carries the most helos as far as US amphibs go so maybe they wanted to focus on that. Dunno. Navy is weird.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fusion Restaurant posted:

This is really cool!!

I wonder how tables were developed.

e: tables were invented really early

quote:

Between the 4th millennium BC and the 3rd millennium BC, the ruling leaders and priests in ancient Iran had people oversee financial matters. In Godin Tepe (گدین تپه) and Tepe Yahya (تپه يحيی), cylindrical tokens that were used for bookkeeping on clay scripts were found in buildings that had large rooms for storage of crops. In Godin Tepe's findings, the scripts only contained tables with figures, while in Tepe Yahya's findings, the scripts also contained graphical representations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_accounting

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 23, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OwlFancier posted:

For it to count as a euphemism it'd need to be "amphibious support ship" or something.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Nenonen posted:

For it to count as a euphemism it'd need to be "amphibious support ship" or something.

Stealing this

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The first archaic cuneiform was used for what can basically be understood as tables (symbol for thing, vertical line, number of things), and that gradually became a written language, so it could be said that tables predate writing altogether.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

no that's the george pickett medal

Pickett and his men never had a chance and he wasn't the one who ordered it anyway.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
God help me, but I'm reading Turtledove's new thing, and it's not that bad. Not that bad relative to his other works, just so you know. It does the horrible thing that most Turtledove works do of recycling anecdotes and expressions and other stuff.

This series posits that, in the winter of 1950-51, the Korean War becomes a greater world atomic conflict. This was obviously chosen for certain factors. Atom bombs fall like rain, but they're Hiroshima/Nagasaki atom bombs, not the later hydrogen types. Nobody has yet come up with a bomber greater than the B-29/Tu-4, so that's what the war is fought with.

I'd still not recommend it, but he's at least chosen an interesting point of departure. This beats his trilogy about how history would be so different and better if Eastern North America wasn't where it was in real life, but floating out in the mid-Atlantic. If it was some other author, I would tell you to read this book.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

FastestGunAlive posted:

When we had a catastrophic typhoon in Saipan last year that knocked out the water systems, the Navy sent an LHD up from Guam for relief efforts, which included carrying utility poles and bucket trucks, and bringing in a reverse osmosis system.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FastestGunAlive posted:

I guess it's all down to how much power/water you need and how much you mind burning through fuel to generate it. I bet you can get an LHD to a lot more places than a full sized carrier as well though.

OwlFancier posted:

I have some bad news about the well deck :v:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
LHD's might have their uses, but I think we can all agree on that allowing Marines to put toy planes on them is dumb.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Crossposting from the Cold War/airpower thread but figured it might be of interest here too:

I went to the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum in Sussex, UK on Saturday. It's an independent museum on the site of an old RAF base with a pretty cool range of postwar/Cold War British aircraft on display. Took a few pics that I thought this thread would be a good place for - on a phone so excuse poor quality. I also somehow failed to get any pics of the Lightning and the Sea Vixen they also have.

Westland Wessex helicopter

F4 Phantom in RAF livery - this airframe was one of the first delivered to the RAF in 1968, and spent the next 24 years doing not a lot in various places in the UK and Germany before being retired in 1992.

Hawker Hunter MK3 - this airframe was flown by the very Britishly named Squadron Leader Neville Duke to set a world air speed record of 727mph in 1953.

Hawker Hunter MK5 - nothing too remarkable about this one, except it took a brief holiday to Cyprus for five months on air defence duties during the Suez Crisis.

Slightly blurry Supermarine Swift FR5. Spent a couple of years in Germany in the late 50s/early 60s and sat on the ground in instructional and museum display roles ever since.

Gloster Meteor F4. This airframe is another world speed record setter, this time reaching 616mph when piloted by Group Captain Teddy Donaldson in 1946.

Lockheed T33 Shooting Star. This one was given as military aid to the French airforce in the 1950s, then transferred to the UK for use on US airbases when the French pulled out of NATO.

Interior shots of the pilot's seat and bomb aimer's position in the cockpit of a Canberra BR 3.

Hawker-Siddeley Harrier GR3 (right) and Sea Harrier FSR2. The Sea Harrier airframe was originally an FSR1 airframe but was used as the prototype for the upgrades that became the FSR2.

If anyone's in the area I'd recommend checking the place out - as well as the aircraft above and the Lightning and Sea Vixen they also have a Vampire and a Meteor F8, as well as cockpits from a few different aircraft and functioning replicas of the first Spitfire prototype and a Hurricane Mk1, and a load of aviation and SOE-related WW2 stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
As far as boat euphemisms go, nobody can gently caress with the JMSDF's "helicopter destroyers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BF1 is a really really really good battlefield game, and thankfully multiplayer is not a simulation but instead pulls every experimental gun around in 1918 and doles them out so you can have a fun game in the setting. It also does a pretty good job of creating situations analogous to reality. just yesterday me and my friends spent 5 minutes defending a capture point while hunkering in a trench, getting shelled and gassed, and fighting in close with shotguns and melee weapons as the attackers stormed the trench.

I would hazard to guess it will also spur far more actual interest in WW1 among young people as the single player is intended to at least somewhat depict reality

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/790476192444846080/pu/vid/314x180/dl6p-WfrVAjpwyU7.mp4